Duke4.net Forums: Does anyone have Japanese DN3D Rom for Saturn? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does anyone have Japanese DN3D Rom for Saturn?

User is online   zykov eddy 

Hello guys. Not sure if it's right to ask for such things on the forum, but does anyone have japanese version of DN3D for Sega Saturn? I just got a japanese Sega Saturn, and I tried to patch a european rom with Saturn patcher, but it didn't work very well. It displays the game in a wrong way and there's a flickering on the screen.

Sega Saturn version of DN3D was one of the main reasons I bought this console, and I'd really love to have a correct rom to play the game. Many thanks in advance!

You might be better trying to patch a US ROM as the video mode is closer to the system.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

^This. Japan and US are both NTSC, so the patching should be straightforward. I can't find any evidence that the game was even released in Japan.

View PostHigh Treason, on 20 September 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

You might be better trying to patch a US ROM as the video mode is closer to the system.

Thanks, I'll try it!

View PostHendricks266, on 20 September 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

^This. Japan and US are both NTSC, so the patching should be straightforward. I can't find any evidence that the game was even released in Japan.

Well, I was assuming that if Doom was released in Japan (an updated, polished version), then there's gonna be a japanese DN3D as well.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Glad to know we have another Saturn fan on here...I love mine to death, modchip, Action Replay Plus and all.

It's the ultimate retro system for elitist pricks. Fuck the Neo Geo.

All you have to do now is grab a RAM cart and burn some Capcom goodness...Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter is the greatest looking 2D game ever, IMO.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 20 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostProtected by Viper, on 20 September 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

Glad to know we have another Saturn fan on here...I love mine to death, modchip, Action Replay Plus and all.

It's the ultimate retro system for elitist pricks. Fuck the Neo Geo.

All you have to do now is grab a RAM cart and burn some Capcom goodness...Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter is the greatest looking 2D game ever, IMO.

Yeah, Saturn has a lot of great games. Not sure why some people see it as unreliable, obscure system.

I was also looking for japanese Doom rom. I've heard that it's the best version of Doom on Saturn, but I just can't find it, and the price/shipping for an original copy on Ebay is just too much for me.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postzykov eddy, on 20 September 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

I was also looking for japanese Doom rom. I've heard that it's the best version of Doom on Saturn, but I just can't find it, and the price/shipping for an original copy on Ebay is just too much for me.

I have it.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Saturn had a lot of pitfalls. I talked to one dev recently who used to be active back in those days and the playstation devkit was simply miles ahead compared to saturn so a lot of people just chose that instead.
Saturn again decided to sort of replicate arcade hardware in a home console just like the MD did, unfortunately the arcade HW was getting a bit obscure and in the 90s everything had to suddenly be in 3D.
32channel FM+PCM audio chip... mmmm.... It did have loads of cool hardware in it and was literally made to deliver 2D arcade experience in home console along with 3D.

I so need to revive my saturn and get outrun & duke3d for it as well.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 20 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

Anyone looking for good rare Saturn ISOs - Google "Get Your Rom." They have fucking everything.

View Postoasiz, on 20 September 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Saturn had a lot of pitfalls. I talked to one dev recently who used to be active back in those days and the playstation devkit was simply miles ahead compared to saturn so a lot of people just chose that instead.
Saturn again decided to sort of replicate arcade hardware in a home console just like the MD did, unfortunately the arcade HW was getting a bit obscure and in the 90s everything had to suddenly be in 3D.
32channel FM+PCM audio chip... mmmm.... It did have loads of cool hardware in it and was literally made to deliver 2D arcade experience in home console along with 3D.

I so need to revive my saturn and get outrun & duke3d for it as well.

Actually, it was the other way around, the Saturn was the first design, and the ST-V arcade board came later.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 20 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   Ahcruna 

View PostHendricks266, on 20 September 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure only Total Meltdown made it to japan.
I got all the region specific versions of the Duke Nukem games for all the consoles, and I've never seen a Japanese Saturn version. I could be wrong though, but I've never seen one myself.

