Duke4.net Forums: Nintendo corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo corner  "All talk a/b Nintendo. Share your love and hatred a/b Nintendo."

Here's the good things a/b Nintendo.

+The Nintendo 64 due to great things like Rare LTD games, Doom 64, Quake 1 & 2, Duke Nukem 64, Hexen, Turok games on that console. Also the Nintendo 64 is a great piece of hardware ever!
+The Virtual Console so you don't have to pay out of your ass for rare and high prices of physical games. Also the VC restore points feature introduced in the 3DS and Wii U so you can correct the mistakes made w/ a few steps.
+ Rare LTD in it's Nintendo heyday.
+ Nintendo makes damn sure that each console is backwards compatible starting from the GBA and the Wii from now on.
+ Hiroshi Yamauchi was the greatest leader in Nintendo ever. I still miss him. RIP.
+ The Zelda franchise is the best Nintendo IP ever. However it's got a negative side discussed below.
+ Nintendo just recently announced the N64 VC. I would like to see Doom 64, Duke Nukem 64 and Duke Nukem Zero on there.
+ Nintendo announcing they're handing their IP's to a developer to bringing games to smart phones.

Here's the SHITTY things that I hate a/b Nintendo.

- The 3DS when first launched had it's own problems (especially w/ the battery life) is now better w/ the New Nintendo 3DS XL.
- Not having GBA VC games on the 3DS. The ambassador program bought the GBA games to early 3DS adopters.
- GBA and DS games on the Wii U. Like I said above. Why the fuck does the New 3DS not have them? Isn't the New 3DS supposed to have the power to emulate these GBA, SNES and DS ports?
- VERY slow to roll out new VC games. Like 1 or 2 VC games every Thursday. Maybe someone needs to make sure that they are working correctly.
- They are very anti-emulator.
- They issue legal take downs on fan-made HD remakes like this one: http://www.polygon.c...takedown-notice
- They won't take Sega's route on going software only and abandon the hardware business.
- Satoru Iwata and Reggie Fil-Amie. Hiroshi Yamauchi made a piss poor decision on picking Satoru to lead Nintendo IMO. Nintendo needs new management.
- People were deceived a/b the Wii U specs a/b it's CPU having a 3.0 GHz Tri-Core CPU early in it's development. In the end the CPU is tri-core 1.2 GHz which it's shitty.
- Amiibo shortages. I smell a marketing stunt Nintendo is making.
- Treated 3rd party developers like shit.
- The Wii is the "Shovelware" Console.
- Not enough physical copies of the Zelda games in the IP's lifetime are produced. Seems like Nintendo is controlling on how many copies can be produced. Look's like they don't want Link to be a sellout or something.
- And last but not least. They are "anti-Youtube" and "Fucking Greedy" w/ their Creators Program. I agree w/ Angry Joe on this one. It's gonna be his last Nintendo game he's gonna stream.

Nintendo is going down the tubes. Unless they make a powerful comeback w/ their next console in development: The NX or better yet; leave the hardware business and go software only.

Think of this thread like an ongoing sequel to: Super Mario 64 HD Fan Remake - Nintendo files patent for Game Boy emulation or any Nintendo related threads on this one
merged into this one.

If there's anything I can think of adding something to those lists.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 03 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

Oh shit! Could any mod out there who can replace the word from "Forum" to "Topic" on the topic title plz? Thanks! I typed that word in by accident.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 06 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Every single morning I wake up, listen to Enigma, drink a stranger's tobacco spit, and read about Nintendo just to make sure I have enough hatred to make it through the day.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 06 April 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

- GBA and DS games on the Wii U. Like I said above. Why the fuck does the New 3DS not have them? Isn't the New 3DS supposed to have the power to emulate these GBA, SNES and DS ports?

Nope.

User is online   Lunick 

UH OH, I smell a lot of opinions in the first post!

- Not having GBA VC games on the 3DS. The ambassador program bought the GBA games to early 3DS adopters.

Why emulate them when you can run them natively (Except for a SNES of course, don't go sticking a SNES cart into your 3DS please). The Ambassador 3DS games either not run at full speed at times or look really blurry for some reason when the games are in motion so I can understand not releasing them on the 3DS and letting a awesome developer like M2 handle making the emulator for WIi U.

SNES games have been proven to run almost flawlessly on the New 3DS (and to an extent the original 3DS) via Homebrew so I'd wish they would introduce cross buy with their Virtual Console.

VERY slow to roll out new VC games. Like 1 or 2 VC games every Thursday. Maybe someone needs to make sure that they are working correctly.

There's not a lot of stuff missing at the moment (except for the new N64 and DS additions) and it mainly comes down to stuff that has either been released in Japan, Europe or US only compared to other regions. It also seems that some publishers like Square Enix don't want to release their Virtual Console games outside Japan for some stupid reason.

