Duke4.net Forums: Hatred - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hatred  "Too much?"

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Looks like a more serious and sinister version of Postal to me...

Debut trailer:

From their website:

Hatred is an isometric shooter with disturbing atmosphere of mass killing, where player takes the role of a cold blood antagonist, who is full of hatred for humanity. It's a horror, but here YOU are the villain. Wander the outskirts of New York State, seek for victims on seven free-roam levels. Fight against law enforcement and take a journey into the antagonist's hateful mind. Gather equipment of the dead ‘human shields’ to spread Armageddon upon society. Destroy everything on your way of hunt and fight back when it's disturbed...

...just don't try this at home and don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. :)

The question you may ask is: why do they do this? These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure. Herecomes our game, which takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. We say ‘yes, it is a game about killing people’ and the only reason of the antagonist doing that sick stuff is his deep-rooted hatred. Player has to ask himself what can push any human being to mass-murder. We provoke this question using new Unreal Engine 4, pushing its physics (or rather PhysX) systems to the limits and trying to make the visuals as good as possible. It's not a simple task, because of the game's non-linear structure and a lot of characters on the screen. But here at Destructive Creations, we are an experienced team and we know how to handle the challenge!

What do you guys think? Is it yet another harmless guilty pleasure for adults, or does it cross certain lines that shouldn't be crossed??

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Finally a game that features Viper as the main character.... looks like they slimmed him down a bit though.

User is offline   Idiotska 

Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I honestly couldn't care about "crossing lines" but this does seem pretty much completely tactless and tasteless.

Postal worked because it had a warped sense of humor. It was cynical, sarcastic, wry, and mischievously playful. This is like the worst aspects of super serious warfare shooters combined with the "slaughter innocent civilians" of heyddy GTA and Postal.

I really don't care if it offends anyone, personally, and of course if this is what they want to put out there then that's their prerogative. I just don't find it particularly interesting. Above all that it doesn't look particularly inspired to me. Generic trench coat dude with unkempt hair, a gravely voice and an AK-47.

How about a bubbly office secretary who's had too much shit shoved down her throat and snaps? Something other than grimdark grimdark grimdark. I mean, you can have that too, but juxtapose it with something to make it fun and interesting! Aie...

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I can't tell if this is making fun of itself or not... I mean, I laughed, but was I supposed to? Lol. It's over the top to the level of B movie shit film that ends up becoming a cult classic. It's almost like a caricature of how angsty teenagers think angsty teenagers come off as.

Too bad that's not enough for a good game, not by a long shot. People can already do this stuff in open world sandbox games like GTA, except with GTA you actually have a storyline to follow and missions to do when they're done dicking off and shooting everyone. Way back when, I certainly spent my fair share of time hacking faces into 30-some odd bits in Soldier of Fortune 2... but there was still an actual game to go with it when I got bored. It doesn't seem like that's the case here.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image

Well. That game will make Leland Yee roll in his jail cell!

EDIT: I'm betting this game will end up on CNN, NBC news, Faux Blues, AP and so on.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 16 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

View PostIdiotska, on 16 October 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Apparently I saw somebody say this is literally like a more morbid remake of Postal 1 (which apparently wasn't really humorous like the 2nd game)

But what is the point of this game? Games with extreme violence can be pretty fun but most of the times they put that in justifiable context (Doom -> evil demons, Duke -> Aliens, Wolfenstein -> Nazis, etc), or its an optional part of gameplay (GTA), or they try to make you feel as if it's not right (hotline miami?)

But this game is literally being made so you can go on a rampage killing people, and they make their reactions super realistic? Gory games are fun in part because they usually portray the gore in a more fictitious manner but this game looks realistic to the point of being disturbing.

I mean think about it, how much would you enjoy a violent action movie if every violent death was portrayed in the same manner as a violent horror movie?

Also this seems exactly like how the media try to portray a violent videogame down to a T. It is literally a killing spree simulator.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 16 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I like what I see, one of my favourite old DOS games is this Finnish indie game called "Tapan kaikki" ~Kill 'em all, basically what inspired hotline miami.
Postal 1 was almost like it but it was so brutally unfair at times and very buggy that it didn't really work out well.
Video of TK 3 - You can see loads of similarities to hotline.

There aren't many honest top-down shooters these days that try to have a simpler "DOS garage-coded game" feel in to it. Most that do are just fake 8-bit crap with no real originality, although hotline does pretty well on this.
I did watch this video without sound so I don't know if the plot is pathetic or angsty but that's not really important.

Tons of potential on what can be done with this genre as everything seems to have moved more towards GTA-style freedom with less focus on action and more focus on "real life simulation".
Tight level design and challenging scenarios with strong themes and wacky/unrealistic settings could make this really cool. This is something I miss when playing more modern games.

Extreme brutality can be a bit tasteless so I hope that they keep it sensible.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 16 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends.

