Duke4.net Forums: Inter-episode discussion - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inter-episode discussion  "past, present and future"

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Spoilers ahoy! After all it's the Inter-episode discussion thread. :P

Just a quick post to emphasize how much love the devs have put into the game, and to thank for that: last night, while I was free-falling in 'Touching The Sky' (was that the name of the last sequence?) I realized Micky, Mikko and James accomplish their respective missions at the same time. You can actually see the explosion of the Cohagen mines that occurs when Micky activates the machine to generate oxigen for the colony and the explosion of Arsia Mons Broadcasting rooftop that occurs after Mikko defeats Solari. I always hear the explosions, but never draw links.
Anyway, to me, it's the icing of the cake of the mission: it fits all fronts, makes you feel that it was happening at the same time (it actually was :P) and makes the whole Arsia Mons Colony mission an unique experience. :)

The squad should be famous at the start of EP3. :D

BTW, did James had his arm re-implanted or will we see him with a robotic one? :)

User is offline   Jblade 

That was Micky's idea to put those explosions in, glad you noticed them :)

BTW, did James had his arm re-implanted or will we see him with a robotic one?

Beat all of the main missions on Professional and check the EP2 ending again to find out :)

but to clarify 100%:
Spoiler

I remember him telling me that he'd have the robotic one in Ep3 but if you were playing the other episodes he'd have the normal one back which reassures me on the part of coherence as I said in my extensive feedback of the last missions :/

EDIT : woops James was there first XD

This post has been edited by thedrawliner: 19 November 2015 - 08:22 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the fact that they all complete their missions around the same time really pushes the notion of the Squad working as a cohesive team during the colony attack; splitting up and delegating to achieve the objectives as quickly and efficiently as possible. It also lends to consistency, since James and Sang both did stuff simultaneously during the Providence mission, and it worked well there too.

Still pretty disappointed about my Duke Burger coupons.

Spoiler

Hello again, AMC community and developers! It’s been a while, and I wanted to apologize for the ridiculous gap between my feedback posts. Up until a few days ago, I’d been without a computer for a few months, and I didn’t relish the thought of typing up my textbook-length posts on my phone. I’ve got myself a new laptop to work with, however, and I intend to finish providing my episode 2 feedback, come hell or high water! It’s good to be back on the AMC forums.

So, without further ado, time to pick up where I left off: discussing my impressions of The Wharf, Oil Rig, and Island Facility!

The Wharf: For quite some time, I’d honestly list the Wharf as my favorite level in the entire TC. I think it may have been surpassed by Arsia Mons or Zeta Base in my YouTube playthrough, but I still consider it to be an absolutely fantastic level that offers quite a different tone than most of the levels in the TC.

From an aesthetic viewpoints, the level holds up incredibly well. As soon as you step off the train from Big Trouble in China, it immediately hits you that The Wharf is going to be a hell of a lot different in tone than BTIC was. Set on a dark fishing wharf infested by Triad and Yakuza, the level mainly delivers in terms of atmosphere. The moody rainstorm, the lighthouse and other glows in the distance, the darkened corners of the architecture and sense of isolation - they all give The Wharf this eerie, mysterious tone, compelling you to explore this seemingly quiet yet silently teeming ghost town. It’s a complete break away from the fast paced, in-your-face action of BTIC, where you felt like an agent raiding a building filled with thugs; in the Wharf, the name of the game lies in exploration and finding your way through this dark and gloomy pier, constantly awaiting an ambush around every corner. The musical choice for this level fits well with the tone; it manages to sound mournful, dark, and mysterious all at once, and contribute to the mood you’ll be in as you explore the dark corners of the pier.

The Wharf primarily consists of three main sections - the opening on the wharf, consisting of a fishing store, laundromat, pier, herb store, and restaurant; the second, containing a construction site, temple/shrine, storage facility, and run-down tunnel; and the third, consisting of a forest, pier, underwater wrecks, and an interconnecting series of buildings, ranging from restaurants to living quarters and stores. In all 3 areas, the level showcases a lot of the cultural and architectural authenticity exhibited in BTIC, as well as in many other areas of the TC. The level’s design is mostly linear in how you approach these sections, but there are some branching paths and side locales, as well as a bit of backtracking. The first section section primarily focuses on combating Triads and Rippers in the outdoor mall area and interior of the restaurant and herb store, with some exploration in the other structures (fishing store, side rooms of the restaurant, etc.) The second section is much more exploration-focused, with only a few firefights with some new foes (namely, wasp drones and those strange giant green hulks), as well as a challenging and stimulating drive past the destroyed cars and laser tripwires in the ruined tunnel. Finally, the third area is a mix of the two styles; there are sections of moody exploration, such as in the forest area and the underwater shipwrecks, as well as intense firefights against Guardians, Triads, Yakuzas, and Rippers combined. Overall, the Wharf manages to constantly feel varied and exciting to explore and fight through whilst maintaining that atmosphere of eerieness and tension.

Highlights in the opening area lie in the interior design of most of the buildings. The fishing store, laundromat, and restaurant, in particular, while fairly small in design, pack a lot of attention to detail and give off a strange, tangible vibe. They’re abandoned and quaint-looking, but they have an almost cozy feeling to them; you feel welcomed into their interiors, to take shelter from the rain and take in all the little details that contribute to their atmosphere and design. Definite props to the restaurant area, with its several side rooms - bathrooms and corridors, etc. - as well as the added dialogue for when you try to get James to eat a piece of sushi. I admittedly got quite a chuckle out of that. The only parts of this section I wasn’t a huge fan of were the storage room in the restaurant and the herb store. The storage room is a little too dark, and the means of progression - interacting with a 10ft stack of crates to move them out of the way of a grate - is a little unintuitive. And the interior of the herb store feels a little uninspired; the fight with the Yakuzas and Rippers is fun, but it mostly just consists of sameish looking shelves pasted in regular intervals to the exit door. Just a few minor details - lights, interior decor, a slightly more varied room layout - would give this one room a pleasant aesthetic kick.

