Duke4.net Forums: I'm looking for some HD SCAN of the original DN3D boxart... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm looking for some HD SCAN of the original DN3D boxart...  "(but not to park my bricks)"

User is offline   Evilman 

Hello everyone,

I used to have an account on these forums years ago, but apparently is has either been deleter or i totally lost my username... anyway !

As the title said, i'm looking for High Definition scan of the original artwork of Duke Nukem 3D, meaning original ones, non-"remastered" or enhanced. I have a personal project (let's say a tribute...), and i need a really high resolution scan if possible, something like 2800x4000 (best size possible), or above, or something close... It's really much i know, but modern scanners can easily scan pictures at these resolutions. Unfortunately... The only retail version of DN3D i've got is the CD jewel case, and as you certainly know it doesn't represent the full artwork.

To be clear, i need something like this:

http://retrowarlock....3/06/duke3d.jpg

or even better, this:

http://umbcast.com/w...NukemBoxArt.jpg

(this is exactly the one i'd like to have, with the "Prepare yourself..." quote and all.)

but with the resolutions i mentionned. If it is possible, without game magazines ratings, non-3D realms edition logos or things like that... It's a bit much to ask, i'm sorry, but if anyone is able to scan the original boxart of the game for me, you can be sure to have a really big thank you, and why not some Steam cards or gifts i have in my inventory... I don't know.

Thanking you in advance !

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I have the original box. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Just snapped a bunch of my collectibles with the Duke 3D wallpaper on it, but I don't have a scanner so this is the best I could do from my Iphone:
http://www.mediafire...zb7h3/Scans.zip

Hope it helps.

I don't have that version of the box, but I can scan the two I have within the next 24 hours.

I can't be sure how well it'll turn out though as my scanner is rather old, actual sensor resolution is rather low and I have never used it to scan in color.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

There you go. Sorry, my scanner isn't the best but I also think the source image can only look so good at higher resolutions:

http://duke4.org/temp/1200dpi.zip

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I have that FormGen Duke3D poster, but no way to scan it.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

We have the original files used for the box print, without any logos etc. :) I'll dig them out for you

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 27 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hey !

I'm surprised to see already some answers haha, thank you very much guys.

The files scanned by Yatta are pretty much the resolution i asked for, really great ! The contrast is a bit dark but it's not a big problem, i can deal with it. Thank you guy ;)

The ones from Xmobilemux will still serve me, even if it's not a scan i may have some use for these, so thank you for your help too !

I'll wait for you Frederik then, it will be cool to see the original ones ! I just need the main cover (and what was on), i don't want to bother you too much so that's all i will need for now :)

• Slipgate Studios

Here is the original art for you guys :)

High Res Duke Cover:
Duke3D_BoxArt_high.jpg
[lossless version: DNCOVER.TIF]

High Res Cover, Background:
Mushroom_cloud.tif

High Res Cover, Foreground (Duke):
Duke_separate_from_Mushroom_white.tif

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 02:34 PM
Reason for edit: revived links

User is offline   K100 

Awesome ! Thank you !

If it's possible, could you share more Duke arts ?

• Slipgate Studios

In time :) We're saving a lot of good stuff for the 3DR relaunch.

User is offline   K100 

Can't wait ! :)

User is offline   Malgon 

Hey Fred, do you actually have a high-res scan of the Duke poster that K100's avatar is from? I'm sure I've seen ones that people have stitched together from scanning it themselves, but I don't think I've seen an official one before.

User is offline   K100 

I have this :

https://imageshack.com/i/nm2spxp

It was colored by a fan, but it's the best version of this artwork I have ever seen.

Edit: Just found this one on my external hard drive:

Posted Image

I think it's the original.

This post has been edited by K100: 08 October 2014 - 06:04 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 08 October 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

https://dl.dropboxus...hroom_cloud.tif

There must be another source image because the title screen in the original game, XBLA, and Megaton is wider than this image is.

https://dl.dropboxus...hroom_white.tif

There might be something wrong with this one... beyond the slight nuisance of the background being white instead of transparent, the colors on everything else look off.

By the way, Voidpoint, LLC is still trying to get a hold of assets like the complete mushroom cloud background, the full "Duke Nukem" and "3D" logos, and the XBLA intro animation 3D model data for our officially licensed port to Android platforms.