[...]

Player has to ask himself what can push any human being to mass-murder. We provoke this question using new Unreal Engine 4

"Yes, we're doing this to see if we can reap some profit from controversy over a game that no one would have batted an eye at without it."

"Yes, we really plan to release this game publicly and for PC only," the studio said. "We're too small [a] team to develop it on any other platform at the moment. We really wish to release [a] digital version through Steam and GoG, but actually we have no idea if they will let us to do this, because of all the sh**storm the game is delivering. :) We really would like to find a publisher for retail version also, but it might be hard for the same reason."

http://www.gamespot....y/1100-6423001/

Just another shitty indie game, then?

View PostCommando Nukem, on 16 October 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

This is like the worst aspects of super serious warfare shooters combined with the "slaughter innocent civilians" of heyddy GTA and Postal.

I don't know why you're lumping those two together - GTA has never been about mass killing civilians, that part of the games is always optional as far as I know.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostTerminX, on 16 October 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

I can't tell if this is making fun of itself or not... I mean, I laughed, but was I supposed to? Lol. It's over the top to the level of B movie shit film that ends up becoming a cult classic. It's almost like a caricature of how angsty teenagers think angsty teenagers come off as.

Too bad that's not enough for a good game, not by a long shot. People can already do this stuff in open world sandbox games like GTA, except with GTA you actually have a storyline to follow and missions to do when they're done dicking off and shooting everyone. Way back when, I certainly spent my fair share of time hacking faces into 30-some odd bits in Soldier of Fortune 2... but there was still an actual game to go with it when I got bored. It doesn't seem like that's the case here.

yeah iam not sure what the point as, in X Civs in X ammount of time?

personally i want a punisher stealth/rambo type game where you storm mob mansions, warehouses etc and the goal is too kill everyone, very graphic and because dynamic intelligent generation systems arnt viable there should be at least 100+ gory canned stealth kill animations, Soldier of fortune gore system.

Was also thinking how fun a predator open world game in the crysis engine would be, island, crashland, military intervention, get your parts back, fix ship and escape

XP and all that other BS, it would rock you know it would.

Choo choo, here comes the controversy train.

I could imagine this game having trouble getting passed the classification boards without an AO rating or being banned completely. It's just that the violence is completely non-justified in any context, yeah the main character might hate humanity with a passion (who doesn't :)) but in that context does that justify a killing spree?

It looks like this game is being controversial for the sake of controversy, i just hope gamers are smart enough not to be fooled into buying it (not the game, the controversy). Gamers already get a bad rap in the media, pretty much every massacre is "linked" to gaming be it the Columbine perps playing Doom to the Norway perp "training" with Call of Duty, Gaming certainly doesn't need this crap.

Sorry, mini rant over.

User is offline   Hool 

This reminds of some lines mentioned in Spec Ops The Line. Off the top of my they go:

"To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless.

"The US military does condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care?"

"If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here."

"Do you feel like a hero yet?"

"Can you even remember why you came here?"

"You are still a good person."

The game seems to be violence for the sake of violence. It only exists to rival up controversy. People are saying "But Grand Theft Auto is like this!". GTA gets away with it because it's not the only feature in the game, you do not get scored on how many you kill and its not glorified from being over-excessive. In GTA its a sandbox game so you can go around and do what you want be it jumping off a tall building on a bike, playing golf, or rag dolling hilariously into a group of pedestrians. Postal got away with it because it has crass humor. It's rude, disgusting and over-the-top and it shows this through its controversial gameplay. You can even complete Postal 2 without killing a single person, people just kill because the option exists in the game. This game seems to advertise the fact that you only go around killing innocent pedestrians and police officers - there is nothing in the trailer that shows you can complete the game or various levels as a pacifist. The game advertises itself as showing that you have to kill innocent, defenseless bystanders and police offers in order to pass to the next level or area.

The quotes from Spec Ops The Line are to show how people play games because of escapism. They want to play the "hero" going around saving peoples lives and being the good guy. However, how far will games go before they start to blur the line between what's real and what's fictional? Another fantastic line from Spec Ops The Line is "Cognitive Dissonance is the unsettling feeling caused by holding two conflicting beliefs simultaneously". That line isn't really talking about the main character rather it's speaking directly to the player, you. It's about that disturbing feeling you get from believing that shooting the enemies, the thing you are supposed to do because its a game and that's what you do in shooters, with that combined with the creeping knowledge somewhere in the back of your mind - knowledge that they have set up through out the game - that this is all wrong, that you shouldn't be killing the enemies. Spec Ops is the only game to my knowledge that critiques the genre of shooters and shows that games like these affect people in various different ways. I'm not supporting Hatred and neither am I hating on it. I've been disgusted by violent games before - The Punisher for example however games are art and art is a form of expression and I'm all for expressing ones opinion, thoughts and feelings through art. Art should be embraced, not frowned upon. Hatred is a game I'm sure will be shown in many tabloid newspapers and online blogs in the near future - complaining how its effecting our youth and it should be banned. The question is : is that helpful or censorship?

