Duke4.net Forums: What was the first strategic game you played? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What was the first strategic game you played?

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans for me. Other RTS games I have played would be Warcraft 2, Dark Colony, Metal Fatigue, Total Annihilation amongst others.

And to respond to gt1750, are you using OpenTTD nowadays like moi? Much fun even now...

Regards,

Yickle!

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Oregon Trail.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postmsleeper, on May 15 2009, 10:11 PM, said:

Oregon Trail.

I wouldn't classify that game as a strategic one myself. :P

This post has been edited by The Commander: 15 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

User is offline   gt1750 

View PostYicklePigeon, on May 15 2009, 11:51 AM, said:

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans for me. Other RTS games I have played would be Warcraft 2, Dark Colony, Metal Fatigue, Total Annihilation amongst others.

And to respond to gt1750, are you using OpenTTD nowadays like moi? Much fun even now...

Regards,

Yickle!

Yep, OTTD. TTDPatch is pretty much obsolete now IMHO.

User is offline   Spiker 

Seems like Warcraft was the most popular at that time. I played only demo of Warcraft I and only after I completed Warcraft II.

User is offline   Jezza 

Was either C&C or TA for me.

User is offline   Jezza 

View PostSpiker, on May 9 2009, 09:10 AM, said:

Are there any good strategies nowadays? Somehow I feel they can't match with the old ones?

There's two separate projects out there trying to recreate Total Annihilation with an open source engine and 'free' graphics. One is called Spring, the other, I think is called TA3d or something. Not sure if you could count them as 'nowadays' games, but it is all that I could think of.

http://wz2100.net/

Free and open sourced. But I prefer the original release.

User is offline   Geoffrey 

Dune 2 was the first strategic game I played properly - I'm not counting demos. It was awesome, but I stopped playing when I was stuck in the final map with no hope of winning and the enemy not attacking either. I could've let it running for days and nothing would've happened.

EDIT: actually I'm pretty sure I played command and conquer before that.. but I'm not sure if it was a demo or not.

This post has been edited by Geoffrey: 17 May 2009 - 03:00 AM

User is online   Sangman 

View PostThe Commander, on May 12 2009, 10:07 AM, said:

Why don't I see any one posting Warzone 2100? :P

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gTL17BeadEI

Because it's about the FIRST strategy game you ever played. If that's really your first then wow.

View PostSangman, on May 17 2009, 11:44 PM, said:

Because it's about the FIRST strategy game you ever played. If that's really your first then wow.

I posted that because people started going on about "other" strategy games thank you very much Mr Sang troll.

User is online   Sangman 

View PostThe Commander, on May 17 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

I posted that because people started going on about "other" strategy games thank you very much Mr Sang troll.

Ah yes indeed, I missed that. That does not make me a troll, just someone who didn't read through the thread properly. Kindof funny considering I responded to the post in question myself as well. :P

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The first strategy game I saw being played was the first Warcraft and I was impressed. The first I actually played and owned was Red Alert. I never completed the Allied campaign, by the way; I got stuck in the last map. I'm still waiting for a chance to replay it but I'd need an excuse for that. Maybe when they release the two mission packs as freeware (like they did with the main game)...

User is offline   Arexx 

The first strategy game I can remember playing was Modem Wars on the Commodore 64. There may have been something else, but I don't remember anything earlier than this. This was also one of the first commercial games that was playable head to head over the modem, long before internet was around. As you can see by the name, it was all about modem play, one of the first games to be meant for head to head modem play ever. It was also incredibly stable, which was achieved by strict rules and a minimum of only 4 bytes sent over the modem per move. Very impressive game. I spent many long hours playing this against a friend. You could even record games and replay them from any point of view.

Thanks to modern emulators I was able to come up with a screenshot... :P

Attached Image: ModemWars.jpg

After that was "The Perfect General", I think I played this on my Amiga and later on my PC. It was turn based, but a lot of fun against other players.

