• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHendricks266, on 25 October 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

Before the rumor trains get started, I want to say that PC Gamer's article "The team behind Ion Maiden is working on a new Quake engine game" is misinformation. Voidpoint has nothing to do with this Quake engine game. Perhaps the confusion arose because 3D Realms yet again failed to mention Voidpoint in its press materials.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 25 October 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Yep, I hope that was just a dumb mistake, and not 3D Realms deliberately trying to downplay Voidpoint's contribution. Fred clarified in the comments that 3D Realms is developing the Quake engine game in-house:I have fears that since Ion Maiden's the only great thing 3D Realms has been involved with since 2006, they might try to rewrite history. They should be proud that they backed a great game, but never fail to credit the team who is putting in the graft and making it a reality.

View PostJblade, on 26 October 2018 - 12:31 AM, said:

why are game journalists so fucking incompetent jesus christ, is it really that hard to even get the developer of the damn game correct?

Perhaps it was on purpose to push a name brand more people are familiar with (3D Realms) than someone they don't know? More chance of hype and sales?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 October 2018 - 04:34 AM, said:

Perhaps it was on purpose to push a name brand more people are familiar with (3D Realms) than someone they don't know? More chance of hype and sales?

The game should speak for itself, not the publisher. Based on the reaction to the trailer and preview campaign, that has certainly been the case.

Besides, after DNF and Bombshell, do you really think 3DR has that much brand power, to the extent that it should be the centre of attention?

It wasn't even 3DR's idea to have a fully-fledged build engine FPS. I'm not sure who's idea it was initially, but Ion Maiden only became a full game after the potential in the quality was seen, not because 3DR had any keen insight into the market.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 October 2018 - 04:34 AM, said:

Perhaps it was on purpose because 3dr hasn't done anything notable in the last 20 years besides fail, so they're desperately clinging to anything successful to use as self-glorification jizz paint

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMicky C, on 26 October 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

The game should speak for itself, not the publisher. Based on the reaction to the trailer and preview campaign, that has certainly been the case.

Besides, after DNF and Bombshell, do you really think 3DR has that much brand power, to the extent that it should be the centre of attention?

It wasn't even 3DR's idea to have a fully-fledged build engine FPS. I'm not sure who's idea it was initially, but Ion Maiden only became a full game after the potential in the quality was seen, not because 3DR had any keen insight into the market.

Of course, I agree with all of this. I'm just thinking from 3DR's perspective.

User is offline   Sanek 

Looks at this from the player's and the mass media's point of view.
3DRealms brand means nostalgia for a lot of people. When the company that made Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior is back with another game made in the same style you can't help yourself but get hyped for the product, no matter what kind of product it actually is.

There's no shortage of retro FPS's in today's market and as much as I respect all the hard work that went into Ion Maiden, I doubt that it'll have it's current success without 3DRealms being involved, both as a brand and a producer.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

3D Realms' PR firm has told us basically that in the past, and we fully understand how useful the 3D Realms name is to our marketing. However, there is more to the discussion than that.

Take a look at the press release: http://www.gamasutra...les_Q2_2019.php

Here are the counts for how often each name appears on the webpage.

3D Realms: 13
1C Entertainment: 15
Voidpoint: 0

When speaking to a live audience (think classrooms) on a complex/controversial/contentious topic, I introduce my material with the statement, "My first allegiance is to the truth."

If a publisher cannot be arsed to mention the developer of their game even once, it means accurately representing the truth is not their highest concern.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

Its a shame that Voidpoint wasn't mentioned once in that article. I really hope 3DR doesn't try to take steal the developer's credit for this because that would be a d*ck move.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I've actually seen confusion because of them leaving out Voidpoint's name on other sites. Lots of "they should finish Ion Maiden before making a new game" and stuff like that. Luckily people usually point out its different teams, but there shouldn't be confusion in the first place.

At least if anything were to happen and Voidpoint makes a new game with a different publisher/self publishing they can promote that they created Ion Maiden.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 27 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Yeah, imagine how unseemly it would be if 3D Realms had hyped up Max Payne without mentioning Remedy. For a company that's been involved with in so many collaborations with amazing developers, it's not a cool thing to do, and seems to be at odds with their history.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostHendricks266, on 26 October 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

3D Realms' PR firm has told us basically that in the past, and we fully understand how useful the 3D Realms name is to our marketing. However, there is more to the discussion than that.

When speaking to a live audience (think classrooms) on a complex/controversial/contentious topic, I introduce my material with the statement, "My first allegiance is to the truth."

If a publisher cannot be arsed to mention the developer of their game even once, it means accurately representing the truth is not their highest concern.

