• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Malgon 

In sort of related news, the title for the first SW movie off-shoot (i.e. non-numbered title) is called Star Wars: Rogue One, detailing a group who set out on a mission to steal the first Death Star plans. The release for this is meant to slot in mid-December 2016.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMalgon, on 20 April 2015 - 12:54 AM, said:

(i.e. non-numbered title)

The Force Awakens is not numbered. I suppose you mean it's set parallel to the main continuity.

User is offline   X-Vector 

http://www.pcpowerpl...rs-canon,402907

Screw you, Mickey.
It'll always be Kyle Katarn to me.

Posted Image

"This is too easy. Now to get to my ship."

This post has been edited by X-Vector: 20 April 2015 - 02:26 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostX-Vector, on 20 April 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

Screw you, Mickey.

:D That's so lame, that was always on of my favorite plot points. Most significant first mission objective ever.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostJinroh, on 20 April 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

:D That's so lame, that was always on of my favorite plot points. Most significant first mission objective ever.

"Kyle delivers the plans to the Rebel Alliance. Soon afterwards, the Death Star is destroyed."

Yep, you can't get more significant than that, really. It makes watching the original Star Wars that much more intriguing, watching that scene where they're going over the schematics of the Death Star, and realizing what it took for them to get it.

View PostFox, on 19 April 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

Posted Image

I always suspected that Costanzas was a Sith.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 20 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostFox, on 20 April 2015 - 01:28 AM, said:

The Force Awakens is not numbered. I suppose you mean it's set parallel to the main continuity.

Yeah, it does seem that a lot of the marketing stuff doesn't actually appear to refer to it as Episode VII, but essentially it is filling that role, as opposed to Rogue One which won't be filling a main 'numbered' movie slot e.g. Episode VIII. Hope that makes sense as to what I meant by 'numbered'.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostX-Vector, on 20 April 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

http://www.pcpowerpl...rs-canon,402907

Screw you, Mickey.

Posted Image

"This is too easy. Now to get to my ship."

View PostJinroh, on 20 April 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

View PostComrade Major, on 20 April 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

"Kyle delivers the plans to the Rebel Alliance. Soon afterwards, the Death Star is destroyed."

Yep, you can't get more significant than that, really. It makes watching the original Star Wars that much more intriguing, watching that scene where they're going over the schematics of the Death Star, and realizing what it took for them to get it.

Dark Forces was just amazing to me at the time. Being a thorough explorer type, I spent probably a couple of hours per level going through that game and enjoying the scenery of the Star Wars Universe. Realizing WHY the mine had deflective walls etc. The game had/gave reason/purpose beyond DooM and other FPS's of the time. As Comrade Major said, because it adds back-story to the original movies, its meaning was more substantial than most other types of spin-offs and such.
Now when I watch the movie and all that is stated is how so many died to get the plans, those few seconds in the movie are filled in my mind with probably 20 hours of game play and back-story. Excellent!

I got this same effect from playing both of the Grand Theft Auto "Stories" games as well. I wish there had been more of those, and there was plenty of room for them in those games.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 20 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 20 April 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Dark Forces was just amazing to me at the time. Being a thorough explorer type, I spent probably a couple of hours per level going through that game and enjoying the scenery of the Star Wars Universe. Realizing WHY the mine had deflective walls etc. The game had/gave reason/purpose beyond DooM and other FPS's of the time. As Comrade Major said, because it adds back-story to the original movies, its meaning was more substantial than most other types of spin-offs and such.
Now when I watch the movie and all that is stated is how so many died to get the plans, those few seconds in the movie are filled in my mind with probably 20 hours of game play and back-story. Excellent!

I got this same effect from playing both of the Grand Theft Auto "Stories" games as well. I wish there had been more of those, and there was plenty of room for them in those games.

MrBlackCat

Very much agreed to both you. The whole game, story driven missions, cutscenes, and its attention to detail was mind blowing to me at the time. I had played Rebel Assault which was ok, but Dark Forces was a real Star Wars game IMO. Randomly walking through a level and TIE fighters flying past was awesome!

