Duke4.net Forums: Mickey Productions is looking for level designers - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mickey Productions is looking for level designers

User is offline   m96 

Are you experienced with the Build Engine?
We are working on a new project called Shaw's Nightmare II.
For more information contact me at michealmuniko@gmail.com

User is offline   Lunick 

Who's next to make a new Build engine game? Brownfarted?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I thought Shaw's Nightmare was never finished?

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Ha, competition!

User is offline   m96 

View PostDaedolon, on 29 March 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

I thought Shaw's Nightmare was never finished?

Shaw's Nightmare was already finished. I'm working on the sequel, Shaw's Nightmare II.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Ah cool. I remember you working with Shaw's Nightmare from way way back. Very cool that you stuck with it. :D

Good luck with the sequel.

User is offline   m96 

Hello again,

Do any of you have any unused Build maps that I may use in Shaw's Nightmare II?

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Unfortunately I haven't heard of the game till you made this post awhile back and I am assuming it uses its own system/gameplay and you couldn't just transfer a Duke map over without the struggles of learning the new system :D Looks cool hope someone can help you with your search. May I ask what version of build do you use to make maps for such game?

User is offline   m96 

View Post64Ghost, on 15 August 2015 - 08:22 AM, said:

I am assuming it uses its own system/gameplay and you couldn't just transfer a Duke map over without the struggles of learning the new system :D

I haven't found anyone up to now. Whenever I do get one, they seem to stop responding after some time without having given me anything.

View Post64Ghost, on 15 August 2015 - 08:22 AM, said:

May I ask what version of build do you use to make maps for such game?

I used Ken's source release.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I just got an idea. Remember how back in the 90s Apogee or Epic MegaGames would pick a game project and support its development by providing artists, composers etc. as well as consultation, and them publish the resulting game? (Specifically, this is how Epic MegaGames helped develop and then published Ken's Labyrinth.) Maybe 3D Realms would do the same with Shaw's Nightmare (II)? If I'm not mistaken, Micheal planned at some point a commercial release of the game, and it's already split into episodes so it could be easily published via the Apogee model.

I have played Shaw's Nightmare, and while it indeed needs some polish, it's a solid game, based around an interesting concept. With some tweaks to gameplay and levels, as well as an artistic update, I believe it could become something along the lines of The Adventures of Square.

Even if this is too far fetched, Micheal, have you tried asking people around at OpenGameArt.org Forums for graphics and/or other game resources? There are some very talented artists out there, who are willing to work on projects free of charge. Here's the forum section for resource requests:
http://opengameart.o...source-requests

User is offline   m96 

View PostMrFlibble, on 16 August 2015 - 04:30 AM, said:

I just got an idea. Remember how back in the 90s Apogee or Epic MegaGames would pick a game project and support its development by providing artists, composers etc. as well as consultation, and them publish the resulting game? (Specifically, this is how Epic MegaGames helped develop and then published Ken's Labyrinth.) Maybe 3D Realms would do the same with Shaw's Nightmare (II)? If I'm not mistaken, Micheal planned at some point a commercial release of the game, and it's already split into episodes so it could be easily published via the Apogee model.

Maybe but I fear they may ask me to change the game in ways that can make it indistinguishable from what it is now.

View PostMrFlibble, on 16 August 2015 - 04:30 AM, said:

Even if this is too far fetched, Micheal, have you tried asking people around at OpenGameArt.org Forums for graphics and/or other game resources? There are some very talented artists out there, who are willing to work on projects free of charge. Here's the forum section for resource requests:
http://opengameart.o...source-requests

Okay, I've tried now, but I don't know if it will work this time. As I said before I posted on multiple places but nobody has responded. Not even on Ludust. And if I do get one I don't think they will stay for long.

I'm actually beginning to lose hope for this project. Let's face it, Shaw's Nightmare has never been helped ever since Nuno Martinez left the project and even his contributions are not in the project as it is now. Don't want to upset you, but I think Shaw's Nightmare may be dead (and dead for years). Nobody has ever cared for this project beyond a few comments. The forums are not active and there are no mods. Even porting the game to Windows failed attract an audience. I don't know what makes people interested in a game anymore.

View Postm96, on 16 August 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

I'm actually beginning to lose hope for this project. Let's face it, Shaw's Nightmare has never been helped ever since Nuno Martinez left the project and even his contributions are not in the project as it is now.

Please don't give up! You got very far with the project already, which is a definite success. Shaw's Nightmare is a complete, playable, stable game. Many a project got abandoned long before reaching this stage. The fact that your game hasn't become widely successful doesn't mean it's hopeless. I'm certain you will be able to get more people interested eventually. Hopefully people at OpenGameArt.org respond to your request.

User is offline   m96 

Yes, and I appreciate you for saying that.

