Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D - 91st "Greatest Video Game of All Time" - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D - 91st "Greatest Video Game of All Time"  "According to Empire Online"

User is offline   Hool 

Empire Online have put up their list of Greatest Video Games of All Time on their website as seen here:

http://www.empireonl...00greatestgames

Duke Nukem 3D is listed at 91, which is pretty awesome. Here is the specific listing on the list itself:

http://www.empireonl...me.asp?title=91

Shame about the rest of the Duke games that followed it though. You can check out the entire list yourself to see the rest of the games, some I agree with and others I don't.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

That list doesn't even include Wolfenstein 3D...

Against my better judgement... Why would it be on the list?

On the other hand, I don't trust that list, I've never heard of most of the games on it. On the up-side, Monkey Island and Postal II score well, on the down-side there are loads of Halo and CoD type games there.... And no Quake? Now I think Quake is rubbish for personal reasons that I could spend hours explaining, but as a multiplayer platform it was unrivaled until Unreal showed up - also absent from the list.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 15 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

This is a bad list.

User is offline   MetHy 

In the "fondest memory" part...

'Get The Heet Seaking missiles!'

Did that guy mistook SW for DN3D?

But anyway - 'greatest X of all time' lists can never satisfy anyone, I bet not even the guy who wrote the list.

User is offline   Jblade 

He was probably thinking of Duke64, which had a heat-seeking missile as an alternate ammo for the missile launcher.

Their best game of all time is a glorified film in anycase, so the list is mostly bullshit. I would even take Minecraft over that since you could at least argue it's huge impact. TLOU shows what, a lot of bought reviews?

This post has been edited by James: 15 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   Ahcruna 

Ignore/avoid any Top lists contrived by anyone, just hold whatever you like where ever you like it.

Often that type of garbage is only created to cash in on ads and views.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Everybody knows Duke Nukem 3D is the best game of all time. So clearly a bullshit list.

Duke Nukem 3D would obviously be higher in a personal list, but Goldeneye was the very early prototype of the modern shooter and was revolutionary in its own way. It revolutionized objectives in FPS games: now FPS didn't have to be purely about slaughter and searching color keys. It had an intuitive aiming system that was copied by every subsequent military shooter. And it had an incredible amount of weapons, though obviously the variety is inferior considering it's supposed to be realistic. Another interesting feature of Goldeneye is that it did away with healthpacks and your only sort of increased protection was body armor, which blocked damage until depleted. This made the missions more realistic and considerably harder.

Duke3D and Quake were the kings of multiplayer on the PC at the time, but the consoles had Goldeneye which was every bit as relevant. While on PC you weren't limited to 4 players, on the N64 you could fight people who sat beside you, which is arguably more fun and is something that people who played games back then dearly miss in today's games.

Goldeneye's only real fault is the framerate and some engine bugs which disallowed guards from hitting you across platforms (fixed in Perfect Dark).

Thumbs down for using pictures from hacks and different games entirely, though.

But what the list loses all credit for is definitely listing TLOU as first, and Counter-Strike making the cut IMO.

View PostHigh Treason, on 15 August 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Against my better judgement... Why would it be on the list?

On the other hand, I don't trust that list, I've never heard of most of the games on it. On the up-side, Monkey Island and Postal II score well, on the down-side there are loads of Halo and CoD type games there.... And no Quake? Now I think Quake is rubbish for personal reasons that I could spend hours explaining, but as a multiplayer platform it was unrivaled until Unreal showed up - also absent from the list.

Quake should replace Counter-Strike in the list.

And, re-reading it, why is Sonic the Hedgehog the only Sonic game on the list when it aged terribly and Sonic 3 & Knuckles is vastly superior? Why is GTAV on the list and not IV? I liked IV better than San Andreas, despite being horribly optimized and with no antialiasing.

This list is purely about hype, really.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 15 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I have no idea why that website would call that list "100 Greatest Games of All Time" while it only reflects the opinions of those who have voted - again, on their site. Do they have any statistics about the age, gaming preferences and gaming experience (in the sense, since when, how long and how much a person has been playing video games) etc. of the voters? There doesn't even seem to be any information about the number of voters, or the number of votes each game has received.