Moving on to the second area, the dark atmosphere present throughout the level reaches a peak here, perhaps matched only by the underwater exploration. Whenever I think of the Wharf, this is honestly the part of the map that first comes to mind. The storage room containing the power for the tunnel door has a interior design that reminds me of some of Shadow Warrior 2013’s interior factory areas, which was interesting. All 3 of the areas in this section had some feature that made it appealing to explore - the candlelit temple has an tangible eerie vibe and some great firefights, and the construction area felt well laid out and realistic, with the support beams of the building and the various accessible sub rooms (porta potties, foreman’s office, etc.) Again, the use of the computer terminals to divulge secret mission information is an excellent gimmick that challenges the player to thoroughly explore the level for the floppy disk & password, although I wish that more methods were used to discover these missions. My only issues with the construction site lie in the relative oversimplicity of the construction framework’s design, and the firefight with the wasp drones. They’re an interesting and unique foe, and it’s such a cool feeling to fight a voxel-based enemy in a game running on the build engine; at the same time, they’re really hard to see in the rain (and in most other levels, to be honest), which can make fighting them in the rain on top of the construction site a real pain in the ass. I’d ask for a larger hitbox/more visible voxel in order to keep these enemies from being too annoying. The tunnel driving sequence was also quite enjoyable, and added some more variety to the Wharf’s core gameplay. My only issue with it lay in how tight some of the curves were, which made it impossible to react in time to the sudden appearance of a set of laser tripwires.

The third area definitely shifts the focus a bit more back to combat; right after the awesome motorcycle jump, you get ambushed by a nasty squad of Triads. I find it quite fun to use my motorcycle as cover as I pick them off from a distance :dukeaffirmative: The diversion in the forest is a nice idea, but it needs some work to make it feel more interesting / rewarding. Where it stands, the relative narrowness of the forest makes it feel more like a tree-filled corridor, and there’s only one path that leads to a weapons cache. It’s decent, but you’re assaulted by Rippers immediately afterwards, which takes some of the wind out of the relatively small prize’s sails. I’d suggest fleshing out this area a little more, with a few branching paths and some other hidden caches, so that it’s a little more memorable. Maybe place a keycard in there, to encourage its exploration?

The pier area, consisting of a boardwalk flanked by a series of interconnecting buildings, boats, and shipwrecks on the ocean floor, had some intense and memorable firefights; picking off Guardians with my LR300 by looking for the glow of their red eyes was definitely a high point. I also really enjoy the reward for exploring the ocean floor. You get a fire shield, and a rope that allows you to directly rappel to the construction site after you’ve gotten the keycard for the laundromat! That’s rewarding level design, and it makes up somewhat for the overdarkness of the ocean. Don’t get me wrong; it definitely feels like I’m exploring the depths in the dark of a stormy night, but any area of the game that on base brightness settings I need to rely on the map to explore, I consider too dark. Also, fantastic placement on the crossbow weapon; I didn’t even get it on my first playthrough, and only learned of it by browsing the forums! It’s why I keep coming back to the TC; there are always new secrets I’m exploring and discovering. The connecting buildings were also interesting to explore; by this point, I’m usually pretty beat up and scrounging for health supplies, so the combat in these sections felt intense. My only issue is that the designs of these buildings, specifically the restaurant, feel a little sameish from the ones in the first section by the laundromat. Perhaps some new building layouts would make this part of the level feel significantly more memorable.

Finally, the level wraps up with a brief backtrack to the laundromat, where the AMC Team discovers the coordinates of a new target: the offshore island facility. Again, the decision to either segue straight into Island Facility, or to return to base to heal, switch characters and equipment, etc. is commendable. Honestly, more levels in the TC should use it, as they appeal to several playstyles - it appeases players who want to play the levels in rapid succession, as well as those who’d maybe want to head back to base to change characters or knock off some EDF missions. The cutscene on the boat was also very nice; the effect of the Aurora Borealis was a little underwhelming, and it felt weird listening to the ordinarily brazen and outspoken characters such as James share a more reflective moment (some cheesy dialogue, for sure) but it’s a solid wrap up to an excellent level, nonetheless.

Overall, the Wharf just kicks ass. Its theme and tone are consistent throughout the level, the balance between exploration and gunplay is super varied, and it just has a memorable something to it that keeps me coming back to it more than most other TC levels. .

Oil Rig: Let’s get this out of the way first: this is an incredibly memorable and atmospheric bonus level, keeping the tone of Episode 2’s Hong Kong segment while simultaneously offering a unique and unexpected environment to explore. However, it’s not without its quirks, which make Oil Rig a sometimes frustrating, but still enjoyable, bonus level.

The first things that hit me about this level were its compact size and aesthetic. Oil Rig is dense and open ended, yet highly compacted and misleadingly complex. There are various interior areas, high climbs to cranes and scaffolding, shipping crates to traverse, and the wave-rocked underbelly of the rig itself. All of these areas are well designed, all maintaining that mood of being isolated in a derelict, hostile structure. It’s got a great feel of authenticity to it, even more so than the realistic structures we saw in The Wharf and BTIC. Additionally adding to the atmosphere are the rainstorm, skybox, and lightning effects. It’s incredibly well done; few games properly achieve the tone of a gargantuan rainstorm, so the fact that you guys pulled it off in a freaking Build Engine game is commendable. There’s just one issue; the rainstorm seems to take a serious toll on performance. Looking back on my YouTube recording, my FPS definitely dipped below 20 in a few areas whilst staring out at the rain effects. It’s super impressive aesthetically, but overall, I’d recommend toning down the density of the effect for the sake of smoother and more responsive gameplay (FPS drops always are more noticeable than pretty visuals, IMO).

Oil Rig’s gameplay isn’t anything we haven’t experienced up this point, but its relatively short length and marked variety make up for this fairly well. Highlights include the mix of up long-range and up close battles with the Yakuza (using the flamethrower as Micky in the interior section is just wicked awesome) as well as some fairly straightforward level exploration (strengthened by viewing other detailed areas of the ship, such as the cranes & the underside) and keycard hunting. A couple sections I didn’t particularly enjoy: the battle with the wasp drones on top of the crane, and the platforming across the broken ship pieces on the rig’s underbelly. In the former example, the rain effects dropped my FPS down to about 20-30, making the drones rather annoying to fight. These effects also served to make the drones more difficult than usual to see. And lastly, the relatively cramped combat area means that if they choose to use their rockets, there probably isn’t a lot that can be done to avoid them. And as for the platforming section on the bottom of the ship: the wave mechanic looks good, is pulled off fairly well, and is pretty damn unique. But the platforming itself wasn’t all that great. I’d recommend toning down the distance between the jumps. I just found myself (off camera; I edited my excessive screw-ups out) plunging into the water when I was making a running start, or missing the other platform by a hair, leading me to save-scum after pretty much every jump. Not my favorite platforming section, admittedly. The drowning animation was pretty cool, but even it can get a little old when you’ve had to endure it 15-odd times during a single platforming section. However, this area was redeemed with an intense firefight against the Yakuza that spawn when you pick up the keycard. Very well placed AK-103 encourages the player to snipe out those jerks from a distance.