I think on the PC, aside from The Perfect General, I played Command and Conquer, the first version as well as Warcraft 1 and later 2. I never did play Dune, wish I had, it turned out to be a kewl game, played Dune 2 and Dune 2000 later on as well ad Age of Empires 1 and 2. I loved the screens from Age of Empires 1, I had forgotten about that one, where the men in it were the same size as the buildings. :P

I don't know what it is, but the latest versions of Command and Conquer and Age of Empires are all lacking something... I think the 3D is ruining strategy games to be honest. I would love to see a new version without the 3D. I think older 2D strategy games concentrated more on the game play than graphics (due to limited graphics at the time) and that made them more fun. C&C: Red Alert 2 was probably the best, where you could combine units to make new ones, the 2D graphics were really nice, map editors were easy to use etc....

This post has been edited by Arexx: 20 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

First i tried was Dune 2, then Age of Empires... Love both games, but only own the latter :P

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostThe Commander, on May 12 2009, 11:07 AM, said:

Why don't I see any one posting Warzone 2100? :P

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gTL17BeadEI

Because it's rather new? It's good fun though.

View PostDaedolon, on May 21 2009, 08:24 PM, said:

Because it's rather new? It's good fun though.

The open source port of it is rather new, but the game it's self was released on April 10, 1999

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Warzone_2100

http://wz2100.net/

I always give the game a blast every year or so. :P

This post has been edited by The Commander: 21 May 2009 - 12:57 AM

User is offline   smithy1185 

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was my first.

User is offline   Spiker 

View Postsmithy1185, on May 21 2009, 11:01 PM, said:

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was my first.

haha probably this was the first strategy ever? wasn't it?

This post has been edited by Spiker: 21 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

Dune: The Battle for Arrakis for Sega Genesis. Awesome game. I still play it sometimes on "picodrive" a Sega CD/Genesis emulator for PSP.
I played the pc version shortly after that. And after that, I played the original Age of Empires and later the Rise of Rome expansion, and Age of Empires II.

I also played: Commandos II, Men of Courage, which I've been replaying yesterday. Excelent game, hard as heck on very hard skill though. I'm about halfway through now :).

haha probably this was the first strategy ever? wasn't it?

No, Stonkers was. But Dune 2 pobably was the first to have base building, fog of war, mining resources and upgrading/researching technologies.

This post has been edited by SkullHacker: 01 June 2009 - 05:35 AM

It's been too many years lol

User is offline   Spiker 

So? I can still remember things when I was 3 or 4 years old. And the first game you played should be something you remeber till your death! ;)

User is offline   Hellbound 

My first were Dune2 and Warcraft1

User is offline   Delekhan 

Hmm Defender of the Crown was kind of semi-strategy at times. Warcraft would be the actual first RTS I played though.

As to Modern Strategy games there are a load of them like Empire Total War, Dawn of War Series,World in Conflict though that was more of an RTT.

User is offline   necroslut 

The first Command & Conquer, though I watched more than actually playing it.
Soon afterwards I borrowed Red Alert from my cousin and played it to death. Built levels and all that.

User is offline   leilei 

Checkers

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Fantasy Empires on PC

Wiki Link:

Fantasy Empires

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Warcraft 2 - Man, I loved that game. Warcraft 3 just didn't have the guts or the fun in comparison. The necromancers and the Orcs in general were just too much fun.

Age of Empires 1 - Amazing and very polished, even for the time.

Warcraft 1 - Decided to try it out after playing 2 to death.

Age of Empires 2 - Stepped it up to another level. I still play this now. The balance and the units were just perfect. Nothing compares!

Age of Empires 3 - Took a while to take to this one. Nice graphics, but I think I prefer 2's gameplay.

Long before I played any of these, my wife was playing a game called Populus on the Amiga.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 21 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

Z was a pretty fun game as well.

User is offline   eddym4814 

View PostTea Monster, on Aug 21 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

Age of Empires 2 - Stepped it up to another level. I still play this now. The balance and the units were just perfect. Nothing compares!

I still play this one too. It's one of the first strategic games I played and still my favorite.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options