• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Soccer

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Posted Image
Posted Image

This mod is mostly finished!

Duke Soccer was developed in 2003 by myself and Kef Nukem (project lead for Borg Nukem). This project already has stadium maps, and should have most if not all of the necessary artwork, and a decently working Soccer ball. All it needs is team coding and goal scoring. Kef Nukem left the modding community back then and it has been sitting on my hard drive ever since. If anyone is interested in helping finish it, or even just finishing it themselves just post in this topic I will give them a copy, and help them getting it running correctly in Eduke32.

On top of that if there is no significant progress in the next month I will release it publicly for people to fiddle around with.

This is an 8bit Total Conversion originally based on Eduke 2.0.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 07 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have a soccer game too (a crazy one where there are battlelord goalies and weapon thrown onto the field by the liztroops watching in the stands) but I think I'll sit on it for a while long, in case I feel like finishing it.

• Evil Overlord

This is a pure soccer game, made for online play.

Players choose the locker room for their team and enter a changing room for their desired position. That's the part that isn't coded, not that it would take long. Nor would the scoring part, hence why I say the mod is basically finished. After that was done it would just be a matter of putting a short period timer in and testing out a few games.

For the soccer mechanics the players can use their mighty boot to lob the ball or they can hold USE and run at it to dribble it forward a bit.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 07 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This sounds pretty neat. I'd probably take a look at it if you released it.

A goal system should be pretty easy to do, Nuclear Showdown has a simplistic goal system for kickable heads.

• Evil Overlord

Yes, it should be very very simple to code both it and a scoreboard of some kind. I can send you a link to a package via PM if you'd like. That goes for anyone else interested. Just make sure to mention in this topic if you are actually working on it so there's not duplicated effort.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 07 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I'd like to take a look at it, if nothing else. I could probably make an HUD scoreboard, or maybe one to go up on the walls.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Cool. A Football mod sounds like some online fun for those of us that like football!

Woo!

:rolleyes: Of course DP has a football mod that he made. What hasn't this guy played with. ;)

• Evil Overlord

View PostJinroh, on May 9 2009, 03:27 AM, said:

;) Of course DP has a football mod that he made. What hasn't this guy played with. :D

Yeah once you really get into coding you try all sorts of crazy things. It's pretty normal. TerminX did some crazy railgun back in Duke 1.3, and I think everyone tried some version of Dynamic Lighting before Polymer decided to come out. There have been fog effects, aircraft, a million different variations on ladders, and weird effects that no one would probably ever see just because coders do some weird and impractical things.

It's lots of fun! ;)

More people should try it.

• Evil Overlord

I sent both Hendricks and Captain Awesome pms with a link to the files. Hopefully I included all of the right maps and cons, and hopefully it works with EDuke32 out of the box, since I'm only using EDuke 2.0 code. Feel free to adjust or expand on what's there. You guys should talk about what you're up to here, and ask questions if you have any issues.

I apologize for the messy code, I wasn't as careful back then as I am now. ;)

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostMblackwell, on May 9 2009, 09:55 PM, said:

Yeah once you really get into coding you try all sorts of crazy things. It's pretty normal. TerminX did some crazy railgun back in Duke 1.3, and I think everyone tried some version of Dynamic Lighting before Polymer decided to come out. There have been fog effects, aircraft, a million different variations on ladders, and weird effects that no one would probably ever see just because coders do some weird and impractical things.

It's lots of fun! ;)

More people should try it.

;) You say that like I'm not a Software Engineer. :D

View PostMblackwell, on May 9 2009, 02:55 PM, said:

Yeah once you really get into coding you try all sorts of crazy things. It's pretty normal. TerminX did some crazy railgun back in Duke 1.3, and I think everyone tried some version of Dynamic Lighting before Polymer decided to come out...

Heh, I specifically remember that TX was modding Duke in such a way that it included location based damage, tearing off limbs and such things way back when. I wonder what happened to it? =P

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostRyan Cordell, on May 10 2009, 05:26 PM, said:

Heh, I specifically remember that TX was modding Duke in such a way that it included location based damage, tearing off limbs and such things way back when. I wonder what happened to it? =P

Lack of funding perhaps. ;) ;)

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 10 May 2009 - 04:02 AM

• Evil Overlord

View PostRyan Cordell, on May 10 2009, 04:26 AM, said:

It had location based damaged, though not tearing off limbs. It also had a lot of other fun things. Surprised you remember it... surely someone's doing something with it still.

• Evil Overlord

Hendricks went through the files yesterday and cleaned them up a bit. I'll have to make sure everything works like I expect it to, but barring any unforeseen issues we can move on down to the to-do list!

• Evil Overlord

Everything works except I have a strange crash when switching maps on Linux. I have to investigate further before I do anything else.

So, how did this mod work out? Is it finished? Keep it up

• Evil Overlord

I actually never received an answer back from my messages to Hendricks after he sent me some alterations. I may just release what's there even though it's sans scoring system and team spawning.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I never did anything with it myself. I found the new art largely uninspiring.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The tilefromtexture did not work because of an EDuke32 bug. Try again with a recent build.

• Evil Overlord

Wow I completely missed your post. I'll have to give it a go.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options