And finally, Oil Rig ultimately ends on a high note because of the rewards it provides the players (outside, of course, of just the experience of the level itself). Being able to blow up those powersuits is a nifty little feature that, in turn, makes one section on Island Facility significantly more manageable. This is definitely a big plus and a cool advantage; however, if you’re transitioning straight to Island Facility from the Wharf, you’ll already have played through Island Facility before Oil Rig, and won’t be able to reap the benefits of destroying the power suits. Of course, you can travel back from the Wharf after the level ends instead of getting on the boat, but then you miss the cool cutscene that plays when you transition straight to Island Facility. Ultimately, here’s my suggestion: Have “The Wharf” be unlocked in City Under Siege, and have “Repent Base” unlocked in The Wharf. That way, players can beat City Under Siege, play Oil Rig & destroy the power suits, and view the cutscene in transition to Island Facility.

The other awesome reward lies in rescuing Liz, who supplies you with new weapon upgrades! While not as cool as the new guns from Matvei, her presence is still a reward you can continue to appreciate (she appears next to the upgrade salesman), and her weapon upgrades are often pretty cool. Of note, I remember the M16 Masterkey shotgun becoming an absolute killing monstrosity because of her upgrades. And finally, we get our hands on Zaxtor’s Super Galil; the weapon’s launcher may be bugged, but it’s beautifully designed and a blast to use. It’s always enjoyable to put time into an extra level and receive cool and meaningful rewards, so props to you guys. Overall, a solid level, not without its frustrations, but definitely delivering in terms of gratifications.

Island Facility: In my eyes, Island Facility primarily represents a combination of the large scale exploration and level diversity encountered in The Wharf and the intense firefights experienced in BTIC, with several standout experiences encountered during the level, and a boss battle thrown in at the end. While I’d overall rank it slightly slower than the those two maps (and slightly higher than Oil Rig) in terms of enjoyability and atmosphere, Island Facility is an incredibly cool map in its own right, and one that I often view as it a representation of many of the best features included in the AMC TC.

When your character steps off that boat (or jet, depending on if you decided to return to base), the first thing that tends to strike you is the sense of the environment’s scale, and ominous feeling of infiltrating the “belly of the beast”, so to speak. You’re surrounded by towering cliffs, and you can see the dark and imperious silhouette of the facility itself nearby, rising above you. The red sky and overhead clouds (another excellent skybox effect), combined with the facility itself, really give you the vibe that shit is about to go down. For the most part, the interior design of the facility itself is well designed, but isn’t quite as memorable as most of the outdoor areas (which benefit largely from the sense of scale they have, allowing you to view other areas you will soon explore). They’re not bad, but they give off that “generic video-game factory” vibe (if that’s a thing; pardon if I’m speaking out of my ass) and are a little too familiar to some of the interior areas explored in the original Shadow Warrior. Standout interior areas include the reactor room, the storage rooms (i.e., the one containing the mini-nuke, and the one containing the powersuit), the early “reception areas”, the room in which the player battles the armored mech bosses, and the wasp drone assembly room containing James’s KSG 12 shotty. These areas benefit from tighter attention to detail and varied architecture when compared to some of the indoor hallways & a few of the outdoor areas. None of the level’s design is bland in any sense of the word, but there were a few sections that felt a bit more along the lines of level filler.

Where Island Facility really shines in terms of its gameplay is the white-knuckle combat and variety. Blasting Triads, Yakuzas, and Rippers in close quarters, battling powersuits with tanks and armored boats, and duking it out with the two mech suits using any available AP weaponry… these were all exciting and intense moments that really allow for Island Facility to stick out well in my mind. In terms of balancing, there are only a few moments that could use some tweaking. The first outdoor battle with the Yakuza (there’s a watchtower with one of them in it, I recall) is kind of a pain in the behind if you didn’t bring a long range weapon. Players transitioning from The Wharf will be well stocked and just fine, but if you’re jumping straight into Island Facility, you’ll have to try to pick off Yakuzas a good distance away with just your pistols and a shotgun (as well as your temp weapon, but it might not be suited for long range.) This can be arduous, as well as a health and ammo sink. As for the armored mechs… they offer some serious offensive firepower, and are a great fight (even if they’re the same as Proktor Vilmos’s mech from The Revolution) for SOME characters. With James, however? Load up AP slugs in your XM8, and drop those punks in a rather underwhelming 30 seconds. For the sake of rebalancing and improving the fight’s memorability, I’d suggest either reducing the effectiveness / limiting the ammo provided for weapons like James’s XM8 altfire, or increase the boss’s health pool & add some more attacks (Cycloid Emperor lasers, perhaps?)

In terms of exploration, the level is also fairly solid. It can be confusing on a first time playthrough, but the keycards aren’t a nightmare to find, the footwork/backtracking involved is large but generally still interesting, and there are rewards for those willing to deviate from the main path (James’s shotgun, the mini-nuke, etc.) The most memorable sections for me definitely lie in both vehicle sections, and the area immediately following the tank section which contained the reactor core. I’d say that the boat section is a bit underdeveloped: driving off the cliff into the water was exciting, but it’s pretty much just a straight and uneventful shot to the intense battle against the powersuit in the docking area. Some other obstacles (mines, other boats [?!]) could definitely flesh this area out. The tank section is incredibly intense, and a blast; you simultaneously get that powerhouse feeling when steamrolling squads of Yakuzas and the big green bastards, as well as the white-knuckle battles against the powersuits and wasp drones that really force you to focus-fire and attempt to dodge their projectiles. The outdoor area you explore is a bit flat - it needs to accommodate for a tank, understandably, but a few added details, such as plants, outdoor decorations, and building exteriors along the road would flesh this section out, in my opinion. And of course, using the mininuke against the powersuits was just so damn satisfying. I never really found many opportunities to use them in Shadow Warrior, but to one-shot the powersuits with it in this level felt quite empowering, and provided an alternative solution to players who get their tank heavily damaged.

Island Facility also packs quite few memorable setpieces and surprise moments. For example, the Yakuza boss appearing at the end of the walkway, only escape your grasp and ambush you with troops; the TNT-rigged dojo (admittedly, the structure felt out of place, but it’s still quite a cool moment, though the fact that the Yakuza boss’s trap allows you to access the lair of the mechs is a little silly); and the glass shattering after the mech fight, causing the room to flood. The latter definitely takes the cake here; I distinctly remember thinking to myself “Oh no” when I saw the glass cracked, and nearly panicked and drowned when the room flooded. The placement of the oxygen bubbles is quite forgiving, which helps mediate the shock. However, the door leading to the recently seppuku’d (?) boss is pretty easy to miss compared to the goddamn gigantic openings leading outside of the flooded room. My first instinct was to swim for my life; then I encountered the invisible walls, and realized I had to go back. Perhaps a cutscene indicating that a door had opened would prevent other players from making the same mistake :)

Just a fantastic level, overall. What strikes me about this level is the cathartic feeling you get after completing this level. The tank section and battle with the mechs are some of the most action heavy moments of the Hong Kong segment of Episode 2, and the tone noticeably shifts afterwards. Discovering the corpse of the boss, silently swimming away from the emptied hull of the facility, and the general moody and less intense tone of Tower of Life all serve to contrast from the ridiculous heights of combat you experienced immediately prior. It’s a well-done transition in tone, and it serves to make the incredible moments of this level stick out even more.

