• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Facebook  "Time to sever the cord."

User is offline   Wienerhole 

• Only A Man

View PostNever Forgotten, on 27 August 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

But they can't know what you don't give them. If you want to stay extremely private you have two options; don't join, or put fake information. I had another account a while back and it was 100% fake. Not my real city/name or anything. They can't get any information you don't give them.

Your IP (yes the real one) and location and time/date habits, your username/password patterns, whatever is captured from any microphones/cameras including stuff in the background, your system information, the patterns you use to generate fake information which can be used to develop a surprisingly accurate model of your thinking processes, etc.

The people/robots skulking around eavesdropping on your fakery are not limited to your level of cleverness of what's possible.

Or keep thinking you are more clever than an entire industry of people in the business of being more clever than you.

This post has been edited by Wienerholder: 27 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Even outside of Facebook:
Based on my buying habits, even though I have no account with them, Target prints coupons relevant to things I've purchased.
They've sent mailers to people about baby merch (correctly so) just based on the changes in purchasing habits.
Additionally stores tend to keep wireless transmitters scattered throughout the store and keep track of every device that pings them including where the device is in the store, how long it's at a given location, etc. This lets them track individual shoppers and how they move throughout the store.

Do you know how Facebook can tell certain things you do? Tracking Cookies, which can be removed with anti-virus, or clearing your history out. And with stores, isn't it kind of a good thing? I mean it improves the shopping experience if they send you coupons to things that you probably need. It's not sinister, it's just that they're trying to help you. And I just don't see the big deal, it's not like they're going to come to your house and slaughter your kin.

• Only A Man

View PostNever Forgotten, on 27 August 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

Do you know how Facebook can tell certain things you do? Tracking Cookies, which can be removed with anti-virus, or clearing your history out.

"Well NSA operative #2... we're fucked."
"Why?"
"He disabled cookies and cleared his history."
"NOOOOOOOOO!"

In walks Donald Trump.

"You're both fired."

View PostNever Forgotten, on 27 August 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

...it's not like they're going to come to your house and slaughter your kin.

No... these days they come through your screen and slaughter your kin's minds.

If your capacity for self directed critical thought had been clipped like a bird's wings... would you know?

• Evil Overlord

They're not trying to help me, they're trying to make money and there's a big difference.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Facebook has a billion users in a single day, says Mark Zuckerberg

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-34082393

"The "milestone" was reached on Monday, when "1 in 7 people on Earth used Facebook to connect with their friends and family", he said in a post."

"Sure, the US, Europe and India are almost at peak Facebook. But there are huge gaps - Africa, much of Asia, some of Latin America. That's where Facebook is focused on now."

It's like watching a wolf in sheep's clothing mature..

This post has been edited by Robman: 27 August 2015 - 07:23 PM

User is online   Mark 

Excuse me while I put on my tinfoil hat.......

The slippery slope of political correctness and willingness of the people to accept the "nanny state" will lead to warnings that you are no longer allowed to buy certain things based on the latest assesment of the government's database of your health. Mr. Jones, this is your 4th bag of potato chips this month. You have reached your limit until September 12th. Stores will be in forced compliance to issue these warnings at the checkout lanes or face fines. If we stay on our present course I see this within the next 10-15 years. It will start out innocently as a friendly reminder along with an offer for a discount on veggies instead. Later it will deny you your potato chips.

OK, hat removed... Robman mode disabled. :D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bus.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 27 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMark., on 27 August 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

OK, hat removed... Robman mode disabled. :D

I'm blushing :D ... Robman mode is THEE mode.

Mr. Jones - You've used your limit of electricity for the month, you've been throttled and are at risk of disconnection until the new billing period.

Mr. Jones - You've reached your limit of miles traveled for the month.. yadda.

Mr. Jones - You've reached your limit of health credits for the month... yadda.

Mr. Jones - You've reached the limit of your useful age - please report to the compound for termination, your family has been notified.

This post has been edited by Robman: 27 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

User is online   Mark 

Gee, is it 1984 already? My how the time flys. Pass the Soylent Green please.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 27 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

• Only A Man

Whoever came up with "People who bought X also bought Y" for population herding purposes deserves some credit.

Pardon me, but I seem to have vomited up some contempt.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

The articles are coming fast these days, seems up here in Canada things are getting worse.
The Supreme Court of Canada said last year that police need a warrant to get peoples online info. The police are trying to get around it now.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...s-say-1.3201821

"Rogers Communications, for one, saw a sharp drop in the number of requests for customer information from government and police agencies last year.
Rogers received fewer than 114,000 such requests for subscriber information in 2014, down from almost 175,000 the previous year, the company said in its annual transparency report, issued in April."

Meaning they were abusing their use of snooping until last year when the Supreme Court ruled that they need a warrant, that only applies to the police keep in mind we still have the equivalent of the NSA doing their snooping at will.

- Damnit Mark, your "Throwing me under the bus" image has already been downloaded 3 times...erm 10 times.
I'm trying to pull people out of the bus' path! :D

Your contempt is justified, Sir HolderOfWieners.

This here article is the Huffington Post, but apparently the former head of the CSEC (Canada's NSA) John Adams called Canadians "stupid" for posting too much personal info online.

http://www.huffingto..._n_5419381.html

"One half is stupid, and the other half is stupid," Adams said about how Canadians are perceived. "I can confirm that. We put more online, [on] Facebook, than any other country in the world."
"Adams, who ran CSEC from 2005 until 2011, made the comments at a meeting of Senate Liberals gathered to discuss Bill C-220. The legislation, which Adams supports, would establish a Parliamentary committee to oversee Canada's expanding surveillance state."

