Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 212 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostSpiker, on 20 March 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

Ok, I think that changed something. But how to get reflective surfaces? Like the windows that were once hardcoded.

If the wall is marked as a mirror it should do the right thing. The map was changed for that wall to be a mirror for these screenshots.

User is offline   Spiker 

Ah, so it won't work for models alone.

User is online   Jblade 

Just a theoretical question - would it be possible to change a certain pal number's shade table so that the sprite itself is rendered invisible (or close to it, whatever) but everything under the sprite is actually made brighter? How would one go about doing this if it is possible?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

You would have to change the sprite blend table.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not, but Mark and I have found that normal. spec and gloss maps don't work on models assigned to custom (user defined) tile numbers.

This bug was introduced in build 5400. 5395 worked OK.

Flyspray won't authenticate my login, so I've PM'd Plagman and Mark has started a thread in the bug thread.

For all of you asking about gloss maps, this is probably why. I tested it with the HUD pistol and it seemed to work.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 April 2016 - 06:05 AM

User is online   Jblade 

Just a quick question, how do I use mapster32 script to draw a line between 2 sprites with matching tags? I've tried to take a crack at it but I can't get it to work.

User is offline   Gambini 

I just installed the latest mapster32 snapshot for 64bits but when i fire it in windowed mode, it is way too high in the screen, hiding the top bar and a whole chunk of the tool itslef. Is there any way to position it so the bottom line of the window alligns the taskbar? I know this was possible with older snapshots (maybe with windowpositioning?) but i can´t even drag the top bar to place it properly because it´s hidden way up there where my screen doesn´t reach.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 15 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Right click taskbar select cascade windows.

Should do it for you.

(added;)

You can set the window position manually in mapster32.cfg

Line 59...
; Window positioning, 0 = center, 1 = memory
windowpositioning = 1
windowposx = 3
windowposy = 30

That will be top left corner.

This post has been edited by Drek: 15 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

User is online   Jblade 

Does STAT_MIRROREDACTOR not work anymore? I vaguely remember seeing someone mention it a while ago; I tried to use it ingame but the statnum isn't being set by anything (or rather I have the sprite set up to log its statnum and there's no result matching STAT_MIRROREDACTOR )

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It's only set during animatesprites for sprites displayed on mirrors.

User is online   Jblade 

I know that, it doesn't work.

User is offline   Paul B 

I'm curious to know if the developers are still intending to release Eduke\Mapster updates? Or has Gearbox put a noose on such activity? Hasn't been any published updates in over a month and I find that kinda strange.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

It's because there's a big code refactoring happening behind the scenes that's not getting pushed until there's been a ton of testing. When that comes, coming with it are a decent number of bug fixes.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMblackwell, on 18 August 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

It's because there's a big code refactoring happening behind the scenes that's not getting pushed until there's been a ton of testing. When that comes, coming with it are a decent number of bug fixes.

Thank you for the update! Looking forward to see what's around the corner. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hey guys, I just tried out EDuke32 r5829 64bit in order to test out one of my mods (Attrition). It wouldn't start and I found this error in the log:

ERROR: NULL weapon! WTF?! WEAPONzd_CLIP

The older snapshot works fine. I don't have time to investigate this, I'm just saying this is what happened.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, it's actually a compiler bug. We're working on further changing the affected bits of the source to work around it.

• Polymancer

Something is definitely weird in how models are rendered in Polymer. Models appear correctly lit back in ver. 4593. In more recent versions (Can't remember the version No. But in August of this year), Models look very dark. This is not a model issue as the same models appear completely different in the two versions of the renderer.

http://i.imgur.com/1GayB7c.jpg
Same model, same level, same lighting, different SVN version.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 04 September 2016 - 01:25 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That was the new feature introduced in 4596; the ethnic diversity shader.

• Polymancer

Diversity through programming, the wonders of modern technology!

• Evil Overlord

View PostTea Monster, on 04 September 2016 - 01:24 AM, said:

Something is definitely weird in how models are rendered in Polymer. Models appear correctly lit back in ver. 4593. In more recent versions (Can't remember the version No. But in August of this year), Models look very dark. This is not a model issue as the same models appear completely different in the two versions of the renderer.

http://i.imgur.com/1GayB7c.jpg
Same model, same level, same lighting, different SVN version.

Er... can you narrow it down more?

There's there's about a thousand revisions since that one.

User is offline   Mark 

IIRC its gone back and forth a couple of times during that span. I've lost track of the various revisions brought up each time this has been a problem during that span.Sometimes a tweak was made and a revision worked better but still not quite right. I think his point was that its not a model problem which was a possibility during some of those discussions. I'm pretty sure TM has been in PMs with a couple of the devs descibing details.

From what I can gather, as soon as normal maps are applied ( with any settings ) the diff map refuses to illuminate from light sources.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

• Evil Overlord

But if you can narrow it down to the first bad commit then they can work out the root of the problem.

Edit: You said 4593 was good. Try 4600 (for example).

User is offline   Mark 

Thats all "been there and done that" a few times already. The problem is elusive and we have people busy with other things and real life so a complete solution hasn't appeared. The people with the best chance of fixing it have the info from past posts and PMs on the subject.

The first bad commit was whatever came after 4593. And since then there have been a few attempts of fixes that were partially successful and then later on after another update it seemed broken again.

So other than 4593 and the next revision, there is not a clear cut case of "this version worked perfect and this one doesn't". There isn't an easy comparison to make for tracking purposes.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

• Evil Overlord

The best chance really is to find the first bad commit. :D

If you send me a test setup I can bissect it.

User is offline   Mark 

4593 was the last working public revision. Start from there.

After 4593 there were a series of many dozens of uncommited revisions before the next public release. I went through this with Hendricks and we had it narrowed down to about a dozen or so IIRC. But then it got dropped for whatever reasons. I no longer remember the range he was checking last time. It was a long time ago.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

• Polymancer

Mark narrowed down where the problem started, which version it was and all this has been forwarded to both TX and Plagman. We've been talking to them about this for a while now.

• Evil Overlord

View PostMark., on 04 September 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

4593 was the last working public revision. Start from there.

After 4593 there were a series of many dozens of uncommited revisions before the next public release. I went through this with Hendricks and we had it narrowed down to about a dozen or so IIRC. But then it got dropped for whatever reasons. I no longer remember the range he was checking last time. It was a long time ago.

That's why I suggested r4600. It's the first revision with explicit changes to Polymer. If you send me a test case I can verify it and bug people about it.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Can you forward the email chain to me or add me to that PM (or bump it if I already am)?

User is offline   Mark 

Tm should have that info.

I looked back through my PMs and there were multiple conversations spread out over time. One of them was concerning a framerate drop. It also by coincidence revolved around 4593 being the last good one. :D

Thats the one you and I were bisecting the crap out of. :D

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   Jmoc 

I don't know if this is the right place to say that, but did you have a look at the "new" Duke Nukem 3D 20th anniversary?

Those lights reminds me of Polymer....

Share this topic:

• 212 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options