Duke4.net Forums: What was the first strategic game you played? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What was the first strategic game you played?

User is offline   Spiker 

My first one was Dune 2. It had a great gameplay although I never figured if it was possible to command more than one troop at once.

Posted Image

The second was Warcraft 2. I was amazed by it's graphics at this time, nice menus and cool unit control.

Posted Image

The next great strategy I played was Age of Empires. I remember I almost stole a CD with this game from my friend. LOL

Posted Image

User is offline   Loke 

Warcraft 2 followed by the Command & Conquer series.

User is offline   Spiker 

Yeah C&C series was good too. However I think that it's become repetetive.

User is offline   Loke 

Tiberian Sun were actually the last one I liked, grew bored after that though. Red Alert is my personal favorite.

User is offline   Kathy 

Warcraft -> Civilization -> Starcraft -> Age Of Empires. I think, I'm done playing strategies.

User is offline   Spiker 

I don't like civilization type games. Starcraft was pretty good, I played it on the multiplayer. One of the best MP games IMO.

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

Same as everyone else. Warcraft, Starcraft, civ, AoE, etc. Funny thing is I played warcraft 2 before I ever played warcraft 1.

User is offline   d3drocks 

Reader Rabbit 3.......

Spoiler

User is offline   Spiker 

Hehe, nice trick with this black line. Uhhh just remembered there once was a great game called Planet Blupi. Hope I can still find it somewhere. Maybe it wasn't a stategy but you had to think and plan a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Favorite RTS is Dune2000. amazing ost.

User is offline   Sangman 

Age of Empires 2.. That is, if I take the "Strategy" part of the genre name with A TON of salt.

User is offline   Dave-ros 

First one I ever played was something on the PC, of which my classmate had only a demo, that was C&C-style but turn-based. All I remember is that it was mainly vehicles, including cool armoured bikes...

The first game I played regularly was Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds, a little-known 1998 game that had numerous bugs and predated 3D hardware... but I loved it :rolleyes:

User is offline   laffer 

I can't remember exactly.

It was one out of these -

Civilization
Dune 2
Oil Imperium (I think this might have been it)

Or maybe Nuclear War... hmmm.

WarCraft 2 was my first one.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Started with WarCraft: Orcs & Humans which was on a shareware CD (rip 3DR :rolleyes:), obviously got into WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness when it was released and I played alot of C&C (the first, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun) at their particular times. Those plus AoE2 are pretty much the only RTSes I ever play.

User is offline   Superczar 

Dune 2 for me, though only for a few minutes IIRC. I think Dune2k was the first actual one I played, though it may have been the older 1997 (IIRC) Axis & Allies before that.

User is offline   John 

• Residential Hippie

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans.

User is offline   Jinroh 

I think it was That DOS Capture the flag game.

User is offline   Spiker 

Are there any good strategies nowadays? Somehow I feel they can't match with the old ones?

User is offline   Sangman 

Meh, the most recent RTS I've played was Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3. Didn't like it that much. I guess I'm just getting bored of the core gameplay of any RTS.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

View PostSpiker, on May 9 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

Are there any good strategies nowadays? Somehow I feel they can't match with the old ones?

Men of War
Company of Heroes + expansions
Dawn of War (2) +expansions
Total War -series

Yeah, I played Warcraft, then Warcraft 2 and Command & Conquer. Moving from there to Total Annihilation, Starcraft, Dune 2000. Nowdays mostly Company of Heroes, Starcraft, Total War(Medieval II), Men of War. Waiting for Starcraft 2.

User is offline   John 

• Residential Hippie

I always liked Rise Of Nations alot aswell, even if they haven't done anything with it in years. One of my favorite RTS games.

User is offline   Spiker 

I never heard of these games. The only one I'm familiar with is Total War series. But it reminds me of civilization somehow LOL. And I'n not convinced by these 3d battles.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 09 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

Don't know if it's classified as strategic but it sure as hell requires a lot of strategy and planning.
Commandos 1, 2 and 3. All of em are great. ;)
hard as hell btw

Those are TACTICAL games.

http://en.wikipedia....al-time_tactics is that genre. There are also Turn Based Tactics games.

Total War games are turn-based strategy for the resource management, with real-time tactical battles.

Masters of Orion I and II
They're turn based. Great space civilization style games.

Speaking of which. There's an open source or freeware based Orion game in the works by some people. FreeOrion. It's still in pretty early alpha and it's taking forever but it's pretty promising.

User is offline   gt1750 

Transport Tycoon followed by TT Deluxe ;)

I still play it to this day though not as much as before.

Posted Image

User is offline   Delicieuxz 

I'm thinking it was probably one of the Sim series of games for me (if those count), and probably on a school computer. I think Sim City 2000 was probably the first strategy-type game I purchased, with Warcraft 2 being the first rts game that I purchased.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Why don't I see any one posting Warzone 2100? ;)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gTL17BeadEI

This post has been edited by The Commander: 12 May 2009 - 12:09 AM

User is offline   ryche 

Warcraft 2 was my first strategic game. My parents though didn't like it at first until my dad looked into it more. They were still under that whole D&D was bad thing...and honestly they didn't think I could take it. Kinda fucked up but whatever.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options