Duke4.net Forums: Re-Exhumed on Eduke32? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re-Exhumed on Eduke32?

User is offline   geomancien 

do you think we can make this project eduke32?
Posted Image
http://forum.zdoom.o...t=47821#p813860

Re-Exhumed (public test 1.2)

This post has been edited by geomancien: 03 March 2015 - 01:20 AM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

You probably would want to base it on the the PlayStation version as the artwork/data is of higher quality and there is more assets.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postgeomancien, on 14 February 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

do you think we can make this project eduke32?
Posted Image
http://forum.zdoom.o...t=47821#p813860

Re-Exhumed data

Projects like this and ZBlood are absolutely disgusting. "HEY GUYS I LIKE A GAME I'LL RIP ITS ASSETS AND MAKE A MOD IN DOOM."

The only way EDuke32 would ever support Exhumed is if it were based on the PC version's source code, and there's a pretty good chance that it's lost forever ala Strife. That doesn't mean that there is no hope, but it would take an extraordinary effort.

View PostCorvin, on 14 February 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

You probably would want to base it on the the PlayStation version as the artwork/data is of higher quality and there is more assets.

It is not at all as simple as "it has better graphics". The PC version is a distinct game from the Saturn and PlayStation versions, and each of the three runs on its own particular engine (BUILD, SlaveDriver, and something custom respectively). EDuke32 supporting these console versions would be entirely out of scope.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Man, I meant ripping the Saturn version, and for an EDuke32 high res pack it should work, wouldn't it once all game engine/specifics are incorporated?
I haven't seen the Saturn version in awhile; I can't remember if there the same tiles.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Why would you ever downvote Corvin? You fuggin' guys.....

User is offline   Jblade 

Projects like this and ZBlood are absolutely disgusting. "HEY GUYS I LIKE A GAME I'LL RIP ITS ASSETS AND MAKE A MOD IN DOOM."

Have you actually played Re-Exhumed? I'll grant you about Zblood, but Re-Exhumed is actually pretty great. I don't know how far it will actually go but it doesn't just feel like a doom mod.

I'd love to see on Exhumed eduke32

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Re-Exhumed is like the PC and Saturn versions had a baby. It's pretty awesome. It feels like a whole new engine, rather than being Doom-based. Sorry, kind of have to down-vote you Hendricks for the knee-jerk reaction, putting down a fantastic project as "Disgusting" before barely even giving it a passing glance.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 15 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostHendricks266, on 14 February 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

I understand your point on ZBlood, but this sounds like you just judge it but never actually played it, sorry it just sounds so bad for me...
If you ever played that mod and still feel like that, then I may convince your point.

Yeah, even it used ZDooM engine, but doesn't mean it'll be plays like DooM, if it is, then that's fault of author who just silly. :lol:

Oh, this is interesting...(PS: this link may become broken after some weeks/months later due ZDooM forum's host setting.)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 16 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Recreations are a waste of everyone's time. Lot's of efforts, time and manpower, for something which by definition will be off. You can never recreate a game 100% accurately. Even recreations of Build games using EDuke32 fail, the ones made in Doom aren't even worth mentionning.

I guess it's a cool if people see it as "just a mod", the problem being that 1) most people see it as a replacement of the original, even though it's by definition inferior 2) the modders could have spent his time doing something original instead

Also I can play the game just perfectly in dosbox, thank you. People have even found way to have autorunning and mouselook always active, as well as ways to have a fast strafing.

Now though, I love Powerslave (DOS version, not so found of the console versions), and when I play it I dream as seeing / making a mod for it EDuke32, but not a recreation... a sequel would be great.

P.S : Speaking of "you can never recreate a game 100% accurately" and Powerslave at the same time, it's funny because the devs who made Powerslave also recreated DN3D in their engine, for Saturn. The gameplay is off by MILES, and those guys were pros.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMetHy, on 16 February 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

...those guys were pros.
Pro means to get paid for what you're doing. Nothing more, nothing less. And amateurs/fans aren't forced to finish in time or budget.

