Duke4.net Forums: PC monitor - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PC monitor

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm looking into buying a new computer screen. I'd want a 24" that can show 120 FPS, however I can not seem to ever find information about refresh rates in monitors' specs, whether it's on a constructor or seller website.

Any knowledgeable person could enlighten me?

I saw Samsung 23.6" LED - SyncMaster S24D390HL at a shop earlier today for 180e but apparently the max refresh rate is 60.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

I suggest you look at AOCs line of products (they're relatively affordable, and extremely reliable, i've had one for 7 years, and it works perfectly fine) also all specs are made extremely obvious on their website. (including refresh rate) Aoc website

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 13 February 2015 - 11:52 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Thanks, the AOC G2460PQU seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I was thinking of getting the Acer GN246HLBbid Predator, which is 24", 144hz, 1ms as well. Both are at the same price (around 250e) except the Acer Predator does 3D.

The thing being, I don't know if I'd be using 3D much, if at all; so I wonder if the AOC G2460PQU would be better for 2D.

• Balls of Steel Forever

It's 150 bucks extra to be able to use the 3d vision on that monitor... (It also requires a Nvidia 3d vision compatible graphics card)
Amazon 3D glasses set
And The AOC is LED backlit, (unlike the ACER) so yes the AOC should have better picture quality (For 2d).
Comparison Page between the 2 monitors
Comparison Page between LED backlit and LCD

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 14 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I see, I'm pretty clueless and thought I could just use the kind of cheap 3D glasses you get in theaters.

The AOC does sound very interesting.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I always thought AOC to be a cheapy brand... Probably uses the same innards as other brands so whatever.

I usually just buy dell or acer monitors. Benq seems to be making a name for itself also. I suppose if someone is putting out 120+ hz monitors, they probably put some effort into them.

Fixed a 22" Samsung once, cap failed due to cooling problems. I replaced the cap, drilled some cooling holes in the back and it works to this day, gave that monitor to me ma, heh. The picture on her old 19" lcd looked yellow in comparison.

This post has been edited by Robman: 14 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostRobman, on 14 February 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

I always though AOC to be a cheapy brand... Probably uses the same innards as other brands so whatever.

I usually just buy dell or acer monitors. Benq seems to be making a name for itself also. I suppose if someone is putting out 120+ hz monitors, they probably put some effort into them.

Fixed a 22" Samsung once, cap failed due to cooling problems. I replaced the cap, drilled some cooling holes in the back and it works to this day, gave that monitor to me ma, heh. The picture on her old 19" lcd looked yellow in comparison.

What you're thinking of, at least " Cheapy " brand wise, is the Envision division of AOC, of which has one and only purpose of making, cheap, reliable tv sets. Aoc however, makes grade A affordable monitors (especially in the ips section). In other words, give them a chance. They're good at what they do.
P.S.: I apologize, robman for being so blunt, just had to make sure all of the facts were on the table.

Also all of the companies robman suggested are also very good options for purchasing a monitor.
There's also Lenovo, NEC, Asus and a whole host of companies which also produce quality monitors.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 14 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

Just to make your decision harder for you, here's a BENQ monitor that falls w/in your price range... (and your specifications)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITORITU

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

If you can afford an IPS panel, go for it.

I have a 24" Auria 16:10 1920x1200 IPS monitor with an LG panel. Got it for 108 at Micro Center on clearance. Was originally $240. It looks incredible. My LG G3 phone is also IPS.

IPS gives far, far better colors than TN. I'd rather have my 60Hz IPS panel than a 120Hz TN. Everything looks organic as fuck. You wanna stick your tongue out and lick the fucking thing. On a TN panel colors get very bold and fake, on an IPS panel your brain thinks it's looking at the real thing. Keep in mind that IPS has full 24-bit color range, and TN has 18 or 20 bit. IPS always gives you the right color. TN always gives you the wrong one, or tries to "fake it" with dithering.

LG makes the best IPS panels, by the way.

