Duke4.net Forums: Best CPU/GPU combo? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best CPU/GPU combo?

Poll: Best CPU/GPU combo? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Best CPU/GPU Combo?

1. Intel/NVidia (13 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. Intel/Radeon (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. AMD/Radeon (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. AMD/NVidia (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Intel/NVidia has muh vote!

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

You fool! What have you done?!

Posted Image

Edit: AMD/Nvidia for me. But... I am not looking forward to the shitstorm sure to ensue in this thread. :)

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 13 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostComrade Major, on 13 September 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

You fool! What have you done?!

Posted Image

Edit: AMD/Nvidia for me. But... I am not looking forward to the shitstorm sure to ensue in this thread. :)

Or a Kappa.

Posted Image

User is offline   Jeff 

Depends what you're doing. FSX likes Intel/Nvidia. If I was purely writing emails and browsing the net, I'd probably go with AMD/Radeon. Seeing as I don't have a massive library of games, there's not enough need to switch or try out AMD/Radeon.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 14 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Intel/Radeon. Everyone here already knows why I hate Nvidia.

AMD makes some great chips though, I do love the 83xx series. But the single threaded performance of an Intel rig is fantastic...they just feel faster for everyday use. Also, horribly written games like WildStar and PlanetSide run much better on Intel from what I've heard, but you can't blame AMD for retarded programmers who throw everything onto a single thread and act as if nothing changed in the past ten years.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 14 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Intel - Nvidia
Don't listen to Viper, he is a n00b who always has computer hardware failing on him. (fact)

User is offline   Gambini 

Cyrix - 3DFX

Nigga please. Real men use WinChip and S3 ViRGE.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 14 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

Don't make me laugh, real men use Rise - SiS.

On a more serious note, I cannot answer the poll because it really depends on what you're attempting to do. Overall I'd recommend and Intel CPU in a performance system, but if you just want a cheap portable machine AMD actually have some decent solutions. On the GPU side nVidia has gaming and better support from other software but ATi still appear to have the edge with certain computing tasks... So whilst I personally favor nVidia I can't really say it's the best solution for everyone though it probably is the best all-rounder.

Intel GPUs seem to have improved a lot since the last time I used them, the last one I used actually performed quite well and ran everything I threw at it.

I have both Rise and SiS in a parts drawer lol

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

AMD CPUs are cheap and do what they say on the tin. I have an FX-8350. The trouble is that the AM3+ chips are pretty much nearing the end of their effective development cycle (only so far you can push 8 cores without H2O or nitrogen cooling), so at some point I may have to switch to LGA 1150. Also, as Descent mentioned, AMD CPUs are crap when you use them with crap software that only runs from one CPU thread.

As for video cards, I'm sticking to NVIDIA until eDuke32 works properly with ATI. :)

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 15 September 2014 - 04:50 AM

View PostComrade Major, on 15 September 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

AMD CPUs are cheap and do what they say on the tin. I have an FX-8350. The trouble is that the AM3+ chips are pretty much nearing the end of their effective development cycle (only so far you can push 8 cores without H2O or nitrogen cooling), so at some point I may have to switch to LGA 1150. Also, as Descent mentioned, AMD CPUs are crap when you use them with crap software that only runs from one CPU thread.

As for video cards, I'm sticking to NVIDIA until eDuke32 works properly with ATI. ;)

AMD CPU's drives up your electric bill b/c they drink up alot of energy like a raging alcoholic. This HP Pavilion DV7-3160US 17.3-Inch Laptop I used to have had an AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor M620 (2.5 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache). It was prone to overheating and shuts itself down when it got to hot. I blame the CPU for that. I know better now and learned my lesson. So screw the AMD CPUs. Sticking w/ Intel for life. Despite what I've said I'm (thinking about) getting a Slim PS4 in the future even though it has AMD parts in it. It depends of what games it has.

Anyone remember this thread? Thank you for converting me into an Intel! :) http://forums.duke4....6-amd-vs-intel/

View PostDustFalcon85, on 15 September 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

AMD CPU's drives up your electric bill b/c they drink up alot of energy like a raging alcoholic. This HP Pavilion DV7-3160US 17.3-Inch Laptop I used to have had an AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor M620 (2.5 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache). It was prone to overheating and shuts itself down when it got to hot. I blame the CPU for that. I know better now and learned my lesson. So screw the AMD CPUs. Sticking w/ Intel for life. Despite what I've said I'm (thinking about) getting a Slim PS4 in the future even though it has AMD parts in it. It depends of what games it has.

Anyone remember this thread? Thank you for converting me into an Intel! :) http://forums.duke4....6-amd-vs-intel/

I would blame HP for that. I repair laptops quite often and HP/Compaq are the worst of the worst, especially with heat.

Some Dells have overheating issues too, but it's always caused by poor assembly. HP loves to use the dinkiest fucking heatsinks out there and leave massive gaps between the heatsink and chip, necessitating large thermal pads that don't transfer heat well. When you combine that with cheap thermal paste that's applied poorly, you're in for a world of shit.

Also Dells are generally very easy to service, many of them can be fixed by removing an access panel and reapplying the paste. HP's generally need a total teardown, copper shims, and sometimes other modifications to fix their heat issues.

An HP can be a good laptop, but it takes a technician to make it so...

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 15 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostProtected by Viper, on 15 September 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

An HP can be a good laptop, but it takes a technician to make it so...

been seeing alot about having to put the mobo in the oven since G6's

Yep, they're pieces of shit. If you get a dead HP, replace the board with a brand new one, slather on some high performance thermal paste, and use 1-2mm thick copper shims instead of thermal pads. It makes a world of difference. The copper shims also stiffen things up, and they help protect the solder joints when the system is hot and being moved around. Anything you can do to help reduce motherboard flex is a plus.

Some of the models are just straight up fucked, though. They make better paperweights than laptops. I've seen HP laptops where they passively cooled the dedicated graphics, when all they had to do was use a different fan shroud to get airflow...The heatsink was literally sitting right next to the fan.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 16 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options