I also come back to it when I watch ANH really fills things in well.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Soooo this thread didn't get much attention. I'll just bump it here...

I loved it. I take back all my misgivings about it earlier in this thread. The crossguard saber has really grown on me, I love the characters, I love the story (if a little too reminiscent of ANH), and it was just great fun. Great comedic moments that never missed a beat. Ford stole the show and he was great, yet all the new characters had their space to breathe and really grew on me too. I saw it three times in two weeks from the moment it came out. Got myself preordered tickets and we got to go in first after waiting outside in the cold for a while thinking we wouldn't get any seats. Great times. Great ride. It felt new and fresh and a lot like the OT at the same time while successfully purging everything that was bad about the prequels. Can't wait until May when it comes out on video and I can't wait until Dec 2017 for Ep8! Oh, and Rogue One.

User is offline   LkMax 

The movie is lazy shit and everyone that went to see it more then once is just encouraging Disney to do lazy shit.

Spoiler

THE EFFECTS: WOW!

THE MOVIE: UUUUUUGH...

The force awakens, the brain sleeps. And you don't do good dreams (If you still have them).

• The Sarien Encounter

Sorry, I loved it. It's not without issues. I don't think it's flawless, but I don't think it's lazy either. Like I said it copied ANH too much, but I like where it's going and I like that it didn't try to be larger than life. It was just enjoyable. It just did what it did right and never tried to be the second coming. And I loved the saber battles; rough and visceral. I loved that it wasn't practiced and a spectacle. The prequels went overboard with that. TPM had great battles, but AOTC and ROTS just went way way overboard. This was a great alternative. It's not better than the OT (so far), but it's way better than the that medichlorien mess.

Which reminds me, I love how they reverted to the Force being a supernatural thing and not a scientific thing.

Spoiler

Also, the practical effects! Way to go, JJ! Over half the things you see on screen are all practical effects and not CGI (besides the space ships). Even the lightsabers for once use actual (and fanmade) Hyperdyne LED-lit blades so that the glow shows on the characters and the surroundings with the traditional lightsaber effect rotoscoped on top for double the effect. BB-8, the alien who tried to capture him riding that other alien, and tons of other onscreen things were all puppetry and mechanical. What a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, I loved it. Good job, Disney. Waiting for EPVIII to raise the bar. I don't think this new trilogy will be better than the OT, nor do I think it has to. It just has to be better than the prequels, which it already is because George is no where to be seen. Hatters gonna hate. This movie was great.

User is offline   LkMax 

It's not lazy? It's not lazy?
Ok, lets take a quick look at the story so far, tell me from which Episode is this plot:

The film begins with the antagonist organization (Empire / First Order) Carrying out an attack against the protagonist forces (rebels / resistance). The attack is successful and inflict several casualties of the protagonist forces. A key figure of the protagonist faction is captured and taken to the antagonist prison. The captured key figure has vital information that both protagonists and antagonists want to recover. The main villain, a figure that has great power on the Force and wears a suit with black mask, interrogate this key figure about the information.

This information is on the memory of a small robot that manages to escape at the beginning of the film in a desert planet. The robot refuses to give this information easily. One of the protagonists, a very force sensitive person ("the chosen" of the movie) meets this robot and ends up helping him in the course of the film. The chosen meets the smuggler Han Solo that is indebted to (at least one) criminal organization. One (or more than one) representative of the criminal organization died before he could take Han Solo.

Later, a key person of the movie is rescued from some gigantic space station (the size of a moon / planet) that has an extremely powerful weapon capable of destroying entire planets. with the help of a young guy, Chewbaca and Han Solo - although initially Han had other intentions, the idea of the rescue was from the young man (Luke / Finn). Small curiosity: the young man (Luke / Finn) is attracted by the person that was rescued (Leia / Rey). Back to the plot: before they escape the space station, a person, who the chosen one has great respect for, is killed by the black mask villain, once friend of the person killed I might add.

