Duke4.net Forums: Unity - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unity  "Version 5 just released"

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I wish I had a better starter post for a thread, but are there any developers here using Unity for their projects?

I've been previously working with Unity 4 for several months, and now that Unity 5/ just launched, I'm delving further into its features and capabilities as a game development platform. Luckily it seems like it's slowly becoming the industry standard (for small scale companies anyway) so my studies (and now work) with Unity aren't going to waste.

It feels almost as expandable and prototypeable(sp?) as EDuke32, almost, anyway :) so it might be a nice platform to prototype some of my ideas on as well.

Totally not a paid promotion, just really interested in the platform and what other people might think of it or use it for.

http://unity3d.com/

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I feel like Unity and Unreal Engine are becoming the Java/Ruby on Rails of game development: ubiquitous tools that anyone can learn but that also make a glut of shit possible by the same token.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Unity is a great platform, but UE4 is now free. You have to pay extra to get the version of Unity with all graphical bells and whistles.

No offence, but the idea of EDuke32 as a 'game development platform' on the same level as either UE or Unity is rediculous.

• Ancient Blood God

At first I actually felt more and more disgusted towards Unity only because of the sheer amount of trash running on it. Steam Greenlight and the countless "horror" "games" on YouTube made me wary about Unity so I never started learning it.

Due to a short job position, I got into Unity and actually started realizing its potential as a development platform. Now with more (anything over 0 is more, I guess) ties into local (and national) game developers I can see its usefulness in your portfolio since it's pretty much the go-to platform for developing games. Definitely helpful to know and learn.

View PostTea Monster, on 03 March 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

No offence, but the idea of EDuke32 as a 'game development platform' on the same level as either UE or Unity is rediculous.

I thought I said prototyping platform? And you haven't seen some of the stuff I have :)

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 03 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostHendricks266, on 03 March 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

I feel like Unity and Unreal Engine are becoming the Java/Ruby on Rails of game development: ubiquitous tools that anyone can learn but that also make a glut of shit possible by the same token.

Disagree, Unity maybe, but no Unreal Engine, C++ is to hard for beginners, they will prefer scripting languages, so I don't expect much shit from coming our UE. But if we are talking about bad platforms/software, it's a GameMaker for sure.

This post has been edited by termit: 03 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   Hank 

I use(d), failed projects) Unity for the last two years.
Pros: very versatile. Lot's of learning tools and books available
Cons: besides the up front, everything else you may need comes from the 'Store'. Even a simple tool like 'snap to model or to grid' costs another $25. Those nickels and dimes can add up very fast.

b.t.w. scripting is now mostly done in C#. May look simple at first, but on the second look it is still a programming language :)

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostHank, on 03 March 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

I use(d), failed projects) Unity for the last two years.
Pros: very versatile. Lot's of learning tools and books available
Cons: besides the up front, everything else you may need comes from the 'Store'. Even a simple tool like 'snap to model or to grid' costs another $25. Those nickels and dimes can add up very fast.

b.t.w. scripting is now mostly done in C#. May look simple at first, but on the second look it is still a programming language :)

I'd add Assets Store to pros. If you can do that some simple thing and test it in one hour then do it yourself, if not it's better to buy it for $25, because one hour of programmer work cost more than $25. So having a choice to buy or to do it yourself is always good.

• Ancient Blood God

View PostHank, on 03 March 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

Even a simple tool like 'snap to model or to grid' costs another $25

I just googled it and found a script someone had posted online.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

EdIt: Miss read what I was replying to

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 04 March 2015 - 05:14 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I have a very bad experience with Unity : Might and Magic X Legacy !

You were supposed to be able to create new contents for the game with the editor... but the compatilbe editor (premium version Unity Pro) cost 1500 euros in one time or 75 euros per month... who the hell could afford that ?

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View Postgemeaux333, on 04 March 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

I have a very bad experience with Unity : Might and Magic X Legacy !

You were supposed to be able to create new contents for the game with the editor... but the compatilbe editor (premium version Unity Pro) cost 1500 euros in one time or 75 euros per month... who the hell could afford that ?

You have to agree it's not Unity problem, it's a wrong approach by developers of Might and Magic X Legacy. If they expected that somebody will do new content they should provided proper free tools. Broforce made with Unity too, but they have a build-in level editor.

User is offline   Hank 

View Posttermit, on 04 March 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:

I'd add Assets Store to pros. If you can do that some simple thing and test it in one hour then do it yourself, if not it's better to buy it for $25, because one hour of programmer work cost more than $25. So having a choice to buy or to do it yourself is always good.

age old argument for Unity 3D. And no, it is not always good. I have had a hope in hell optimizing this piece of shit.
So I say it again, bottom line go pro and bring your wallet. Unity 3D is not for hobbyist and not for AAA stuff.

added
They changed a lot in 5, so I needed to slow down here. :)
added
Nah, still the same. :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 06 March 2015 - 06:18 AM

View Posttermit, on 03 March 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

Disagree, Unity maybe, but no Unreal Engine, C++ is to hard for beginners, they will prefer scripting languages, so I don't expect much shit from coming our UE. But if we are talking about bad platforms/software, it's a GameMaker for sure.

ahahaa you don't have to do that, it has Blueprint, which a significant amount of stuff can be done through without getting super fancy.

Unity you pretty much HAVE to use C#, which from experience is nothing but a pain in the dick psuedo-java.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 04 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I'd like to move my Underdone game from the Garry's Mod/Source engine to either Unity or Unreal, but it's something that I alone wouldn't be able to handle.

• Ancient Blood God

Actually they moved all the in-engine stuff from Unity 4 Professional to Unity 5 Free. Stuff like splash screens and all that are still pay-to-remove, but all of the previous actual game creation content you had to pay for is there from the get-go. Stuff like NavMesh Obstacles for creating stuff like doors are there, which is substantially better compared to before.

I feel like my team's game would have been further along had we gone with Unreal like I suggested, but they really wanted to not pay royalties so they were all like LET'S USE UNITY. christ.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostDaedolon, on 05 March 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

Actually they moved all the in-engine stuff from Unity 4 Professional to Unity 5 Free. Stuff like splash screens and all that are still pay-to-remove, but all of the previous actual game creation content you had to pay for is there from the get-go. Stuff like NavMesh Obstacles for creating stuff like doors are there, which is substantially better compared to before.

That's interesting, i thought all that stuff wasn't there for free, but maybe now ill learn how to use unity.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 05 March 2015 - 02:32 PM

• Ancient Blood God

Unity and UE are almost in the same spot when it comes to royalties now. Though I would never choose an engine depending on the monetization myself, rather rapid prototyping (so ease of use) and expandability (say, Unity's multiplatform build features). Those are the two first things I can come up with at 9am anyway.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options