Oh, and yes, the Japanese version of Doom does run at a better framerate than the NTSC/PAL version... but not by much at all, like it's just a few frames. It's still a pain in the ass to play though.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Total Meltdown is PSX not Saturn.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 September 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

Total Meltdown is PSX not Saturn.

I know :)
I only mentioned it since people confuse those two sometimes. I failed at trying to connect that sentence.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

You know what, that was totally my fault. I (mis)read the first sentence and immediately replied. Something one should never do. My apologies. I am ashamed.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostAhcruna, on 22 September 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Oh, and yes, the Japanese version of Doom does run at a better framerate than the NTSC/PAL version... but not by much at all, like it's just a few frames. It's still a pain in the ass to play though.

I tried it, and it's actually pretty playable. Definitely not the worst Doom version ever, though still far from supiriour PSX release.

I had more frustation playing Quake for saturn.

User is offline   MetHy 

Wasn't Quake made by Lobotomy Software on Saturn? Using the same engine as the Saturn versions of DN3D and Powerslave ?

Anyway I have the PAL version of DN3D on Saturn but I never beat it (I'm not sure if the PAL version runs slower or if it benefit from a good 50hz conversion, I don't remember very well). It's a very interesting version for hardcore fans like us, since it's a recreation of the game in a true 3D engine with some dynamic lights; but I have to admit that it's only worth playing for the sake of curiosity and comparison with other versions. It is a recreation after all, so TONS of things are off, from level design to enemy and weapon behaviour, everything feels inferior. Also the controls on a pad are kind of a pain (I heard that using a Saturn 3D controller it played much better and that strafing was more natural but I'd love it if someone could confirm this).

From a technical aspect though, it's impressive to see such true 3D running smoothly on Saturn. This being said, everyone says what Lotobomy Software did on Saturn is their best work (including some Lobotomy Software members themsleves it seems), but as far as I'm concerned, their best work is the PC version of Powerslave.

If someone can confirm about the 3D pad, and if it also works with Powerslave, Quake and Doom, it might be worth investing into. I also have the PAL Saturn version of Doom but I didn't play much of it.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 23 September 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostMetHy, on 23 September 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

Wasn't Quake made by Lobotomy Software on Saturn?

It was, but it's much more difficult than a PC version, and it's not only because of the controls. The monsters react too fast and it's hard to maneuver sometimes. I got killed in the same spot twice on normal difficulty, because of the clunky level design and overpowered enemies.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 23 September 2014 - 05:42 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 September 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

You know what, that was totally my fault. I (mis)read the first sentence and immediately replied. Something one should never do. My apologies. I am ashamed.

That's Ok, cool beans.

View Postzykov eddy, on 22 September 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

I tried it, and it's actually pretty playable. Definitely not the worst Doom version ever, though still far from supiriour PSX release.

I had more frustation playing Quake for saturn.

It's ok, but I guess I'm still bitter about how the 32x version actually runs better than the Saturn game. SNES version is worse though.
Here is a nice compatibility list btw
http://www.reocities...520/titles.html (maybe you already know about it)

PAL games are know for glitching out on NTSC-U/J consoles.
Some are still playable though, like Deep Fear just cutting out a small bit of the screen. In some cases PAL games run just like the US or Japanese version of the game would have on an NTSC console.

I got both a Japanese and a European console, also action replay 4 in 1 cart just to have maximum compatibility. :)

Yeah but there are VERY few unique PAL releases. That system failed even harder in Europe than it did in America.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 25 September 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

Yeah but there are VERY few unique PAL releases. That system failed even harder in Europe than it did in America.

heh, yep it did.

It's mostly to get the PAL versions of some of the same games that were released in the US. If you are going for the real discs, some of the PAL games are cheaper to get compared to the US versions.
however the downside is that some of them render badly on a none modded NTSC console.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options