User is offline   Jblade 

All I'm saying is I played both PC and PSX Exhumed, and Re-Exhumed feels pretty great. Honestly just give it a try - literally the ONLY thing that reminded me it was a Doom engine was that the original Doom guy oof sound is in it. He even managed to recreate the realistic swimming motion that Exhumed had.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I feel like the author of Re-Exhumed is making this to test features with the Doom engine, and what better way to do it than to port a game (like how Duke was ported to the Slavedriver engine). A lot of things in Re-Exhumed feel exactly like they did in the actual game. A lot more effort has been made with this than ZBlood, which was not anywhere close to being like the original game.

Also, what about that guy remaking Blood on the Dark Forces engine? Nobody seems to have a problem with that.

I think a mod of Exhumed/Powerslave on eDuke32 would be awesome if it was a sequel or something, and not just a port of the first game.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postgerolf, on 16 February 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

Also, what about that guy remaking Blood on the Dark Forces engine? Nobody seems to have a problem with that.

I do.

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postgerolf, on 16 February 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

The DaggerXL Beta is currently in progress after which the DarkXL Beta will be the next goal, with the game being fully complete-able in the next version. Once DarkXL reaches Beta, OutlawsXL and BloodXL will become available and will be actively developed.

http://xlengine.com/...ndering-part-i/ March 30, 2014
Posted Image
"Nobody" has a problem because it will never become a reality.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostLeoD, on 16 February 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

Pro means to get paid for what you're doing. Nothing more, nothing less. And amateurs/fans aren't forced to finish in time or budget.

I meant it, pro in both meanings of the word. Lobotomy is very respescted.

• Auramancer

I just realized now that the first level of Re-Exhumed is nearly 100% accurate to the original version, aside from the obvious improvements such as slope usage. Nice.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Any video of this doom game available?

Just to see it without actually using it since I left Doom when I stopped using my Genesis 32x.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostCorvin, on 18 February 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

Any video of this doom game available?

Sorry about the framerate issue, GZDoom just doesn't like me.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

It looks pretty cool. Looks so much like powerslave. Thanks for producing a video.

This is kind of Silly, considering Night Dive has gotten the rights to rerelease the game and are working on modernizing the game, both with the Sega Saturn version and PC version.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostCarl Winslow, on 20 February 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

This is kind of Silly, considering Night Dive has gotten the rights to rerelease the game and are working on modernizing the game, both with the Sega Saturn version and PC version.

I'm not 100% sure they have the rights considering their vague wording. Also Kaiser is only working on PowerslaveEX which is based on the Saturn version. No progress towards the PC version.

Edit: Seems I tell a lie, it is actually based on the PS1 version https://powerslaveex...ge-1/#comment-4

This post has been edited by Lunick: 21 February 2015 - 04:44 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostCarl Winslow, on 20 February 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

and PC version.

Thanks for getting my hopes up Posted Image

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Oh it's Kaiser working on it?

I was gonna show interest in such a project from with whatever capability I have with my free time, but I guess now I don't have to.

User is offline   Player Lin 

<Deleted due silly me didn't read Lunick's post carefully...>

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 21 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

which holds the license for the game?

• Auramancer

View PostDaedolon, on 21 February 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

Oh it's Kaiser working on it?

I was gonna show interest in such a project from with whatever capability I have with my free time, but I guess now I don't have to.

Is that a stab at Kaiser, or is that a positive remark? I can't tell.

(Kaiser did Doom 64EX and Strive: Veteran Edition, both great projects and developed in a timely manner). Not to be confused with Lucius, another reverse engineer who's nowhere to be found.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 24 February 2015 - 07:54 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I really love the PSX version of the game, and just thought about doing some kind of reverse engineering on it few days ago. Then I read this, no work for me since Kaiser is good at his job.

• Auramancer

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Is that the same Kaiser that ate his own underwear because of something DNF related?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options