I'll tolerate a TN panel on a laptop. But for my desktop, you couldn't pay me to switch back to TN.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 15 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

"The twisted nematic effect is based on the precisely controlled realignment of liquid crystal molecules between different ordered molecular configurations under the action of an applied electric field. This is achieved with little power consumption and at low operating voltages."

"IPS (In-plane switching) is a screen technology used for liquid crystal displays (LCDs). It was designed to solve the main limitations of the twisted nematic field effect (TN) matrix LCDs in the late 1980s. These limitations included relatively slow response time[citation needed], strong viewing angle dependence and low-quality color reproduction. In-plane switching involves arranging and switching the orientation of the molecules of the liquid crystal (LC) layer between the glass substrates. This is done essentially parallel to these glass plates."

Bought an ($400)acer 24" 16:10 1920x1200 2ms LCD back in '09 and I loved that thing, uses 100watts though. The ($139)dell 24" 1920x1080 16:9 5ms led backlit I bought 3 or so months ago uses only 20w, I'm not crazy about the picture though, text is clear but colours are a bit washed out.

This post has been edited by Robman: 16 February 2015 - 03:34 AM

>Bitching about monitor power usage

Liberal faggot.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

lol, I knew you'd run with that tidbit but you see there are reasons...

1: Electricity costs money, the cost of electricity is sure to only RISE.

2: I live off the grid, solar power... I need efficient stuff.
I wouldn't be into buying laptops now if I wasn't. I loved my desktops and the horsepower.

You owe me an upvote for laughing at your "Italian" comment in the "not dead" thread by the way!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Robman: 16 February 2015 - 09:27 PM

Why do you live off the grid?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostPerson of Color, on 16 February 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

Why do you live off the grid?

You said it yourself, "I don't like sucking Uncle Sam's d*ck" .. The Canadian version anyway.

Being "bled" out with bills every month is a form of slavery imo. Taking matters more into your own hands and learning some things + reducing incoming bills is pleasing.
Being completely dependant upon "the system" is not my idea of life well spent. Worrying about money/stress will kill ya. I don't like credit cards, I don't like debt. When I get something, I'll pay for it whole and I like to pay for something once and be done with it. Not have it drag on month after month after month..

If we have a big storm or something and people are without power for a week, my solar panels and woodstove don't even let me notice.
I've talked of my "offgridness" in other threads before.
I might even have made the first sw maps to be completely made from sun energy.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Robman: 16 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

No one bleeds me out with anything.

I financed my car through a local credit union. It's also where I do all my "banking." Not really the right term because credit unions are non profit.

I also live with my parents. Sorry I'm not edgy enough, I'm not Gen X.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 17 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

I think it's going to go for the AOC posted ITT.

I really don't know about IPS pannels though. Got an example for one?

• Balls of Steel Forever

Ips Better picture quality/lower fps , Non ips lower picture quality/higher fps. Gaming wise stick with your guns (the non ips display). Picture quality wise go with ips, Even though at 250 dollars an ips display will only display 60hz.(you would have to go up to 450 to get a 120hz ips display ) you cannot lose in buying either, as each have their own good qualities, and each have their downfalls. Aoc has 2 award winning ips displays, the 23 inch 60 hz i2367fh, and the 27 inch 60 hz i2757fh, which both fall w/in your price range, being at 140 dollars and 300 dollars respectively.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 18 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I am:
Early Generation Y
The Millennials
Gen Next

I guess..

This post has been edited by Robman: 19 February 2015 - 12:19 AM

Do you not understand satire?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Why do I get the impression that I'm talking to a homo-eroticized 300lb disgruntled ape, perched at a keyboard?
Even I know calling someone who's been nice to you a "fagget" out of the blue like that is a faux-pas.
You remain somewhat eloquent yet I'm thinking you've ingested too many chemicals.
Is it our turn to scrap? TallyHo!!! EnGuard!

lol, I've edited this like 400 times, quit calling me a faggot, you sizzling cumstain of a bio-hazard, sprinkled with herpes & a dash of hitler.

F*ckin malnourished hermaphrodite........sphincter probing rump junky.

This post has been edited by Robman: 19 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

Faggot.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostPerson of Color, on 20 February 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

Faggot.

