Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 212 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Senior Developer

LeoD, on 28 December 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Helix, could you save the relative (virtual FS) path of the loaded MHK separately? This would be an important first step into actually implementing the UserMapHack system...

What would the immediate gain be? If it's likely to be implemented as part of that system, why not wait for it to appear naturally?

Btw, I actually stick to r4495 (synthesis 4488) for daily usage. As far as I'm concerned all later versions are broken in one way or the other, on one hardware or the other.

Are these 'hard' issues like crashes or incorrect rendering? Which ones would be the most critical in your opinion?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

LeoD, on 28 December 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Helix, could you save the relative (virtual FS) path of the loaded MHK separately? This would be an important first step into actually implementing the UserMapHack system...

My to-do list goes like this:
Enhance some visual aspects of the new menus
UserMaphacks
[Other stuff for 64 and TM]
[Other stuff for Android]

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Helixhorned, on 30 December 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

What would the immediate gain be? If it's likely to be implemented as part of that system, why not wait for it to appear naturally?
I don't trust nature, it may force me to do it on my own. And that part could be especially hard for me, as far as I can tell from thinking about an implementation concept.

Helixhorned, on 30 December 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Are these 'hard' issues like crashes or incorrect rendering? Which ones would be the most critical in your opinion?
I'm quite tolerant to rendering issues. But recently, crashes at startup or when leaving the game have sneaked in. Some of them seem hardware dependent. Sometimes it's the normal executable, sometimes it's the debug version.
I've kept telling myself that I'll hunt all those down once I've reached my mystic UserMapHack milestone, but it appears that I'm constantly about fifty maps away from it :)
Maybe I should take a break from that mostly comfortable task and switch to some painful bug hunting. (Spell check just offered me 'Hermaphroditus' for 'UserMapHack' :P )
Other than that, two annoying things reported back in June are still present:
- USE and left mouse click as confirmation/proceed action in save/load game menus and maybe elsewhere, too, do not work as in the DOS executable.
- Start the game, use the left mouse click only to proceed to the top menu. Use the mouse wheel to scroll down to LOAD GAME. Confirm with left mouse click. Use the mouse wheel to scroll to a used slot of your choice. Use left mouse click to load that savegame -> the selection jumps to the slot above.

Feature request: Please put basic information about the CPU into eduke32.log.

Hendricks266, on 30 December 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

Enhance some visual aspects of the new menus
Those side-scrolling menus are quite annoying on a wide screen.

Hendricks266, on 30 December 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

UserMaphacks
I was about to post this in the UserMapHacks thread totay:
Spoiler

I tried to upvote, but my quota on this topic seems to be spent already. B)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 02 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I have a theory that some of the crashes are somehow related to the keyboard layout switching. I feel like I've seen a couple of logs where there were duplicate messages about switching the layout (e.g one message for switching from a foreign layout to the US layout but more than one message about switching back), which shouldn't be possible. Maybe try manually setting your system keyboard layout to US before launching the game and see if that does anything...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've noticed that with the classic renderer, mapster seems to display overlapping sprites (sharing the same x-y coordinates) differently to eduke32, and in a superior and less glitchy way. I can provide example pics if needed, but is there anything that would explain this? Ideally whatever's going on with mapster can be moved over to eduke32 which should improve some things. I wonder if it has anything to do with Helix's modifying of stuff regarding sprites and masked walls a while back.

Micky C, on 04 January 2015 - 03:46 AM, said:

I can provide example pics if needed

Please do.

• Honored Donor

Ah the joy of avoiding spoilers.
Running both mapster and eduke from r4873.

Mapster, view-alligned sprite sharing x-y coords with a floor-alligned sprite. Perfection.
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/crimic01/capt0039_zpsb4411952.png

In-game, floor-alligned sprite gets drawn over the top one, including the lens flair sprite that's positioned higher up on the z axis (everything candle-related disappears completely when looking down enough).
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/crimic01/duke0048_zps126bcd35.png

Voxel in mapster. Uses a separate floor-alligned sprite as a shadow. So far so good.
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/crimic01/capt0038_zps5e9a6e8a.png

In-game same thing as before, the floor-alligned sprite is drawn on-top. This happens both when the voxel is wall-alligned and view-alligned.
Edit: When the voxel is floor-alligned the shadow sprite starts to show through in mapster too, however less consistently than it does in-game (where it is drawn on top from all angles).
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/crimic01/duke0047_zpsdb9e4e88.png

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 January 2015 - 04:57 AM

• el fundador

Pretty sure that's related to my flawed attempts at fixing z fighting issues with wall and floor sprites. I have something that revises it in my tree that I'll commit soon.