At the end of the film several fighters of the protagonist faction are attacking the giant space station, moments before it is fully charged for a new discharge (The station needed to recharge after exploding another planet). After several casualties, both from the protagonist and the antagonists, the fighters can reach a vulnerable spot and destroy the entire space station. A desperate victory for the protagonists (rebels / resistance), but the black mask villain escapes.

That's plagiarism, yes that IS fucking lazy and if it hadn't the "Star Wars" name on it everyone would call it a cheap knock off of Episode IV, but since it has the "Star Wars" title and there's no Jar Jar Binks most fans say WOW, MUCH GOOD, SUCH NOT PREQUEL, WOW.
And worse, they put that shitty emo kid with shitty motivation as the main villain? OMG DAD, I WANT TO BE LIKE GRANDADDY VADER, NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME! *sobs*
AW COME ON! Duke Nukem has better story than this. Hell, the prequel trilogy had better story (and I'm not being sarcastic).

But that's not all. How the hell the remnants of the Galactic Empire managed to build a station 5 times bigger then the one the Empire built when it was at it's peak, controlling the entire galaxy? How come the new republic (or whatever retarded government was in place) didn't stop them from building another space nuke? (seriously, no one can build a friggin Deathstar without being noticed). Why didn't they send their entire fleet instead of relying on ragtag fighters? (remember when the rebels destroyed the second Deathstar before it even being completed?) And why build a new Deathstar at all if it just as easly to explode as the last 2 (third time is the charm I guess).

And Luke, why play hide-and-seek and leave a map of his location? That defeats the entire purpuse of the game (hehehe). Also, how eccentric of him, chilling on those Islands and waiting for people to seek him. At least Luke's lines where the best part of the movie dialog.

I can't Wait for Episode VIII: The First Order Strikes Back. Man, I bet it'll have some sick twists.

PS: Here's the only good thing that came from the new trilogy so far.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 02 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostLkMax, on 02 February 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

But that's not all. How the hell the remnants of the Galactic Empire managed to build a station 5 times bigger then the one the Empire built when it was at it's peak, controlling the entire galaxy?

Why shouldn't it? The series never suggested the Empire had budget issues or anything to build a Death Star. Besides the Starkiller uses the energy from a star to recharge, so it cannot move anywhere like a Death Star.

How come the new republic (or whatever retarded government was in place) didn't stop them from building another space nuke? (seriously, no one can build a friggin Deathstar without being noticed).

They are in space, it's unlikely someone would just pass by.

Why didn't they send their entire fleet instead of relying on ragtag fighters? (remember when the rebels destroyed the second Deathstar before it even being completed?) And why build a new Deathstar at all if it just as easly to explode as the last 2 (third time is the charm I guess).

It takes time to move across space, and they had to do it before the Starkiller recharged. And the Republic planets it annihilated may be crucial to the government, delaying any action.

And Luke, why play hide-and-seek and leave a map of his location? That defeats the entire purpuse of the game (hehehe).

We don't know the reasoning behind Luke actions yet.

Also, how eccentric of him, chilling on those Islands and waiting for people to seek him. At least Luke's lines where the best part of the movie dialog.

Not like Luke had the power to sense people approaching, right?

I can't Wait for Episode VIII: The First Order Strikes Back. Man, I bet it'll have some sick twists.

Yeah.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostFox, on 02 February 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

Why shouldn't it? The series never suggested the Empire had budget issues or anything to build a Death Star. Besides the Starkiller uses the energy from a star to recharge, so it cannot move anywhere like a Death Star.

The EMPIRE shouldn't have budget issues yet it only built Deathstars 5 times smaller then the Starkiller. The First Order is not the Empire, it should be significantly weaker and have less resources since it does not control the entire galaxy, yet it built a much bigger weapon.

They are in space, it's unlikely someone would just pass by.

And where did they took the vast amount of materials? No one had investigations to know what the trillions of kilotons of metal where being relocated for?
Besides, if the rebels can find the Empire Deathstar, the New Republic should find one built by the weaker First Order much easier.

