Duke4.net Forums: Collecting Powerslave/Exhumed Textures From Saturn & PS? - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Collecting Powerslave/Exhumed Textures From Saturn & PS?  "Would it be worth it?"

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Would it be worth ripping the PowerSlave and Exhumed Textures from the Saturn and PlayStation Versions of these games?

This would be for a possible future use, if EDuke32 every supports the games.

I don't know if those textures in the Saturn and PlayStation are of higher quality or different, but could be used in user maps since EDuke32 would only support the PC versions.

Perhaps audio can be looked at too afterwards to see if there are new sounds or of higher quality.

Anyone interested in performing preliminary work to see whats what?

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Well I know very next to nothing about getting textures from these games, but during my search I found one Saturn Emulator that allows you to save textures, couldn't get it to work properly so I'll have to mess around with it.

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

User is offline   Renegado 

I ripped all the textures and some of the enemies from the PSX version. I posted it a couple of years ago on some other thread but I'll repost it here. The PSX textures can be easily ripped directly from the ePSX emulator with the PSX VRAM Viewer.

ENEMIES

Scorpion
Wasp
Hawk (missing 2 angles from his attack animation)
Anubis Warrior
Mummy

Guts: all enemies explode upon death in this gory explosion (resized accordingly to each enemy)
Posted Image

FONTS, ITEMS, WEAPONS, STATUSBAR, MAP, TITLE AND LOADING SCREENS

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Game Map
Map Markers
Items
Weapons

LEVEL TILESETS:

Map Props and Scenery

Level 1: Tomb of Ramses
Level 2: Karnak
Level 3: Karnak Sanctuary
Level 4: Sobek Pass
Level 5: Sobek Mountain Shrine
Level 6: Amun Mines
Level 7: Set Palace
Level 8: Set Arena
Level 9: Cavern of Peril
Level 10: Nile Gorge
Level 11: Thoth Treasure Reliquary
Level 12: Heket Marsh
Level 13: Sunken Palace of Khunum
Level 14: Deserted Slave Camp
Level 15: Selkis Path
Level 16: Selkis Burrow
Level 17: Magma Fields
Level 18: Horus Peak
Level 19: Canyons of Chaos
Level 20: Kilmaat Colony
Level 21: Kilmaat Haunt
Level 22: Kilmaat Arena

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Thank you for posting these again.
I'm still search for away to get the Saturn Textures.

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

User is offline   Joshua 

View PostCorvin, on 17 March 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Thank you for posting these again.
I'm still search for away to get the Saturn Textures.

You can try Yabause as it has a texture ripper. I used that to rip sprites from Duke Nukem 3D (Saturn version). I even got all of the player sprites (although some of the sprites did not exist in a complete set). Note that to get the emulator working, you must have a BIOS file for it. Another important thing to note is that BIOS files are copywrited material, making distribution of these files illegal, so the only way to get them legally is to rip them from an actual Sega Saturn console.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

That's the EMU I currently am trying to use. Although I'm not seeing how to dump textures. I'll keep trying, Thanks.

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

User is offline   Joshua 

View PostCorvin, on 18 March 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

That's the EMU I currently am trying to use. Although I'm not seeing how to dump textures. I'll keep trying, Thanks.

It's actually very easy. On the toolbar of the emulator, go to debug, then VDP1 or VDP2. From there, find the texture you're looking for, then hit ''save bitmap''. You can save the texture as a .PNG too (which is recommended to remove any black borders or background in the texture).

This post has been edited by Joshua: 18 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Your right its easy, managed to capture the background title screen.

But I can't get any controls configured to select in game options or new game....

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

User is offline   Joshua 

View PostCorvin, on 18 March 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

Your right its easy, managed to capture the background title screen.

But I can't get any controls configured to select in game options or new game....

To configure controls, go to file, then settings, from there go to input. Under the port 1 box, select the type of controller you will be using (pad and 3D Control Pad are a start), then hit the screwdriver icon and map your controls.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Alright Got it with your help. Seems to be alot of duplicate textures as its read.

So I only need to capture one of the duplicate textures then since I'm assuming the EMU is showing all texture locations show?

It's defiantly easy to miss a texture. Wish it would allow me to select the mess of them and then delete the ones I don't need.

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

User is offline   Joshua 

View PostCorvin, on 18 March 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

Alright Got it with your help. Seems to be alot of duplicate textures as its read.

So I only need to capture one of the duplicate textures then since I'm assuming the EMU is showing all texture locations show?