TerminX, on 04 January 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

I have something that revises it in my tree that I'll commit soon.

Oh. Me too. I just removed that sort-by-statnum, which is not very meaningful. That's since Duke3D though, so maybe we're not conflicting?

Edit:

Pretty sure that's related to my flawed attempts at fixing z fighting issues with wall and floor sprites.

Ah, that was in polymost.c, so it looks like we shouldn't step on each other's toes. My changes are mostly in engine.c.

EDIT2: Congrats for deceiving me into initially thinking that the first one is a Polymer shot BTW, Micky!

• el fundador

Helixhorned, on 04 January 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Oh. Me too. I just removed that sort-by-statnum, which is not very meaningful. That's since Duke3D though, so maybe we're not conflicting?

Edit:

Ah, that was in polymost.c, so it looks like we shouldn't step on each other's toes. My changes are mostly in engine.c.

I'd be careful removing that, I think I tried it once and ended up with oddities involving the sprites that spawn when shooting things.

TerminX, on 04 January 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

I'd be careful removing that, I think I tried it once and ended up with oddities involving the sprites that spawn when shooting things.

That's interesting. Maybe an upcoming bug report will shed light about what purpose that code served then :). I find the way it's written strange though: as far as I can see it overrides the preceding sort-by-z-difference, which is definitely not a good thing.

LeoD, on 02 January 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

I'm quite tolerant to rendering issues.

Yeah, there's quite a number of glitches across all renderers. What I meant were deal-breakers like your monsters turning up faceless like reported earlier. Speaking of which, I first had the suspicion of it being related to AMD graphics hardware, but could not reproduce it on such a system either.

Fox, on 29 December 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

Is it possible to add an .htflags so enemies are not eaten by Protozoid Slimers like the bosses?

I began looking through the GREENSLIME-related code but found it hard to read. Would you know where to find that condition check ("can facehug") in the source code?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

From actors.c:
            //Check randomly to see of there is an actor near
            if (rnd(32))
            {
                for (SPRITES_OF_SECT(sect, j))
                {
                    switch (DYNAMICTILEMAP(sprite[j].picnum))
                    {
                    case LIZTROOP__STATIC:
                    case LIZMAN__STATIC:
                    case PIGCOP__STATIC:
                    case NEWBEAST__STATIC:
                        if (ldist(s,&sprite[j]) < 768 && (klabs(s->z-sprite[j].z)<8192))   //Gulp them
                        {
                            t[5] = j;
                            t[0] = -2;
                            t[1] = 0;
                            goto BOLT;
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

Not sure if I understand why it eats new useractors.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi! I don't know if this is anything to do with eduke32, but I was testing the newest built and I seem to be having issues with the colour blue.

1- When I have HRP on, whenever I unlock a door, Duke's hand ALWAYS uses the blue card even if it's a yellow or red slot.
Attached Image: duke0000.png

2- Are the Assault Troopers and Captains supposed to all be wearing blue?

BTW, are the crosshairs supposed to be white?

This post has been edited by darkprince227: 04 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

User is offline   Fox 

darkprince227, on 04 January 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Yes, Eduke has a feature to remap the crosshair color.

Fox, on 04 January 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

Yes, Eduke has a feature to remap the crosshair color.

Can you tell me how? I'm not sure how to use the 'crosshaircolor' thing in the console, I type 'crosshaircolor 252' or 'crosshaircolor r' etc but nothing seems to work.
Maybe I'm typing it wrong?

User is offline   Fox 

In eduke32.cfg there is CrosshairColor = "255,255,255"

Fox, on 04 January 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

In eduke32.cfg there is CrosshairColor = "255,255,255"

Okay..... so, how can I change it's color?

I've tried configuring the numbers cfg file, but nothing seems to be working at all :)

Sorry if I'm being a nuisance, this kind of configuring is kind of new to me

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The numbers are for red, green and blue between 1 and 255. Open any graphics app and if you pick the colour you want, it should give you the RGB (red, green blue) numbers. Enter those numbers into the configuration file, save and close the file.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 04 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

• Honored Donor

Voxels seem to have a draw distance, at least in classic. Is there any way to increase this distance (or remove it? I don't think the performance hit would be that massive).

