• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

For any messages that aren't handled by the old quote system, the coder would need to add a check for the player's messages setting before displaying the message. That's not necessarily desirable, though, because a player familiar with EDuke32 might assume that by turning off "messages" they are only turning off the ones that normally get turned off in Eduke32.

User is offline   Kathy 

There could be just a different option like "turning off help messages" if it's not desirable to mix up both.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Help messages are really just one-off right now and you shouldn't see them again after the first instance.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I really couldn't care less about help messages. Leave em for all I care.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Nah, it's not that big of a deal. Just thought I could turn them off with that option.

View PostKathy, on 30 January 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

Nah, it's not that big of a deal. Just thought I could turn them off with that option.

Just wanted to add my two cents on the voice work. I enjoyed Valerie's work in Bombshell, and I like what I've heard in Ion Maiden.

For those writing/directing the lines, if you feel the need to add a little to it, that's not a problem. But I don't think you should start doubting yourselves and changing things up. Keep on doing what you're doing!

The new level was cool. Overall it seemed a bit more like a display piece than the earlier ones, feeling less fleshed out in regards to action and more of a showcase for what the textures and effects can do, not that this wasn't fun or anything, I enjoyed it. I couldn't seem to turn off the jukebox after starting it though (admittedly I never tried bashing it, which may have worked, didn't have much time) which quickly began to clash with the background music, not a big deal and I need to go through it again and perform further explorations.

On the alternate weapon modes, one thing is I don't think the bowling bomb should explode on you. It happens quick, the on-screen meter is nice but can be tough to keep track of the alternate fire one during the action. And you don't want to feel like you're punishing the player, your most iconic weapon should feel safe and reliable, not unwieldy. Not sure what the exact solution is, maybe have her just put it away and pull out another one. And in general, other than the homing version of the main attack, none of it's attacks feel that reliable to me. And with a weapon that you have limited ammo on, you want reliable. I do still like the homing version of this weapon though.

I do like the alt fire for her revolver though, especially that it fires twice if targeting one enemy. Fun for taking out those spider robots.

The idea of story scenes was mentioned, do we know if those are in the game? Illustrated text cutscenes like Duke 3D or something like that? A few of those would be cool for sure.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 31 January 2019 - 02:31 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Oh, forget to mention. The alt fire for revolver. I think the crosshair should contain enough information when targeting enemy. Instead of skull icon appearing near the enemy the whole crosshair could become red(or 'locked') so that information is contained only there. Having skull near enemy looks way too arcadey, unless that was the intention.

View Postcosmonautcowboy, on 30 January 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Just wanted to add my two cents on the voice work. I enjoyed Valerie's work in Bombshell, and I like what I've heard in Ion Maiden.

For those writing/directing the lines, if you feel the need to add a little to it, that's not a problem. But I don't think you should start doubting yourselves and changing things up. Keep on doing what you're doing!

Want to chime in and say the same -- Ion Maiden has the best one-liners in recent memory, at least for this kind of game. They don't get annoying, and there's no dated references. Good job!

User is offline   John Brown 

I just replayed HHH on Maximum Violence, and found all 8 secrets without a guide (hooray, warm fuzzies). I found the challenge to be sufficient enough, the flying torso robots and grenade launcher guys were the biggest threat, but not too bad. The crossbow is giving me pleasant flashbacks to my younger days with Jedi Knight, and I paid closer attention to Shelly's voice this time. Really, I have no complaints there, I enjoyed what I heard. My favorite is still one of her old lines ("Clean up on aisle... YOUR ASS") but I like the new stuff, especially the Shadow Warrior reference.

I just hope I don't have to wait an extra week/month/who-knows for the GOG version of the final game to drop (I know it's not any of your fault).

User is offline   Hank 

I moved from Wanton Carnage to Maximum Violence: The actors shoot more accurately and are more 'outgoing'. Good luck making all those head shots at moving targets. :lol:
What a game :)

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMrFlibble, on 26 January 2019 - 03:35 AM, said:

So, is there going to be a level taking place in the Jungle of Doom as well?

Also loved that Shadow Warrior reference :)

Ok now I have no idea if the level title was in any way meant to reference that game, but it would be awesome if the full version had some Hugo reference in the House of Horror's level... a gorilla mask in a closet, a pumpkin with a key inside, a hideous bat painting on a wall, something.

User is offline   Master O 

How many Iron Maiden references will this game have?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHank, on 02 February 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

I moved from Wanton Carnage to Maximum Violence: The actors shoot more accurately and are more 'outgoing'. Good luck making all those head shots at moving targets. :lol:
What a game :)

It changes the AI? Not fan of that approach. Especially, when that info isn't given while choosing difficulty.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostKathy, on 03 February 2019 - 01:22 AM, said:

It changes the AI? Not fan of that approach. Especially, when that info isn't given while choosing difficulty.

