Duke4.net Forums: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood  "Standalone Prequel for The New Order"

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Also known as Go to Gamestop and Pre-order Zenimax and Bethesda presents: A Machinegames game: Wolfenstein: The New Order: The Old Blood: The standalone prequel: The movie: The game: Pre-Order edition.

The Old Blood will be a standalone prequel for The New Order. It will be $19.99 and launches on May 5th

It will have two parts (I'm assuming this means two levels) "Part one of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Rudi Jäger and the Den of Wolves -- pits BJ Blazkowicz against a maniacal prison warden as he breaks into Castle Wolfenstein in an attempt to steal the coordinates to General Deathshead’s compound.
In part two – The Dark Secrets of Helga Von Schabbs – our hero's search for the coordinates leads him to the city of Wulfburg where an obsessed Nazi archaeologist is exhuming mysterious artifacts that threaten to unleash a dark and ancient power."

Make sure you watch to the very end :)

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed The New Order and always wondered why they never made DLC for it; it has really good FPS controls and satisfying weapons but the main game is too short once you know where to go and what to do.
I'm assuming Bethesda/Zenimax didn't know how well TNO would be received so they didn't plan on any DLC, but once it came out it, it was too far away from the game's launch to have this come out as simple DLC and so its standalone. I'm cool with that, because hopefully it means the file size will be a lot smaller.

Anyways, this looks rad.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 04 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

User is offline   Steveeeie 

I really enjoyed this game, look forward to it :)

User is offline   MetHy 

Nice! I liked TNO so I'll be getting this.

User is offline   LkMax 

That was unexpected and certainly appreciated. :)
Another "iD" game that deserved more content is Rage, it was so fun IMO that one DLC was not enough.

Will buy.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Fricking EPIC trailer. I howled when he used the pipe "Hey, I'm talking to you!"

I loved TNO. I'm all over this.

EDIT: I see its 19.99 in Yankee currency. I wonder what us Brits will be screwed for over here?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 04 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't know, TNO was ok but it felt like the gameplay never really progressed and was kind of repetitive. It always felt like it was waiting to go to the next level of intensity but kept holding itself back, i.e instead of building up to a full set of intense weapons the game repeatedly took your weapons away. It's nice when a game does that a bit but this one did that waaaayyyy too often. It doesn't help that pretty much all the enemies have hitscan weapons, and the player never had any truely awesomely powerful weapon like a solid rocket launcher or powerful energy weapon (the LKW wasn't that powerful). It doesn't look like this DLC will have them, but those numerous fetch quests in the original were a real flow-stopper.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

View PostHulkNukem, on 04 March 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

It will have two parts (I'm assuming this means two levels) "Part one of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Rudi Jäger and the Den of Wolves -- pits BJ Blazkowicz against a maniacal prison warden as he breaks into Castle Wolfenstein in an attempt to steal the coordinates to General Deathshead’s compound.
In part two – The Dark Secrets of Helga Von Schabbs – our hero's search for the coordinates leads him to the city of Wulfburg where an obsessed Nazi archaeologist is exhuming mysterious artifacts that threaten to unleash a dark and ancient power."

Apparently it has 8 chapters

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMicky C, on 04 March 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

(...) It doesn't help that pretty much all the enemies have hitscan weapons (...)

Well but that's basically every Wolfenstein ever since Wolf 3D, you should've expected it.
As much as I love RTCW, for example, it was even worse with the overpowered ÜberSoldaten - good thing there was a lot of cover.

The hitscan argument becomes a null point in this game because once you collect enough health and/or armor upgrades, you become a bullet sponge. Plus it helps your weapons are accurate as all hell even when you don't use iron sights.
The LKW, once fully upgraded, also one shots all the small guys, even several in one shot; however it also has such small amounts of battery life. I'll agree it needed to be better.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 04 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

• Honored Donor

The hitscan thing isn't about the health, it's about the gameplay variety. Throw in a few projectiles to dodge you know? I know it's usually about the bullets in this series, but the premise obviously does allow for outlandish energy type weapons. I'm not saying the LKW was a weak weapon, but it would have been nice to have a really, really powerful weapon that could make short work of the bigger guys, even if there's not much ammo for it.

Also yeah the battery recharge mechanic for the laser cutter/LKW was a bit annoying. I'd think to think we've moved past the infinite ammo crate mechanic. At least the turrets didn't have the cooldown mechanic (shudder).

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Honestly RTCW could be frustrating as fuck sometimes with the hitscan AI

View PostLkMax, on 04 March 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Well but that's basically every Wolfenstein ever since Wolf 3D, you should've expected it.
As much as I love RTCW, for example, it was even worse with the overpowered ÜberSoldaten - good thing there was a lot of cover.