So Duke's place on that list (or the place of any other game mentioned for that matter) is only telling of how many readers of this particular site (which I personally haven't heard about before) liked the game.

Honestly, I expected a way more serious approach. Some online gaming sources take their time to gather statistics such as print and sales volumes, the number of mentions in gaming publications, rating by well-known gaming magazines at the time of release etc. One could also count the number of platforms to which a game had been ported (and sales volumes for that), the number of reprints and re-releases, the number of players online (if possible; and preferably over the years), mentions on the Internet, Google search hits etc. etc. Then you perhaps could call your list "The Greatest Games of All Time".

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Bullshit. This list is awful. Why is Sonic 1 the highest rated Sonic game in the list?

And I'm sorry, but Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, and Halo don't belong in any top 10, period.

Zelda 64 was amazing. Don't get me wrong. It was one of very few games that made me cackle and say holy shit repeatedly because of how fucking cool it was. I was all like "HOLY SHIT! WHAT?! IT HAS THAT?! AND THAT?! AND I CAN DO THIS?!" It made me and my brother get an N64 over everything else. Every pixel of it blew your mind.

But the problem is it was amazing back in 1998. It's still a great game. It controls like a modern game and plays like one, but the world feels very basic by today's standards and oh yeah, the fucking Water Temple. Even if you don't find it hard, it's one of the most tedious levels ever.

I'd give OoT an 8.5 out of 10, and this is coming from a guy who's beaten it more than five times and even fucked around with a Game Shark to unlock unused content, like that Arwing that attacks you.

GoldeEye is dated, even if you map movement to the C buttons and aiming to the stick it's just old.

Halo is Generic FPS 2001.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 16 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Last of Us is damn amazing, but beating out Doom (which was in the fucking 30's) is a travesty. I enjoyed Last of Us last year, I really liked replaying it this year, but that will eventually show its age, while Doom has proven to be timeless.
Eeeeeehhhhh I'm not going to try to be worked up

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostProtected by Viper, on 16 August 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

Zelda 64 was amazing. Don't get me wrong. It was one of very few games that made me cackle and say holy shit repeatedly because of how fucking cool it was. I was all like "HOLY SHIT! WHAT?! IT HAS THAT?! AND THAT?! AND I CAN DO THIS?!" It made me and my brother get an N64 over everything else. Every pixel of it blew your mind.

But the problem is it was amazing back in 1998. It's still a great game. It controls like a modern game and plays like one, but the world feels very basic by today's standards and oh yeah, the fucking Water Temple. Even if you don't find it hard, it's one of the most tedious levels ever.

I'd give OoT an 8.5 out of 10, and this is coming from a guy who's beaten it more than five times and even fucked around with a Game Shark to unlock unused content, like that Arwing that attacks you.

Tried Ocarina of Time 3D? It's brilliantly remastered and the environments look a lot more lively. The Water Temple lost it's tedium due to being able to swap your iron boots on the fly without need of a menu, which is nice. My only gripes with it, is that it's based on the censored 1.2 cartridge, meaning no more Chanting in the Fire Temple, and no more blood in the well and shadow temple, or the vomiting blood when defeating Ganondorf, and the splatter when finishing off Ganon.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 August 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

Tried Ocarina of Time 3D? It's brilliantly remastered and the environments look a lot more lively. The Water Temple lost it's tedium due to being able to swap your iron boots on the fly without need of a menu, which is nice. My only gripes with it, is that it's based on the censored 1.2 cartridge, meaning no more Chanting in the Fire Temple, and no more blood in the well and shadow temple, or the vomiting blood when defeating Ganondorf, and the splatter when finishing off Ganon.

I'm actually willing to give Ocarina of Time another try but I can't find a reasonably priced 3DS copy anywhere...

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostHulkNukem, on 16 August 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

I enjoyed Last of Us last year, I really liked replaying it this year, but that will eventually show its age, while Doom has proven to be timeless.

The life of any modern story-driven game stops as soon as you've beat it once. Well, some of them might be played 2 or 3 times depending on how gameplay is, but that's it.
Doom is pure acard-ish gameplay, and that, when well designed, will always work, no matter how many times you beat it.