In a previous edit, I wrote about how you would say exactly that, and how predictable it would be. You can do better.

Do you somehow wish I was a fag so we'd be on common ground?

Also.. Comrade... you are literally second hand toilet paper of the human variety, tell me... what does Vipers ass taste like?

This post has been edited by Robman: 20 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

That is interesting, because did you know It's always been a fantasy of mine to be a sex slave for 2 Robmen, male and female, pleasing the male when she's tired, and vice versa. Slowly sliding my lips up and down his pathetically thin shaft, tasting his pre-cum on my tongue. Once he's had enough of that, he rolls over onto his back, lifting me up as though I weighed nothing. Gently placing me on his cock and one ball, I guide him in, feeling him stretch me wide open. I moan with pleasure, feeling him fill me up. He growls softly, I feel it rumble deep in his chest, vibrating all the way down his body and through mine. He continues to lift me up and then pull me down. He's doing all the work for me, it feels so good, the warmth of his motorcycle jacket, his tiny bony gloved hands on either side of my waist. He is in total control, I'm just nothing compared to his vast size and strength, but I have total trust in him, I know he won't hurt me. I feel the pace quicken, almost imperceptibly. I slowly stroke myself, feeling myself nearing the point of no return coming closer with every stroke. I can hear the growl getting louder now; he speeds up even more, forcing me further and further down onto his thin white pencil cock. If it wasn't for the fact my body is releasing so many endorphines, I would probably be screaming in agony. Except I am panting and whining, just like a bitch, begging her mate to fill me up. His gloves dig in deeper, the pain, its excsquisite. It sends me over the edge. My head goes back, I let out a short grunt, I feel my cock explode, covering his dirtbike's fenders in my seed. I keep stroking, it looks as though I'm trying to rip my cock out. I let out another grunt, another torrent flows forth, then another and another. A drop lands on the edgy faggot's helmet. He seems confused for a moment. That's what I think. He digs his OCC brand motorcycle gloves in even harder now and slams me onto his cock, I feel his grumble turn into a roar. He's cumming, oh my god. I can feel in, filling me up. It's undescribable. He's mating with me, he's claimed me. I feel him slow, his cock still throbbing within me, it seems as though there's no more room for his cum. It's dripping out of me, onto his single undersized testicle. I reach down, and then bring my hand up, tasting him. It's more than I ever expected. It's heaven. Plus some fecal matter. And off brand motor oil.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 20 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Luckily for me, I have the option to read that or not to read that. Given your infatuation with all things homosexual, I'll choose the "not" route.

Crawl back to your basement fellas, unlike this facade, the tears streaming down your cheeks mid-masturbation are real.

How many tongues can fit in your poo pucker? I see 2 that seem to slide in easily.

Given how many people in here are popping pills for mental disorders, you won't move me fellas.

This post has been edited by Robman: 20 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

Does boofing ecstasy count as popping pills?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostPerson of Color, on 27 February 2015 - 09:47 PM, said:

Does boofing ecstasy count as popping pills?

When an object is inserted rectally, does the anus not push inward and then spring back in a popping motion as it envelopes said object?

It counts.

User is offline   MetHy 

So I still haven't bought that screen. Now is the time for global sales here, but there doesn't seem to be any sale on the screens I'm interested in, only on the shittier screens obviously.

I guess I'll go for the AOC G2460PQU like mentionned itt unless someone as a better suggestion?

This time I'll order in the next few days and not wait 4 more months.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 June 2015 - 02:25 AM

Get the most cost-effective IPS, 60Hz one you can find.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'd rather have a 144hz TN than a 60hz IPS honestly.

Edit: I'm tempted by the Asus VG248QE now. Some reviews claims it has better colours and reactivity than the AOC G2460Pqu, and it does 3D too. It's a little more expensive though.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 June 2015 - 02:13 AM

View PostMetHy, on 25 June 2015 - 01:11 AM, said:

I'd rather have a 144hz TN than a 60hz IPS honestly.

I wanted one of those, but I heard the tearing got worse the more Hz the monitor had, and I hate tearing. I also don't see the need to run games at more than 60 fps.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options