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 17 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

User is offline   K100 

I personally want to play this game. It look fun. And it's the Postal 1 remake I wanted.

The first Postal have no humor at all, you just have to kill as many peoples as you can and go to the next level. Even the executions were already in Postal 1.

I can understand that certain people are shocked, but seriously, It's just a game, a fiction, and It has already been done in 1997...

Just my opinion.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostJimmy, on 16 October 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

<edgy picture>

I just got done listening to a few songs off of Slipknot's "Iowa" album. One of the great things about listening to music such as Slipknot is that usually one can separate a band's (admittedly absurd) image or politics from the sound that they produce (except for Gwar, which enhances rather than distracts via image), unlike the game mentioned in the original post which seems like a sledgehammer of "Look! I'm trying to be controversial!" to the face.

It may be that we're entering a new era of gaming where publicity is garnered from being "artistic" rather than having great gameplay.

Excuse me while I go back to playing Blake Stone.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 17 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

I'm far more concerned about games entering the market with Deliberate, Knowing, Conscious, Willful intent to exploit people's addictive weaknesses, confused understanding of prompts, and disconnection due to obfuscation of the true cost of playing the game long term. It's not just the mobile puzzle parasites though they are the most egregious so far.

It is slowly tilting our business toward people being unable to compete by offering the most value the customer enjoys in favor of those most able to fleece their customer through misdirection and psychology. There already are and going to continue to be, a lot of people pissed off when they understand they were deliberately manipulated to pay more money... that certain levels are known monetization money makers... not just an "interesting challenge".

Because we all know making colored blocks disappear over and over and designing the pacing to maximize the pleasure/pain path in order to maximize the desire to pay a token fee to move on has so much depth and redeeming value and has no real world consequences.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 17 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

As to this game... whatever. Buy it if you like what it's offering, ignore it if you don't.

They haven't been deceptive about their intentions and goals... which already puts them a step higher on the moral high ground in my book than certain devs producing "family friendly" products.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 17 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostX-Vector, on 17 October 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

GTA has never been about mass killing civilians, that part of the games is always optional as far as I know.

Being a criminal and engaging in criminal activities where otherwise innocent people are *going* die isn't optional if you want to finish the game.

That said, according to the fiction wrapped around this character... nobody is innocent and what he's doing is just... akin to clearing out an infestation which includes himself. It's pretty much the same as John Doe's reasoning in Seven and the writers even went so far as to ensure that perspective was presented in the movie leaving it up to the viewer to decide who to side with.

For me the line is whether the activity is fiction or not... not the counter.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 17 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Wieder going crazy with a triple post.

It would have been a quadruple post if you hadn't interrupted.

Now I'm angry enough to want to play this game. Thanks a lot ReaperMan.

People on 4chan are getting banned for saying that this game is too edgey and that it's a really bad time for a game like this to come out. Infact it's questionable if it's actually a game and not just some publicity stunt.

User is offline   Ronin 

The Hatred logo at the end reminds me of the Doom logo, with the stretched lettering and the pyramids silhouettes on the bottom. This game will definitely cause trouble and earn the devs a lot of money with the publicity if it gets released.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostRonan, on 17 October 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

The Hatred logo at the end reminds me of the Doom logo, with the stretched lettering and the pyramids silhouettes on the bottom. This game will definitely cause trouble and earn the devs a lot of money with the publicity if it gets released.

I thought the exact same thing

Maybe this game might even end the whole gamergate thing where everyone targets this game with their hatred and come together to stop it

Or it will release and turn out to be a mediocre game that only survived via controversy

I'm curious if they will go full on and have kids in the game?

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 17 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

As a representative for the Psychopath Activist Program, I deem this as an ineffective portrayal of the benign society of killers and mass murderers rightfully-contributing to society. I seriously hope gaming hasn't fallen so far to generalize us in such a way, and given into the shameful "Mindless Killer" trope.

Be sure to check out my blog, Fatality Frequency, for more of my opinion on this matter.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCarl Winslow, on 17 October 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

People on 4chan are getting banned for saying that this game is too edgey and that it's a really bad time for a game like this to come out. Infact it's questionable if it's actually a game and not just some publicity stunt.

>2014
>Reading 4chan

Posted Image

That's really funny guy hey maybe you shouldn't be posting about 4chins.fat in the gamergate thread then.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 17 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Found this on the comment section:
"If this was a movie nobody would give a shit. It would be the next torture porn summer blockbuster alongside SAW and countless other torture porn flicks."
Pretty much summarize what I think.

This looks like Postal 1 in HD and 3D; not my cup of tea but hey, to each their own I guess. :)

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options