Duke4.net Forums: Handheld gaming consoles. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handheld gaming consoles.  "Got any favorite handheld?"

I currently own the following handhelds: iPhone, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS and Sony PSP-3000. The first handheld console I got when I was a kid was the Game Boy, then moved on to Advanced, then to the (3)DS. I think the GBA/DS is my favorite handhelds IMHO. I phased out the ones that require AA batteries so I switched to Lithium-ion powered. The Sony PSP was good but not great. The PSP's saving grace is that you can play PSOne classics on the go.

Anyways whats your favorite handheld? Game Boy (Color)? GBA? (3)DS? Sega Game Gear? Sony PSP? iTouch/iPad? Last but not infamously least; the Jizzmondo?

Posted Image

It doesn't need batteries. Wouldn't mind getting hold of a Nomad though.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 22 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

User is offline   Ahcruna 

My PSP is using that custom firmware, which was the only saving grace for it in my opinion. before that it was just gathering dust thanks to that terrible VMU ( I mean UMD :)), it plays all sorts of weird things now.

My favorite would have to be the DS Lite, it had so much neat stuff and could play your old GBA games. I now that the first model did too of course, but the screens had bad lighting compared to the little beast that was the SP.
I really like the GB Micro too, mostly because I have small hands and the tinyness of it doesn't bother me. ;) I like my 3DS, but the lack of GBA games on the VC still makes me go back to my DSL.

This post has been edited by Ahcruna: 22 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Loved my DS PHAT while I was homebrewing it. Hate that it couldn't emulate GBA games, though, yet could emulate GB/GBC games just fine. Quake 1 worked as well, though I hate that game so I never played it. For a time I used it as my portable MP3 player, but the output quality was only 32.768 kHz. Also, ScummVM on the DS was great. Loved my GBA SP, too. I stopped buying handhelds after the DS.

Right now I sport a rooted Galaxy S3 with all the emulation I could ever want as well as PS3 controller support via bluetooth. Just need one of those nifty phone holders to put on the controller for perfection. It does suck that the battery doesn't last near as long as a GBA or DS would, though.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

The greatest system ever made, only smaller.

The Sega Nomad. /thread.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 22 September 2014 - 05:16 PM

My favorite is a my hacked PSP. Second to that would probably be my DS with CycloDS cart with GBA FLashcart and a 32GB MicroSD.

I still have a fully working Turbo Express, which is an amazing system with modern rechargeable batteries.

I currently have a PS Vita, Gameboy Advance SP and an iPad Air which i mostly use for games. I used to have a DS Lite, 3DS and a PSP but i traded them in.

I also remember back as a kid having an original Gameboy and a Sega Game Gear but both have been lost to the sands of time. :)

User is offline   X-Vector 

I've only had one, so that's an easy pick:

Posted Image

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Sega Gamegear, and Gameboy color. :)

User is offline   zykov eddy 

My favorite handheld system is Dingoo A320, believe it or not. It's not an official system, and mostly works as emulator (and pretty damn good at it), but it also has a small library of exclusive games with PSX-like graphics. Pretty good stuff. Also, it can run Linux, so it's possible to run EDuke 32 on this thing. I even managed to run a stripped down version of STH3D on it.

Other than that, I have Neo Geo Pocked Color, Sega Game Gear, Game Boy Color and GBA in my collection.

I loved my Neo Geo Pocket Color. Sonic Pocket Adventure was THE SHIT. Way better than the mediocre GBA games...the physics system was much better.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 25 September 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

I loved my Neo Geo Pocket Color. Sonic Pocket Adventure was THE SHIT. Way better than the mediocre GBA games...the physics system was much better.

Funny thing, I bought NGPC because I really wanted to play this game on the original hardware

Yeah it really needs original hardware too, the controls are super touchy otherwise...they really need that wonderful clicky digital stick.

I got one back in Christmas of '99 along with a Dreamcast. I need to get the link cable so I can link them up.

Who could forget the game king.

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The heck is that?

Its a Chinese special.

User is offline   Ahcruna 

That thing looks interesting. :)

View PostProtected by Viper, on 25 September 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

Yeah, that thing was neat and that Sonic game is a freaking gem. I still got some of those games laying around in my house, and I loved Dark Arms too btw.

This post has been edited by Ahcruna: 25 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 September 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

The heck is that?