They issue legal take downs on fan-made HD remakes like this one <video>

There are two HD fan-remakes going around at the moment and the one you pointed out was actually using assets from their games compared to the other one that people are more hyped about. Nintendo shouldn't have really taken this one down though because the developer stated they were not going to continue it anyway.

They won't take Sega's route on going software only and abandon the hardware business.

Posted Image

Amiibo shortages. I smell a marketing stunt Nintendo is making.

I think at first, everyone including Nintendo were expecting Amiibo to flop but then it suddenly blew way out of proportions. The recent Super Mario Bros series of Amiibo seem to "fix" the problem as I see these in-stock everywhere with at least 10 of the various six Amiibo. I guess that series will be expanded upon in the future and other sets will be limited which I guess makes sense since the Amiibo are actually produced many months ahead of release (and nobody wants millions of Luigi Amiibos like the 10 saw sitting on a Target shelf).

I absolutely need these though:
Posted Image

Treated 3rd party developers like shit.

When you have a company like Ubisoft treating gamers like shit on the Wii U with their shitty and late ports (I love you Rayman however) then I can kind of understand why something like 3rd party developers ditching the Wii U.

The Wii is the "Shovelware" Console.

Steam has shovelware games on it too (thanks to Greenlight and other publishers), does that make it bad too? Xbox Live Indie Games has a lot of shovelware games on it and does that make it a bad platform?

Not enough physical copies of the Zelda games in the IP's lifetime are produced.

I can sort of understand this one but I honestly think it differs from region to region (I'm surprised you didn't bring Region Locking up, that is a genuine problem with Nintendo) and after Majora's Mask release here, I have seen heaps of Ocarina of Time 3DS.

And last but not least. They are "anti-Youtube" and "Fucking Greedy" w/ their Creators Program.

YouTubers are "Fucking Greedy" and if you think they need someone like Angry Joe then I guess you haven't see how well Amiibos have been doing lately and Nintendo gaining profit over the last year or so :D

Yeah alot of youtubers are greedy some of them are not though, I do believe some people here are greedy as well no efence

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 06 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

The N64 had a lot of shovelware, but the absolute best games in it beat anything the competition could offer. The PSX couldn't even dream of having something like Perfect Dark, for example.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 06 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 06 April 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

The N64 had a lot of shovelware, but the absolute best games in it beat anything the competition could offer. The PSX couldn't even dream of having something like Perfect Dark, for example.

This. I was glued to Nintendo Power every month during those halcyon days of the N64.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 06 April 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

Hepa-Titus C Software: creators of Superman 69... I mean 64 anyone?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 07 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

AngryJoe shouldn't be the spoke person for any movement ever. I didn't see any of his Nintendo videos, because I haven't watched him in years because his schtick is a bit obnoxious IMO, but when your thing is that you are angry and have to point out flaws and spin something in a negative light and then get paid for it, no wonder Nintendo didn't want to do business with him.
I'm not going to say companies asking for a cut of the profits off youtubers is a good or bad thing, I understand both sides of the argument. Should people be able to point out flaws another company made? Sure. Should they get paid for it? Well, I dunno, because it wouldn't be fair to only get paid for good reviews because that makes bias. If a company doesn't want people making monetized videos off their product, the youtubers in general should find another means of making monetized videos. You should have more variety or be prepared for such a predicament. On the flip side, companies snipping a person's means of income is a bit crappy as well.
When youtubers do videos on some unknown indie games, those games get a following and some form of success. Companies like Microsoft or Nintendo don't need youtube videos to make or break their game's sales, because AAA games will be talked about on any gaming forum regardless. Do youtube videos help? Of course! Do these AAA companies depend on youtube videos? Of course not! Do these youtube stars depend on other people's games to base content off of? They probably shouldn't, more than likely the people viewing them is viewing them for the Youtuber, not the games, so they should look at more means of content instead of just playing videogames with commentary slapped on.

I appreciate the hell out of certain Youtubers that make good playthroughs of games but also provide enough quality commentary you wouldn't find elsewhere. These guys will play any game, any game at all, and still make quality content. Others will depend on a game being bad and them pointing out their flaws to get hits. I don't enjoy those so much.

Also, pet peeve of mine, I hate when youtube channels spam SUBSCRIBE AND THUMBS UP. Immediate pause and close on video window.
As for thoughts on Nintendo in general.... N64 is pretty awesome and they typically make really good first party games, better than Sony and Microsoft

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 06 April 2015 - 09:22 PM

anybody complaining about Wii shovelware levels has not seen the absolute horseshit that the PS2 had. it was a fucking russian roullete as to whether that game with the cool cover was gonna be trash or just okay.
The Playstation was just as bad too!

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 07 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

I can sort of understand this one but I honestly think it differs from region to region (I'm surprised you didn't bring Region Locking up, that is a genuine problem with Nintendo) and after Majora's Mask release here, I have seen heaps of Ocarina of Time 3DS.

