Duke4.net Forums: Valve announces Steam Link, gives price for Steam Controller - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Valve announces Steam Link, gives price for Steam Controller

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

http://www.polygon.c...ng-release-date

So it's not hugely expensive or anything. You can enjoy the comfort and casualness of playing on the TV and a couch, but with the power, customisation and upgradeability of a PC.
Works via streaming direct from the PC. I imagine the controller works with both the Link and PCs running any OS. I'm sure you guys have heard of the "Steam Box" at some point, and that Steam Home Streaming and the Big Picture mode were precursors for this.

So, are consoles finally starting to look obsolete?

User is offline   Lunick 

Polygon is a stupid site, use a better source.

Aside from that, I don't like this streaming future with Australia's shit internet.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's done within the same house so it's a LAN sort of thing. It shouldn't be that bad.

Besides, we're getting the fan-diddly-tastic NBN :)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 March 2015 - 04:54 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 04 March 2015 - 04:53 AM, said:

Besides, we're getting the fan-diddly-tastic NBN :)

I know you winked but I really have to point it out:

Nvidia is releasing a Game streaming service in May and it sounds pretty awesome for me except for a fact that someone pointed out:
Posted Image

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

I've tried Nvidia Shield streaming and Steam Home Streaming with 300mbps WIFI: still got notable lag, for me action games are not playable with streaming.
The one thing I'm excited about is Steam Controller.

Meh, you want to try internet in Hull, with only one ISP who's former CEO heads the governing body for the internet here, they can do whatever they want such as constantly increasing the bill for a service that disconnects regularly, degrades over time, cannot stream HD videos and often doesn't meet the 2MB minimum legal limit;
Posted Image

Also doesn't game online well and several ports were blocked a couple of years back.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 04 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

http://arstechnica.c...eality-headset/

HTC = HalfLife Three Confirmed

A very interesting interview with Gabe Newell,thanks to gamingonlinux.com for discovering it:

View PostKristian Joensen, on 07 March 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

A very interesting interview with Gabe Newell,thanks to gamingonlinux.com for discovering it:

Thanks for the link, but i first thought that the left half of the video was frozen, because the interview dude looked emotionless.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

How the hell do you play with your mouse and keyboard on the couch?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTea Monster, on 07 March 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

I have a Bluetooth keyboard and a mouse that seems to work on the couch's surface.

User is offline   Rellik 

View PostTea Monster, on 07 March 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

Wireless Keyboard/Mouse and Table Mate
Posted Image

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View Posttermit, on 04 March 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

I've tried Nvidia Shield streaming and Steam Home Streaming with 300mbps WIFI: still got notable lag, for me action games are not playable with streaming.
The one thing I'm excited about is Steam Controller.

Might be an issue with encoding/decoding? I tested The Witcher 2 by streaming it to my wife's aging laptop and the only limiting factor was my old-as-shit wifi card in my desktop PC couldn't provide enough throughput (my desktop is otherwise pretty beefy). Both machines are running Intel and NVIDIA though, so they support hardware encode/decode.

Otherwise, I got nuthin'.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options