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

darkprince227, on 04 January 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Hi! I don't know if this is anything to do with eduke32, but I was testing the newest built and I seem to be having issues with the colour blue.

1- When I have HRP on, whenever I unlock a door, Duke's hand ALWAYS uses the blue card even if it's a yellow or red slot.
duke0000.png

2- Are the Assault Troopers and Captains supposed to all be wearing blue?

All these things happen when you run the Polymer HRP but use the Polymost renderer, The Polymer HRP has no alternate palette/colour versions for many items, since it relies on the Polymer renderer's highpal feature.

Tea Monster, on 04 January 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

The numbers are for red, green and blue between 1 and 255. Open any graphics app and if you pick the colour you want, it should give you the RGB (red, green blue) numbers. Enter those numbers into the configuration file, save and close the file.

I've tried changing the numbers in the 'cfg' file like you suggested (I typed '255,255,0' to get the classic yellow) but the damn thing just stays white :)

It might be something to do with the colour bug that I mentioned earlier (all the assault troopers/ captains being blue, as well as all the HRP access cards held by duke)

• Honored Donor

The floor sprite issue I mentioned recently is fixed, thankyou.

Micky C, on 05 January 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

Voxels seem to have a draw distance, at least in classic. Is there any way to increase this distance (or remove it? I don't think the performance hit would be that massive).

To make matters worse, the draw distance seems to depend on the scale of the voxel. So the more you shrink it, the quicker it disappears from view. I've got voxels disappearing in the same room as the player http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

It doesn't necessarily need to be a source code fix, is there some way to do it with con? Is there even any need to have this limitation in this day and age? I would have thought that any map with enough voxels to have a framerate problem would simply not have the voxels drawn when the sectors aren't in view, along with everything else.

Edit: I'm also having trouble getting the rotate and duplicate sprite feature to work in a.m32. I've included the script and enabled all events, but nothing's happening when I point at the central sprite or press space on it. Also, I have no idea what that "sh" term on the sign is meant to be.
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/crimic01/capt0042_zpsab0b9149.png

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

User is offline   Fox 

A while ago I made a request for unused gamevars to not be compiled. Was this applied or I still should delete all unused gamevars?

LeoD, on 05 January 2015 - 05:26 AM, said:

All these things happen when you run the Polymer HRP but use the Polymost renderer, The Polymer HRP has no alternate palette/colour versions for many items, since it relies on the Polymer renderer's highpal feature.

Okay. Things are starting to make a bit more sense now.

I took the duke3d_hrp_polymost.def from the polymost.zip file, put it in my eduke32 folder and renamed it duke3d_hrp.def. Now everything is working as it should except the $@!*£^! crosshair is still white!
I've tried modifying the numbers in the eduke.cfg file like TeaMonster suggested but that doesn't work. I try configuring it in the console, but still nothing works and it just goes to R:0 G:0 B:0 and stays there no matter
what I type next. :)

This post has been edited by darkprince227: 06 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 06 January 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

A while ago I made a request for unused gamevars to not be compiled. Was this applied or I still should delete all unused gamevars?

LunaCON has switches to display warnings for unused and set-but-not-used gamevars.

View PostMicky C, on 05 January 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

Bumped that to twice the distance in r4881. The limitation is "arbitrary". Pretty much all classic Build code that conceptually operates on fractional numbers uses "scaled integers" instead, implying certain limits.

View PostMicky C, on 05 January 2015 - 07:02 PM, said:

Edit: I'm also having trouble getting the rotate and duplicate sprite feature to work in a.m32. I've included the script and enabled all events, but nothing's happening when I point at the central sprite or press space on it. Also, I have no idea what that "sh" term on the sign is meant to be.

Glad it's of use to you! It simply has collected so much dust and didn't work for a variety of reasons. Check out the updated map in r4880. "Sh" refers to the pivot sprite's shade.

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible to make CON read subdirectories? That way I can organize the files in folders without disgracefully adding paths to CON.

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 January 2015 - 02:39 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Utilizing mapster script, is there a way to make custom monsters appear with rotatings and/or animations similar to how the default Duke monsters are?

This post has been edited by Jblade: 08 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Yes. But is it worth the effort to load a script each time?

Share this topic:

• 212 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options