Duke4.net Forums: Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove  "New Toejam and Earl Game on Kickstarter"

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

Seems like the original game designer wants to make a new Toejam and Earl game.
The art style looks very unique (although somewhat don't starvish), along with the game play representing the original. (a very unique game in the first place)
(and now it has up to 4 players)
All I can hope is that this isn't anything like the 3rd one.
Here are some pictures... (taken by gamespot)
Spoiler

Spoiler

and here's the kickstarter link
Kickstarter Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove
Gamespot Article
Gamespot Article

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 25 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Looks very, VERY Don't Starve esque

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostHulkNukem, on 25 February 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

Looks very, VERY Don't Starve esque

the art style does, I agree, but it doesn't have that sepia/faded tone that don't starve has. (along with Toejam having 3d terrain)
also gameplay wise (if toejam is at all like the first one, which it looks to be so) don't starve and toejam are very different.
Infact the correct term to use here would be Don't starve is incredibly Toejam and Earl esque.... (at least perspective wise)
also I think the main reason they did this was to allow the player to see the island underneath (to know where you fall)
and still keep the toejam and earl theme w/ it.
pics in this case are proof of relation:
Spoiler

Toejam and Earl released in 1991,
and yes both don't starve and toejam are roguelikes.
but toejam has temporary upgrades, a goal, (getting 10 spacehip parts) and no hunger/building aspect.
also again, as you can see you can't see the island below you in the toejam image, making purposefully falling into certain areas very difficult.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 25 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostBalls Of Steel Forever, on 25 February 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

the art style does, I agree, but it doesn't have that sepia/faded tone that don't starve has. (along with Toejam having 3d terrain)
also gameplay wise (if toejam is at all like the first one, which it looks to be so) don't starve and toejam are very different.
Infact the correct term to use here would be Don't starve is incredibly Toejam and Earl esque.... (at least perspective wise)
also I think the main reason they did this was to allow the player to see the island underneath (to know where you fall)
and still keep the toejam and earl theme w/ it.
pics in this case are proof of relation:
Spoiler

Toejam and Earl released in 1991,
and yes both don't starve and toejam are roguelikes.
but toejam has temporary upgrades, a goal, (getting 10 spacehip parts) and no hunger/building aspect.
also again, as you can see you can't see the island below you in the toejam image, making purposefully falling into certain areas very difficult.

Wasn't saying it was a bad thing at all :)
I rather like the look of both. Its a rather unique style, and its sure as hell better than another 8-bit sidescroller.

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostHulkNukem, on 25 February 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

Wasn't saying it was a bad thing at all :)
I rather like the look of both. Its a rather unique style, and its sure as hell better than another 8-bit sidescroller.

Funny you say that, as Toejam and earl 2 (Toejam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron)
was a sidescroller..
A fairly good one though.
and the only reason the gameplay changed so drastically
is because they were pushed by their developer, Sega, to do so.

I'm gonna stop talking about the third game.
(deleted short rant from post)

The first game was amazing,
and if this is anything like the first,
it will be amazing.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 26 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

Toejam and earl was picked up by Adult Swim.
It will be available to demo at Pax West.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options