Duke4.net Forums: 3D Realms Relaunch Requests - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Realms Relaunch Requests  "What would you like to see?"

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

In relation to the 3D Realms Relaunch, we are planning a range of different events, blogs, interviews, articles etc.
We would like to hear what you guys would like to see specifically, in relation to interviews, blogs and articles.

Who from the 3DR legacy would you like to see interviewed? And about what? What would you like to know more about?
Which kind of articles would you like to see? Which blogs would you like to follow? What piece of history would you like to know more about?

Let us know!

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 29 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I'd like to know more about the development of Duke 3d from the point of view of everyone involved.

I dunno. Maybe more information about the hardware some games were developed on? Perhaps someone remembers what the average machine used for developing Duke 3D was for example (Sure they tested on a 486DX2-66, but was it developed on Pentium? What graphics card? Etc... We had a thread about this a while back.,) and I would be very interested to know what music gear was used, i.e. what controller keyboard was used where, which sequencer and whatnot.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'd like to know more about how far they went with the Build engine after the release DN3D and Shadow Warrior. What are the awesome things they did with Build that we never got to see before they dropped the engine altogether. Wieder said they had developed a very advance Room Over Room system for instance, how was that like compared to EDuke32's TROR ?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 29 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I would love to see interviews with former 3D Realms staff, maybe even collaborators like Remedy & Human Head Studios. Basically how the folks who made 3D Realms what it was see their time with the company. Kind of like Joe Siegler's Apogee Legacy series.

This is more ambitious, but hearing about projects that 3D Realms worked on that never saw the light of day would be really interesting and a unique feature that would draw people to the site. You should talk to Billy Zelsnack since he was heading up the original Bombshell project before he left to form Rebel Boat Rocker.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 29 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I would like a Broussard interview, either in video form or audio form.
Haven't heard or seen from him since before DNF launched.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 29 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostHulkNukem, on 29 September 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

I would like a Broussard interview, either in video form or audio form.
Haven't heard or seen from him since before DNF launched.

Me too. He sometimes streams his Ludum Dare projects over on Twitch, but I would love a proper interview with him.

DFPS 2012 Official Keynote

User is offline   MetHy 

Also I'd like to learn more about level design in Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior as well. What were their design philosophies (like the elements they told themselves they had to include, the rules they had to follow, etc) How much time on average did each map take? I tend to think most maps were done pretty quickly. Also basically anything that's not obvious and that we could still learn about the level design.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 October 2014 - 02:47 AM

User is offline   Hool 

I don't know if this has been done already but you should get the 3DR Dev's to play through Duke 3D and give running commentary, possibly providing insight into the games development. I remember John Romero did one when DooM turned 20 years old.

User is online   t800 

To WheatleyNukem:
Yeah, I ve seen that video too, and it was very nice nostalgic trip, so I wouldnt mind similar one for our Duke. :)

But what I am interested most in are beginings of DNF development. Very first builds of DNF were always mystery to me. Most sources claim that first builds were based off Quake II engine but then there are alleged claims that it was Quake I (and somebody once posted these interesting pictures that clearly look like on Quake I tech level to me):
Spoiler

and I even heard rumors of used more advanced version of Build. So I would be very grateful if somebody "from inside" could finally provide us with definite answer.

BTW what is current legal status of DNF sidescroller? Are rights to it held by Gearbox such as are to ordinary DNF? If not, could we please if no prototype build can be released at least got more info, screenshots or videos about it?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Give me the voxels. :)

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

t800 - First was Q1, then Q2.
There was never a Build Version.

About Sidescroller, DNF etc. GBX owns the rights to DNF.
I wish we could share, but it's up to them to allow it.

Reaper - Those are not Voxels :)

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 02 October 2014 - 03:24 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

If there was no Build version, then what were they doing with Build after DN3D and even SW? It's been confirmed they were still working with the Build engine after the release of those and before moving to Q1, and in old interviews I'm pretty sure I've read that they were working on a DN3D sequel using Build.

Unless what you mean is that it was not called "Duke Nukem Forever" yet and that the name only came when they moved to the Q1 engine.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

How about some more information on the cancelled Duke Nukem Endangered Species (possibly even a release of what was done, considering we know the alpha exists) Posted Image

Wasn't there a Duke Nukem D-Day for Playstation 2?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 October 2014 - 06:36 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 02 October 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

How about some more information on the cancelled Duke Nukem Endangered Species (possibly even a release of what was done, considering we know the alpha exists) Posted Image

The game was released as Vivisector: Beast Within.

View PostMicky C, on 02 October 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Wasn't there a Duke Nukem D-Day for Playstation 2?

I don't know if that got past the planning stages.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 02 October 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

I don't know if that got past the planning stages.

There are screenshots of the game though, but maybe they were staged pictures (like the DNF stuff on original Quake engine).

This post has been edited by gerolf: 02 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   Ahcruna 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 02 October 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

I think he means these. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/Kz456Yf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/j5cxe2N.png
http://i.imgur.com/DEaWuYb.png
http://i.imgur.com/cPYYdPK.gif

Speaking of those. It would be one of the most amazing things ever if Duke 3D got an "official" patch for native DOS with some added stuff, or how about enabled voxel support :teehee: (the community would handle the rest of the models)
Blizzard did the same with Diablo II pre Lehablo Theriu launch. This would be even more of an amazing thing to do though. ;)

This post has been edited by Ahcruna: 02 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 02 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostAhcruna, on 02 October 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

Speaking of those. It would be one of the most amazing things ever if Duke 3D got an "official" patch for native DOS with some added stuff, or how about enabled voxel support

No. That would be completely pointless and a waste of time.

User is offline   Ahcruna 

View PostHendricks266, on 02 October 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

No. That would be completely pointless and a waste of time.

Hehe, I know. Doesn't hurt just to throw it out there though, I'll be quiet now. :)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 02 October 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

View PostAhcruna, on 02 October 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

^This.

• Weaponized Autism

I would gladly curate the public release of those voxels, as well as Chuck Jones' models if they are indeed found.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options