I haven't reached the Ubersoldat in RTCW but I've seen gameplay of it and it's a fucking bastard with machine-like reflexes (well maybe it's fitting since it's a mechanized human) that shoots bullets, missiles and tesla charges at you as soon as you pop the slightest amount of skin out of cover.

It didn't look extremely difficult but it required the sort of strategy I'd not expect to be forced to employ in a good game like RTCW.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostTea Monster, on 04 March 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

Fricking EPIC trailer. I howled when he used the pipe "Hey, I'm talking to you!"

I loved TNO. I'm all over this.

EDIT: I see its 19.99 in Yankee currency. I wonder what us Brits will be screwed for over here?

I feel you! The actual conversion is £13. but the uk conversion for goods is always a straight symbol swap these days, so expect £19.99!

bloody scumbags. :)

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 05 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

User is offline   Cage 

Can't watch in Germany. Meh.

• Honored Donor

View PostSteveeeie, on 05 March 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

I feel you! The actual conversion is £13. but the uk conversion for goods is always a straight symbol swap these days, so expect £19.99!

bloody scumbags. Posted Image

At least that's some kind of reason for being screwed over here. Things like games and music are more expensive in Australia (even before conversion let alone after) for absolutely no reason at all. Well, greed and that they can get away with it I suppose.

User is offline   Engel220 

The UK will get TOB for £14.99, which I think was roughly what Blood Dragon was on release as an example of a similar product price. Apparently the length is about 4-5 hours across several chapters, which is fairly reasonable for the price and considering the quality established by TNO it's not like you're being robbed blind for the money.

• Polymancer

Thats not too bad then. Being British, that gives us less to moan about, which would be a down side :)

Granted, TNO wasn't the most amazing shooter ever released, but it's solid oldschool fun, the design was top notch and aside from some strange bits ("I can't be bothered, go fetch me a welding torch" ) its loads of fun.

Looks good. I will be buying this for pc instead of Xbox this time.
And again: I feel bad for Australian people and envy US people.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 05 March 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

At least that's some kind of reason for being screwed over here. Things like games and music are more expensive in Australia (even before conversion let alone after) for absolutely no reason at all. Well, greed and that they can get away with it I suppose.

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

Doubled price, holy shit.

Thank god, I'm not live in Australia.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 06 March 2015 - 06:11 AM

• Polymancer

That's Australian Dollars, but you are still being screwed like a teenage Directioner trying to get a backstage pass.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 06 March 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

Doubled price, holy shit.

Thank god, I'm not live in Australia.

You should be thankful that you don't live in Brazil. Thanks to our government mismanagement, the value of $1 Dollar is getting close to $3 Reais, so it'll probably cost $60 or more for us.
Aaaaaand that's another reason why I rarely pay full price.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 06 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostDukeNukem64, on 06 March 2015 - 03:31 AM, said:

Looks good. I will be buying this for pc instead of Xbox this time.
And again: I feel bad for Australian people and envy US people.

You may be jealous of American prices but if it brings you any comfort, please know that most of the world sees us as this:

Why is that? Because most of us ARE. :)

View PostDuke Rocks, on 06 March 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

You may be jealous of American prices but if it brings you any comfort, please know that most of the world sees us as this:

Why is that? Because most of us ARE. :)

Thanks to blazkowicz, we aren't out of shape Nazis

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on 06 March 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

That's Australian Dollars, but you are still being screwed like a teenage Directioner trying to get a backstage pass.

Um excuse me, the Australian Dollar is not worth half as much as the US Dollar. It's roughly 0.77 at the moment, so yeah we're being screwed over. Even with $30 we would be paying slightly more than our share.

At least sites like Greenmangaming can sell us keys at the actual US price which should save a big chunk of money, especially when they have a sale.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Wolfenstein is starting an ad campaign for Blood?

User is offline   K100 

20min of gameplay:

User is offline   K100 

New gameplay: http://www.twitch.tv...844019?t=20m41s

Nice throwback !

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Wolf-front.jpg
  • Attached Image: wmplayer 2015-03-07 23-15-12-91.jpg

This post has been edited by K100: 07 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostK100, on 07 March 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

Nice throwback !

Very nifty artwork, but as if one single solitary man fighting a whole army of Nazis - and winning- wasn't hard enough of a concept to buy....we're supposed to believe he did it completely shirtless?!?! And politicians complain that these games are "far too realistic"....smh.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options