Until next time (hopefully not another 4 months)! I’ll be looking at Xuglop Train, Repent Base, and Hidden Dojo then.

User is offline   Jblade 

Glad you're back, and thanks for the detailed feedback - I definitely enjoy hearing your thoughts about the maps, many points I do agree with and I'll try to work on when I get inspiration to chip away at the old maps.

About the Oil rig progression; I prefer to keep it this way since it makes sense in the context of the story - what I really should of done is just make the mission select take you to the boat transition instead of straight to the island facility, I would bet a fair few people may of missed that cutscene outright. It's skippable anyway so there's no harm done there. I would love to have more introspective moments between characters like that, it's hard to get all of the voice acting in place but I definitely feel like it helps give the characters a bit more depth. The aurora borealis was an idea that looked better in my head than in practice, I might revisit it at some point. I need to re-word the mission update a bit so it doesn't sound like there will be consequences of going back to base - originally the boat drove into the island facility map but I just couldn't get it to work properly.

The forest WAS actually mandatory, with a bronze key in place but I removed it as it felt like filler :) The 'problem' is that we nearly hit the wall count in that map so level detail does suffer in places. As a whole me and Micky do prefer to work with conceptually grand concepts even if it means some areas are lacking a bit in detail, but I do aim to still give the ep2 maps a passover as development of ep3 continues. I've never been able to recreate the Galil launcher bug though, the only thing I've come across is not being able to switch away from the gun if you select Nuke mode and cancel the countdown.

I should of added a config option to lower the rain density on Oilrig - I'll do that for the next release. The guys did suggest adding some kind of flare effect to the drone's red antenna but I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, I'll have to take another crack at it. The ones in the construction site are pretty much there to use the heat seeking missiles on (I 'plan' to add weapons for every character that can use the zilla ammo types so you don't need to cart the missile launcher around all the time)

I think adding a sniper rifle somewhere to the start of the facility should help things quite a bit, it would be good for both killing the Yakuza and/or taking on the powersuits. The Slugs are kind of ridiculous, I've been hesistent to change them though since I literally don't have any other 'super' weapons apart from that. Most of my stuff is pretty much workhorse material, so whilst it means you can use the higher tier weapons for longer than most other characters it also means apart from the grenade launchers you don't have a lot of options for guns that pack a massive punch.

I did place a big red light above the door where you're supposed to go - I watched someone just stand in that room for a while in a stream so that's something else I should take another look at if I get the time :dukeaffirmative:

Thanks for the really detailed review of the levels! Me, Micky and the guys put a ton of effort into the levels and the mod so having a detailed discussion about each part makes the time we put into it more worthwhile. I'm looking forward to your next post.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 22 February 2016 - 01:38 AM

View PostJblade, on 22 February 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

I've never been able to recreate the Galil launcher bug though

I feels like I'm doomed into it, nobody gets it apart from ME T_T

Personally I don't think the rain effect on the Oil Rig is too dense but like I said in my reviews it sure looks ugly on the first glance because of the high up view at the very start but when the camera is back on the ground it looks good, same thing in the time portal on James' part of Arsia Mons.

View Postthedrawliner, on 22 February 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

I feels like I'm doomed into it, nobody gets it apart from ME T_T

I've NEVER been able to shoot ANYTHING from the Galil's ZMS. However, I prefer using it instead of other options for the accuracy - as I said on another post my playstyle is getting as many headshots as I can. :teehee:

@Rodrigo Belacruz III: Do a playthrough of Spookycut! Just checked your YouTube account, the video is already there. Beer and popcorn~! :dukeaffirmative:

Edit: I like your playstyle in that map. Using the scanner from time to time is mandatory to find every single secret. :) During my many playthroughs of that level -in order to get enough money to buy every single golden shotgun- I managed to find all of them, and even some hidden ammo in places that are not secrets. :P

This post has been edited by Rhaisher: 22 February 2016 - 05:23 AM

View PostJblade, on 22 February 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Glad you're back, and thanks for the detailed feedback - I definitely enjoy hearing your thoughts about the maps, many points I do agree with and I'll try to work on when I get inspiration to chip away at the old maps.

It's great to be back! I really missed interacting with the AMC community. While the Episode 2 maps are incredible as they are, I hope that the advice and feedback from myself and other players will help to make them even better.

About the Oil rig progression; I prefer to keep it this way since it makes sense in the context of the story - what I really should of done is just make the mission select take you to the boat transition instead of straight to the island facility, I would bet a fair few people may of missed that cutscene outright. It's skippable anyway so there's no harm done there. I would love to have more introspective moments between characters like that, it's hard to get all of the voice acting in place but I definitely feel like it helps give the characters a bit more depth. The aurora borealis was an idea that looked better in my head than in practice, I might revisit it at some point. I need to re-word the mission update a bit so it doesn't sound like there will be consequences of going back to base - originally the boat drove into the island facility map but I just couldn't get it to work properly.

That sounds like a good solution, although you'd have to enter Island Facility without your gear then (but that's what supply drops are for, I suppose.) More cutscenes like that would be fantastic; I won't get into it until Arsia Mons, but I think that the TC can only improve with more characterization. It must be a pain in the ass to record and organize all of that, but just a few short scenes like this could really improve some aspects of the story.

I've never been able to recreate the Galil launcher bug though, the only thing I've come across is not being able to switch away from the gun if you select Nuke mode and cancel the countdown.

Damn, that's a shame. For me, it only operates in AMC HQ (have to use DNWEAPONS to access it though) and in some of the Hong Kong levels. Never could get it to work in Jungle Base, where I imagine that it'd be pretty handy.

I should of added a config option to lower the rain density on Oilrig - I'll do that for the next release. The guys did suggest adding some kind of flare effect to the drone's red antenna but I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, I'll have to take another crack at it.

Please do. Like I said - I still really like Oil Rig, it just gets framey in some sections, which can make fighting the wasp drones a nightmare.

