• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Black Mesa Steam Release

User is offline   Psycho87 

Why has nobody posted this yet?

http://store.steampo....com/app/362890

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

A touch overpriced for something you can play for free.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostPsycho87, on 07 May 2015 - 04:51 AM, said:

Why has nobody posted this yet?http://store.steampowered.com/app/362890

Because the hype is gone and Xen still isn't finished and people no longer and to pay for a mod anymore.

View PostMicky C, on 07 May 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

The mod version isn't going to be updated anymore.

• Honored Donor

Did they ever fix that glitchy missile launcher interface thing?

View PostMicky C, on 07 May 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

Multiplayer is only available in the paid version, which was always more important to me than singleplayer.

This post has been edited by Psycho87: 07 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 07 May 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

Did they ever fix that glitchy missile launcher interface thing?

The only memorable thing about Black Mesa I can remember is the awful soldier AI. I hear it is fixed in the Steam version though.

View PostLunick, on 07 May 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

Because the hype is gone and Xen still isn't finished and people no longer and to pay for a mod anymore.

Looks like it's selling quite well, actually.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostPsycho87, on 07 May 2015 - 05:32 AM, said:

You can only play multiplayer in the paid version, which was always more important to me than singleplayer.

???
There's nothing special about Half-Life's single player... it was a copy/past of Quake deatmatch with HL weapons, and today there's hundreds of games like that.
The only reason I could be slightly interested in it is if they at least finished Xen, remade the enemy AI to be less "cheap aimbot" and put back all other cut levels.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Will not throw money at it until Xen; and that's pretty much all I have to say about that. By now I expect the finished product if they want me to pay.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's a good way to support the devs. I'm not against paid mods.

Does anyone know if Surface Tension is uncut in this version?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 May 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

Does anyone know if Surface Tension is uncut in this version?

It isn't, the author of the map and developer of Black Mesa stated it will be released on the workshop in the near future.
And btw, the free version will receive an update.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostComrade Major, on 07 May 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Will not throw money at it until Xen; and that's pretty much all I have to say about that. By now I expect the finished product if they want me to pay.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why aren't they done yet? All they needed was Xen and bug fixes.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostPerson of Color, on 07 May 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why aren't they done yet? All they needed was Xen and bug fixes.

Let me try it with one very simple thought ... they didn'r recieve any money yet and have regular jobs? And there was much more than just some bug fixing.

I LOVE Black Mesa...but the single player is what is important to me.

View PostPsycho87, on 07 May 2015 - 05:32 AM, said:

You can only play multiplayer in the paid version, which was always more important to me than singleplayer.

What? That is completely wrong. The Steam version has multiplayer in addition to the singleplayer.
All the weapons have been re-animated, and a lot of the textures have been improved too. There's also some new voice acting and extra scenes that I've noticed so far. The game has also been ported to the 2013 version of Source.

I bought the Steam version as soon as the countdown ended, because after all the effort they've put into it, they deserve the money.
Kinda bothers me with how there are so many people complaining about the fact that the Steam version costs money when they stated in the past that this would be the case.
They also stated that Xen would not be in the initial release on Steam.

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 07 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 07 May 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

What? That is completely wrong. The Steam version has multiplayer in addition to the singleplayer.

That is what I meant to say. Edited my post to make it more clear.

Well even then, it's still kinda incorrect, the mod version still has multiplayer, but it's incomplete and unsupported, so I guess it doesn't count :D

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 May 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

Neither am I. I'd like to buy it too to support the devs a bit, but $20 for something I've already played for free is a bit much IMO. I wouldn't have paid more than $10. Sounds like it's going to get more expensive when Xen is added which won't help. I'll wait for a special.

Will Xen ever be added is the real question. :D

User is offline   Loke 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 08 May 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

Will Xen ever be added is the real question. :D

Eventually.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostLoke, on 08 May 2015 - 06:05 AM, said:

Eventually.

When it's... Oh fuck it.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 08 May 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

When it's... Oh fuck it.

We all know it always happens like that. XD
(Considering it's a god-damn huge project taken 10+ years to release without any money supports to devs, that's fair I'm sure, but I heard the devs were refuse any donations or something, until they decided to release a paid Steam version.)

I don't want buy it right now even I know it already updated a lot for the Source 2013 engine, MP & Workshop supports and some extra shit, but well...it just not the right time to get it for me! :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I paid for it even though its not complete yet and I finished the free version.
It wasn't some cash grab like that whole Skyrim thing, they worked on it for a very long time so its awesome people can buy it if they want. 20 bucks was a bit steep, but it'll still end up in Steam sales anyways.
Started working on a little custom map so I have something easier to do inbetween working on my game.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't think $20 is very much to ask considering all the work they've done and still are doing. As far as I'm concerned $10 for the first section of the game plus multiplayer and $10 to fund upcoming Xen, patches, more content, bug-fixing, etc is absolutely worth it. I'd consider it perfectly valid if it was twice that much and created by Valve and you would too. Just because it's a remake doesn't discount the fact that they deserve every penny.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

What they did so far was a huge undertaking, so I'm not to bothered by the price.

Xen is taking so long because they're actually working with Valve's writers now, to make Xen all it can be. They're making sure it's lore-accurate so to speak, making the ecosystem seem believable. (What animals eat what, why the gravity is low, various Xen plant life and their purpose, etc.)

Apparently Xen is going to be almost entirely different from the original too, considering Xen in the original was the weakest point of the game.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 09 May 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

Xen is taking so long because they're actually working with Valve's writers now, to make Xen all it can be. They're making sure it's lore-accurate so to speak, making the ecosystem seem believable. (What animals eat what, why the gravity is low, various Xen plant life and their purpose, etc.)

Wait what? Do you have a source for that?

This post has been edited by LkMax: 10 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I can't recall the original thread, but it has been discussed and mentioned quite regularly over the last year or so, both on the BMS forums and IRC. Been mentioned a few times on the Black Mesa Community Hub on Steam as well.

They also talked about it during this livestream: http://www.twitch.tv...ame/b/656436441

This post has been edited by Psycho87: 11 May 2015 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Looks like Xen is only coming to the newly-released paid version.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Of course that makes sense considering that they're no longer updating the free version, although this was not their initial intent when developing the mod. Something of this magnitude inevitably requires money, though.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 11 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options