Duke4.net Forums: Descent: Underground. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Descent: Underground.  "Over 15 years later a sequel to the Descent franchise."

A sequel to Descent has been announced. Runs on the Unreal Engine 4. And a announcement video on YouTube and kickstarter page listed below.

https://www.kickstar...ent-underground

I wished some or most of the original crew from Parallax Software are behind this revival of Descent. Got any expectations for this? Does this make you wish for a Freespace 3?

descendentstudios.com/ks

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 11 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

It could be rad, my interest is piqued with the destructable voxel levels, could be neat. I'm interested to see what they do with it. :) No original devs, is kind of a bummer, but hey, it's looking cool so far.

User is offline   LkMax 

What have you done? Now that guy (who keeps changing his name and loves to post "le happy merchant" meme) is gonna jizz in his pants.

View PostLkMax, on 11 March 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

What have you done? Now that guy (who keeps changing his name and loves to post "le happy merchant" meme) is gonna jizz in his pants.

You mean 486DX2 aka Viper (The Rapper), aka Dial V for Viper, aka Protected by Viper and now known as Person of Color you're talking a/b. Let's see what his reaction is to this new installment in the Descent universe.

Also I'm feeling bummed there's no Pyro series ships like GX or GL are in this and nor any of the classic hostile robots, no mentions of PTMC or CED. I really like any of the source material from the 3 games making a comeback.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 11 March 2015 - 05:40 PM, said:

Also I'm feeling bummed there's no Pyro series ships like GX or GL are in this and nor any of the classic hostile robots, no mentions of PTMC or CED. I really like any of the source material from the 3 games making a comeback.

I thought the same thing, no robots, prisoners to rescue, etc. But I figure maybe later more classic stuff will get added in as it gets fleshed out.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostLkMax, on 11 March 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

I AM SO FUCKING READY.

BRB calling an ambulance in advance, I'm going to need the blood removed from my dick in 4.5 hours. No amount of jerking off or street hookers will fix this.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 11 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

This is literally the greatest news in gaming within the past five years. This is even better than finding out Duke Nukem Forever was alive, because there's actually a competent team behind this. If you disagree you have shitty taste in games and should be gassed along with everyone who likes Runescape.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 11 March 2015 - 09:07 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I want this but I'm also afraid..... very afraid.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 11 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

Do you see the people making this? How can you be afraid?!

All Parallax/Outrage ever did was make it worse. 2 was inferior in nearly every way and 3 fucking sucked.

Seriously, everyone working on this has touched something God tier. We've got old pricks, young fucks, and an Asian chick who DOESN'T have problem glasses. This is perfect man!

Descent 1 was my favorite game ever for 17 years...only the tear jerking mindfuck known as Mass Effect 3 managed to dethrone it.

By the team that still hasn't finished Star Citizen!

Honestly this made me pretty mad when I first saw it. it looks NOTHING like Descent, the focus is entirely wrong, and the best they could do to show us is... a really poorly made voxel cave.
Never been more disappointed with news of a sequel in my life.

^man Descent 3 was rad, the fuck you on? atleast you could tell what something was and not bumble around in weird abstract caves you had to utterly memorize to get things done.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 11 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

This is MP only = I am not even remotely interested.

View PostPerson of Color, on 11 March 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

Do you see the people making this? How can you be afraid?!All Parallax/Outrage ever did was make it worse. 2 was inferior in nearly every way and 3 fucking sucked.Seriously, everyone working on this has touched something God tier. We've got old pricks, young fucks, and an Asian chick who DOESN'T have problem glasses. This is perfect man!Descent 1 was my favorite game ever for 17 years...only the tear jerking mindfuck known as Mass Effect 3 managed to dethrone it.

2 wasn't necessarily worse. It had some great weapons like Helix Cannon, Mercury and Guided Missiles. Phoenix Cannon also was the first primary that allowed you to snipe robots from behind corners, and Omega could strike fast bots with near hitscan precision.

It had some questionable features like the Guidebot but the Guidebot was completely optional. And at least it didn't have the fucking Drillers. The Gauss bot is a pussy compared to the Driller.

View PostCarl Winslow, on 11 March 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

By the team that still hasn't finished Star Citizen!Honestly this made me pretty mad when I first saw it. it looks NOTHING like Descent, the focus is entirely wrong, and the best they could do to show us is... a really poorly made voxel cave.Never been more disappointed with news of a sequel in my life.^man Descent 3 was rad, the fuck you on? atleast you could tell what something was and not bumble around in weird abstract caves you had to utterly memorize to get things done.

