Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] The Rock - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] The Rock  "The Rock"

User is offline   Paul B 

Welcome to The Rock.

To run the map, extract the zip file into your Eduke directory. Launch Eduke but before you launch the game make sure you select "TheRock" as the custom content directory and Polymer. I am using custom sounds for certain events.

This is a Polymer map which can be played with the HRP.

Don't forget to watch the movie if you haven't already seen it.

The Rock Download 6.9MB Download Size.

This map has been modified as of Feb 19 2017 to address several minor bugs including:

1) TROR sector pinching problem outside of morgue entrance. (Removed TROR stairs and replaced with a sprite staircase). Recreated an entire TROR area of the map.

2) Addressed an improper shower room trigger sequence which resulted in the shower room door opening then closing. Now the door just opens as it should and doesn't close and lock by itself. (Prevents the sequence from constantly triggering the one time event). This was corrected by using a Shooter S.E sprite coupled with 2- two way trains, controlling timed enemy respawns using 2 auto closing doors.

3) Added a few extra baddies where needed.

4) Removed 2 Atomic Health & added smaller health packages.

5) Corrected a problem with missing invisible blockable sprites around the semi trailer.

6) Corrected noticeable stretched textures and alignment problems.

7) Updated the associated TXT file to reflect modified file date.

8) Corrected a problem with Stayput enemies and TROR.

Hopefully my current changes haven't introduced more problems. =)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Rock1.png
  • Attached Image: Rock2.png
  • Attached Image: Rock3.png
  • Attached Image: Rock4.png
  • Attached Image: The_Rock.jpg

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

User is online   blizzart 

Great work. I love it!

It was a little bit confusing were to put all that key cards, but it really was a big fun to play. Funny thing, I watched the Rock two weeks ago on television and was wondering why nobody ever made a map from that movie. :)

The map also reminded me of Deadfall and Bedrone by Billy Boy.

I also had some minor framerate issues due to the heavy use of TROR I think.

I'll try it in the morn :)

I played it took me about 20 mins to beat it, It is Really good map.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Nice little linear to wide open progressive map. Also nice that you let people go where one would normally not be allowed to go in a traditional Duke map. Interesting to run around and find those missiles; the game play aspect was quite fun. Environmentally it's either gloomy, or real gloomy. There weren't very many instances of light - dark contrasts, and the map seemed overall a little too quiet. Good texture choices and some nicely tiered elevations.

User is offline   Paul B 

I did sorta go easy on the AI element. I figured since I used up a lot of fps on the design I didn't want to saturate the map too much otherwise it might come to a crawl. There's always a compromise, its tough to find that balance. Thanks for the feedback guys, I wasn't too sure how this style of game play was going to go over with the public. It's nice to see the majority of the people didn't mind running around looking for 9 missle guidance chips. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

User is online   blizzart 

View PostPaul B, on 27 May 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

I think I finally understand what is so special about polymost. It's all about texturing. I accidentally opened my map in Polymost and it is UNREAL how badly aligned some of the areas of the map were. Of course using Polymer this wasn't as obvious. I think I'll aligned some textures a bit more and refresh the post with an updated version just so things are a bit easier on the eyes.

Forge - I did sorta go easy on the AI element. I figured since I used up a lot of fps on the design I didn't want to saturate the map too much otherwise it might come to a crawl. There's always a compromise, its tough to find that balance. Thanks for the feedback guys, I wasn't too sure how this style of game play was going to go over with the public. It's nice to see the majority of the people didn't mind running around looking for 9 missle guidance chips. =)

For some unknown reason, I saw the red keycard AND the missile sprite ingame. And I was wondering what that missile sprite was good for, because I couldn´t pck it up or could do anything with it. :)

User is offline   Forge 

I didn't mind the running around. The layout wasn't that confusing and you put in two red key slots. A few of the keys were a bit too close together and Duke was over armed with some pretty powerful weapons, but it wasn't too bad. The enemy encounters seemed well though out for the most part.

User is offline   faked 

Nice looking and fun to play! :)

User is offline   Paul B 

So i'm curious to know if anyone remembers or has played the original DE_ROCK.map in Half-life Counter-Strike 1.6?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPaul B, on 28 May 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

So i'm curious to know if anyone remembers or has played the original DE_ROCK.map in Half-life Counter-Strike 1.6?

No. I have never played half-life nor any of its sequels

Is that the updated map in the OP?

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 28 May 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

No. I have never played half-life nor any of its sequels

Is that the updated map in the OP?

Yea, I just updated it again. I just wanted to actually play test it to make sure I didn't accidentally screw something up when I was making updated changes. At the final stages of the map its so easy to accidentally break something by a wrong click of a keyboard or mouse movement.