User is offline   Ahcruna 

View PostHendricks266, on 09 October 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

There must be another source image because the title screen in the original game, XBLA, and Megaton is wider than this image is.

I don't know about the original since I'll need to re-check it, but the XBLA and Megaton backgrounds have a lot of copy & paste with some mirroring to make them look widescreen. :)

This post has been edited by Ahcruna: 09 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

What Hendricks? Which port? What did i miss here..? :)

• Weaponized Autism

Duke Nukem 3D for Android.

I am looking forward to that then! How far are you with the project?

Good luck!

User is offline   Kyanos 

it's in beta, it's EDuke32 and it's very modable :) I can't put it down. Between this and a few nintendo emulators, my Android phone is the best handheld gaming device I've ever seen.
ps it's a $150 motorola moto g

User is offline   HulkNukem 

That alien face in the bottom middle always makes me giggle

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Here is the original art for you guys :)

High Res Duke Cover:
https://dl.dropboxus...BoxArt_high.jpg

https://dl.dropboxus...hroom_cloud.tif

https://dl.dropboxus...hroom_white.tif

Thanks a lot. But don't you think it's a waste to save it in an obscure format that doesn't preserve the colors and transparency?

Do you have the "Duke Nukem" and "3D" like these?

They are not. Megaton sloppily mirrored the corners of the image.

But do you really need a bigger image? I think it would be okay to resize with the screen, like a responsive website.

This post has been edited by Fox: 09 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

• Slipgate Studios

View PostFox, on 09 October 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

Thanks a lot. But don't you think it's a waste to save it in an obscure format that doesn't preserve the colors and transparency?

Do you have the "Duke Nukem" and "3D" like these?

They are not. Megaton sloppily mirrored the corners of the image.

But do you really need a bigger image? I think it would be okay to resize with the screen, like a responsive website.

Fox, these are the original formats. We haven't changed or altered anything.
Also keep in mind, that the original cover was painted, scanned, and then printed on the boxes, manuals, etc.

The colors in the TIF files are fine if opened in an image editing program that properly displays the CMYK color profile. Also, while it lacks transparency, the TIF includes a clipping path named "dukester" which creates a cut out:

Posted Image

Oddly enough, though, there's a slight error in the clipping path that misses a bit of empty space between Duke's left forearm and his gun. This error is actually visible in all of the Megaton and even the XBLA background menu images.

Is it not possible that the "colors looking off" is due to the TIFF not being in the Duke 3D palette?

P.S. Sorry I never got those scans done, I got side-tracked with other stuff and as it turns out, my scanner is awful when it's not doing mono scans. On the other hand, it looks like a better source is / will be available.

Edit:

Maybe the fact my image editing software has a copyright date set in the 1990's on it's splash screen is a good thing for today.

Images converted to PNG from a program that reads color data properly then converted to Duke 3D's palette;
Spoiler

Here is an archive with the images both in True Color and the Duke Palette. PNG format. https://www.mediafir...uo1g5u95xxs5lip

This post has been edited by High Treason: 10 October 2014 - 01:44 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMarphy Black, on 09 October 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

The colors in the TIF files are fine if opened in an image editing program that properly displays the CMYK color profile. Also, while it lacks transparency, the TIF includes a clipping path named "dukester" which creates a cut out:

Oh, nice! Thanks for clearing that up.

User is offline   Besli 

Damn Frederik Schreiber, you're my personal hero right now!! :)
Thank you for releasing the original Duke art!

May I ask also for the Duke Nukem 3D text art, and the nuke logo?

Is there a high resolution version of the Duke Nukem 3D Shareware art?
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Besli: 10 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

• Slipgate Studios

There sure is :) Ill post it soon

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

There might be something wrong with this one... beyond the slight nuisance of the background being white instead of transparent, the colors on everything else look off.

By the way, Voidpoint, LLC is still trying to get a hold of assets like the complete mushroom cloud background, the full "Duke Nukem" and "3D" logos, and the XBLA intro animation 3D model data for our officially licensed port to Android platforms.

Still on responsiveness talk, I meant something like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shame on me, i didnt't even replied since the last time...

Thanks A LOT for the original HD art. You really gave us a great gift here, it is exactly what i was looking for, can't ask much more ! (or maybe a Shadow Warrior boxart... ? :P)

It's really cool from you, thanks again :)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options