Duke4.net Forums: Duke nuke em graphics card - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke nuke em graphics card  "Graphics card"

Hello my fellow Duker's I need some help. My grandson found my old Duke games and he wants to play them. I need some information on what mother board will work with windows 98 and a good 512 graphics card to match. I don't want to use the dos box or e-duke system I would like to make him a moderate system like I used to use Can any one help me on this Thank you all in advance. If I am in the wrong section Please Mods put this where it is supposed to go Thank you

User is offline   blizzart 

View Postmagician5828, on 22 March 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Hello my fellow Duker's I need some help. My grandson found my old Duke games and he wants to play them. I need some information on what mother board will work with windows 98 and a good 512 graphics card to match. I don't want to use the dos box or e-duke system I would like to make him a moderate system like I used to use Can any one help me on this Thank you all in advance. If I am in the wrong section Please Mods put this where it is supposed to go Thank you

What´s wrong with EDuke32? There is no difference in between playing the original Duke3D and playing it with EDuke.

Although I think it would be more expensive to buy and build a retro system than to invest a few bucks in a system able playing EDuke32 in classic mode.

Menus aren't the same with EDuke, for example there's no "Ambient light" setting.

Some one just sold me a dell computer that said it will work with Windows 98 from E-bay. Now I just need some information on getting a 512 video card that will work with windows 98? (There are other games that require 512 to play them ) Any help on this Thank you.

Some one just sold me a dell computer that said it will work with Windows 98 from E-bay. Now I just need some information on getting a 512 video card that will work with windows 98? (There are other games that require 512 to play them ) Any help on this will be perfect.Thank you.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postthedrawliner, on 22 March 2015 - 01:05 PM, said:

Menus aren't the same with EDuke, for example there's no "Ambient light" setting.

"I don't understand the menus" and "I want the menus to be like the DOS version" are not valid reasons for not using EDuke32.

View Postmagician5828, on 22 March 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

Some one just sold me a dell computer that said it will work with Windows 98 from E-bay. Now I just need some information on getting a 512 video card that will work with windows 98? (There are other games that require 512 to play them ) Any help on this will be perfect.Thank you.

It will be hard or impossible to find a 512mb video card for Win98, IMO. Even if you could find one, it won´t be easy to find drivers for it. But why do you need a 512mb video card, if you want to use such an old system (and CPU I think)? And as long you want to play the original DOS-Duke3D, a 512MB video card is useless at all.

Please tell us the specs of the computer you mentioned and maybe we can tell you, which video card AND which OS makes more sense with its hardware.

To make things clear: using EDuke32 doesn´t make any difference to DOS-Duke. It´s the same gameplay experience, the same movements and the same graphics as long as you don´t use mods and/or the optional renderers like polyost and polymer. So there´s no argument for not using EDuke32 instead of really really old hardware.

This post has been edited by blizzart: 22 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

User is online   0815Jack 

View Postmagician5828, on 22 March 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

I think that its nearly impossible to get win98 running on newer hardware especially with a 512 MB grafic card. the lack of drivers and support will be the biggest problem.

View PostHendricks266, on 22 March 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

"I don't understand the menus" and "I want the menus to be like the DOS version" are not valid reasons for not using EDuke32.

There are games like Mad dog and such that require 512 graphics

View Postmagician5828, on 22 March 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

There are games like Mad dog and such that require 512 graphics

I´ve never heard of a game like that. But if it requires 512mb of VRAM it won´t for sure run on Win98 anymore.

Right now I´m not sure by what you mean with 512 graphics. Is this the required VRAM of a video card or something else. Can you show us a link to the system requirements of that "Mad Dog" game, please?

User is offline   Steveeeie 

Are you guys for real? :)

As a general rule;

> Any generic ATX Slot 1 motherboard. Shove a Celeron in it, they're cheaper and often overclock easily if you need them to go faster.
> 128MB SDRAM.
> ATI Rage 128's are cheap and plentiful. 32MB of RAM is the normal amount and is overkill in DOS mode, given that those games only use video memory as a frame-buffer with 8-Bit color... You'll probably never exceed 512K-1.5M.
> Sound Blaster AWE64 cards are cheap and common.
> CF-IDE adaptor, use a CF card in place of a hard drive.
> Cheap IDE CD-ROM from eBay.

