Duke4.net Forums: What would you want in a new 'retro' FPS? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would you want in a new 'retro' FPS?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Let's say a new team has decided to make a new FPS IP but they want to make it in the style of a 90's FPS game, what would you want to see in it?

For me, I'd want a game to go back to having sprites for the weapons, characters, and objects. That Retroblazer game has some amazing looking sprites and stuff like Doom and Duke3D in their vanilla form still look pleasing.
The abstract yet based in real life level design is a must IMO.
Having the entire campaign work with co-op is also a big positive.
Pressing the new game button and then 5 seconds later you are already running around. I want to directly get into games.
Having some fairly long slow burn maze-like levels directly followed by fast action straight forward levels would be a great way to balance out all the key finding and maze levels.
Bodies and gibs should not disappear, ever.
Not many, if any, cut scenes/in-game sequences like in Half-Life. Cool the first time around, not so much in different playthroughs.
Jetpack
Interactive levels. Working light switches, turning computer monitors on and off, etc etc
Well hidden and not so well hidden secrets.
Secret levels that are completely different style than all the other levels (like Wolfenstein 3D)
Episodes, each one a different theme (one in Hell, one in space base, etc etc) with varying monsters. (You see more demons in later episodes and more zombies in first episode of Doom for instance)

I'd like to think of a few other modern features added in too.
I liked in Gears of War Judgment that sometimes you would come into a section of a level that needed defending. You got a few minutes to set up turrets and defenses and then you have to holdout for a while before progressing through the levels again.
Being able to customize the player. For instance, choose if your FPS hands have gloves or what skin color they are.
Having a stats page. I would love to know just how many times I fired each gun in Doom or Duke and how many times they hit and for how much overall damage, etc etc.
Fodder enemies with varying stages of life, as in, if you blow the legs off a zombie, they might crawl towards you.

For the release of the game, having a couple episodes at launch.
Later releasing brand new episodes with new enemies, weapons, and level themes, all for a cheap fair price.
Releasing stand alone levels (Like a one off level set in a circus) for free
Obviously releasing modding tools

What would you guys like or not like to see?

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 19 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Just take the Russian Overkill mod for doom and make it into a game. Half the danger in that mod is not understanding your weapons and them killing you more than the monsters. It's really exciting!

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 19 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Speed, intensity, exploration, and challenge. Secret areas, big boss fights, a combination of environment puzzles and keycard hunts. Weapons that really give you a sense of beating down the enemy. Lots of stuff to play with the environment. I want levels to be designed more like playgrounds and less like "part of a greater whole" IE: what Duke, Doom, and Quake did, only with a lot more polish and finesse.

User is offline   Lambdaism 

A Best Soundtrack that impresses the people who play the game and listen it, just like Doom's E1M1.
Btw, it would be cool if a new 'retro' FPS has MIDI soundtrack, just like old times! Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lambdaism: 20 January 2015 - 01:52 AM

- FAST running. None of this sprinting crap. I want to run scale 200 MPH and run enemies over with weapons.
- Health-packs. No recharging meter. And allow for over 100% health.
- Irreverent humor, if humor is there. Let's not scale things down for activists and pussies to not be offended. Someone should get upset.
- Map editor. So the community can carry the ball after release.
- Sprite art would be nice. I don't necessarily need 3D models.
- Allow the player to become overpowered if they find all the secrets. If I can't feel like Schwarzenegger in a steroid and crystal meth-induced frenzy, even for short bursts, they're doing it wrong.

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 20 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

View PostRunningWild, on 20 January 2015 - 01:33 PM, said:

- Irreverent humor, if humor is there. Let's not scale things down for activists and pussies to not be offended. Someone should get upset.

heheh yeah now that's funny.

I agree with all that except the running 200 mph lol do you mean like Duke on steroids ? I think that's a bit to fast for a continuous speed through a hole game.

heh It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

~60 MPH is the approximate speed you run in Doom. That would suffice. I want to move like an electrocuted cat running across velcro.

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 20 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

The way you put it in the post sounds like a great concept. I don't think I could add anything that hasn't already been said all good ideas. One thing I don't like very much is upgrading weapons to be over powered. If anything I enjoy the upgrading the appearance of weapons maybe without all the power it adds to them would be cool even if it's just for mp. For example in some fps games you upgrade your weapons so high now new players don't stand a chance untill they play enough to upgrade also but it's hard because everyone is already ahead of you.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Thoughts on projectile enemies vs hitscan enemies?

I think you can have a good mixture of both, but the hitscan enemies should be weaker. Games with medkits and no health regeneration that have almost entirely hitscan enemies is bad design IMO

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options