It takes time to move across space, and they had to do it before the Starkiller recharged. And the Republic planets it annihilated may be crucial to the government, delaying any action.

I said they should have done that before the weapon was even built, not after it fired.

Not like Luke had the power to sense people approaching, right?

The point was there having a map of his location at all. If he wanted to be found he could just, you know, contact the republic...

This post has been edited by LkMax: 02 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostLkMax, on 02 February 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

The EMPIRE shouldn't have budget issues yet it only built Deathstars 5 times smaller then the Starkiller. The First Order is not the Empire, it should be significantly weaker and have less resources since it does not control the entire galaxy, yet it built a much bigger weapon.

It's not of relevancy that the First Order had a bigger toy. There are many possibly explanations for it:
- It could only be a matter of politics.
- The First Order may be more desperate for a weapon of mass destruction than the Empire.
- They may not had the technology to absorb the energy of a sun 30 years ago.
- The Starkiller may not necessarily demand more resources to build than a Death Star since it's integrated to a planet, while a Death Star was made from scratch.
- They have different functions. A Death Star can move anywhere, while a Starkiller can destroy multiple planets at once.
- The Empire may had plans to build something like the Starkiller, but it took decades to finish.

And where did they took the vast amount of materials? No one had investigations to know what the trillions of kilotons of metal where being relocated for?

It's not out of ordinary for an army that use Star Destroyers.

Besides, if the rebels can find the Empire Deathstar two times, the New Republic should find one built by the weaker First Order much easier.

The opening crawl mentions the Death Star II was being constructed "secretly". I don't remember it being specific in the movie how they found about it.

The point was there having a map of his location at all. If he wanted to be found he could just, you know, contact the republic...

Luke was only in the movie for 5 seconds. I think you should wait for the next one.

This post has been edited by Fox: 02 February 2016 - 11:04 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

First of all, it was not a map to Luke Skywalker and he didn't leave it behind. It was a map to the first Jedi temple where "the people who knew him best" THOUGHT he might have went. It wasn't for sure, it was their best guess. And it took time for them (R2) to figure out where exactly it was because Luke DIDN'T want to be found and picked a spot that he would least expect people to find him. Why or how that old guy from the beginning had a piece of this could be explained a hundred different ways without Luke leaving a trail.

Actually, it's been officially confirmed that Starkiller Base COULD move. Otherwise it would pretty much just be a one-shot weapon seeing as it only works when it swallows up a whole star at one time. And they were fixing to fire it a second time, meaning they must have already moved it once.

This is Star Wars. It has never had to take the time to explain meaningless minutia like politics, budgets, or origins of their technology to make the incredible spectacles we see with anything more than a footnote here or a casual comment there. That's not what Star Wars is about. That's what Star Trek is about. As cool as that is, it's not what I expect from Star Wars as it's never had to do that. Heck, the one time they DID try to give us a bit more than we asked for in this area was with all the political nonsense surrounding the prequels, which were necessary to tell the story but were not well received by fans AT ALL. Can't blame them for not even mentioning "key plot points" like where the First Order got their money or technology or the specifics and goings on of the New Republic senate or why they moved from Coruscant to the Hosnian system. More information is welcome for sure and I'm sure we'll see it later, but I don't expect it to go into great detail, nor do I believe it's necessary to suspend my disbelief or make a great Star Wars movie.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 February 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Actually, it's been officially confirmed that Starkiller Base COULD move. Otherwise it would pretty much just be a one-shot weapon seeing as it only works when it swallows up a whole star at one time. And they were fixing to fire it a second time, meaning they must have already moved it once.

I said it can't move anywhere because it needs a star.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 February 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Heck, the one time they DID try to give us a bit more than we asked for in this area was with all the political nonsense surrounding the prequels, which were necessary to tell the story but were not well received by fans AT ALL.

