Duke4.net Forums: Motherboards. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Motherboards.  "Got a recommended brand?"

I have this MSI Motherboard in my desktop. I've heard MSI makes subpar motherboards.

If I wanted to get a new motherboard. I'm leaning toward ASRock. Looking for a bulletproof reliable 1155 gaming MB. The other hassle I'm gonna have to figure out is that the Windows 7 key is attached to the motherboard is what I've heard. I don't want to spend extra money getting a new Windows 7 key for a new MB.

You got any favorite brand that you like and got any recommendations?

Trying to make a decision a/b this if I want a MB transplant or not.

UPDATE: This looks interesting: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157293

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 30 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

Ugh, add Newegg to the list of sites that crash new FireFox...

ASRock are cheap and cheerful. I always thought of them as the Poor-man's-ASUS though Asus have been making increasingly cheap and nasty looking products over the past decade. I found them to be maybe marginally more reliable than MSI, but they make up for it by lacking in overclocking.

Really depends on what you want to do with the motherboard. Anything is better than Biostar... Except maybe Gigabyte, both of which are terrible. I don't know if PCChips are still around, but if they are, avoid those too because any company that puts plastic marked "Write Back Cache" on their boards instead of real chips is surely not trustworthy.

Keep in mind the last machine I built was in April 2005, wasn't even made of desktop hardware, last time I did that was 2004 so my information might be out of date. But overall, I've never seen much point in upgrading motherboards, generally a platform is limited to so much RAM and PCI-E lanes from the start and no amount of motherboard upgrade is going to make the limitation go away.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

(Inb4 Viper comes in here wanking on about bullshit)

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

My board is the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. It does what it's supposed to, and is a fairly idiot-proof board that allows OC'ing without frying the whole setup. I dropped my cellphone into it and the damn thing still worked flawlessly. If there are any faults with the board as well when you set it up, a helpful LED light will come on next to the faulty part to help diagnose the error. Here's the Intel equivalent. It has only four stars but don't let that discourage you, this board does what it's supposed to and is quite a lot of fun to work with. Good luck finding one in stock, though.

As for switching motherboards, a Sysprep OOBE is probably your best bet. Good luck.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 01 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostComrade Major, on 01 October 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

My board is the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. It does what it's supposed to, and is a fairly idiot-proof board that allows OC'ing without frying the whole setup. I dropped my cellphone into it and the damn thing still worked flawlessly. If there are any faults with the board as well when you set it up, a helpful LED light will come on next to the faulty part to help diagnose the error. Here's the Intel equivalent. It has only four stars but don't let that discourage you, this board does what it's supposed to and is quite a lot of fun to work with. Good luck finding one in stock, though.

As for switching motherboards, a Sysprep OOBE is probably your best bet. Good luck.

I've got an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 mobo in my current PC, i'm not sure if the thermal armour actually keeps the mobo cooler or if it's just a marketing gimmick but it looks good and it felt strong when i was installing it.

My old build had an Asus P-8Z77M mini-ATX mobo and i never had any issues with that one either.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 01 October 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

(Inb4 Viper comes in here wanking on about bullshit)

I can't recommend any particular brand because honestly they all suck now. Every company is hit or miss, but I generally stick with Asus or ASRock. Gigabyte has high quality components and engineering but whoever writes their UEFI needs to be dragged into the street and shot. They also do a piss poor job with customer service - when the R9 280X screen jumping issues were at full force, every company except for Gigabyte promptly offered VBIOS updates that fixed the issue. They basically told their customers to fuck off.

I don't think you're perfectly safe with any brand anymore. I was pulling my hair out trying to design a custom fan profile for an ASRock Z97 Extreme4 with a an i5-4790K at 4.2GHz. No matter what I did the settings wouldn't stick or apply. I ended up running Prime95 overnight with the fan on full.

I figured out you needed to load fucking software in Windows for those BIOS settings to stick and apply. What if the end user wants to run Linux you assholes? The best part was I couldn't even recreate the speeds I needed using the utility, they forced you to drag points on a graph to set the fan speed, so I ended up rebooting and setting them in the BIOS manually again, and didn't touch that part of the software. I just set it to run in the background so the system would stay quiet until it was under load.

View PostRapture Rising, on 01 October 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

I've got an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 mobo in my current PC,

No offense but I can't take any system builder who buys one of those seriously. The AMD Sabertooths aren't the worst value, although I still wouldn't buy one, but the Intel models are for chumps. Not only is it an epic waste of money to begin with, but there isn't even an overclocking advantage due to how bad the current batch of Intel CPU's are. Even in the days of Sandy Bridge, there really wasn't much to gain. I have the world's worst 2500k, I'm running it at the max voltage possible before degradation occurs, and I'm only at 4.5GHz. It's being done on a lowly Z77-D3H, and all I had to do was mount a $15 near-silent, high flow, high static pressure Cougar 120mm fan to my Hyper212 EVO. Now the VRM's run cold.