Before you post it though i'd appreciate it if you played it one last time. It may change your opinion slightly. I realized there was a dull spot in the map so I spruced it up a bit to allow Duke to use up some of that ammo. =) (The area with the added action is based around the lower light house area) I found it to be too quiet. This should change the dynamics slightly and hopefully that area isn't as boring. If I spend anymore time on the map the wife is going to kill me.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

User is offline   Forge 

I replayed it. The change wasn't that significant to alter the firepower to alien balance. You'd basically have to put in a huge swarm to guard the blue key and that'd make the game-play worse imo. Standing back blasting a bunch of aliens as they try to cram through a doorway to get to you isn't that exciting.

The other option would be to reduce the weaponry and ammo supply. That could end up making the map too hard because of the open nature of the layout. The player could get in a situation where they have nothing to fight with depending on the direction they take. Any attempt to tighten the balance could throw the level off in the other extreme where the player is constantly having to run away from fights.

I think in the case of this map it's better to have too much than not enough.

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 29 May 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

I replayed it. The change wasn't that significant to alter the firepower to alien balance. You'd basically have to put in a huge swarm to guard the blue key and that'd make the game-play worse imo. Standing back blasting a bunch of aliens as they try to cram through a doorway to get to you isn't that exciting.

The other option would be to reduce the weaponry and ammo supply. That could end up making the map too hard because of the open nature of the layout. The player could get in a situation where they have nothing to fight with depending on the direction they take. Any attempt to tighten the balance could throw the level off in the other extreme where the player is constantly having to run away from fights.

I think in the case of this map it's better to have too much than not enough.

Couldn't agree with you more. My only rebuttal towards too much ammo on the map would be to turn off your AUTO AIM! LOL

This post has been edited by Paul B: 29 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPaul B, on 29 May 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Couldn't agree with you more. My only rebuttal towards too much ammo on the map would be to turn off your AUTO AIM! LOL

I don't use auto aim.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostPaul B, on 29 May 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

View PostForge, on 29 May 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

I don't use auto aim.

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT :)

User is offline   Paul B 

Life would be pretty un interesting if we all thought the same.

Anyway, for those who played it, thanks for the feedback. :)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 01 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPaul B, on 30 May 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

I think forge downvoted me

???

Actually I can see why some may not enjoy this style of map for its heavy use of sos and poor frame rate in Eduke.

I had no framerate issues

Also hunting for 9 key cards is a chore at times.

There are worse game play maps than that. Just ask anyone who's played an early Billyboy level

What im happy about is previously in my maps I never really had a clear objective. I always found difficulty thinking of purpose.

disagree. example: Brooklyn Bridge

What disappoints me the most is I created this map because I wanted people to appreciate the work I put into this map in re creating an existing map from a more modern game engine. This was no easy feat. What freaking sucks is no one here actually knows what the original map is like.

So you're saying that I can't enjoy and appreciate this map properly without having played the version you modeled it after? That seems a bit of an unfair expectation.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 30 May 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

???

I had no framerate issues

There are worse game play maps than that. Just ask anyone who's played an early Billyboy level

disagree. example: Brooklyn Bridge

So you're saying that I can't enjoy and appreciate this map properly without having played the version you modeled it after? That seems a bit of an unfair expectation.

Forge, I'm just bugging you. IMO the game play is better in Rock then in Brooklyn Bridge. I never liked the way i wrapped that map up. It was an awkward finish. In the Rock map the frame rate drops over by David's sprite flat bed trailer. As well the lower light house. I tried to limit the amount of sectors in those areas because of the fps dips. But I'm glad it worked well for you. Initially, I was suppose to have the area around the lower lighthouse open with a sprite fence around the perimeter. It was going to be open with the view of the coast line. But lowering the paralax ceiling to the floor introduced major fps problems in such a big area. Also with the HRP i found that the first sector when you surface from the water it lags bad for some reason but then it corrects itself.

I guess i'm just surprised that more people on here didn't play Counter-Strike. I thought the entire world played that game when it was popular.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

Okay I was a bit confused as to why people thought the map was "gloomy or very gloomy". As it turns out I always make the map without HRP. Then I go through the map once it's built and align textures and set the shading using HRP. However, there is a big difference between HRP and standard Polymer in terms of shading. So if your FPS are okay playing this map I would recommend using the HRP that should lighten things up so its not so dark. So many damn variables, anyway I just updated the TXT, map, & cfg file to reflect these changes in my zip in case people were wondering why the download counter keeps resetting. If its not one thing, its another.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 15 February 2017 - 07:12 AM

User is offline   Forge 

your OCD is starting to show.

move on before you trap yourself ala parkade style

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Was fun thanks

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Yeah, another map by Paul B. :) Unfortunately I have pretty much run out of steam (no pun) concerning Duke these days. So playing and commenting will have to wait until my appetite is back.
Posted Image

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostLeoD, on 05 June 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Yeah, another map by Paul B. :( Unfortunately I have pretty much run out of steam (no pun) concerning Duke these days. So playing and commenting will have to wait until my appetite is back.

