Duke4.net Forums: What Will Happen To DNF? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Will Happen To DNF?

Poll: DNF's fate (52 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think is most likely to happen to DNF

1. George will get a loan and re-start 3D Realms, after which he will complete the game (3 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

2. George will have another developer finish the game while retaining the rights to it (17 votes [32.69%])

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

3. The IP will be sold to another company, and they will complete the game (10 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

4. Nothing will be done and the current version of the game will go to waste (22 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

View PostRamen4ever, on May 9 2009, 06:16 PM, said:

What will happen to DNF is simple. Unless George and Scott have some good plans for the future, a bigger company will eventually gobble up the DN IP.
Posted Image

A bigger company may make an offer, but George and Scott may not be required to sell.

George and Scott may shop the IP around to find a buyer, but they may not get bids in line with what they're asking for.

Making matters more complicated, we have DNF to the degree it's completed (which could be encumbered by agreements with Epic for the engine, and others for physics or what-not), the right to publish DNF (we know this is 2K/Take Two, but does this specifically mean a game named "DNF", the fourth game in the Duke Nukem quadrilogy, the second Duke Nukem FPS, etc), and the wider Duke Nukem intellectual property.

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

Where is the option "the game will leak"? ;) I voted for the fourth.

If nobody saw this coming, nobody would've had a chance to compile a build, burn it on a DVD, shove it down their pants or what-not, and then leak it somewhere after enough time had passed to make it harder to figure out who might have done it.

Besides, I thought there were keys, codes, dongles, and other restrictions, so that if a beta did leak, it wouldn't be very useful to anyone that bothered to download a copy.

User is offline   Tedades 

I think the game status will go to epic when not anyone ever sees this game.
Like the lognes monster ;)

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

View PostAgentScotty, on May 9 2009, 04:17 PM, said:

If nobody saw this coming, nobody would've had a chance to compile a build, burn it on a DVD, shove it down their pants or what-not, and then leak it somewhere after enough time had passed to make it harder to figure out who might have done it.

Well, I believe that their last day was May 8th, and they were told about this on May 6th, so that would give them two days to copy it to their flash drives. I just hope that if that is the case they do the right thing and upload it so we can enjoy 3D Realms' work. ;)

View PostAgentScotty, on May 9 2009, 04:17 PM, said:

Besides, I thought there were keys, codes, dongles, and other restrictions, so that if a beta did leak, it wouldn't be very useful to anyone that bothered to download a copy.

I'm sure someone would hack it eventually. They always do. ;)

Actually, this leak thing is starting to sound pretty good. It wouldn't be as satisfying as an official release, but then again that's pretty much not going to happen is it.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

View Postultra tree 85!, on May 10 2009, 02:59 AM, said:

Well, I believe that their last day was May 8th, and they were told about this on May 6th, so that would give them two days to copy it to their flash drives. I just hope that if that is the case they do the right thing and upload it so we can enjoy 3D Realms' work. ;)

I know you must be joking, but they are bound by NDA - and 3D Realms still exists, so they can't do just what ever they want(in regards of DNF).

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

View Postpeoplessi, on May 9 2009, 06:13 PM, said:

I know you must be joking, but they are bound by NDA - and 3D Realms still exists, so they can't do just what ever they want(in regards of DNF).

But how would anyone know who did it? It's impossible to punish someone if you don't know who they are. ;) If I could get into their offices I'd steal the game in a second, and at this point it wouldn't bother my conscience at all. ;)

This post has been edited by ultra tree 85!: 09 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

View Postultra tree 85!, on May 9 2009, 07:31 PM, said:

But how would anyone know who did it? It's impossible to punish someone if you don't know who they are. ;) If I could get into their offices I'd steal the game in a second, and at this point it wouldn't bother my conscience at all. ;)

If anyone considers leaking DNF except George, they are insane. I don't see it happening.

User is offline   Malgon 

I didn't vote because I honestly don't know what will happen with DNF. If it was a vote for what I'd like to see happen with DNF then it'd be the first option of course. ;)

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

View PostAgentScotty, on May 10 2009, 01:17 AM, said:

We aren't sure yet if nobody saw this coming. Also, I doubt they just pulled out the plug of all computers. They still had access to them, for example to back-up their own personal files. Also, I doubt no employee ever took the game home with him, to play with at home, test some stuff, continue working or whatever.

View PostAgentScotty, on May 10 2009, 01:17 AM, said:

Well, the leaker, assuming he worked at 3DR, could unlock it of course ;)

My understanding was that such protections were hard-coded, and that authorized beta testers had to get new codes and so-forth on a weekly/monthly basis to keep using a particular build.

That's part of why I assumed a recompile (which takes time, and could set off red flags) would be necessary.

Unlike some of the conspiracy theorists, I don't think there was a fully functional late beta or release candidate of DNF just lying around where anyone could throw it on a DVD or memory stick.

View PostAgentScotty, on May 10 2009, 12:17 AM, said:

dongles...

Ha! Did you have an Amiga too?

I've been thinking while reading all these posts/threads (surprisingly) and I have a new slant on what I think George was meaning on some of his vague twitter posts.

No - This could be referring to T2 offering to buy the IP for 30m.

If we crash expect a slight delay on the game - This was about going to T2 to show the game. Crash could mean if T2 refuse the $5m to finish the game.

There are more speculative thoughts I have I just can't remember them atm. I'll edit this when I remember.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 11 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Think about the twat on LOTR fan movie. It actually meant fans would continue the work on DNF and release it as a small 3 hour game.

User is offline   Montykoro 

View PostWieder, on May 9 2009, 10:58 PM, said:

If anyone considers leaking DNF except George, they are insane. I don't see it happening.

Well some guy leaked the plot...

Charly is the same plot of your "build"?

Heh, I still remember playing the DooM3 alpha leak. ;) Didn't stop the DooM3 release.

User is offline   razgriz 

Even after reading the design documents, ogling over the screen shots, and playing out the scenarios in my mind, I don't care.

I want to play this game.

User is offline   Yenji 

I think that George will try to get another developer to finish it... but if that doesn't work I think that it will be forgotten and many years down the road Duke will be revived as a new game. It's happened with others after all

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options