Also, if you look at Newegg reviews, it's pretty obvious the "super high end" boards have a much higher DOA/failure rate, simply because there is so much shit stuck on them these days. The OEM's know suckers spend money on these things, and that's why Asus sticks plastic, which is an insulator, over parts that need airflow and then have the balls to call it "Thermal Armor."

For around $500 I can build a good gaming PC with an FX 8320 and a 750 Ti or an R7-265. Yeah granted, I can do that because Micro Center sells CPU's below cost, but the point stands. That board costs half as much as that entire system...and for almost all end users it provides no advantage.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 07 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

This motherboard I bought just recently got 3 new 1/5 eggs reviews on newegg. Should I be a little worried? Do I need to buy a different mobo or everything's gonna be fine? Heard stories on DOA, BIOS failure and SSD not working properly on mobos. Should I trust the reviews? I haven't bought any new PC components so far. Still saving up my money.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 05 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

I don't know why you're buying parts one at a time, if you have issues it's always better to deal with a retailer vs. a service center.

I wouldn't worry too much. Keep in mind that Intel boards have a higher DOA rate because they're more complex to manufacture, and they have fragile sockets. People keep breaking them after all these years. Never broken one myself, except for that one time I got one with a defective latch. It actually launched my old Core 2 into the air a bit and bent some pins. Caught the chip right on the edge as I was lifting it up. My buddy and I busted out laughing then went back to Micro Center.

View PostPerson of Color, on 07 October 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

I can't recommend any particular brand because honestly they all suck now. Every company is hit or miss, but I generally stick with Asus or ASRock. Gigabyte has high quality components and engineering but whoever writes their UEFI needs to be dragged into the street and shot. They also do a piss poor job with customer service - when the R9 280X screen jumping issues were at full force, every company except for Gigabyte promptly offered VBIOS updates that fixed the issue. They basically told their customers to fuck off.

I don't think you're perfectly safe with any brand anymore. I was pulling my hair out trying to design a custom fan profile for an ASRock Z97 Extreme4 with a an i5-4790K at 4.2GHz. No matter what I did the settings wouldn't stick or apply. I ended up running Prime95 overnight with the fan on full.

I figured out you needed to load fucking software in Windows for those BIOS settings to stick and apply. What if the end user wants to run Linux you assholes? The best part was I couldn't even recreate the speeds I needed using the utility, they forced you to drag points on a graph to set the fan speed, so I ended up rebooting and setting them in the BIOS manually again, and didn't touch that part of the software. I just set it to run in the background so the system would stay quiet until it was under load.

Asus customer support isn't particularly stellar either. When they introduced their mouse-controlled BIOS with the Z68 chipsets (which they made a big deal out of), the mouse support for M$ wireless mice was broken, and Asus basically blamed M$ instead of fixing that themselves, which was funny since the mice worked problem-free everywhere except for the Asus BIOS screen. I had to buy another mouse to be able to make BIOS changes.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I've never counted on customer support for any type of computer hardware - mostly because IT customer support assumes every issue with their product is a PEBCAK error, and they have no answers to actual serious hardware issues or defects (such as NVIDIA cards having zero surround sound support for HDMI audio).

>Buying NVidia

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 06 April 2015 - 12:59 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

>Buying

>Being white

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

>Being green

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHendricks266, on 06 April 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

>Being green

http://forums.duke4....ser/1868-green/

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDustFalcon85, on 05 April 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

Should I be a little worried? Do I need to buy a different mobo or everything's gonna be fine?

As long as it's not DOA it'll be fine. Most of the newegg reviews are written by weekend computer enthusiasts and parts swappers. Most external reviews say that it's a solid board with some good features and caters to people who want to O.C. and tweak settings. Not a top end gaming board, but it'll do for most people. Only complaint i've seen is that the onboard audio is 'noisy' and a Xonar Sound card gets a better cleaner performance.

I didn't see mention of it, but the board does have alot of 'protection' features and I'm wondering at what point will it start throttling performance.

View PostForge, on 07 April 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

I didn't see mention of it, but the board does have alot of 'protection' features and I'm wondering at what point will it start throttling performance.

I wouldn't worry about it.

With Haswell, you hit the thermal wall waaaaay before you hit anything else. They're dog shit for overclocking.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options