Duke4.net Forums: A game from 1995 has left me astonished - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A game from 1995 has left me astonished

View PostOuttagum, on 12 October 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

A new Terminator FPS with RPG elements (skill leveling, inventory, crafting, npc interactivity, multiple endings) is scheduled to be released next month. https://store.steamp...tor_Resistance/

That looks interesting. I hope there will be even more freedom of exploration than in its predecessors.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The sewers of Future Shock and Skynet are like the air ducts of Half-Life

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

30 minutes of gameplay dropped from T: Resistance:
https://www.youtube....1&v=GIEU-uBVTiE
What the actual fuck?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 20 October 2019 - 06:34 AM

View PostZaxx, on 20 October 2019 - 06:33 AM, said:

What the actual fuck?

Doesn't that give you the will to ask/demand/beg Bethesda for remake or re-imagining of Future Shock and Skynet ?

P.S: Infiltration is the only thing that was missing in Future Shock and Skynet, but would have been hard to implement, as you cannot even crouch and move at the same time...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 20 October 2019 - 09:09 AM

The Goliaths are trully bullet sponges in this game, at the extent I was wondering if they could be destroyed...

View PostZaxx, on 20 October 2019 - 06:33 AM, said:

What the actual fuck?

No longer available due to a copyright claim by Playstation access.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postgemeaux333, on 20 October 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

Doesn't that give you the will to ask/demand/beg Bethesda for remake or re-imagining of Future Shock and Skynet ?

I watched the video a bit while it was still on and honestly I'd refrain from any judgement for now. It might very well turn out to be a decent game, but certainly not anything like Future Shock/SkyNET I guess.

What makes you think though that Bethesda would make a better game? I haven't played any of the recent Fallout titles (not a fan and can't be bothered) but as far as I can tell everything went ahead and away from the mid-90s designs. I imagine even if Bethesda will ever make a Terminator title and it gets to be a good one on its own merits, I believe that, most likely, it will only vaguely resemble the original XnGine games from back then.

Don't get me wrong, I quite understand that we might value FS/SN for completely different things. As I stated above, I like how the game was so ahead of its time, and innovative in many aspects. (BTW I only played the demo versions of both, with FS also including a pre-release demo which is much darker) There's a lot more to any pretensions of "realism" than in any "Doom clone" released to that point (the first demo is October 1995, months before Duke3D and Quake). I mean, you can blow up cars scattered around (which look no worse and maybe even better that Duke3D's sector-based props), enter random buildings and generally roam around, there are real-time lighting effects and all that, some really meaningful use of true 3D terrain. But at the same time the engine clearly struggles with the limitations of contemporary hardware, movement feels clunky, and in no way there can be such fast, pumping action as in either Duke3D or Quake.

I almost think that maybe Future Shock could indeed have been more successful as a game if they added more role-playing elements and toned down the pace a bit. I think Daggerfall suffers much less from the engine's limitations (well, discounting the bugs of course) simply because, as an RPG, it has less of the actual Doom like action. Future Shock on the other hand (as far as I can tell) often pits the player against some really powerful enemies like the Terminators with very little room to manoeuvre where some circle-strafing or cover-shooting would be in order should this have been your regular Doom clone in the good sense of the word. In the long run, a gameplay model where the player gets a lot of punishment that is hard to avoid, but gets to replenish health and armour after every such fight, is not very psychologically rewarding, to my mind.

I really appreciate how the developers of FS did not restrain their imagination and came up with really cool stuff like when, in SkyNETs facilities, you have to jump over bottomless pits to get to certain areas, or find your way around a multi-story building by entering the elevator shaft etc., but the engine's limitations clearly stand out here because of how bulky and hard to manouvre the player is, and how easy it gets to botch the stupid jump (for example) because you failed to properly time your button-pressing as controls are not responsive enough etc.

To repeat myself, what I personally would have liked is probably an indie game that would recreate the XnGine's look in high-res (because I think it's cool), keep the oppressive atmosphere, but it doesn't have to be about Terminators at all, and certainly needs improvements in gameplay balance.

The engines Bethesda are using in Fallout and Elder's Scrolls are not very different from the Xngine from back then, even those who have only played the latests Bethesda games are noticing how close these engines are when they see footages from Future Shock/skynet, as especially they are just as buggy (but we all know that a Bethesda game without bugs is not a Bethesda game, this is how Bethesda is Bethesda)...

As I say : if Bethesda can't do the remake single handledly, they can outsource it like they did for Fallout New Vegas, the devs of the latests Wolfenstein or Doom games would probably do the trick as long as they respect the original material as much as can be... (I don't dare to suggest Obsidian as Todd Howard have been ghosting them since the release of Fallout New Vegas, until very recently)

I forgot : Once Lost Games, aren't they suppose to ressurrect all the Daggerfall stuffs ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 11 November 2019 - 09:52 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

https://opencritic.c...ator-resistance
GmanLives liked it though.

User is offline   the_raven 

Oh, I remember this one. Got it on a collection cd back in 2000-something. Was too scared to play it because the way the future in Terminator was made freaked me out. That being said, I was still a kid back then. Would definitely give it another go today. Thanks for the topic, OP! (though yeah, it was originally posted five years ago :rolleyes: )

Civvie11 did it again :

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 16 January 2020 - 11:30 AM, said:

Good stuff. Civvie is as always on point.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I swear Civvie is just me in another life or something.

Played and beat Terminator Resistance recently, had the same thoughts, and also just happened to fucking play Trepang 2 demo right after.

Perhaps Bethesda should outsource the remake of Terminator : Future Shock / Skynet to Teyon...

User is offline   MrFlibble 

So apparently someone else is making an engine recreation on Unity:
https://twitter.com/...307635733966852

Interesting, could be the base of a good remaster

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

For some reason never posted in this thread, but I love Future Shock and Skynet. Had a similar reaction to it as OP. One of them is really buggy though, if anyone remembers the submarine mission? I had to stop there because it would crash every time.

A VR port could also be a good idea, very atmospheric game

User is offline   Sanek 

I like Future Shock. That's too bad that I played this game only a few years ago. I'm sure that if I played this game during my childhood, I'd love it just as much as Duke, Blood and Hexen. I apparently had it on warez cd collection, but for some reason never played it. Damn.

There's so much stuff that's ahead of it's time it's ridicilous. It sure sucked me in for a while, but I also must say that game becomes very repititive after awhile. I never actually finished Future Shock, that big sewer level was too unfair for me, and after a couple of levels I called it a day. Still, tremendous respect for this game.

I have volonteered to work on the french translation for the Unity wrapper of Terminator Future Shock, https://twitter.com/Rubikow accepted, and during my work I have found out that 2 missions have been scrapped from the final release and that Mission 12 was supposed to be split in 3 missions in the first place...
-the first scrapped mission was between missions 3 and 4 and was about driving a carload of prisonners/refugies to HQ, I bet it was removed because it felt more like a filler lever... but then mission 8 also would be...
-the second scrapped mission was between missions 6 and 7 and was about saving Bishop, you had to cross a bridge and then find him in a building, I bet it was removed when Bethesda decided to turn Bishop into a traitor and that he disapeared because of that...

it seems that some studios have the ambition to make a RTS based on the future war of Terminator Dark Fate :

https://store.steamp...Fate__Defiance/

With some fluke this game will be (much) better than the actual movie...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 17 December 2021 - 09:36 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options