Duke4.net Forums: A question to mappers - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A question to mappers

The closest to writing code that I get, is typing syntax in excel! LOL. :D To learn mapping...even as easy as build is, would take a lot of time and patience. I'm betting a huge learning curve.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 29 April 2015 - 03:15 AM

User is offline   Flesh420 

Mapping for Quake takes an insane amount of time, I've started maps and quit because I just don't have the time to mess around with all that crap. Doom and Duke's much easier and more fun, SS I could never grasp and couldn't find decent tutorials, but I've always wanted to map for it.

User is online   blizzart 

View PostFlesh420, on 05 May 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

Mapping for Quake takes an insane amount of time, I've started maps and quit because I just don't have the time to mess around with all that crap. Doom and Duke's much easier and more fun, SS I could never grasp and couldn't find decent tutorials, but I've always wanted to map for it.

http://infosuite.duke4.net/

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think he was talking more about mapping for serious sam.

User is online   blizzart 

View PostMicky C, on 06 May 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:

I think he was talking more about mapping for serious sam.

Ok, I didn´t know what SS was meant for. :D

View PostFlesh420, on 05 May 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

Which Serious Sam do you want to map for? It's actually one of the easiest editor I've ever messed around with because of 3D WYSIWYG, it's just that I'm bad at being creative/working around problems. If you want to mod for SS1, then you can use the included Help file in the Help folder as a guide. For SS2 onwards, you can use this as help: http://serioussam.co...ED3/Hello_World

There are also a moderate amount of tutorials on Youtube (more than Duke, I think) that could prove useful.

Just a question: Has anyone ever made a Lunar E-2 type map with low gravity? (without the underwater sounds lol)

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 10 May 2015 - 03:21 AM

• Honored Donor

That's not possible without being some kind of mod.

User is offline   Mark 

I want to make a transport elevator from the top section to the bottom section. The problem is I made both sections at the same floor height. Is there a way in Mapster to drop the entire bottom section while leaving the top section as is? If there is no way to accomplish that I'll probably just make it a transport drop like at the start of E1L1.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: MAPQUESTION.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Been awhile so my mapping knowledge is fading.

I think in 2d mode you select the section you want then use ' + F. Should be something there about Z coordinates iirc.

User is offline   Mark 

That moves the entire map, not just a selected portion. Thanks.

User is offline   Forge 

oh, okay. thought it could do selected sectors.

what about copying the section you want to move, paste it into a new map, use the ' + F method on it, Then copy and paste the other section into this new map?

This post has been edited by Forge: 14 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

I could swear that if you shift-select the part you need and then go to 3D view with that selection active you can use Page Down to make wonders for you :)

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks Forge. As I was laying in bed last night your method popped into my head. ( there's a joke in there somewhere )

Spiker I'll try your suggestion too. I know it didn't work with alt selecting but I didn't try shift selecting.

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on 14 June 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Been awhile so my mapping knowledge is fading.

I think in 2d mode you select the section you want then use ' + F. Should be something there about Z coordinates iirc.

I was always confused about that. I mean what's the point of moving the entire map vertically at the same time? Relatively speaking nothing moves, it'd make much more sense if that function did work with selected sectors.

User is offline   Paul B 

Okay i've given this idea some thought. I find it kind of funny actually that you've practically finished the entire layout of the map and are throwing in the teleporting elevator so late in the game. Anyway, I was wondering.... I'm not sure if this would work or not but I think Gambini did something similar in his It Lives.map.

What if you had like a regular platform elevator take you up to a certain point to where the teleport would be. So effectively it would teleport you once you reach a certain elevation. Then once tele-ported you could use a sector touchplate to active the elevator in the remote elevator to send it further up which would effectively just bring you up to the same height you originally started at.

So the First Elevator would send you up ---> Teleport you ---> Then the other elevator would start low so when you teleported it would start raising up to the height you originally started at before you entered the elevator. Making it possible for both sections of the map to be at the exact same height. I'll play around with this to see if it works. Feel free to try the same and we'll see if its possible.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 15 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Forge's cut and paste between maps looks like it will solve my problem. I have the two sections at their proper Z coordinates and everything seems to have survived the transition. I still need to put the elevator back in but I forsee no trouble now.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMark., on 15 June 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

Forge's cut and paste between maps looks like it will solve my problem. I have the two sections at their proper Z coordinates and everything seems to have survived the transition. I still need to put the elevator back in but I forsee no trouble now.

Oh good to hear, I was running into problems with the elevator because when the elevator goes up it pushes the Teleport S.E up as well. LOL

This post has been edited by Paul B: 15 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 14 June 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

oh, okay. thought it could do selected sectors.

what about copying the section you want to move, paste it into a new map, use the ' + F method on it, Then copy and paste the other section into this new map?

Hey Forge! Great suggestion! =)

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Mark seems to be leaving out that I suggested that very same cut-adjust-paste thing in a PM about an hour before Forge(ry) :)

Should I have taken the high road and not said anything? hehe no!

View PostForge, on 15 June 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

Here's an upvote to make you feel like you've accomplished something.
I accept your sarcastic upvote with great pride. Comrade will just downvote me somewhere else anyway.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Robman: 15 June 2015 - 11:15 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Here's an upvote to make you feel like you've accomplished something.

User is offline   Spiker 

This is ridiculous! I've told you the only and the best way to do this! Just confused it a bit with Shift-selection when in fact it's Alt-selection. The mistake happened because I haven't used it for 2 years and you said you already tried Alt. Anyway here is a video how to do this. If things don't move with sectors this means they are not touching the floor nor the ceiling.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 16 June 2015 - 12:00 AM

• Honored Donor

That doesn't move everything at the same time, so your sprites and ceilings would be off. It'd be nice to have a clean way of moving all aspects and contents of a set of sectors by a fixed amount without having to fuss about whether it'll still be matched up afterwards.

User is offline   Spiker 

It doesn't move only the sprites that are in the air, which is not a big problem. If they have contact with a floor or ceiling they move. Also the ceiling is not a problem as it will stop automatically at the previous height, check for yourself if you not believe me.

• Honored Donor

It is a big problem if you want everything to be at the exact same relative height it was before. Because the spirtes touching the floor or ceiling move, you can't just simply move all the sprites down afterwards either, because then a lot of them would be out of place.

User is offline   Spiker 

I didn't say it wouldn't cause any issues. All I said that for me they wouldn't be any problem. I always thought you were a murican but only after reading this comment I realized you're not Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

When I said I tried alt method I only pointed at the floor expecting everything to move. I didn't know until now I would have to move the ceilings too. But in the end I wouldn't have used this method because of lots and lots of "floating" spritework would have been messed up.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

View PostRobman, on 15 June 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

Comrade will just downvote me somewhere else anyway.

Try and tell me about it i use my downvote quota on him before cuz i think he downvote me everyday for no reaosn just cuz i talked.

but how about highlighting entire map and moving it at once or it mess up hole map ?

This post has been edited by Max Payne: 16 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMax Payne, on 16 June 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

but how about highlighting entire map and moving it at once or it mess up hole map ?

that's what he was trying not to do. he only wanted to move one section, not the entire map, but there was no simple way to do it.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options