Leo, you're tackling this all wrong. This map should be nothing but giving you an appetite for Duke. This map is all about R & R. Anyway, when you re-charge, i'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this one. Take care!

View Postblizzart, on 27 May 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

Funny thing, I watched the Rock two weeks ago on television and was wondering why nobody ever made a map from that movie. :)

Well, to my surprise, I was just on the Megaton Steam Workshop and came across another The Rock map done by someone else ages ago. It has good comments, i'll have to check this one out and here I thought I was doing something novel =P Here is the link to their rendition of the Alcatraz prison.
http://steamcommunit...398&searchtext=

One day I hope to get a tour of the actual island, that would be pretty cool.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

User is offline   David B. 

I've finally played the map. It tooks me 44 min... I was lost.

Very nice ambiance, probably one of the best amongst your maps :)

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDavid B., on 12 June 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

I've finally played the map. It tooks me 44 min... I was lost.

Very nice ambiance, probably one of the best amongst your maps :)

Thanks David, sorry to hear that you got lost. I know the layout of the map can be confusing because its so interconnected and overlapping in some areas. Thankfully, there are amazingly stunning landmarks to help you get your bearings as well as strategic placements of surveillance view screens. If I could have awarded myself a positive reputation point for this map I would have.

As a result of such an outpouring of positive feedback this only suggests to me one thing . To turn this level into the start of a mini episode and continue with the theme to a new Roch series. I mean Rock series. If my wife doesn't kill me i'll try to sneak time into a few more levels as a continuation to the story built upon the success and basis of this map. But this is just between you and me David don't tell anyone!!! I would like to surprise the community with more Rock goodness in the years to come.

Some idea's I've been toying with in my mind are:

1) A map showing more of the prison where the tiered jail cells are located in relation to everything else.
2) A mine shaft level based on the movie,.
3) Rooftops level overlooking some of the previous areas of the map or the prison perimeter.
4) The escape plan, ending with Duke at the Shores / boat dock to the island. (With or without an end Boss.

If you were able to make it through this far, I just have to say I can't really say how serious any of that just was. Except for the wife killing me part.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what threw you off? Were you running in circles because you didn't find the door into the lower lighthouse area?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 12 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

User is offline   David B. 

I just don't have sense of direction... When I found the blue card at the end, I wasn't able to remember the way back to the infirmary/alien post control to finish the map :(

I know you're laughing now... :)

This post has been edited by David B.: 13 June 2015 - 12:07 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

That was a really good map with great architecture, layout and sense of freedom.
The layout was unlike what we see in DN3D due to all the wide open verticality, but it was still DN3D due to how we'd go around through sewers, vents, windows and backdoors only to exit places by unlocking the front door and thus opening up the map little by little. So, good job for that.
When I think about the stories of 3DR trying out TROR with Build after DN3D came out and before they switched to the Quake engine, I feel like this map is sort of what DNF could have been like had it ever come out in Build.

Gameplay was good but it was nothing new or surprising, and I feel like it could have used the verticality more, which would have made it somewhat more unique. Also, there could have been more enemies I guess, especially the final or the moment when the blue card drops on the helipad which felt underwhelming...

There was some good detailing and use of sprites and textures here and there too.
Loved the forklift btw. Someone needs to make a driveable one.

My only grip is that framerate would come and go depending on where I was. It was nothing major though, it was always playable. At worst it may have gone down to around 30 for a couple of seconds. Nothing unplayable like some of your previous maps (though I haven't tried them on this new computer).

This post has been edited by MetHy: 14 June 2015 - 05:07 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMetHy, on 14 June 2015 - 05:05 AM, said:

Also, there could have been more enemies I guess, especially the final or the moment when the blue card drops on the helipad which felt underwhelming...

My only grip is that framerate would come and go depending on where I was. It was nothing major though, it was always playable. At worst it may have gone down to around 30 for a couple of seconds. Nothing unplayable like some of your previous maps (though I haven't tried them on this new computer).

Hi Methy,

Thanks for taking the time to play and provide feedback. I have been playing the Death Drive episode lately and it made me realize either my map wasn't populated enough with enemies or I provided too much ammo. I was trying not to saturate the map with too many respawns as it makes it difficult to implement difficulty settings.

In recent versions of Eduke it feels like CPU optimizations have been made maybe as a result of the upcoming Android release on less powerful platforms which may boost the FPS. I found as long as the draw distance is reasonable the frame rate can be tweaked based on the amount of physical sectors\vertices\sprites Duke can see at any given time.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 14 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

well this one i can get down with. i liked it

checklist

clean cut? yes
shading? yes
interesting map design with maze features to go around map non linear ? yes
a bit dark? yes

Good map buddy

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options