• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

We have already been conducting internal beta testing with community members, by invitation only. The aim of this round will be different, which is why opening it to the public is important.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Of course.

Good to hear that progress has reached this stage.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

https://twitter.com/...532252953837571
Posted Image

This post has been edited by brullov: 11 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View Postbrullov, on 11 November 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

WOW! My favorite touch is the damaged chair decal. Talk about attention to detail!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Holy moly!

Did anyone else notice the physics and interactivity??!?! The bomb blew up the closest chair and pushed away and partially damaged the chair to the right. The gibs also seem to have some nice physics.

Still, where are the skeletons in those bad guys?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Now that's what I call substantial carnage! XD

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postbrullov, on 11 November 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Wow, I dunno...

- The explosion looks nice.
- The "particles" look nice.
- Graphical artifact near the explosion... looks bad.
- Very static animations and a firing animation that actually looks terrible.
- Seemingly no environmental destruction.

Half good, half bad so far but of course it's only a one second video.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 12 November 2017 - 02:02 AM

User is offline   Loke 

I like those classic Doom-style gibs. Looks great!

Posted Image

• Honored Donor

View PostZaxx, on 12 November 2017 - 02:01 AM, said:

Wow, I dunno...

- The explosion looks nice.
- The "particles" look nice.
- Graphical artifact near the explosion... looks bad.
- Seemingly no environmental destruction.

Half good, half bad so far but of course it's only a one second video.

Did you really have to quote it? It's only 3 posts above...

Anyway I agree it would be nice to have a bit more environmental destruction. It's pretty hard to do destructible geometry in a generalized way of course, but perhaps some textures could be replaced by damaged textures. Especially obviously fragile textures like those computer screens. It would be interesting to see how far the game can push environmental destruction though the altering of wall and floor/ceiling textures in proximity to explosions and gunfire. On the other hand it'd need to be somewhat restricted and controlled in order to look good and consistent. I.e things like bookshelves with books getting damaged would only look good if the wall is split up such that there isn't a 10m long bookshelf getting ruined from a single explosion at one end.

Still, the game is in development and I'm there's improvements to come in the future.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I think it looks good but maybe too busy. With Build it's very tempting to keep adding more sprites moving around because that's one of the few effects that is easy to achieve. The problem is when the various sprites are overlayed on top of each other it can create a mess. The sprites that look like droplets in the middle of the explosion animation seem excessive, for example. Contrary to Zaxx, I think that hand animation looks fine. However, the timing of it seems off -- imo the projectile should spawn when the animation is about half completed, not at the beginning of it.

Looks absolutely groovy to me. Can’t wait to see more!

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostTrooper Dan, on 12 November 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

imo the projectile should spawn when the animation is about half completed, not at the beginning of it.

It's always the best for feedback to shooting (or throwing in this case) to be instant in a first person shooter. I don't think I've ever used a satisfactory gun in an FPS that delays the firing after the immediate user press to make way for an animation.

User is offline   Mark 

From the position of the hand it looks like it would be an arced underhand toss. But to me it looks like its being shot straight out of the barrel of a weapon. Its hard to tell for sure, there may be a slight arc at the end. But the arc should be more in the middle.

I suppose a balance had to be found as far as projectile speed and arc. I think it would look more realistic if slowed down and arced higher but it might affect gameplay and so it needed to be how it is now.

I'll have to go back and take a look at how throwing dynamite or a bomb works in RR and Blood. Maybe they are all like this. I don't remember.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

The bombs don't work as grenades or the tnt bundle. These are bowling bombs so usually you release them before finishing the hand swing.

As you can see those panels are floor and ceiling textures. No as easy to break but we will take a look into the possibility. Just be sure there will be lots of destruction though.

Thanks for the feedback and comments.

Zaxx Could you point me to the graphical artifact near the explosion? Thanks.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 12 November 2017 - 07:37 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostZaxx, on 12 November 2017 - 02:01 AM, said:

the direction the hand comes forward & the direction the projectile goes doesn't match up - the grenade is shooting straight out from the center of the screen, but the hand appears to be moving from right to left.

but that could be an illusionary product of the following sentence.v

agree with dan: the timing between the hand and grenade seems off.

also agree with Mark. - either the toss is too close to tell, or there's no arc in the projectile - it moves pretty flat.

View PostDavoX, on 12 November 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

The bombs don't work as grenades or the tnt bundle. These are bowling bombs so usually you release them before finishing the hand swing.

Posted Image

the projectile appears to be in the air, not on the floor. More like a softball than a bowling ball.
-Even then professional softball pitchers usually have a windup & then their hand doesn't come up that high after release.

Posted Image
Posted Image

edit: these are just my opinions, and it is a game, so use whatever laws of physics & motion you want.

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostDavoX, on 12 November 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

Zaxx Could you point me to the graphical artifact near the explosion? Thanks.

There is a weird vertical yellow line at the base of the explosion. Looks like those good old graphical glitches of EDuke32.

User is offline   Forge 

it also appears the explosion doesn't match up to where the projectile "lands"

User is offline   Forge 

View PostZaxx, on 12 November 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

There is a weird vertical yellow line at the base of the explosion. Looks like those good old graphical glitches of EDuke32.

it's caused by the projectile leaving anomalies before there's even an explosion.

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

User is online   Tekedon 

View PostMicky C, on 11 November 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Holy moly!

Did anyone else notice the physics and interactivity??!?! The bomb blew up the closest chair and pushed away and partially damaged the chair to the right. The gibs also seem to have some nice physics.

Still, where are the skeletons in those bad guys?

Blood did this in 1997 :D

I think the hand somehow looks to masculine in the gif.

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 12 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostZaxx, on 12 November 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

Ah. That's the projectile trail it leaves behind. It only spawned one because it immediately touched an enemy. Otherwise you'd see a bomb following an enemy and leaving a trail behind until there's an explosion or a full stop.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostDavoX, on 12 November 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

Ah. That's the projectile trail it leaves behind. It only spawned one because it immediately touched an enemy. Otherwise you'd see a bomb following an enemy and leaving a trail behind until there's an explosion or a full stop.

Oh yeah, now I see it in the frames before the explosion too... but why does it stay there during the explosion?

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

It has a slight delay of time to dissapear. That's why it hasn't dissapeared yet. Its not really noticeable when ingame, don't worry :D

This post has been edited by DavoX: 12 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

While I don't have the expertise and knowledge of the Build Engine that most people here do, it looks pretty damn good to me! :D

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, it's a weird little TRON-like trail thing. The same sort of weapon in Bombshell has them, too. Not an artifact.

P.s. we didn't code sector/wall texture destruction based on radius damage yet. It will definitely be in the game.

• Honored Donor

Groovy!

View PostDavoX, on 12 November 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

I'd assumed it was a bomb fuse myself.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDaedolon, on 12 November 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

It's always the best for feedback to shooting (or throwing in this case) to be instant in a first person shooter. I don't think I've ever used a satisfactory gun in an FPS that delays the firing after the immediate user press to make way for an animation.

Then at least make the hand come up at the same time instead of with a delay, and make the hand line up with the projectile.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I was already mentioned that it's not lobbed in the way you assume (not that you can tell much in a gif/animation with most of the frames cut unfortunately). So repeating yourself doesn't do much good. :D

I'm sure it will all make sense when the game is playable.

User is offline   Maisth 

Looks like we are back in track ladies!

User is offline   axl 

View PostLoke, on 12 November 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

I like those classic Doom-style gibs. Looks great!

Indeed ! Looks awesome !!

Looks terrific! And can't wait to hear the one liners said during moments like this.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options