It's defiantly easy to miss a texture. Wish it would allow me to select the mess of them and then delete the ones I don't need.

Yes. You will only need one of the duplicates because Yabause can rip the same texture twice. I don't know for sure if it prints the location of the texture. One thing to mention is that some games textures are split up into pieces that make up one big texture (like how the PSX splits it's textures), but in my experience, 99% of the time I find the texture pieces next to each other in the texture dump list.

At first it is easy to skip right past the texture you're looking for. If you look at the VDP1 Command List box, you'll notice that there are different kinds of sprites ripped, like distorted sprite and scaled sprite. Distorted sprites are textures applied to walls, floors, and ceilings, but they can also be automap textures or textures used on models, and scaled sprites are usually things like character sprites. There are usually a lot of distorted sprites dumped, and there are sometimes few scaled sprites dumped. It all depends on the game.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Thanks again.

What about the loading of textures per level; Do they load at level start or do I have to play through the level to get all the textures/sprites to load?

I just have a feeling this pack of textures is going to need several revisions If I miss any. If and when EDuke32 supports Powerslave/Exhumed.

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

User is offline   Joshua 

View PostCorvin, on 19 March 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

Thanks again.

What about the loading of textures per level; Do they load at level start or do I have to play through the level to get all the textures/sprites to load?

I just have a feeling this pack of textures is going to need several revisions If I miss any. If and when EDuke32 supports Powerslave/Exhumed.

You must go through the level to get the textures and sprites to be loaded onto the dump list.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Well this is going to take some time, which I have, not sure I'll have the patience to do it tho, we'll see I guess...

EDIT:...I see why no one else has done this, it's a lot of work, did just part of level 1 and I been at it for 40 mins and have so far 34 textures.

Unless I find another way to do this I doubt I will even complete level1.

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

This post has been edited by Corvin: 21 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   Joshua 

View PostCorvin, on 20 March 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Well this is going to take some time, which I have, not sure I'll have the patience to do it tho, we'll see I guess...

EDIT:...I see why no one else has done this, it's a lot of work, did just part of level 1 and I been at it for 40 mins and have so far 34 textures.

Unless I find another way to do this I doubt I will even complete level1.

Unfortunately, dumping it through the VDP1/VDP2 chips is the only way at the moment, unless a vram viewer is made.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I found sorta a sprite dumper, haven't used it yet. But it wants me to use OpenGL in Yabause to capture these images. I was using software render to capture the textures and stuff cause I thought it would give me a cleaner image, more original.

This site has the program your suppose to run along with Yabause; http://spritedatabas...rial_saturn.php
glintercept is the program; https://github.com/d...nualInstall.zip

Should I use OpenGL or will that ruin the saved png image, like blur it or what not.?

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

User is offline   Joshua 

View PostCorvin, on 22 May 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

I found sorta a sprite dumper, haven't used it yet. But it wants me to use OpenGL in Yabause to capture these images. I was using software render to capture the textures and stuff cause I thought it would give me a cleaner image, more original.

This site has the program your suppose to run along with Yabause; http://spritedatabas...rial_saturn.php
glintercept is the program; https://github.com/d...nualInstall.zip

Should I use OpenGL or will that ruin the saved png image, like blur it or what not.?

I believe that GLintercept wouldn't ruin the image. It's really the file format you save into that matters. If you save textures to a lossy format such as .jpg, then the image will be blurry with a lot of speckle noise in it. In which case, if you open up the gliconfig.ini configurations file and scroll down the options, you should see ImageLog. Underneath ImageLog you should find something called 'Save Formats'. If it is set to .jpg, change it to a format like .png or .tga.

Also, GLintercept requires you to run programs in OpenGL mode, not software mode. This means you must switch Yabause's display mode from software video interface to OpenGL video interface. This can be done by going into file, then settings, then go to the video tab and switch from Software Video Interface to OpenGL.

Using the VDP1/VDP2 debug tools is easier in my opinion because the textures are all next to each other in the dump list, whereas GLintercept dumps the textures in a puzzle piece like fashion.

This post has been edited by Joshua: 24 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I don't think I'm doing too good of a job keeping things in order, its just too difficult. Also trying to capture enemy sprites and all their particles when killed is tough this way.
Anyhow this is all learning process and interesting, just takes too much of my time; I progressed through Level1 some more, took me an hour and I didn't go that far into it...enough complaining I guess.
Okay thanks again Joshua, you defiantly have the knowledge for this.

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2004-2017 Duke4.net and Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options