Duke4.net Forums: Overlord Appreciation Thread - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overlord Appreciation Thread

Life is tough for the Overlord. The biggest joke and most memorable part in DN3D was at his expense. He's very underrated and mostly remembered only for that one scene. He's piss easy. He's loved to be used in mock-up images. He supposedly had a model created for DNF for that part in the intro, but who knows what happened to that and he would have probably made a better final boss than that piss easy Cycloid Emperor. Hell, he might have been the final boss of DN3D too.

In this thread, we can show our appreciation and pray for a future kinder (plus crotch cannons) to our dear Overlord. Let's not forget the fact that it was he who successfully abducted the women of Earth and stored them in his pimpin' spaceship.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I never really understood the Overlord's plan of firing bursts of shrink ray blasts at a very localized point on Earth. On the infinitesimal chance that one of these shrink ray blasts actually hits someone on the planet, what would that achieve? Mildly inconvenience someone for about 10 seconds and then force them to stand under an awning?

View PostMarphy Black, on 02 November 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

I never really understood the Overlord's plan of firing bursts of shrink ray blasts at a very localized point on Earth. On the infinitesimal chance that one of these shrink ray blasts actually hits someone on the planet, what would that achieve? Mildly inconvenience someone for about 10 seconds and then force them to stand under an awning?

Which part was that again? Maybe they're shrinking the girls down in a base for easier smuggling.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMarphy Black, on 02 November 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

The scapeship was firing energy beams at the Earth. The level designer achieved that effect with a SE shooting Shrink Rays.

It looks better on Duke Nukem 64 since you can see huge explosions over the planet.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 02 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostFox, on 02 November 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

The scapeship was firing energy beams at the Earth. The level designer achieved that effect with a SE shooting Shrink Rays.

Yeah, it's either shrinking girls down so more can be teleported into space, or using it to whittle down what's left of the Earth military. Or maybe the Overlord just left it on after hearing you slaughtering the slimers outside.

Besides, having a shrink ray as your spaceship's main weapon is cool. While others are playing around with wave-motion energy destroyers, the Overlord can shrink enemy spaceships to render them useless or to capture them. Not to mention cost-effective too. The Overlord is truly a genius.

EDIT: Here's the Duke64 Overlord's spaceship shooting the shrink rays/energy cannons/mountain dew.

Posted Image

Amusing thing is that the light flickers.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 02 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

You know i've played that episode hundreds of times, and I never realized that's what they were doing :/.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I always thought it just used the shrinker graphic because it looked cool to shoot out of a space ship.

View Postgerolf, on 02 November 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

I always thought it just used the shrinker graphic because it looked cool to shoot out of a space ship.

Well yeah, but it never hurts to add a bit of humor. Besides, they could at least recolor it blue or something.

Unless it's a poke at ''nuke it from orbit'' or ''fuck this place in particular''.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That's always how I took it. It's very definitely the "Earth is under siege" motif. Posted Image

He's a cool boss, and it really is one of Duke's cinematic moments. It's also one of those moments that was brilliant from the moment it was first concepted. The concept art for the end cutscene is always awesome to look at.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 07 November 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

That's always how I took it. It's very definitely the "Earth is under siege" motif. Posted Image

He's a cool boss, and it really is one of Duke's cinematic moments. It's also one of those moments that was brilliant from the moment it was first concepted. The concept art for the end cutscene is always awesome to look at.

While I completely agree with you, why is it that the crotch cannons was no longer deemed as brilliant by 3DR and removed?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options