Then make sure 3DR hears that message loud and clear. Without Voidpoint, there is no Ion Maiden.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Well the whole thing is a farce anyway.

3D Realms isn't "3D Realms."

It's just a name. The PEOPLE who made 3D Realms/Apogee what it was are not there. It's all new people. So the pretty logo doesn't mean dick diddly until they actually put out something really good.

Voidpoint, at least as far as we are concerned in this community, is a known quantity. The talent there is well known.

• The Sarien Encounter

Will this influence whether you work with 3DR in the future?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

That might be smarter for them to just not even answer one way or the other.

They are a "bigger", so they know they can do almost as they please, instead imagine if one us, common mortals, do a similar thing, lots of problems will come.
A lie in the world that i always hated, "the law is equal for all", suuuuuure...

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 October 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

Voidpoint, at least as far as we are concerned in this community, is a known quantity. The talent there is well known.

From my point of view this site is in general FULL of QUALITY, this should deserve more visits, rewards and appreciaations :rolleyes:.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostMicky C, on 26 October 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

It's a long story, some day... :rolleyes:

User is offline   Forge 

Randy was being a cunt to fred and Tx about the duke character usage (HTTK & Mass Destruction), so they teamed up to use an old 3dr throw away concept character to make something better than anything gearbox has in the last 10 years.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Randy acted within his legal rights. Otherwise he has always been nice to us.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFox, on 28 October 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

Randy acted within his legal rights. Otherwise he has always been nice to us.
Posted Image

Didn't say what he did wasn't within his rights to do. Just being a greedy cunt with an i.p. is all.
I'm fine with it. We got Ion Maiden out of the non-deal.

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been going back to this and trying to find all the secrets. I've narrowed it down to 3 missing secrets in each level (6 total). I cannot find them for the life of me.

EDIT: Make that 5 total. Just found one more in Level 2.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Let's get a few things straight here.

First, there is no one more proud of Voidpoint than me (and the rest of 3D Realms).
We've always, throughout all of Ion Maidens development, credited Voidpoint, and we continue to do so.
They made what started as a simple idea of making a new Build Engine FPS, into a game beyond what we could ever imagine.

Second, the press release written by the PR company Stride doesn't mention VP. That's a big but honest mistake.
Not a malicious one by any means and we've asked for a correction the second we found out.

Let's not create any unnecessary drama here. VP, 3DR and 1C are very close collaborators on this and we absolutely love working together.
But some things (And honest mistakes) can easily be taken as malicious intent, or completely out of context.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 28 October 2018 - 03:09 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, let's not blow someone's big fuckup too far out of proportion. It's being corrected and isn't something that will happen again.

Otherwise, new title of the game: Voidpoint presents Voidpoint's Ion Maiden (by Voidpoint)!

Seriously though, before anything gets out of hand, I want to quell any forming rumors that there's any kind of issue between us and 3DR--there isn't. Someone simply made a large mistake. We aren't happy about it but all we can do is correct it and move on. We aren't dwelling on it and you shouldn't either.

User is online   Mark 

Everyone now remove their tin foil hats and place them carefully back on the shelf until next time. :rolleyes:

• The Sarien Encounter

Great to hear. We just love these guys and know they've worked very hard. And they deserve credit at long last. Not even just for Ion Maiden, but EDuke32 in general and the important role they've had in the community. It was a bit concerning to see the hiccup at first and, naturally, we jumped to their defence. Glad to see everything's sorted and everyone's friends. :rolleyes: We're all too used to things not going as planned here at Duke4.net so the paranoia is at least a bit understandable.

Rock on, guys.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 28 October 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

Let's not create any unnecessary drama here.

Wow, blame third parties? How clever.
I do run stuff too, and when the shit hits the fan, I'll take full blame! Why? Jolly good questions! 'cause I pay da all dem those bills, for the peeps, dat ah working for me, an dey do whatta tell 'em.
Anyway, I did not even know there is a rumor that Voidpoint and 3D Realms are estranged, only that 3D Realms is a thoroughly fucked entity.

And I'm sure, I won't see anything pro Voidpoint mentioned of 3D Realms fine website, correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, and for the record, I am a huge fan of Ion Maiden.

Thanks for reading, hopefully you can can read beyond my utter disgust with 3D Realms, and get your act straight.

This post has been edited by Hank: 28 October 2018 - 05:35 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Of course we're going to defend the home team when we think they've been slighted - especially after the third (forth?) time it's happened.

View PostHank, on 28 October 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

Thanks for reading, hopefully you can can read beyond my utter disgust with 3D Realms, and get your act straight.

practice moderation. your liver will will thank you.