The Slugs are kind of ridiculous, I've been hesistent to change them though since I literally don't have any other 'super' weapons apart from that.
That is true, admittedly, although I'd argue that the XM8's green lasers are pretty effective themselves (not against armored enemies, though.] I'm not sure if this is possible, but perhaps give the mechs a mildy increased resistance to his XM8 or something? That way, they'd be effective against most foes, but perhaps not so much against the level-end boss. Of course, if you want a challenge, you can always stick to ZML DUP missiles and such :dukeaffirmative:

Thanks for the really detailed review of the levels! Me, Micky and the guys put a ton of effort into the levels and the mod so having a detailed discussion about each part makes the time we put into it more worthwhile. I'm looking forward to your next post.

It certainly shows how much work you've put in, and it's a blast to play as a result! I really hope that more people come forward with their opinions so that the TC can continue to grow and improve.

View PostRhaisher, on 22 February 2016 - 05:12 AM, said:

Edit: I like your playstyle in that map. Using the scanner from time to time is mandatory to find every single secret. :) During my many playthroughs of that level -in order to get enough money to buy every single golden shotgun- I managed to find all of them, and even some hidden ammo in places that are not secrets. :teehee:

Thank you very much! I've noticed that this is a recurring feature in Snowfall's levels (well, at least in this one and Zeta Base). In ZB, for example, you can scan doors to detect movement behind them, discover gas leaks and structural weaknesses, etc. It's really neat, and it encourages the use of the scanner for both pragmatic and atmospheric purposes. Was I anywhere close to finding all of the secrets?

View PostRodrigo Belacruz III, on 22 February 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

Was I anywhere close to finding all of the secrets?

Don't worry, they only contain ammo/health (no more treasure aside from the ones you showcase). For me, the most interesting secret is located between the shot-triggered elevator and a circular room with a key in the middle. If you backtrack after getting the key a pannel from the wall will open and inside you can get the Dragonslayer (Merlijn's Weapon-0 Slot - or 9, depending on your configuration). The spot is marked with a 'possible entry' if you scan it - this was the last secret I discovered, BTW.
I like to use that weapon in the 'chess' chamber where there are lots of teleporters. :)

There's, as well, a hidden 'tripbomb' where you have to pull a lever to activate a bridge, after crossing the first 'action button' triggered door. You have to lower the bridge once you're on it. The 'tripbomb' is next to its starting (lower) position.
This weapon comes in handy in this particular area because you can attach it to the pillar in front of the door that opens when you grab the key. If you're lucky, its explosion kills a couple of enemies - or enfeebles them. :dukeaffirmative:

Hello again, everybody! Rodrigo Belacruz III here, reporting back with my gathered thoughts on the next few levels in the TC. Before I get down to brass tacks, I’d likely to quickly thank James for his updates on Episode 3, as I finally got around to checking that thread on the front page. Even if the updates are intermittent, it’s fantastic to see a few of these new features as they get developed, as they provide players with opportunities to provide feedback for the changes that are made, and hold us over at least a little bit for Episode 3.

Additional note on Island Facility: Welp, I forgot to discuss the reactor room completely, after mentioning it as one of the more memorable sections of the map. Go figure :whistling: I really enjoyed this room’s layout; the effect of the coolant cores descending into the water was a nice touch, and the color pallette of the room really makes it stick out. It feels authentic, and it’s a fairly nice piece of eyecandy to boot. And, of course, if you’re playing as James, you can access that time portal on top of the reactor, travel several millennia in the future, and nab a super armor! I quite like the feature of time portals appearing in levels that only James can access, although I wish there was more of an indication for there at least being the PRESENCE of a portal for other characters (i.e., something they can scan). I feel like these portals should be analogous to the ghosts and VR station in Megabase. Other players can scan/see these things, but only Rusty can speak to the spirits, and only Mikko/Geoffrey can use the station. It’s not a huge deal - I imagine it’d be an awesome surprise if you decided to replay Island Facility as James - but I wish that there was at least some hint or indication that you should replay the level as James. Hell, I don’t think you can max out your research level unless you rescued the scientists via the portal in Dis Base, but you’d probably never guess that that’s where you’d find them.

Back to the reactor room after you visit the time portal; it’s super eerie in there, with the diminished lighting and barely visible ruins outside, as well as the overhead creaking of some unstable structure. I also appreciate the fact that you can scan that corpse in the present time, where its time of death is listed as “recent”, and rescan it in the future, giving you a slightly better indication of how far in the future you’ve travelled. I kind of wish the music would take a hiatus during this trip - like it does on Arsia Mons during that one section in Orbital Elevator - but it’s still a pretty neat secret.

Ok, now time to move on to the new levels.

Xuglop Train: Not every level in the TC needs to be gargantuan in terms of scope and design for it to be effective and fun, and this intense romp on a train is a prime example of that. It’s short, and lacking in explicit detail, but its packs a heavy punch in terms of close quarters combat, and it’s all the more enjoyable for that.

First thing I’d like to emphasize: while this level is still enjoyable visually, it doesn’t utilize many of the unique visual features and attention to detail that define most of the larger levels in the TC. The train looks kind of sameish in terms of its exterior design, there’s no skybox effect, most of the interiors of the cars have varied but largely simple architecture, etc. However, thanks to the level’s short length and dense combat sections, I’d say that it largely doesn’t suffer from the somewhat lowered aesthetic standards; Xuglop Train approaches the outside world as secondary in importance to the gunplay, and uses more conceptual and less detail-orientated techniques to craft the level. The only regard in which I suggest the level’s visual design could use a buff would be in making the player feel a little bit more like they’re on a different planet. I’m not asking for intense skybox effects or crazy natural features off to the side of the road. Maybe some strange looking plants, or some scraggly mountains in the distance? A twin star effect, like on Tatooine? Just suggestions. Again, taking in the environment isn’t the important part of the level, but I feel like it could use just a tiny bit more to make it feel like a unique experience in a unique environment - something that the vast majority of the levels in the TC pull off remarkably well. One of the cars - immediately after the powersuit - at least has a pleasantly varied interior design. It’s an impressive bar with a palette and artwork that kind of remind me of some of Blood’s interior areas. Nice little piece of memorable eyecandy.