It's like Wonderswan, but much, much worse

User is offline   ZedSlayer 

Looking back, I had a goal to own every handheld I could get my hands on, had a gamegear, NGP, and was saving for a lynx, but being young and naive I sold them once I realised I couldnt afford or even find more games for them. Still regret not having the NGP anymore, had pacman and that KOF pocket fighter.

Has anyone got the New Nintendo 3DS yet? I do and all I got to say is it's got a faster processor, got improved battery life (30 more minutes), and louder sound volume than my old one.

It seems all New Nintendo 3DS's have been sold out online from the looks of it. This is to blame: http://www.gamespot....d/1100-6425449/

Holy cat shit!! The physical release of the Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time 3DS is now out of print w/ used prices going up for $80 bucks on Amazon. Glad I bought it for the usual $39.99. That said you can still buy OoT 3DS on digitaly at the eshop at the (already mentioned) price of $39.99. Also LOL @ the reviews of the Limited Edtion Majora's Mask New 3DS on Amazon.

I'm very lucky to own a Nintendo New 3DS before all got sold out.

User is online   Lunick 

I've had one since November and it really is a must compared to any of the other 3DS family line.

Ocarina of Time recently got a new shipment here and heaps of stores have a copy.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I have one. It's like night and day compared to the earlier models. Improved speed with downloads, faster loading, 3D that works, & a built in c-stick.

It's what the 3DS should have been in the first place. Such a great system.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

I have most handhelds and like them all for different reasons. My favorite would depend on the day and type of game I am in the mood for I think.
I never got a Gizmondo though... that is one I don't have. I have several of the Chinese generic types of handheld and hybrid games. (e.g. TV Out) I really enjoy them.

I recently bought the 3DS XL and I am very happy with it. I have seen the comparisons of the newer version vs older, and I didn't see anything that had me convinced to get the new faster unit. Does the new speed show up in game frame-rates or anything like that?

MrBlackCat

User is online   Lunick 

The New 3DS's extra power won't affect any older games outside of possibly loading times (which is probably dependent on the SD card you use too) unless it was designed for it like Super Smash Bros or Monster Hunter 4. Majora's Mask for example doesn't have any New 3DS improvements.

Nintendo really needs to fire whoever is in charge of naming these things. You can't just put new in front and expect the average person to know what the heck it is. Besides that are they going to call the next on the New New 3DS?

View PostReaperMan, on 25 February 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

Nintendo really needs to fire whoever is in charge of naming these things. You can't just put new in front and expect the average person to know what the heck it is. Besides that are they going to call the next on the New New 3DS?

Satoru Iwata and Reggie Fil-Amie are to blame? If so, they need to be ousted.

Seriously the worst run big name in gaming right now.

Even EA innovates more than Nintendo. They're so conservative at this point they think every new gimmick they come up with is "groundbreaking."

Nintendo is always coming up with "new ways to play the game" instead of new games. Even when Sega fucked around in the 90's they backed up their experiments with software.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 27 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostPerson of Color, on 27 February 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

Even when Sega fucked around in the 90's they backed up their experiments with software.

And look where they are now:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think these things are amazing personally:
Posted Image

No one cares about Wii U sales because the system is sitting on shelves collecting dust, just like the Wii. It has no software.

My point was that Sega would actually do things with new hardware, even if they abandoned it. They would at least try.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 28 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostLunick, on 27 February 2015 - 10:15 PM, said:

And look where they are now:
<snip>

I think these things are amazing personally:
Posted Image

I know what you mean. :) I enjoy a wide range of game types myself, including units/systems like the one you pictured... Such simple systems using some seriously old technology... graphics have their place, but imagination has a value also. These are most of the systems I have similar to the unit you showed above.
(sorry for the large size... this forum defeats photobuckets Clickable Thumbnails for some reason now)
Posted Image

Here is another type of obscure handheld I enjoy... The VG Pocket series. These are hybrid handhelds as they come with Composite video out. The games are mostly primitive Nintendo "quality" games (graphically, not necessarily gameplay) but some of these systems did see a very few commercial titles. These titles include Frogger (on the VG Tablet), Space Invaders, Bust-a-Move, and Burger Time (on the VG Caplet). These units have from 20 to 75 games depending on model.
Posted Image

Here is a shot of the Handheld games area in the game room. The monitor is for the units with video out. (via composite to VGA converter).
Posted Image

I have a mood for all of these systems from the 3DS to these older tech LCD types. :P

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 28 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options