Should play any Duke game from DN1 to DN3D under Win98 quite well. You'd certainly be able to use 640x480 VGA mode on that.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 22 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

View Postblizzart, on 22 March 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

I´ve never heard of a game like that. But if it requires 512mb of VRAM it won´t for sure run on Win98 anymore.

Right now I´m not sure by what you mean with 512 graphics. Is this the required VRAM of a video card or something else. Can you show us a link to the system requirements of that "Mad Dog" game, please?

The game is called Mad Dog McCree You can find it just by typing it in The other game that requires 512 would be space pirates Both are made by American Laser games

View Postmagician5828, on 22 March 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

The game is called Mad Dog McCree You can find it just by typing it in The other game that requires 512 would be space pirates Both are made by American Laser games

As shown here, this game needs a 512KB video card. I assume that a Win98 computer at least match this requirement.

So, once again: PLEASE TELL US THE SPECS OF THE COMPUTER you have bought and we can tell you, if it fits or not.

View Postblizzart, on 22 March 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

As shown here, this game needs a 512KB video card. I assume that a Win98 computer at least match this requirement.

So, once again: PLEASE TELL US THE SPECS OF THE COMPUTER you have bought and we can tell you, if it fits or not.

Mouse over image to zoom

Its a Intel-G1548-Motherboard-CPU-Combo-Pentium-4-2-66GHz-Processor-512-MB-Ram and it does take windows 98 I really do thank you for the help My grand son will really be happy if we can get this running I figure a good graphics card should have a drivers disk with it

Have one to sell? Sell now

Details about Intel G1548 Motherboard + CPU Combo, Pentium 4 2.66GHz Processor

Mouse over image to zoom

Intel-G1548-Motherboard-CPU-Combo-Pentium-4-2-66GHz-Processor-512-MB-Ram

Have one to sell? Sell now

Details about Intel G1548 Motherboard + CPU Combo, Pentium 4 2.66GHz Processor

You're going to have problems finding a sound card for that.

View PostHigh Treason, on 22 March 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

You're going to have problems finding a sound card for that.

Have an old sound card we just need a good graphics card LOL

Win XP would be the better choice for that PC in my opinion.

I don´t know if you find any Win 98 - drivers for it, but any nVidia Geforce 2 / Geforce 3 / Geforce 4 video card with 32 - 64MB VRAM should fit well. Also check, which graphic interface your mainboard supports (AGP I think, but who knows...).

I will do a search for these Thanks for your help I would even buy a combo system if I could find one

Not many PCI sound cards work in DOS.

Windows XP is a pointless exercise as that software won't work properly with it. Also, believe me, the Rage 128 is faster in DOS. Matrox G100 and G200 cards are even faster but cost more than the Rage, they're not really worth it for casual playing, only for bragging rights.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 22 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHendricks266, on 22 March 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

But the lack of a user (or even reference) manual after more than a decade of development might be. :)

Thanks to all for the help I found an N-videa card and the drivers for i.t Grandson will be really happy

View Postblizzart, on 22 March 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

Sorry I was off line and didn't see the reply My fault . What we have is an Intel C77881-306 LGA mother board w/ an intel Pentium 4 530j 3 ghz cpu sl7pu and a2 gb of memory. I am using an ati radion video card. Hope this is helpful. Thanks magician5828

View Postblizzart, on 22 March 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

What´s wrong with EDuke32? There is no difference in between playing the original Duke3D and playing it with EDuke.

Although I think it would be more expensive to buy and build a retro system than to invest a few bucks in a system able playing EDuke32 in classic mode.

I am using e-duke right now and it works great I only have one problem now with e-duke and that is under the instructions it says to run e-duke 32 with these command line parameters : "jDKKXTRM\PACK14 I don't know how to access the command prompt to do this any help will be fantastic. I really like the way everything else works on the system. Thanks

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

This may help: http://wiki.eduke32...._Command_Prompt

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options