Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Saturn prototype - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Saturn prototype  "anyone interested in testing it out?"

User is offline   nukemania 

For those unaware, a pre-release build of Duke Nukem 3D for Saturn was released online a few years ago. I've wanted to play it for quite a while, but always lacked free time; now I just tried it and found out my PC sucks for Saturn emulation. The proto has a date of September 18, 1997, which is approximately 1 month before release. So it may have little to no differences. Still, it's always nice to verify that. Is there anyone willing to give this prototype a run and looking into it? You'd need a modded Saturn unit, or you can use the swap disc method (and it's probably better to play it on the actual hardware than emulators, anyway). Of course, knowing about the final release would really help, but is not necessary.

I've received permission to create this thread.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Contact me via PM if you want to try this prototype on real hardware and you cannot acquire it.

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

Hey if it's fine with you I would absolutely love to test this out for you too. I have a modded Sega Saturn capable of playing CD-Rs and I'm a HUGE fan of Duke Nukem 3D on the Saturn. This would be a dream come true for me.

I beat the game literally 8 times last year and had a blast everytime. Thank you for your time!

This post has been edited by Grounder: 03 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I just did some quick file size/date comparisons. A few levels may have very slight differences, i.e. misaligned textures and shit. I'll try to take a look at some of the changed levels tomorrow when I'm more alert.

There is very, very little difference between the two. I made a gallery that highlights the differences.

http://imgur.com/umc...a5ie60y,eVUNtJy

Here is the content of the text files:

NITS_ABS.TXT

Abstracted by none.

NITS_BIB.TXT

Bibliographiced by none.

NITS_CPY.TXT

Copyright 3D Realms 1996,1997.

This post has been edited by BREAKINGTHELAYOUT ISACRIME: 03 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I managed to run the Saturn version a while ago, but I never got interested in beating it. I ripped a few textures, but I don't really like the artwork from it.

On emulation I take it? My console is chipped.

I hate to say this but it resembles the full retail game. Save games from the full version work, cheat codes work, and Death Tank is available.

I feel kind of bad for asking for this version as I may not be very qualified to point out technical details. I am happy and thankful I got to try it though!!! I'll pay more attention to possible misaligned textures or any differences after playing some more.

Edit: The maps that were modified later for the final version: Red Light District (9-25-97), Death Row (10-1-97 8:11 AM), Spaceport (10-1-97 8:57 AM), Rabid Transit (10-1-97 9:11 AM), and Warp Factor (10-3-97) somehow seem to be identical. I didn't notice anything really different unfortunately. I hope somebody else can.

This post has been edited by Grounder: 04 January 2015 - 12:54 AM

A little off-topic: speaking of death tank, did you ever get it to unlock by destroying all of the toilets and urinals in the game's levels, Grounder? In the full retail game, I mean.

View Postnukemania, on 04 January 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

A little off-topic: speaking of death tank, did you ever get it to unlock by destroying all of the toilets and urinals in the game's levels, Grounder? In the full retail game, I mean.

Yeah, I used the level select code and picked all the levels with toilets in order. Crazy how I used to memorize all the toilets. :)

I'll need to try it that way. I've played through the game a few times before, smashing all the toilets I could find and the mini-game never appears in the main menu. After you destroy all of them that way, you just quit the game and the option will be available in the main menu?

View Postnukemania, on 04 January 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'll need to try it that way. I've played through the game a few times before, smashing all the toilets I could find and the mini-game never appears in the main menu. After you destroy all of them that way, you just quit the game and the option will be available in the main menu?

It should be at the main menu right under the options. Make sure you destroy the toilets in the new area of the level Fahrenheit - think you gotta destroy all in Urea 51 also.

I should see if it works with the Action Replay Plus 4M...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options