Prices for the physical copies of OoT shot up for $60 used like I said in the other thread. At least OoT is now available digitally on the 3DS eshop for $40 US dollars.

Yes I forgot all a/b the region locking. It's very lame indeed.

Bottom line I don't hate Nintendo. I grew up on Nintendo when I was a kid and early teens. It's just I hate the way things are now. They need to learn to adapt and get along w/ the times.

View PostCarl Winslow, on 07 April 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

anybody complaining about Wii shovelware levels has not seen the absolute horseshit that the PS2 had. it was a fucking russian roullete as to whether that game with the cool cover was gonna be trash or just okay.

PSOne classics on the PSN Store has some shovelware like XS Dodgeball, XS Football, XS Soccer, Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol, and so on. There are alot of factors of why the majority of PS1 games are not on the PSOne classic like legal issues and stuff. The Mega Man Legends serve as an example.

User is online   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

...better yet; leave the hardware business and go software only.

As a company Nintendo is extremely profitable and they historically make a large portion of their profits from hardware sales, not software. They also spend fairly conservatively and keep a lot of cash-on-hand (actually the last couple of years where they did NOT produce a profit were because they were investing in expansion of their company, including a new development building/headquarters).

Additionally they are quite smart with spending (including marketing spending), and don't have to pay licensing fees. This allows them to produce games which only sell a few hundred thousand copies and still see a return (similarly to how most game companies used to operate). This is why you see a lot of oddball or one off games from them (particularly on the eShop).

Historically prices for Nintendo games go up not because of a lack of copies during initial production, but rather because people tend not to resell the games which means there's a constrained used market.

Also OoT isn't available for $40 on the eShop... the remake with improved graphics, mechanics, fixes, additions, and 3D support is on the eShop. I have both it and my gold N64 cart and they are definitely different, but in a good way.

Except the fucking Fire Temple music. GRRR!

As far as their Youtube policies... fuck those guys anyway. People may not like it but let's get real: You're making money by rebroadcasting someone else's work with your commentary over it. I'm not sure that's even covered under "fair use". There's a reason RiffTrax isn't distributed with the actual film.

View PostCarl Winslow, on 07 April 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

These two systems were the pinnacle of shovelware. The moment the PS2 devkits matured and you didn't need a 160 I.Q. AND Aspergers to program the damn thing, the market got flooded overnight.

Considering how easy the DC, GC, and Xbox were I'm pretty surprised they didn't get hit as bad. DC barely got hit at all.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

In speaking of Nintendo,
Vote for Duke Nukem to be a character in SSB.

View PostPerson of Color, on 10 April 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

These two systems were the pinnacle of shovelware. The moment the PS2 devkits matured and you didn't need a 160 I.Q. AND Aspergers to program the damn thing, the market got flooded overnight.

Considering how easy the DC, GC, and Xbox were I'm pretty surprised they didn't get hit as bad. DC barely got hit at all.

DC had a lot of homebrew even after Sega discontinued it. Homebrew isn't shovelware, but it did get games. :D

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 11 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostHulkNukem, on 12 July 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

:) Died from a bile duct growth.

What will become of Nintendo now?

Who would you like to see to become the new president of Nintendo?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 12 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

User is online   Lunick 

I'm really sad

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Yeah wow is all I can say.... Hope things don't go downhill :/ Also Dust Falcon thanks for mentioning Turok in the head post. I am sad to Lunick......

Thanks for N64 ^^ :)

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 12 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wow.....didn't expect or wish that.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Speechless right now. Thinking about all the amazing things that exist because of Iwata. Rest in peace.

He was a living force of passion and dedication. We won't have another like him for a damn long time. I have to say that I had a lot of respect for the man as someone who did his time in the trenches, actually working on games, instead of being someone who was just another businessman

I remember Viper aka Person of Color disliking Satoru Iwata in the past. I wonder what does he have to say now a/b his passing.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 13 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Taken today...Mr. Iwata is traveling the Rainbow Road to Heaven.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: CJyG8xwUAAAs-In.jpg large.jpg

Mr. Iwata did a lot of great things as a programmer. But he did far more damage as a manager.

He was your stereotypical modern day Japanese businessman - insular, conservative, risk-averse and clueless. I bet he was also into getting shit on by schoolgirls. No one that squeaky clean is demon-free.

As fucked up as it is good things can only come from his death. He hasn't done anything good in God knows how long.

User is online   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

That's so cool, Lunick! I hope you had an awesome day!

Happy (legal to drink in the USA) Birthday Lunick!. That cake is the truth! :D

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 11 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

User is online   Lunick 

If you have a 3DS, you can probably have fun with some homebrew right now:

Doom runs fine :D
Posted Image

View PostLunick, on 17 August 2015 - 02:14 AM, said:

Doom runs fine :D

I think the only thing Doom doesn't run on are things older than the minimum requirements back then. :D 3DS is pretty powerful for it, probably runs Quake without breaking a sweat too.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options