"By law, CSEC is not supposed to monitor the communications of Canadians. But the agency has acknowledged this year that it sometimes "incidentally" spies on citizens while targeting foreign entities. CSEC seems to have maneuvered around the legal requirement via a special, and secret, order from the Minister of National Defence."

This post has been edited by Robman: 27 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

• Evil Overlord

Personally I'm less worried about the elusive "big brother" and just generally about both "big data", personally tailored media, and micro transactions. If you read a lot of Philip K Dick you'll see some good examples of it all. Read around Chapter 3 (iirc) of Ubik for some obvious ones.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMblackwell, on 27 August 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

Personally I'm less worried about the elusive "big brother" and just generally about both "big data", personally tailored media, and micro transactions. If you read a lot of Philip K Dick you'll see some good examples of it all. Read around Chapter 3 (iirc) of Ubik for some obvious ones.

I'm personally afraid it goes much deeper than just trying to sell you stuff and or/ keep you "safe."
Keep in mind, we're gonna have advanced Ai soon, couple that with autonomous drones.

Should make an Ai thread.. I think I will.

This post has been edited by Robman: 27 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

• Evil Overlord

I don't necessarily think the government is involved as "the government" (directly) rather it's sociopathic corporate entities influencing both public policy and opinion slowly over the long term. I don't even necessarily think that it's anything particularly organized most of the time. Chaos theory and all of that, and the inability for people to see the bigger picture of their actions or the actions of those around them.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark., on 27 August 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

Mr. Jones, this is your 4th bag of potato chips this month. You have reached your limit until September 12th.

What was the name of that story again?

Shit was crazy. I don't remember the details; It was like a huge catch 22. You have to go to the doctor, but you've used up all your allocated doctor visits, etc., etc., etc.

View PostWienerholder, on 27 August 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

"Well NSA operative #2... we're fucked."
"Why?"
"He disabled cookies and cleared his history."
"NOOOOOOOOO!"

That's different. I am 100% okay with the NSA spying on everything anyone does. We don't need another 9/11, and if that is what prevents it then so be it. And help/make money, what's the difference? They help us, so we help them. What's the point of complaining about it if there's nothing you can do about it? I mean really, this thread is at least 90% pointless...

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostNever Forgotten, on 28 August 2015 - 12:25 AM, said:

That's different. I am 100% okay with the NSA spying on everything anyone does. We don't need another 9/11, and if that is what prevents it then so be it. And help/make money, what's the difference? They help us, so we help them. What's the point of complaining about it if there's nothing you can do about it? I mean really, this thread is at least 90% pointless...

It seems that you are precisely what they want you to be. In time, this thread might make sense to you.. for now, of course it won't.

• Only A Man

I mean really, this thread is at least 90% pointless...

Calculus is pointless to some people.

That's different. I am 100% okay with the NSA spying on everything anyone does.

I am too, but probably for different reasons than you. I'm looking forward to a giant worldwide version of the AOL search log leak of all the data the intelligence agencies have been collecting. It would be epic.

We don't need another 9/11,

Prove it.

...and if that is what prevents it then so be it.

Right... because when I pay a person or organization to do something and they repeatedly fail... the rational response is to pay them more and give them more responsibility without asking for any explanation for their failure.

And help/make money, what's the difference? They help us, so we help them.

Here is how scam artists work. They give you something of low value in an effort to get you to give away something of higher value.

You are giving away your ability to function without being pointed in a direction.

This post has been edited by Wienerholder: 28 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

NSA phone data collection 'not illegal', US court rules

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-34091702

The new measures are not due to take effect until December.

The new law requires telecoms companies to store data, instead of US intelligence agencies, and to hand over any information in response to a government request approved by a secret counter-terror court.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
Ask yourselves, despite public outcry this shit still continues and "finds a way."
Oh yeah.. the public "tax payers" fund the government. They work for us. Do they really though?

There should come a time where the public truly realizes their gov is out of their control. Should have been long ago.

This post has been edited by Robman: 29 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

The US Government is far beyond our control and is its own entity... like all others throughout history. It has not represented the will of the people in decades. We get to pick the colors on a few things, but are not allowed to have input on anything that matters or that could produce change. Force, and fear of force, is the only thing that produce change in people who are no longer having to be self sufficient.
When people are self sufficient, they need very little government... and quite frankly, governments don't need those kinds of people.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 29 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Facebook, Twitter Crack Down on Hate Speech
Facebook Signs European Union Pledge To Suppress Loosely Defined ‘Hate Speech’ And Promote ‘Counter Narratives’

Facebook uses AI to understand text-based posts

Tenants irked after apartment firm demanded Facebook 'likes'

Facebook 'listening' claim denied by professor

Facebook pushes mobile users to Messenger app

Zuckerberg's social media accounts targeted by hackers

Facebook copy briefly surfaces in North Korea

Facebook Messenger adds diverse emojis including icons for professional women

This post has been edited by Robman: 06 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

User is offline   Hank 

you forgot
Facebook becomes China's tool

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

and
Facebook’s Messenger App Has More Spyware Than Products Designed Specifically For Surveillance

This post has been edited by Forge: 06 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options