BTW, have you checked out my forums. I would like for you to be a member of the forums.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm just being honest here. I speak for myself and I don't know about anyone else. Because of the very simple level geometry and textures I don't think I could keep to that style. I would constantly want to push it a little farther here and there until it became something unlike what it is supposed to be. I just wouldn't be a good fit for the project. Plus I'm not quite as much into the retro style of gaming as others might be. But I do wish you good luck.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Mickey, you may want to use our forums as a base of conversation for your project. We're open to all things BUILD, and you'll get the added bonus of an existing community.

View Postm96, on 16 August 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

BTW, have you checked out my forums. I would like for you to be a member of the forums.

Yup, I did that a while ago. Sorry I didn't sign up.

View PostMark., on 16 August 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

I'm just being honest here. I speak for myself and I don't know about anyone else. Because of the very simple level geometry and textures I don't think I could keep to that style. I would constantly want to push it a little farther here and there until it became something unlike what it is supposed to be.

Actually, I believe there's another side to this, namely that there are really no set limits in the game. Perhaps it would actually be an interesting experiment to start developing more advanced levels (I'm not addressing you specifically, Mark., just speaking theoretically) within the existing framework of the game, and ask to add more features (like props for the levels), and find out where it gets you? I'm also hoping that the art will eventually evolve as well, or at least it can be expanded at the mappers' request.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

User is offline   m96 

View PostMrFlibble, on 16 August 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Please don't give up! You got very far with the project already, which is a definite success. Shaw's Nightmare is a complete, playable, stable game. Many a project got abandoned long before reaching this stage. The fact that your game hasn't become widely successful doesn't mean it's hopeless. I'm certain you will be able to get more people interested eventually. Hopefully people at OpenGameArt.org respond to your request.

Don't forget the lack of support and interest. I haven't found a suitable person in 8 years.

View Postm96, on 18 August 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Don't forget the lack of support and interest. I haven't found a suitable person in 8 years.

It is certainly not going to help matters if you keep reminding people how no one got interested in your game. Public interest does not appear on its own. A while ago, when I was working on my Dune II mod project, it became very clear that getting people interested in a project is as much important as the work on the project itself.

I believe it is very important to present as much information about a project as possible, including screenshots, and detailed description (not just the plot; keywords like "retro FPS', "Doom style" etc. should be helpful). Also, if you're asking for help, you need to specify exactly what you want to get improved.

You however seem to frequently resort to posting links instead of descriptions and screenshots. This "find out more on your own" approach is not a good way to spark interested in something. Just check Lunick's reaction here.

I think that developing a good strategy to increase popularity of the game is the first step to attract more people to its development. Since you're working on the sequel, why not share your ideas about it and ask people for feedback? The Duke4.net community is a good place for that.

BTW, here's a mostly positive review of the game I just found:
https://sparcie.word...htmare-for-dos/

User is offline   m96 

Screenshots from the latest version:
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Looks pretty cool though my only thing is I am mostly interested in FPS shooters. By the pictures I can't really tell what the goal is to accomplish in the game. Is there any videos? Those help to!

User is offline   m96 

I made a video, but I don't know how I will get it over a modem (I use a modem to access the Internet).

Concerning maps, I just got an idea. There are several utilities that generate random maps for Doom (OBLIGE, ObHack). There are also tools to convert Doom maps to Build maps (which hopefully work with maps generated by above utilities). Some can be downloaded here. Perhaps you could try creating some random maps and converting them to Shaw's Nightmare - at least, to use them as the basis of your own maps?

JIC, here's another Doom to Duke3D map converter (Wayback Machine copy):
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/o_wendlandt/refs.htm

It is supposedly more advanced than WAD2MAP. Works with Doom and Heretic levels.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 22 August 2015 - 02:43 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Well, it's not totally trash:
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Paul B 

Lunick those screenshots are amazing! I recognized them right away!

User is offline   m96 

View PostMrFlibble, on 22 August 2015 - 02:43 AM, said:

JIC, here's another Doom to Duke3D map converter (Wayback Machine copy):
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/o_wendlandt/refs.htm

It is supposedly more advanced than WAD2MAP. Works with Doom and Heretic levels.

That's the same converter I have downloaded.

User is offline   m96 

Today I have received a e-mail from somebody named Prakhar Verma asking me to join me in level designing. I accepted him though I am a bit cautious considering how I met two people who claimed to be level designers but had actually got nothing done. He has a good portfolio and it seems to show that he can stick to project and teams though. He is a game design student.

Glad to know that! Hopefully you will be able to release a demo showing his work soon!

User is offline   m96 

I've got some very bad news. The guy turned out to have a busy schedule and may not get to it. Maybe I need to find somebody experienced with the Build engine so that I don't have to teach them.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options