Duke4.net Forums: Eduke32 for iOS and Android - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eduke32 for iOS and Android  "The topic that should be created in Hardware/Software Forum"

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I want to ask Eduke32 team and all our community about making a port of Eduke32 for iOS and Android. What opinion do you have? Is it necessary? I think, that it's a good idea, cos u all know that our mobile gadgets become more and more popular. As for me, I'm using tham more often then PC or laptop. So here are 3 arguments which I have (You can disagree with me, but still):

- We don't have a good port of Duke Nukem 3D neither for Android nor for iOS.
- Eduke32 becomes popular for indi gaming.
- I would like to try mapping on my iPad. Seems to be uncomfortable, but I could edit my map everywhere. ( Mapster32 for iOS and Android Posted Image)

Spoiler

Spoiler

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

n/m

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

User is online   Lunick 

I can't find the post but, I think Hendricks expressed some kind of interest with an iOS version but don't expect anything about that for a little while.

As far as Android progress is going, it seems like it is progressing fine to me.

Not sure how you would do all the commands of Build using touch controls either...

This post has been edited by Lunick: 26 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

You'd have to rewrite Mapster from the ground up and design it specifically for touch screen controls for it to be any good. You can't just use what there is now and translate it over. It would be pretty cool mapping on a tablet, though.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Scott and TX signed the contracts giving us exclusive rights to sell Duke 3D on anything Android or anything using .apk files. We're crunching to get the release ready, but there is seemingly always more to be done.

Depending on our success, an iOS version is in consideration. Beloko is working on porting his libraries to iOS already.

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 August 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

You'd have to rewrite Mapster from the ground up and design it specifically for touch screen controls for it to be any good. You can't just use what there is now and translate it over. It would be pretty cool mapping on a tablet, though.

Yeah, but it would be great, wouldn't it?

• The Sarien Encounter

I said it would. In that post you just quoted.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

• Senior Artist at TGK

My friend, M210, did something like Dukeres for the Android:

Posted Image

I thought about an idea for the touch screen in Mapster32. In a corner of the screen there would be a symbol of a keyboard. You press it, and it brings up the keyboard, maximizing the screen abit. The keyboard controls would function the same as the computer's controls. There would be another page for the numkeys. Moving in 2D/3D mode will work by on-screen controls. Swapping between 3D mode and 2D mode could have an extra button onscreen. Pressing S (sprite placement) on the keyboard would lock (until you press again) and when you press the screen in the place you want, it would create a sprite, so you could create multiple sprites!
I can come on with more concepts of fixing the problem with Mapster32 controls on moblie, but for now..
What do you think?

We could use the files and codes of the eduke32 program and maybe even use the Build Engine source code (that ken silverman released) and use a app making program too.

User is online   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDuke Fan - Kobi Shapiro, on 17 March 2017 - 02:42 AM, said:

I thought about an idea for the touch screen in Mapster32. In a corner of the screen there would be a symbol of a keyboard. You press it, and it brings up the keyboard, maximizing the screen abit. The keyboard controls would function the same as the computer's controls. There would be another page for the numkeys. Moving in 2D/3D mode will work by on-screen controls. Swapping between 3D mode and 2D mode could have an extra button onscreen. Pressing S (sprite placement) on the keyboard would lock (until you press again) and when you press the screen in the place you want, it would create a sprite, so you could create multiple sprites!
I can come on with more concepts of fixing the problem with Mapster32 controls on moblie, but for now..
What do you think?

Why would anyone want to do that? It sounds excruciatingly slow. Not to mention if you're doing it on a phone the screen would be too small to do anything with. I'm sure it'd be a fair amount of work for the already overworked devs and wouldn't be worth the effort.

View PostMicky C, on 17 March 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

Why would anyone want to do that? It sounds excruciatingly slow. Not to mention if you're doing it on a phone the screen would be too small to do anything with. I'm sure it'd be a fair amount of work for the already overworked devs and wouldn't be worth the effort.

I think you have a point in your opinion that i find true

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options