• You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Excellent choice indeed.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postoasiz, on 08 November 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

I'm glad Roz got interested on this game. Metal / distorted guitar was like the last thing I wanted. It's nice in smaller doses but it's way too overused. Modern electronic stuff is kind of a thing as well where they try to mimic analog synth sounds but even that seems to be more about getting a fat and echo'y sawtooth with the unnecesary tape-like distortion or just use otherwise tinny electronic sounds, ignoring the jazz / funk / disco that made the old stuff shine.

Yeah, it's kinda like that in videogames. The school of Mick Gordon is going strong now and I have no problem with that since the man made a highly influential masterpiece with Doom 2016's OST... but sometimes that type of music can feel forced in the hands of a worse musician. The "true modern electronica" is kinda like this:

And we definitely need more of this kind of music but thankfully sometimes even the "Doom metal monster" can chill:

Also a special shoutout to Martin Stig Andersen for Wolfenstein TNC's atmospheric tracks.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 08 November 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

OOh, very nice.

I'm pretty done with the modern take on metal and rock in soundtracks myself. I don't even think it was the influences of Mick Gordon. No offense to Andrew Hulshut intended, but goddamn everything Apogee/3D Realms/Interceptors were putting out there for awhile was just metal remixes of the classics. The infamous Apogee logo re-imagining being the one that sticks out most in my mind. Not everything needs to be metal.

Personally i'd really love to hear a bombastic orchestral score for a First Person Shooter. Something with influences of Shirley Walkers work on Batman.

Not that i'm suggesting that for IM of course. I like the sound shaping up for IM, it fits the world they are creating perfectly.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Man, that Batman cartoon was the best ever for a variety of reasons.

User is offline   Hank 

I say, music is a personal preference. Thus I hope the background music is/will be an option, not a must listen too. :rolleyes:

• The Sarien Encounter

I know it'd be a huge blowup in expense and wouldn't make any business sense at all, but it would be really cool if at some point one game developer went crazy and hired like 3 composers to produce 3 separate soundtracks for the same game all toggleable in options. Perhaps one metal, one electronic, one orchestral. Maybe even an ambient soundtrack. Totally unrelated melodically, but all of them catered to the game's experience.

Total waste of money, but it would just be cool.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 November 2018 - 07:23 PM

User is online   Mark 

Even though the music posted earlier seems like good quality I got burned out from so much "tracker" music in the 90's I just don't care for it any more. The only backround I like in games these days is an ambient style that doesn't stand out. A lot of game tracks sound good by themselves but as part of the map, meh. I guess I've been around too long and it seems like its all been done before. But that may be just me. I'm an old timer.

• The Sarien Encounter

Actually, I'm more the opposite. I've had enough fill of boring random orchestral/ambient scores with no hummable themes or memorable melodies. I want themes. I want riffs. I want melodies. Repeating patterns. Even Doom 2016 is guilty of lacking this to a degree. For as many that say that its score is a spiritual successor to Quake 2, I have to say I disagree somewhat. It's similar for sure, but Quake 2's themes were a fair amount more melodious. Doom 2016's score is amazing, don't get me wrong. But it's more riffs and fills than actual themes.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostCommando Nukem, on 08 November 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Personally i'd really love to hear a bombastic orchestral score for a First Person Shooter. Something with influences of Shirley Walkers work on Batman.

Bulletstorm:

I was surprised by this soundtrack because I really don't like orchestral stuff in video games but this was great.

Btw. if we're talking Batman music Mask of the Phantasm is where it's at (also from Shirley Walker of course):

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 08 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

User is online   Mark 

I guess it depends on the theme/style of the map. If its strictly move fast and plow thru a horde of enemies in a blaze of glory map then an energetic soundtrack is helpful. But for anything else it will obscure the mood or immersion you try to set with ambient sound effects.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostMark, on 09 November 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

I guess it depends on the theme/style of the map. If its strictly move fast and plow thru a horde of enemies in a blaze of glory map then an energetic soundtrack is helpful. But for anything else it will obscure the mood or immersion you try to set with ambient sound effects.

We are designing the levels so that the game can be enjoyable without music as well. At some point in development we do a special sound pass specifically for this.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostMark, on 08 November 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

Even though the music posted earlier seems like good quality I got burned out from so much "tracker" music in the 90's I just don't care for it any more. The only backround I like in games these days is an ambient style that doesn't stand out. A lot of game tracks sound good by themselves but as part of the map, meh. I guess I've been around too long and it seems like its all been done before. But that may be just me. I'm an old timer.

Brian Eno's "Music for Airports" for Ion Maiden. (joking)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Posted Image

https://steamcommuni...714563516042278

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Looks good as always, but I don't like the left SMG for being just a mirrored image. Would be possible to create something like this?