Shooting the fuck out of those mercenaries who refuse to stop shouting “KILL THE INTRUDER” is where the level really shines. The combat in this level is kind of like what we experience in F.E.A.R. - taking on relatively small but dangerous squads of enemies in extreme close quarters. You’ll be sharing breathing space with troops armed with automatic shotguns, with little to no room to take cover, so you have to aim for the head and strafe with what little space you have to work with. Combined with the relative lightness of supplies, it’s exciting and challenging stuff - you’ll mostly just be fighting small squads, but their weapons pack quite a punch, and you’ll need to keep your wits in order to not die. The only section with the combat that I thought was excessive was the battle with the powersuit. It wasn’t near the levels of aggravation reached by the Cycloid Emperor battle back in City under Siege, but it’s still pretty nasty. The player is lacking pretty much any advantage we’ve had against those suits up to that point, such as heavy armor (vehicles), firepower (again vehicles, lots of AP ammo) and maneuvering space (large open areas as opposed to this narrow traincar.) I’ve found that you kind of have to camp out against the powersuit by hiding behind the preceding door; you can survive, but it’s often almost impossible not to take a hit, which is kind of lame. Additionally, supplies are quite light. We get one heavy rocket launcher, which I believe is just enough to get the job done, with room for maybe 1 or 2 misses. Projectile-based weapons have a tendency to clip right through some enemies, though, leaving me in some situations with no means to fight the powersuit. And yes, the loadout editor can help with this, but until the TC provides at least some means to identify what type of enemies there are in a level before you enter it, it’s hard to use the editor effectively. What if I guess that I’ll fight supernatural enemies on the train, and bring a tommy gun with silver bullets? It’s less of a problem here than with Jungle Base, but if it brings your level experience to a grinding halt because of something you couldn’t predict, I find that frustrating pretty much always.

Aside from that, the level is consistently fun and challenging throughout, though I’d advocate for a few more ammo drops / a few more options to take down the powersuit. Teleporting onto the boat and watching the train blow up was a nice moment; I think the explosion effect was a little underdone, but it’s still satisfying after a tough fight. I also enjoy the touch at the end for those who have played IW (playing it myself as of now, and having a good time with it!) And of course, the combat shovel is a neat little reward: for the first time in a while, I feel incentivized to melee enemies in a Build engine game! Not to mention the digging spots located in some levels, as a neat little bonus. Solid, tough, and rewarding level overall.

Repent Base: I’ll be straightforward: while there’s nothing really inherently wrong with this level, it overall comes across as a bit generic and unrewarding to play through. Whereas the vast majority of maps in this TC incorporate a variety of unique themes, mechanics, and level design aesthetics that make them overall feel vastly different and more detailed than most Duke user levels, Repent Base feels more like an EDF mission, and while I still enjoyed some aspects of it, it’s overall my least favorite unlockable side level, and in second place for my least favorite in the TC.

The level has some creatively designed areas, at least. The skybox effect outdoors is pretty nifty, giving us a view of a mountainside and some satellite dishes. Additionally, the submarine bay was realistically designed and cool to look at; it reminded me a lot of the docking area in the prologue mission of Bad Company 2. However, the rest of the level definitely feels generic; it feels just like one of those base settings that kind of blur together if you’ve spent any amount of time randoming in Attrition. Again, nothing is bad; never throughout the level did I say to myself, “Euch, this looks ugly.” But aside from those few moments I mentioned, nothing particularly caught my interest. The fact that much of the base was dark adds to the underwhelm, as it makes taking in details all the more difficult. One thing that would help this base setting stand out would for it to be more indicative of having a central purpose. Those Cycloids in stasis by the MIA gun were an interesting sight; if more stuff like that was replicated, it would make for a more interesting interior.

Thankfully, the level has some decent combat, and doesn’t overstay its welcome with its length. Only one armor vest provided is a little harsh, considering the fact that we’re facing Battlelords and plasma Commanders, but it’s manageable. Probably the most unique aspect from the combat came from using the MIA gun to capture those battlelords that spawn and give yourself some breathing room. It’s an interesting moment, where you have to use a weapon that I imagine most players won’t be extensively familiar with employing its tactical mechanic of capturing enemies for a short amount of time. Later fights are even tougher - the ambush of battlelords and plasma Commanders is pretty nasty - but by this point, we’re fairly well equipped. Like Xuglop Train, I’d say that combat is Repent Base’s strongest point, although less so. The fights are overall better balanced (aside from some annoying Sentry Drone spawns; seriously, the less I see of those bastards in a level, the better), and you can make use of night vision goggles to help with some of the darker areas. The only part where combat feels a little extraneous is at the submarine. Specifically: you can dive into the water and do battle with the Octobrains before swimming underneath, or just completely bypass them by jumping through the sub hatch.

The only aspect of this level I flat out don’t like is that it’s relatively unrewarding for a side mission. We got new temp weapons and purchasable weapons from The Revolution, a new artifact weapons, weapon upgrades, and less powersuits in Island Facility for Oil Rig, and several new research projects, an artifact weapon, and an entirely new branch of research from Hidden Dojo. Hell, even Jungle Base offers a pretty cool (if circumstantially useful) artifact, the Spirit Shawl. As for Repent Base, however? You can use the MIA gun to get plasma weapon research, but if you were like me, you probably just flat out killed the plasma commanders instead. It doesn’t help that the mechanics of the MIA gun are a little obscure; it has an interesting purpose in obtaining research project, but it’s certainly not a temp weapon I’d recommend bringing to most levels, and I imagine that some players (myself included in my early days of playing AMC TC) would have no idea that it could be used to obtain projects at all. And finally, we can face plasma Commanders as early as City Under Siege; granted, we’re less likely to have an MIA gun there, but it’s still an early opportunity to obtain the one unique reward Repent Base has to offer. I’d personally recommend something as simple as placing an artifact weapon here - maybe the Super Galil from Oil Rig, since that level is already well-rewarding?

Admittedly, I’m not a huge fan of Repent Base overall. But with some tweaks to the interior design and a more rewarding prize, I’d hold it a bit higher in my regards.

Hidden Dojo: By far, this level has to be one of the finer showcases of what TROR is capable of. While I’d overall list this level as relying more on visual design than strong gameplay, it’s still a unique and enjoyable experience, showcasing a unique setting as AMC TC often does quite effectively.

