Duke4.net Forums: Killing Time - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Killing Time

User is offline   Lunick 

Anyone ever play this game? I've seen bits of it but it has never really captured my attention.

Posted Image

Night Dive might be preparing to rerelease it...

Also I bet Daedolon likes this game too

This post has been edited by Lunick: 31 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

I'm interested in seeing how they plan to get the game working smoothly on modern systems. Since it's a Windows title, there's no DOSBox to fall back on, and a quick search reveals some pretty gross hacks needed to get the game running in Windows 7.

And as this is yet another re-release that I own in its original disc form, I shall again attempt to surreptitiously fool the publishers into giving me a free key for already owning the game. My attempt with Strife failed, but I remain undaunted!

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 01 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

I'd love to pick up a box for this one because it actually looks pretty sweet in the photo Night Dive posted.

I also did some searching of my own to get it running on newer operating systems and it didn't look pretty at all...

User is online   zykov eddy 

A masterpiece. The best 3DO game & one of the best FPS games of the era. Worth buying 3DO just to play this game.

The PC version... Not so great, actually. I prefer the 3DO version. You can play it on 4DO emulator, I tested it and it works fine.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 01 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

User is offline   Darkus 

Ah yes, Killing Time, I still own the original CD... What can I say about this game? It was one of my favorites.

I'm sure the game uses a modifed version of the Doom engine (monsters who kill each other on friendly fire...). The engine is also able to play AVI files directly into the game, which reinforces the atmosphere.
But the thing I liked the most is the game is non-linear, instead of progressing through levels, you'll have to explore a huge map (there are several maps in fact, which are interconnected like Half-Life)

I remember that to get access to the manor, you need an invitation wich is located in the hunter's cabin.

After you get the invitation, you can go back to the mansion, or continue exploring the outskirts of the cabin.

I just regret that there was no way to make it work properly on today's machines, or even have some tools to get the game's ressources properly.

More screenshots: http://www.mobygames...ime/screenshots

View Postzykov eddy, on 01 January 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

A masterpiece. The best 3DO game & one of the best FPS games of the era. Worth buying 3DO just to play this game.

The PC version... Not so great, actually. I prefer the 3DO version. You can play it on 4DO emulator, I tested it and it works fine.

Never played the 3DO version actually... I think I should give a try on emulator.
Oh and Eddy, I remember also you put some Killing Time musics in your mods :)

This post has been edited by Darkus: 01 January 2015 - 06:31 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

I played the PC Version back when it came out when someone gave me a CD Rom for it. Killing Time has been in my list and searches for years as I look for a boxed PC and 3DO versions. I still have the PC CD bare and some years ago I bought the MAC version from eBay just to have the Box Art on the shelf. Seeing this thread caused me to follow up and just buy both the big-boxed PC and 3DO versions of the game to add to my collection.

My memories of the PC version are very positive. There were some things that bothered me about the game-play which I can't remember, but what I DO remember is the reasonable following of a story. DooM, Quake, Duke and the others I was playing at the time had a lot less story, although I did apply my own story to each of the games I played. Killing Time didn't need my own story really is what I mean.

I will re-play it on the 3DO when it arrives and see how it stands up against nostalgia and my own memories. :)

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

A lovely game I played a bit as a kid, but never could get a hold of properly. For some reason it's like they only made three copies of the game for the PC.

I dunno what's up with Night Dive katamaring(sp?) most, if not all, of my childhood games, but if they're releasing it, I'll finally finish it one day.

User is offline   Lunick 

Well it seems they are following Marphy Black https://www.facebook...523291311146294

User is offline   Tristan885 

I played both versions of the game. This is one of my favorite game that I would sometimes replay again often.
Two months ago, I was streaming it on Twitch for 5 hours, a full run of the game.

If Night Dive would re-release it on Steam, I would get it the same day it get re-released. :P

Talking about the PC version, I have hunted some secrets and made videos for each of them.

This one is very easy since it's right next to a key you need to pick up in the sewer.

Killing Time PC - Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
The wall texture to see it carefully.
Pressing use on it will summon a group of those sewer monster.

This other one is really for peoples that get used to press use everywhere on any walls. :) (Thanks to one of my friend on Facebook that shown me that secret)

Killing Time PC - Developers Pictures Room?
I always wondered this one if those pictures are actually the developers. I had ripped every textures of the PC version and found those pictures.
KT Dev Pics Textures
Each picture in-game would give you either a monster, a red orb or some goodies.

View PostLunick, on 07 January 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

Well it seems they are following Marphy Black https://www.facebook...523291311146294

If Night Dive is interested in dealing with a crazy cult, I personally vote for Exploding Lips. Perhaps it will lead to a renaissance release of GODD Games' other titles on Steam such as the illustrious Fartbomb or perhaps a PC port of the famed Zombie Jamboree!

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 07 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I love bumping old threads https://www.gog.com/game/killing_time

However, in the intervening years, the circumstances of the re-release changed. This is no longer from Night Dive, and according to their AMA, they had been planning a remastered release as they have the source code.

Does anyone know if this GOG version is using an updated source port? Without checking it out myself, I couldn't find any clear indication of such, but I noticed Heineman commented on it not too long ago. Did she indeed remaster this release?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

"In 2015 we’ve also partnered with Night Dive Studios to bring even great games to Retroism fans like Wizardry, Strife, 7th Guest, The 11th Hour and more."

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

>GoG

User is offline   cybdmn 

Nice. But they should have port the 3DO version to the PC, which is the far superior version of that game. The PC/Mac version can't compete.

User is offline   MetHy 

Check at 19:00

Apparently Killing Time was supposed to be getting a Saturn version

User is offline   neznam 

View Postcybdmn, on 15 November 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

Nice. But they should have port the 3DO version to the PC, which is the far superior version of that game. The PC/Mac version can't compete.

The 3DO version is more visually appealing but the PC/Mac version is more expansive and lifelike.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options