This. It looks absolutely nothing like Descent. Doesn't even seem to have any of the original ships/weapons/bots, and also seems to be purely multiplayer. Seriously, this reeks of a cheap attempt to get retro gaming fans on board.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Booo MP-only. Also, boring generic epic movie orchestral score. Even if it's placeholder for now it doesn't make me think of anythin remotely like Descent's amazing electronic or even the industrial/metal soundtracks.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 March 2015 - 09:06 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

So I just started watching the video, after the meh bit of gameplay I was like wtf, Wingman?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 March 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Booo MP-only. Also, boring generic epic movie orchestral score. Even if it's placeholder for now it doesn't make me think of anythin remotely like Descent's amazing electronic or even the industrial/metal soundtracks.

To be fair to the devs, the escape sequences and Tycho Brahe confrontation in Descent 2 did have songs that sounded like Hollywood scores. But, since the game in the video looks nothing like the first three installments, it's most likely a coincidence.

User is offline   LkMax 

Multiplayer only? That's bad for at least two reasons:
1 - Single player campaing is the best part of this kind of game (IMO of course)
2 - If the game doesn't bring enough interest it'll be dead in weeks after launch. Heck, even AAA games sometimes have the multiplayer component almost useless because of lack of players, like Rage. :)

View PostDustFalcon85, on 11 March 2015 - 05:40 PM, said:

You mean 486DX2 aka Viper (The Rapper), aka Dial V for Viper, aka Protected by Viper and now known as Person of Color you're talking a/b. Let's see what his reaction is to this new installment in the Descent universe.

View PostPerson of Color, on 11 March 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

I AM SO FUCKING READY.

haha, yes, that guy.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 12 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Interplay C&D'd these guys for this i guess

TBH this looks more like Descent than that kickstarter does

and it's gonna have SP too and be free

Yeah it's fucking awful that this... THING got greenlighted, when there's a team who are doing something WAY better already that actually give a shit about the franchise. but nah, those guys shouldn't exist apparently, they want something by a bunch of failures.

I missed that this thing was multiplayer only the first time around. What the fuck, Interplay? This company needs to die already.

View PostCarl Winslow, on 11 March 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

By the team that still hasn't finished Star Citizen!

Honestly this made me pretty mad when I first saw it. it looks NOTHING like Descent, the focus is entirely wrong, and the best they could do to show us is... a really poorly made voxel cave.
Never been more disappointed with news of a sequel in my life.

^man Descent 3 was rad, the fuck you on? atleast you could tell what something was and not bumble around in weird abstract caves you had to utterly memorize to get things done.

D3 is shit, if you want to go from bland objective to bland objective with boring looking robots in small numbers in huge levels full of nothing, play Descent 3.

View PostCarl Winslow, on 12 March 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

Yeah it's fucking awful that this... THING got greenlighted, when there's a team who are doing something WAY better already that actually give a shit about the franchise. but nah, those guys shouldn't exist apparently, they want something by a bunch of failures.

LOL calling Star Citizen devs failures. You projecting much?

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 12 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostBloodshot, on 12 March 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

Interplay C&D'd these guys for this i guess

TBH this looks more like Descent than that kickstarter does

and it's gonna have SP too and be free

Gah oh men, that looks perfect. Why does this have to be C&D. Right, much more promise than the Kickstart.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

It's okay, they just have to ditch the descent name and pyro GX. Once they make the assets and ships a little less "lifted from Descent" they can release it like a spiritual successor

View PostPerson of Color, on 12 March 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

D3 is shit, if you want to go from bland objective to bland objective with boring looking robots in small numbers in huge levels full of nothing, play Descent 3.

I've played all of them and honestly I felt like D3 had the most overall variety. The only reason D1 feels like it has so much going on is because the game didn't have much space to actually use due to engine limitations and limitations of PCs at the time. having 5 or 6 enemies in a tight space vs 5 or 6 enemies in an open space can make things seem less intense, but most of the enemies in D3 were designed to constantly move around to take advantage of that. the D1 enemies don't move around all that much and barely attempt to dodge shots.
D2 is a clusterfuck of bad decisions though.

Actually, you know what was the best Descent game?
Forsaken.

View PostPerson of Color, on 12 March 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

LOL calling Star Citizen devs failures. You projecting much?

It's a project constantly leaking employees like a dying hog and it still has yet to get remotely close to any of it's promises or a full release. Your statement doesn't even make sense because there's nothing to be fucking 'projecting' anyway.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 13 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

View PostCarl Winslow, on 13 March 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

Mine design was too confusing and homing flash mega missile boss didn't help. Energy>shield converter, more things using energy and high consumption primaries favor Gauss weapon. Fusion, my favorite weapon, sucks in it, too.