Overall, the level has some really awesome aesthetics. One of the things I enjoy about the Hong Kong segment of Episode 2 is how it incorporates so many different flavors of the Asian setting, even better than Shadow Warrior does. We have highly technological settings (Oil Rig, Island Facility); more conventional modern settings that incorporate authentic cultural design (BTIC, The Wharf); and explorations of older settings (Tower of Life, Hidden Dojo.) This variety in setting showcases the talents of the mappers, and provides variety in terms of atmosphere for every level. The dojo itself has some impressive architecture, and looks highly convincing and realistic. The surrounding areas are also nicely detailed, with all sorts of shrubbery on the shores of the pond, statues, and that one mysterious building with the zipline leading into it, probing the player to look for any means necessary to access that zipline and get inside. The indoor areas are a bit less memorable, but they sport convincing interior design for this type of setting, and they make for combat areas that are both enjoyable to fight in and pleasing to get a glimpse of. Because of the dojo setting, the relative simplicity in terms of interior details benefits the map fairly well. Presentation-wise, the only thing I’m not a huge fan of is the choice of music, which feels a little cliche. In the other Hong Kong levels, the music either provides atmospheric ambience (like in The Wharf and Shadow Realm) or accentuates the on-screen action and gets the player hyped (BTIC, Oil Rig, Island Facility). However, the music choice is just kind of loud and cheesy, neither accentuating the level’s action or enhancing its omnipresent atmosphere. If you’re open to changing the music, I’d opt for something a little bit more atmospheric, closer to what we had in Tower of Life, for instance.
The outdoor area is overall pretty damn solid in terms of how it looks, though it has a few issues that bug me. For one, the sky effect is a view of Mt. Fuji (I presume?); it’s a nice effect, but it’s a bit fucked up in terms of scale. Looking at it a certain way will cause the mountain to rise to Olympus Mons levels of height (and its treeline to scale to several times the size of California redwoods) and have other similarly - sized mountains to grow out of its sides like Siamese twins! I know that these are common byproducts of the Build Engine’s sky effect, and that the solution is sometimes to just grit your teeth and not look straight up. However, the AMC TC has historically been unique for providing eyecandy in the places you least expect it in a Build game, such as in its skybox effects; as such, if the sky effect can somehow be fixed, I’d highly recommend it for the sake of keeping it consistent in quality with other AMC levels. Additionally, the outdoor area is fairly nice and detailed to look at, but lacking in terms of reasons to do so; from what I see, aside from the statue containing the key, you can run around the entire perimeter of the dojo without locating a single secret or supply dump. This issue pops up in Shadow Realm as well, where it’s possible to run for long distances without much purpose. For the sake of more interesting outdoor design, I’d ask for like one or two secret stashes or something on the exterior. Maybe a section of the pond that you can dive into to obtain ammo, for example?

Gameplay wise, the map is pretty solid. It’s a standard keycard hunter and shooting gallery, but what helps it stand apart is its verticality, which allows for some unique interior design and exploration. The map is mostly linear in progression, but the course you’ll need to take to reach the roof is quite varied. You’ll be searching the side rooms, scaling around the sides of the building to reach new levels, blasting holes in the floor to descend to new areas, etc. The map manages to maintain some complexity and challenge in terms of how you progress through it in spite of its linearity, which is pretty awesome. There’s even an opportunity (if unintentional) for some sequence breaking: there’s one section where you’re supposed to jump outside of one of the side rooms and scale around the building to get a key, but if you progress far enough around, you can find an overhanging section of roof that’ll let you access the third floor without either of the keys. It’s a neat option, if (at least according to Micky) kind of an oversight. The only issue I have with it is that if you proceed along this path, there’s one section where you open a door, only to have several Yakuza spawn behind you, likely putting a serious hurt on you. I don’t know if it’s possible to change the orientation of enemies depending on what direction you approach their spawn trigger from, but if it’s possible to tweak, and if you’re interested in fleshing this path out, I’d suggest doing so. Overall, my only issue with the map’s gameplay is the relatively unvaried enemy selection; 90% of the enemies are Yakuzas, with like 2 Triads and 3 or 4 or the green hulk enemies (still don’t know their names). Some Rippers, Guardians, and other Triad variants (as well as wasp drones, if they get tweaked somewhat) would make the combat feel more intense, and lead to some multitasking. For example, prioritizing the hitscan Yakuza attacks while needing to dodge Guardian fireballs.

Like any good extra mission, Hidden Dojo rewards the player for discovering the level and playing through it. We get our hands on new research projects scattered around the dojo, and access to a new branch of research. Some of these projects (i.e., the ninja roll) have a lot of utility, and they’re awesome rewards to use! Additionally, the weapon we get for Merljin is absolutely badass, and it’s fairly well hidden; we can see the zipline from the start of the level, but to get to it, we have to perform a tricky jump down to its level. My only issue with this secret is that in order to get back to where you were in the level before jumping to the zipline, you have to perform quite a bit of backtracking and vertical climbing. Maybe have a connecting tunnel between the building and the dojo? A button to drop a ladder that would allow you to climb all of the dojo floors again?

Overall, Hidden Dojo is a pretty solid level, and probably my favorite of Episode 2’s side missions. I’m glad to see that the AMC TC’s side levels were significantly fleshed out in the jump from Ep. 1 to Ep. 2, and I hope that Ep. 3 delivers new ways of unlocking and experiencing them. I’d say that they’re most enjoyable as small-scale levels with a strong theme (i.e., a central building / structure) and a small but gratifying reward at the end. Excellent work, overall.

Until next time! I’ll be discussing Tower of Life, Shadow Realm, and Jungle Base then.

• Honored Donor

Thanks again for the detailed feedback :whistling:

Xuglop train and Repent base are certainly among the oldest of maps in the TC: You can see Xuglop train in the 2009 trailer which predates episode 1. Repent base was also a user map by James for the Prey your Prayers TC, where the MIA gun originally came from. I guess he figured so few people have played it that it was worth porting over.

I can try and make Hidden Dojo a bit easier to climb back up if you skip the keys but I don't think a ladder back to the top is very practical. Theoretically you could get back up quite quickly if you blow a hole in the wall surrounding the dojo, go through the underwater tunnel, then take the central stairwell up to the top, assuming you've dropped the rope across the segment of stairs destroyed by the explosions.

I remember the first few times I played the Dojo, I didn't understand the mechanics behind the gongs and so with a bit of wall jumping I could get to the second floor and never visit the first one ... I got to the secret in the house without the rope with a fair bit of wall jumping with the neighboring trees ...

I fear Jungle Base is going to get sloaughtered in this review, when I saw the description of the video about it ... >_>

• Honored Donor

Just some thoughts on the reactor core:

I'd always wanted to put some fans or humming computers in that room, but ultimately was too lazy to do so, which is why you see it so completely empty today :whistling: Did you say that round room specifically was a standout room despite its emptiness, or were you referring to the adjacent room?

I also had absolutely NO idea that James put a portal to the future there Posted Image It's a good thing he did though. As you said, special use of the portals for things like that are cool and the TC could use more of them, along with other character-specific mechanics. Part of me still wishes my character could do more than being able to salvage a toolkit Posted Image I mean I'm supposedly the smarted (or at least most extensively educated) character on the team, being the official engineer and scientist. Especially compared to James and his repeated use of would/could/should of haha Posted Image

View PostMicky C, on 16 March 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

Part of me still wishes my character could do more than being able to salvage a toolkit Posted Image

Maybe you could make it so that your OC is the only one who can drive certain vehicles ?