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 October 2018 - 05:53 PM

• Slipgate Studios

View PostHank, on 28 October 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

Wow, blame third parties? How clever.
I do run stuff too, and when the shit hits the fan, I'll take full blame! Why? Jolly good questions! 'cause I pay da all dem those bills, for the peeps, dat ah working for me, an dey do whatta tell 'em.
Anyway, I did not even know there is a rumor that Voidpoint and 3D Realms are estranged, only that 3D Realms is a thoroughly fucked entity.

And I'm sure, I won't see anything pro Voidpoint mentioned of 3D Realms fine website, correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, and for the record, I am a huge fan of Ion Maiden.

There's no blame game here.

I take full responsibility as I was in a position to make sure that this didn't happen. I'll be the first one to credit where credit is due.
I do in fact believe it was an honest mistake - not a malicious one as you make it out to be.

Good to see you're still here Hank!

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 28 October 2018 - 11:53 PM, said:

not a malicious one as you make it out to be.

I wouldn't say 'malicious', more like incompetent - since this just one in a list of articles and video interviews that 'accidentally' omit mentioning voidpoint.
Kinda like the advert for Ion Maiden on the 3dr page - the one where 3dr takes credit for the build engine, but doesn't mention Ken. No textual mention of Voidpoint, and if you blink during the reveal trailer, you'll miss the fine-print mention of Voidpoint.

Maybe it's just lackadaisical, kinda like the 3dr forum where no one on staff answers questions, or responds to concerns. Like, why is a patch several weeks late.
(I'm glad the person responsible got better, since he was allegedly sick, but we had to hear that from here, not at the 3dr forum).

3dr deserves credit for helping bring Ion Maiden to the consumers, bu they're coming across as glory-grabbers & using voidpoint as a stepping stone.

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 October 2018 - 06:13 AM

• Slipgate Studios

View PostForge, on 29 October 2018 - 06:08 AM, said:

I wouldn't say 'malicious', more like incompetent - since this just one in a list of articles and video interviews that 'accidentally' omit mentioning voidpoint.
Kinda like the advert for Ion Maiden on the 3dr page - the one where 3dr takes credit for the build engine, but doesn't mention Ken. No textual mention of Voidpoint, and if you blink during the reveal trailer, you'll miss the fine-print mention of Voidpoint.

Maybe it's just lackadaisical, kinda like the 3dr forum where no one on staff answers questions, or responds to concerns. Like, why is a patch several weeks late.
(I'm glad the person responsible got better, since he was allegedly sick, but we had to hear that from here, not at the 3dr forum).

3dr deserves credit for helping bring Ion Maiden to the consumers, bu they're coming across as glory-grabbers & using voidpoint as a stepping stone.

I'm sorry you feel it's been "Incompetent". All material, including websites, marketing material and trailers have been done in very close collaboration with Voidpoint.

This is not a case of 3D Realms simply publishing a title, developed by a third party, with no collaboration between both parties.
Initially we approached Voidpoint (And several other build-engine enthusiasts) during pre-production if Ion Maiden here on Duke4.net (You can look up the original thread), to assemble a team to work on this game.
Simply due to the fact that we alone, didn't have the experience with the Build engine required to pull this off. We wanted the best of the best.

And there are no one better than Voidpoint.

Richard/Evan took the lead on making sure Ion Maiden became as good as it did, and they did a tremendous job on it. But it's marketing and public efforts have been a tight and collaborative effort between all of us.
The whole IM team have been part of designing, planning and giving feedback to stuff like trailers, key-art, boxed edition, website designs etc.
(And continue to do so. Our entire content plan has been written in collaboration between all IM developers and 3DR).

About the 3D Realms forums - Yes we're not paying too much attention to it, as 90% of all communication with our community happens through Discord these days.
Joe is occasionally checking up on the Forums, but I've not been good at keeping up with the topics. Something I definitely need to improve upon.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 29 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 29 October 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

But it's marketing and public efforts have been a tight and collaborative effort between all of us.

Seems you forgot to send Evan the memo

I'm not accusing you of pulling a Randy with Colonial Marines, I'm calling you a camera hog, Fred.
If you're not doing it intentionally, then your PR department is incompetent.

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on 29 October 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Seems you forgot to send Evan the memo

I'm not accusing you of pulling a Randy with Colonial Marines, I'm calling you a camera hog, Fred.
If you're not doing it intentionally, then your PR department is incompetent.

It's not worth pushing this any more and it's not benefitting anyone, really. We're all trying to make the best game out there for everyone and that's the same goal for us. Yes there have been some mistakes and those have been acknowledged, they won't happen again. We apreciate the defense but what we all need at this moment is to look forward to the future and make something awesome we can all enjoy :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options