I'm not certain. All I'm giving is my 'first' impression, at top difficulty. The way the level's are laid out play a significant role as well. It can be as simple as just having more enemies to deal with; and they have more time to attack and run towards the player, i.e. fulfill their intended program.

Bottom line, it is a must have game, when it comes out. :)

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Skill4 is not meant for first play and you could think of it as a slightly modified like you had in many other old games where they maybe tweaked one or two NOPs away from their behavior to make them more aggressive.

Traditional "more or less enemies" approach doesn't work too well these days as some just simply require a lot more reaction time, no matter the enemy count.
If we had to balance the game for our tastes then we'd probably do skill4 as medium, but naturally that isn't possible :)

Just think of as 1-3 for first play and skill4 being the more unfair one that actually requires you to remember & hunt for secrets.

Overall skill4 still has very little core changes as we don't want it to force you to re-learn the whole AI

User is offline   Kathy 

Frankly, I couldn't finish the level on skill3. The last lift is too hard with different enemies and scarce resources. Haven't tried it enough to 'ragequit', but decided not to bother after realising I couldn't reload save after update.

User is offline   Jblade 

Skill 4 felt good, I think the only part that really gave me trouble is the big open outdoor area in front of the GDF offices as there's enemies on all side who just whittle you down.

User is offline   Sanek 

I'm kinda late to the party, but I'm finally played this new House of Horrors level.
Overall, I like it. New weapons and enemies is quite good (although barely distinguishable), and level design is top notch. I like all the small things that you can interact with, like pictures or microwave. Love that door in the cellar!
One bug that I noticed is when you look at the security screen from the distance (i.e. don't use it), the skybox is all wrecked up.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostSanek, on 09 February 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

I'm kinda late to the party, but I'm finally played this new House of Horrors level.
Overall, I like it. New weapons and enemies is quite good (although barely distinguishable), and level design is top notch. I like all the small things that you can interact with, like pictures or microwave. Love that door in the cellar!
One bug that I noticed is when you look at the security screen from the distance (i.e. don't use it), the skybox is all wrecked up.

Yeah, we know about the skybox problem, it just wasn't worth holding up the release for.

• The Sarien Encounter

Has the question been asked yet of whether it's been considered to put Ion Maiden on the Epic Games Store because of the better developer percentage cut?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Has it been considered to put Ion Maiden on the 3D Realms store?
Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Does anyone know where I can find dimensions for the Ion Maiden T-shirts? I was thinking of buying one but I'm not sure which size I should get.

This post has been edited by Radar: 22 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 February 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Has the question been asked yet of whether it's been considered to put Ion Maiden on the Epic Games Store because of the better developer percentage cut?

It's something we wouldn't mind doing, but since Epic's store doesn't really provide the same level of services as Steam yet (will it ever?) there isn't a whole lot of reason for customers to purchase the game there. We might reconsider if the situation changes.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, just don't pull it from the other platforms if you go to Epic. I don't think these "exclusive" deals are a very customer-friendly move. One should always have a choice.

• The Sarien Encounter

Well, it's on GOG too so I doubt exclusivity would be a worry here.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 February 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

Well, it's on GOG too so I doubt exclusivity would be a worry here.

And that's kinda why going to the Epic Store doesn't make that much sense for IM: Epic needs those exclusivity deals because they know that without them people will just go and buy on Steam instead. So imo sure, the more stores the game is available on the merrier but really IM ticks all the boxes even without going to Epic:

- The game is available on a mainstream store: Steam.
- It has a DRM-free option in GOG.
- If you buy on the 3DR store then more money is going towards the publisher.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 February 2019 - 02:28 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

If Epic needs exclusivity, then it doesn't provide other incentives. If having it on Epic store without exclusivity comes at almost no additional work, then why not. If anything, Epic needs content.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostKathy, on 24 February 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

If Epic needs exclusivity, then it doesn't provide other incentives.

I think that's kind of a flawed argument, I mean what they could provide? Steam pretty much has everything you'd want from a game client covered now apart from providing DRM-free versions of the games you've bought. That's the only "plus" Epic could provide but in reality that's pretty impossible since big publishers still believe in DRM so they won't sell their games without it.

That leaves exclusivity deals and reduced prices as the options available to them but only one of those can work really: Steam's playerbase is loyal to their platform so they won't buy somewhere else even if it's slightly cheaper. On the other hand I think Epic is fucking up consumer good will by buying up shit instead of them making proper first party games for their platform. It's clear that the kids playing Fortnite won't be enough to get customers so what they should be doing instead is stuff like finishing up UT4, remastering Unreal / making an Unreal 3, remastering Jazz Jackrabbit / making a new Jazz game, somehow getting their Gears of War titles on there etc. Every single one of those games could get a small but significant when combined number of customers.

But at least they managed to get Journey from Sony and I missed out on that one on PS3 so I'll buy that.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 24 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options