Duke4.net Forums: Are there any Build engine map-drawing tools? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are there any Build engine map-drawing tools?  "something like Omgifol, but for Duke Nukem 3D"

User is offline   ixfd64 

I'm thinking about adding maps of Duke Nukem 3D levels to the Duke Nukem wiki. Are there any programs that will take in a map and export it as an image?

The Omgifol tool does this for Doom WADs and creates nice-looking maps like this one. Does an equivalent for the Build engine exist? I could always take screenshots in automap mode, but that's pretty much a hassle for the more complex levels.

This post has been edited by ixfd64: 18 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postixfd64, on 18 May 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

I'm thinking about adding maps of Duke Nukem 3D levels to the Duke Nukem wiki. Are there any programs that will take in a map and export it as an image?

The Omgifol tool does this for Doom WADs and creates nice-looking maps like this one. Does an equivalent for the Build engine exist? I could always take screenshots in automap mode, but that's pretty much a hassle for the more complex levels.

I wouldn't waste your time, with maps that use (SOS) Sector over sector or (TROR) True Room Over Room it would be messy. Doom was a simple engine with the maps all on the same plane. Even the default maps with the game have SOS and it would be messy trying to decipher what floor they are on.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

User is offline   ixfd64 

I see. So does that mean I would be better off manually drawing the maps, like it was done here?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Paul's just being a bit pessimistic.

Perhaps this might be useful? http://forums.duke4....ic/7644-svgmap/

User is offline   ixfd64 

View PostMicky C, on 19 May 2015 - 01:15 AM, said:

Paul's just being a bit pessimistic.

Perhaps this might be useful? http://forums.duke4....ic/7644-svgmap/

Thanks, that seems pretty useful. Do you know if it allows the customization of colors? I think dark lines on a white background would be more suitable on a wiki page.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postixfd64, on 19 May 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Do you know if it allows the customization of colors?

It outputs SVGs. You can find and replace colors in a text editor.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Blah
Blah #2

Replace exe or put in the same dir.
When asking for extra params, select "black on white", I recommend using with autosize.

If you want different colorz then specify the values and I'll get it sorted out :)

Nice stuff oasiz, however the app keeps saving empty html files for me for a reason.

I remember doing a simple map drawing utility (called "Printable Scheme Generator" and integrated into LEBuild), which charts the map into a BMP file, optionally with the grid, sprites and vertices. It's not very accurate though (no anti-aliasing), but can handle high-resolution output well. Note that this one is restricted to raster images.

A sample rendering of E4L10 (The Queen) resaved into GIF:

Attached Image: e4l10.gif

Edit: ah, I've got it, one should type map name without the extension in svgmap. Seems to work now.

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 21 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options