It was not well received because it was mumbo jumbo and nobody could understand anything. The prequels didn't even explain basic things, such as what is the role of the Jedi, do they work as bodyguards for politics? Soldier? Obi-wan says something about them being on the side of the democracy (despite Windu attenpt to arrest the Chancellor with no evidence).

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I just saw this for the first time on Saturday.

All I can say is I must have watched Star Wars one too many times because all I could see was how many of the shots and dialog were exact copies out of the original trilogy (particularly Episode IV and V). I lost count pretty quickly. Considering the story was also a mash up of the original trilogy and anything new went unexplained and when it seemed out of place was hand waived away you can consider me disappointed.

That and the cinematography during the action scenes are kind of atrocious with its zoomed in camera and quick cuts.

Spoiler

User is offline   Fox 

Hopefully Disney was trying to make fans feel like home and will be more original from now on.

User is online   Lunick 

I think it deserves a mention, the movie is getting a Lego version of the game:

User is offline   Fox 

Shouldn't the sand or snow be made of blocks too?

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostFox, on 02 February 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

I said it can't move anywhere because it needs a star.

Where was that established?

It was not well received because it was mumbo jumbo and nobody could understand anything. The prequels didn't even explain basic things, such as what is the role of the Jedi, do they work as bodyguards for politics? Soldier? Obi-wan says something about them being on the side of the democracy (despite Windu attenpt to arrest the Chancellor with no evidence).

I never thought it was hard to understand, just overloaded with too much attention. Actually, I don't have much problem with it. Like I said, it was all necessary to tell the story, otherwise people would ve even more lost.

As far as the role of the Jedi, the only confusing part for me was when Windu said they were "keepers of the peace, not soldiers," yet at least Obi-Wan was a general in the Republic army as well as a Jedi Master. And for the no evidence thing, I think Windu was just more concerned with ending evil even though it required circumventing the law as he thought it was more important because nobody could truly understand that kind of evil to give him the sentence he deserved except the Jedi....which just worked in Palpatine's favour as he geniusly played on Anakin's loyalties and concepts of morality by making Windu out to be the real evil one for skipping the law and proving the Jedi's "duplicity".

Really, the prequels had a genius premise and progression, but George couldn't truly do the story justice. They would have been far better with other directors and without the cheesy "humour".

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 February 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Where was that established?

It was shown in the movie that the Starkillers absorbs the power of a star.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 February 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Really, the prequels had a genius premise and progression, but George couldn't truly do the story justice. They would have been far better with other directors and without the cheesy "humour".

I don't think one episode with Darth Vader as a kid would ever work. The movies should focus on the relationship beetween Obi-wan and Anakin, but I don't know if there is enough material for 3 movies.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostFox, on 03 February 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

It was shown in the movie that the Starkillers absorbs the power of a star.

Yes....what does that have to do with it moving or not? It needs the energy for its destructive power, who says it needs it to move?

I don't think one episode with Darth Vader as a kid would ever work. The movies should focus on the relationship beetween Obi-wan and Anakin, but I don't know if there is enough material for 3 movies.

I agree there wasn't enough about Obi and Anakin, but I enjoyed seeing more than that.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Let's say you have a battle somewhere in space with no star around. The Death Star can be used in that battle. The Starkiller can't. Get it?

• The Sarien Encounter

Besides the thousands of battleships and millions of fighters (not to mention starship/fighter producing factories) it could house on its surface, you mean. But yeah, it's main weapon wouldn't work until it got somewhere with a sun. That doesn't mean it's any less dangerous, though.....unless there are Rebels or a Resistance with at least one X-Wing fighter. But that makes it just as dangerous or not dangerous as a place that does have a sun.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 February 2016 - 03:18 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

The death star didn't need an entire star to just start blasting rebel capital ships.

• The Sarien Encounter

So? That's not what Starkiller was designed for. It was designed for long range. You can shoot a sniper rifle or a rocket launcher point blank, but you're not going to have much luck. A shotgun or something would be more effective. Doesn't make the sniper or rocket launcher less effective.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 February 2016 - 05:43 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options