But it isn't exactly "terrible".

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 13 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

User is offline   faked 

*drool*

It didn't get canceled. They will remove a few things to make it legally acceptable to be their own game.
Go check their facebook.
They are working on the game as we speak.
https://www.facebook...eparefordescent

View PostCarl Winslow, on 13 March 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

I've played all of them and honestly I felt like D3 had the most overall variety. The only reason D1 feels like it has so much going on is because the game didn't have much space to actually use due to engine limitations and limitations of PCs at the time. having 5 or 6 enemies in a tight space vs 5 or 6 enemies in an open space can make things seem less intense, but most of the enemies in D3 were designed to constantly move around to take advantage of that. the D1 enemies don't move around all that much and barely attempt to dodge shots.

Actually, you know what was the best Descent game?
Forsaken.

D1 enemies move around if you play on a higher difficulty. I'd rather fight 5-6 scary looking, lethal robots than the shitty looking weaklings in D2 and D3.

Also as far as variety goes, a box of Godiva chocolates is better than a bag of random pick and mix crap. You complete levels in Descent 1 with three keys and a reactor, you don't beat them with those items. The enemy placement, level design, and secrets create unique challenges for every level. Descent 1's level design and enemy placement is equal to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, which means it's literally the greatest ever.

D3's simple objectives, slow gameplay, and dull robots and levels don't add much. Even the cockpit view is shit. Half the devteam left to make a real game, and it shows. 15 years later I'm still playing FreeSpace and I haven't played D3 in over a decade. Fuck that mess.

It's a project constantly leaking employees like a dying hog and it still has yet to get remotely close to any of it's promises or a full release. Your statement doesn't even make sense because there's nothing to be fucking 'projecting' anyway.

>Remotely close

I'd be playing Arena Commander right now if my CH CombatStick wasn't defective after a couple weeks, and if the fucking store I bought it from would return my calls.

Oh, and between Elite Dangerous, and Star Citizen, there are literally NO MORE CH ProThrottles available for sale anywhere, except for ONE STORE that took me forever to find in Google, which was unlisted on Google Shopping. If anyone wants the link throw me a PM.

Star Citizen will be deemed a failure if it's shit when it launches. The development has had problems, but it hasn't had Daikatana problems.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 13 March 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

Mine design was too confusing and homing flash mega missile boss didn't help. Energy>shield converter, more things using energy and high consumption primaries favor Gauss weapon. Fusion, my favorite weapon, sucks in it, too.

But it isn't exactly "terrible".

D2's level design is a shitshow, although a few levels are great and the secret levels are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Honestly the worst thing about D2 is the Thief Bot, it forces the game to go from a tactical shooter like D1 to a messy bland arcade game. Certain weapons are needed for certain situations and all he does is limit your creativity. You can't stay back, think about how to clear a room, and gather your nerves. You're forced to barrel through everything and the game never builds tension. It's a good game but it's not great.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 15 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 15 March 2015 - 12:32 AM, said:

It didn't get canceled. They will remove a few things to make it legally acceptable to be their own game.
Go check their facebook.
They are working on the game as we speak.
https://www.facebook...eparefordescent

Great, glad they didn't get discouraged, cuz it looks great.

View PostPerson of Color, on 15 March 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

D1 enemies move around if you play on a higher difficulty. I'd rather fight 5-6 scary looking, lethal robots than the shitty looking weaklings in D2 and D3.

I have a soft spot for D2 because it was the only one I owned. It did have some annoying, "lethal" bots. I prefer the Lou Guard's design to the Medium Hulks in D1. Seekers are respectable enemies, Diamond Claws are scarier than their predecessors, Boarsheads are instant death if you're caught off guard.

I agree the Bandit sucked, though. And the Gauss bot (Bulk Destroyer) is a pussy compared to the Driller in D1.

What's your opinion of Descent Maximum for the PS1 aka consolized version of Descent II? IMO it's alright but it's got flaws listed below.

>The level design is short, weak, and on a few levels; linear.

>You get thrown around randomly for no reason meaning it's got a flawed physics system.

>The Thief Bots AI is so shit broken. It won't steal your weapons just moving around throughout the level.

> Most of the Boss rooms are claustrophobic.

> One Fusion Cannon in one and only level. Too bad the Fusion Cannon got nerfed in D2.

View PostPerson of Color, on 15 March 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

D2's level design is a shitshow, although a few levels are great and the secret levels are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Which those few levels are amazing Viper? Name them.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 15 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options