Duke4.net Forums: Release unfinished X-Block Project - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Release unfinished X-Block Project

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

X-Block project is an attempt to create a Minecraft-like with a modified version of Eduke32.
I don't think I'll continue to work on this project. you are free to do whatever you want.
I hope this can be usefull :D
Only polymer render, is Standalone and works without GRP.
this project is totaly Bugged and Unfinished. Ask me if you want the source files.

Download

Keys
------------------------------
WASDF move.
Space jump/fly
Left Ctrl crouch
Left-right mouse delete/add block
Middle mouse select/deselect block
Q Quick tool menu
Left Shift Alternative tool stuffs (you can change blocks view distance on fog button for example)
E Inventory
Tab copy block to de clipboard

Changes mades in Eduke32 :

- Deleted ALL hard coded actors and duke nukem related things...

- Deleted polymost end classic render code

- Enabled file compression / decompression for writearraytofile / readarrayfromfile command
This allows to work with smaller files and read/write much faster in game.

- Better support for skybox on polymer

- 90° horiz view

- added new spriteext member, actor[].xscale and actor[].yscale, this scaling on game model's texture

- deleted lots of inused commands...

- Tons of other stuff I don't remember to improve fps rate etc.... I made a mess. :D

Features of X-Block

- (16 * 4'194'304) possible blocks in game 128*128*256 block per chunk ! (this can be unlimited because is possible to write and read map array data from external file and overwriting/saving actual array in memory... but is not done.. )

- world occlusion culling

- dynamic world generation

- add/remove/copy/past and move blocs (some other function are broken, or unfinished :/)

- save, load map using external array file (not build map format)

- coded face shading

- complete day/night cycle

- moon cycle and real starfield cycle

- dynamic clouds with fog and wind control

- real on game time control

- other stuff I don't remember... ?

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Gonna try this when I get internet back at home , good job man. sad that you're not working on it anymore.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Very cool, I just checked out the video on your Youtube channel. Impressive, I'm gonna have to get it a download later too. :D

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Probably the most unique thing ever programmed for EDuke 32. Really shows the capabilities of the engine.

Really impressed by the way you programmed the blocks.

User is offline   zykov eddy 

I officially declare this project a masterpiece of EDuke 32 programming.

I don't see how this can be a masterpiece, but the thing is certainly worth looking at. As far as I can see, your script automatically creates new 'block' actors on air-solid boundaries so there are only visible surfaces actually present in the map. Unfortunately, the quality of the code is inferior, suffering from a lot of repetition and incomprehensible layout, and the way it stores the blocks is a simple regular grid of voxels, leading to high RAM usage and leaving impossible making really large worlds like in Minecraft. I wasn't expecting sparse voxel octree techniques and such, but a slab-based approach (like in Ken's Voxlap engine) might suit this better.

I like that there's a day/night cycle and some weather options, but faced problems with collision detection, likely due to Build's limitations.

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostCraigFatman, on 07 May 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

it stores the blocks is a simple regular grid of voxels, leading to high RAM usage and leaving impossible making really large worlds like in Minecraft.

Hey you wrong, you can store blocks on files on your hard disk... you just need to remplace the actual in RAM array of a next chunck by the previously saved one.... so you can had unlimited size world... since the world can be stored and loaded on your hard disk. And with this approach, not based on voxel, you can made all kind of shapes like slopes, cylinder, and more if you use models. But yes, it's still terribly inefficient, eduke is not intended for this stuff.

This post has been edited by Muelsa: 07 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

User is offline   blizzart 

Hi guys, sorry for bumping this old thread up.

Unfortunetly I lost my copy of this mod.

Does anyone still has the download file and could offer it for download?

Thanks in advance.

User is offline   blizzart 

Nevermind, I finally found it on one of my backup HDDs.

If anyone is interested, you can download the mod here:

http://data.53tech.de/zip/x-block.zip

Please note, that this project is polymer only.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options