This post has been edited by thedrawliner: 16 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

View Postthedrawliner, on 16 March 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

Maybe you could make it so that your OC is the only one who can drive certain vehicles ?

Or the vehicles Micky drives have more health/regen faster/do more damage.

• Honored Donor

IIRC there was talk a few years ago of my character being able to build stuff from scrap metal collected in the field, perhaps not unlike an ultra-streamlined and simplified version of Rage's system. But that was probably not worth the coding effort.

It's certainly an interesting idea for my character to have the ability to augment certain mechanical equipment.

View PostMicky C, on 15 March 2016 - 05:56 PM, said:

Xuglop train and Repent base are certainly among the oldest of maps in the TC: You can see Xuglop train in the 2009 trailer which predates episode 1. Repent base was also a user map by James for the Prey your Prayers TC, where the MIA gun originally came from. I guess he figured so few people have played it that it was worth porting over.

No problem! Those maps definitely felt a bit more classic or orthodox in design, and while I still enjoyed them, I believe that some polishing would allow them to fit better in the TC and provide even more enjoyable experiences.

I can try and make Hidden Dojo a bit easier to climb back up if you skip the keys but I don't think a ladder back to the top is very practical. Theoretically you could get back up quite quickly if you blow a hole in the wall surrounding the dojo, go through the underwater tunnel, then take the central stairwell up to the top, assuming you've dropped the rope across the segment of stairs destroyed by the explosions.

Nevermind, then; I didn't realize you could blast a hole in a wall. I'd say the dojo is fine as is, then. :whistling:

View Postthedrawliner, on 15 March 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

I fear Jungle Base is going to get sloaughtered in this review, when I saw the description of the video about it ... >_>

No need to fear. I was definitely too harsh in the description, but when I had to endure the level and spend hours editing out 40 minutes from an hour 40 minute long recording, it left a bad taste in my mouth. While I overall didn't enjoy Jungle Base, I recognize its place as an optional ultra-challenge, and recognize that it has some merits, namely its unique location, fairly balanced combat, and some impressive architecture. I'll talk about the things I didn't like that could be viewed as more subjective criticisms for this type of ultra-challenge (overly confusing jungle, music choice in the base, some really weird / out of place rooms and architecture), whilst discussing the things that I think are objectively bad (switch timing puzzle, not providing a means to battle supernatural enemies, tiny platforms that tend to glitch out because sloped surfaces suck in the Build Engine), i.e., things that are either noticeably broken, lacking playtesting, or a very unappreciated "fuck you" to the player.

As I said: my overall impressions are negative, but the level has its impressive moments, and I will discuss these aspects in my review.

View PostMicky C, on 16 March 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

Just some thoughts on the reactor core:

I'd always wanted to put some fans or humming computers in that room, but ultimately was too lazy to do so, which is why you see it so completely empty today :woot: Did you say that round room specifically was a standout room despite its emptiness, or were you referring to the adjacent room?

The round room. I don't know; it just had a cool ambient vibe thanks to its lighting, and the architecture made it look convincing. It was just one of the more memorable rooms from the level, since some of the hallways looked sameish. Not to mention, the Guardians that spawn from above make for an intense fight, as you're scrambling to get to the top while they're raining fire on you.

I also had absolutely NO idea that James put a portal to the future there Posted Image It's a good thing he did though. As you said, special use of the portals for things like that are cool and the TC could use more of them, along with other character-specific mechanics. Part of me still wishes my character could do more than being able to salvage a toolkit Posted Image I mean I'm supposedly the smarted (or at least most extensively educated) character on the team, being the official engineer and scientist. Especially compared to James and his repeated use of would/could/should of haha Posted Image

He seriously didn't tell you? There you go; the AMC TC has so many well-hidden secrets, not even the level designers are aware of all of them! :P Just some quick thoughts: Maybe your character could salvage armor (like small +1 or +2 pickups) from enemies? Passively repair vehicles when you're not inside them? Gain access to certain locked rooms in levels to get supplies, kinda akin to VR stations for Mikko and ghosts for Rusty? Maybe he could repair broken vehicles (i.e., Pig Cop tanks and Powersuits) and turn them into allies with reduced HP, kind of like the ally perk in Attrition?

• Honored Donor

View PostRodrigo Belacruz III, on 16 March 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

He seriously didn't tell you? There you go; the AMC TC has so many well-hidden secrets, not even the level designers are aware of all of them! :whistling: Just some quick thoughts: Maybe your character could salvage armor (like small +1 or +2 pickups) from enemies? Passively repair vehicles when you're not inside them? Gain access to certain locked rooms in levels to get supplies, kinda akin to VR stations for Mikko and ghosts for Rusty? Maybe he could repair broken vehicles (i.e., Pig Cop tanks and Powersuits) and turn them into allies with reduced HP, kind of like the ally perk in Attrition?

There was so much collaborative mapping going on that it's really impossible to convey all the changes even if you wanted to. The SVN log is good for listing big changes and overall modifications, but if you spend a few hours doing lots of minor things you start to lose track. And yes James is incredibly stingy when it comes to listing mapping changes in the log Posted Image

Those are some more interesting ideas. It's entirely up to James what, if anything, he wants to add in for my character, since he's going to be the one putting the time in to code it up. Plus he has to consider overall character and gameplay balance with everything he does. I certainly hope he does something though. Vehicle repair is already something we've been thinking about for all the characters.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 16 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

And yes James is incredibly stingy when it comes to listing mapping changes in the log

Yeah this is true, most of the time I just put 'fixed some shit' or at best 'some misc work' in the log :whistling:

One of my goals is to go back and add in character specific stuff to maps, I agree that it's a severely under-used mechanic. Micky can always repair stuff with the toolbox and salvage it - again though this mechanic isn't used very often so it's not of much practical use (another skill geared towards co-op that probably won't materialize)

about Jungle base: it is a very controversial level, but I knew that it was going to be from the word go - I did make it optional but so far I don't think anybody actually skipped the map itself which is good and bad. I did playtest it as much as I could - the switch puzzle got broke a bit since there is supposed to be a beep that plays every second. I did make a fatal error with the ghosts erasing the PDU message though, I really need to make the garbled message effect temporary (or at least it shows up for a few split seconds when the player checks the mission log and THEN disapears, that would be creepier)

Thanks again for the hugely detailed feedback - I will try and implement things you've suggested but of course splitting time between new and older content is always a challenge.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options