Posted Image

The reload animation has a lot of frames, so I guess it would cost a bit, but it would look better in my opinion, just like the Uzis from Shadow Warrior. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPerro Seco, on 13 November 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Looks good as always, but I don't like the left SMG for being just a mirrored image.

and if someone did manage to randomly find a right handed and left handed SMG, why would they want the shell casings flying into their face instead of outward and away from them?

• el fundador

View PostForge, on 13 November 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

and if someone did manage to randomly find a right handed and left handed SMG, why would they want the shell casings flying into their face instead of outward and away from them?

You aren't familiar with the FN P90, or things like this guy?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTerminX, on 13 November 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

You aren't familiar with the FN P90, or things like this guy?

Okay.
well if we're going to play make-believe and attribute some characteristics of one weapon platform onto a completely different weapon platform, why have casing eject at all? Just go with caseless rail-gun physics.

ambi-ports still have to be "set" to either left or right - the casing don't fly out of both sides.
Doesn't change the point that having a weapon with the option to eject left or right handed would make somebody chose the option of having the casings eject into their face.
"Lets see. I can either hold these weapons in opposite hands or flick a selector to make these eject the empty shells over my shoulder. Hell naw! Hot brass to the face is the way to go!"

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 November 2018 - 01:38 PM

• el fundador

View PostForge, on 13 November 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

Okay.
well if we're going to play make-believe and attribute some characteristics of one weapon platform onto a completely different weapon platform

Isn't that what we're doing by creating fictional weapon platforms for video games in the first place?

ambi-ports still have to be "set" to either left or right - the casing don't fly out of both sides.
Doesn't change the point that having a weapon with the option to eject left or right handed would make somebody chose the option of having the casings eject into their face.

Whoa, who said they flew out both sides at the same time? That would be hilarious. :rolleyes: Somebody definitely forgot to flip the casing directions in IM when implementing the dual wielding and that will be fixed. There's definitely no intention to have hot brass pegging you in the dome.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostForge, on 13 November 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

Heskel has a rule for all his henchmen to have the first weapon Shelly picks up to be for left handed and all subsequent pickups to be for right handed people.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDaedolon, on 13 November 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

Heskel has a rule for all his henchmen to have the first weapon Shelly picks up to be for left handed and all subsequent pickups to be for right handed people.

The most plausible theory I've heard in three days

• Judge Mental

View PostDaedolon, on 13 November 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

Sa-wweeeet. Lovin' the speed. PEW PEW PEW!

View PostPerro Seco, on 13 November 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Looks good as always, but I don't like the left SMG for being just a mirrored image. Would be possible to create something like this?

Posted Image

The reload animation has a lot of frames, so I guess it would cost a bit, but it would look better in my opinion, just like the Uzis from Shadow Warrior. :rolleyes:

That's a nice edit.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 November 2018 - 07:22 PM, said:

I know it'd be a huge blowup in expense and wouldn't make any business sense at all, but it would be really cool if at some point one game developer went crazy and hired like 3 composers to produce 3 separate soundtracks for the same game all toggleable in options. Perhaps one metal, one electronic, one orchestral. Maybe even an ambient soundtrack. Totally unrelated melodically, but all of them catered to the game's experience.

Ahem
Posted Image
Spoiler

• The Sarien Encounter

I am intrigued.

User is offline   Forge 

Apparently the discord warriors had their sensibilities hurt over excessive "nitpicking" on ejection ports.

So, how about a logistics query - does the character's ammo carrying capacity double when the second weapon is picked up, and how many rounds, or percentage of maximum carry-able ammo, did you burn through in that short gif?

oh, and to appease the watchers, since this is what I'm 'supposed' to care about:

oOOOooo.....aaaAAAaaa...so pretty......that's so effin awesome....I want to have your babies....

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 November 2018 - 09:30 PM

User is offline   Forge 

I hate accidental double-posts & can't delete it, so why waste it:

New Ion Maiden enemy looks so realistic:
https://i.imgur.com/IoIwHpN.mp4

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 November 2018 - 09:42 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 November 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

I am intrigued.

THE SLEEPER HAZZZ AWAKEENNNEDDD!

View PostForge, on 13 November 2018 - 08:33 PM, said:

Apparently the discord warriors had their sensibilities hurt over excessive "nitpicking" on ejection ports.

Hahaha "discord warriors." People were seriously upset?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 November 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

Hahaha "discord warriors." People were seriously upset?

I wouldn't call it 'upset', but some people do tend to gnaw at a bone long after the flavor is gone.

On a positive note, there was talk of making "IM a realistic gun ejection port simulator instead [.] scrap all the work"

I can see the point though - I'm sure a lot of work was put into creating those weapons - just to have some knuckle-dragger make a drive-by comment can be a bit annoying.

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 November 2018 - 10:24 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Pedantry. It's a drug in the Information Generation.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

<awesome gameplay clip>

Shadow Warrior meets Rise of the Triad is what popped up in my head when watching this, and its absolutely great, thanks guys! :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options