Modern big budget video games don't even try to be timeless. They're like blockbuster action movies, designed to be hyped up and make money within the year; just to be forgotten by the next big buget game/movie they make.

And that is why including such games like Last Of Us in "best games of ALL TIME" is ridiculous. In 3 years, Last Of Us will be replaced by another game of the same kind, but Doom will still be on it. And in 5 years the game that replaced Last Of Us will be replaced too, but Doom would still be there.

If you were serious about making a "best games of all time" list you'd check every single of those lists, whether they were made in 1995 or 2015, and regroup the games that are always on the list. Games like Doom, which is why Doom would should probably be in the top10.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 17 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

If they were serious, Star Wars: Dark Forces would be on there and ahead of Doom as it was probably just as influential if not even more so. Think about it, Duke was certainly influenced by it, had to be, there are too many similarities. Blood was influenced by it to the point it is even mentioned in some of it's design documentations, about having the protagonist talk whilst you were playing.

The mission/objective structure has been replicated more than the system in Doom/Duke has, the music was interactive and orchestral which is how most games started to work eventually. It made heavy use of cut scenes. The save system is closer to a modern game in that it saves where you are up to - no manual saves.

Gripe about the difficulty, complain because Luke Skywalker isn't in it, but I think a large chunk of developers from the time if asked would probably say they played it back then and were influenced by it in some way. On top of that there's just how ambitious the game was, it was released in January 1995 but it makes use of texture mapped polygon objects, some kind or RoR system, sliding sectors, rotating sectors, complex machines, combo switch puzzles (more complex than the ones in Duke), shading-based lighting including a headlight as well as night vision - the difference being that enemies don't react to the IR goggles, the headlight just illuminates what's in front of you - huge non-linear levels, decent AI, water that you sink in and can have a current (but not submersible), a talking protagonist with an attitude not to mention a fairly epic conclusion.

I realize that this is my opinions and it might not be the same as others, which further proves why this type of list doesn't work.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 August 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

Hahaha, you know you've met a hardcore Zelda 64 fan when you start talking about cartridge versions. I have a red blood 1.1 and a gold 1.0. I use the gold for Game Shark hacking, the 1.1 carts aren't as common and lack some codes. 1.1 has the best Fire Temple music.

The Iron boots weren't Water Temple's problem, the issue is the enemies are downright irritating and the puzzles are tedious and unforgiving at times. Dark Link is the shit, though.

Zelda 64 was Nintendo at it's absolute peak. Fuck it, that whole system was!

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 17 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostProtected by Viper, on 17 August 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Hahaha, you know you've met a hardcore Zelda 64 fan when you start talking about cartridge versions. I have a red blood 1.1 and a gold 1.0. I use the gold for Game Shark hacking, the 1.1 carts aren't as common and lack some codes. 1.1 has the best Fire Temple music.

The Iron boots weren't Water Temple's problem, the issue is the enemies are downright irritating and the puzzles are tedious and unforgiving at times. Dark Link is the shit, though.

Zelda 64 was Nintendo at it's absolute peak. Fuck it, that whole system was!

Aye, I loved Zelda 64, and it's one of the games I remember one of my best friends by, who passed away in 2011. (That, and GoldenEye.)

I have on of the rare-ass 1.0 grey carts. Wish I had a gold one too, but they're expensive.

Speaking about the enemies, they are a bit easier to take care of in OOT3D, because you have Gryo aiming for your bow and hookshot which feels kind of like WASD+Mouse. Those clamshell fuckers were a pain in the ass.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 17 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Even iD tried to kill Doom with Quake and failed miserably... :(

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The list is bullshit. It doesn't seems to understand what a groundbreaking game is. For example, it lists GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTA V. It doesn't make sense to have three games that follow the same basic rules, but it doesn't include GTA III which is the game that really changed everything with the open world scenario, even if it inferior to its sucessors.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostFox, on 17 August 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

The list is bullshit. It doesn't seems to understand what a groundbreaking game is. For example, it lists GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTA V. It doesn't make sense to have three games that follow the same basic rules, but it doesn't include GTA III which is the game that really changed everything with the open world scenario, even if it inferior to its sucessors.

Though I agree with you regarding the GTA series, "groundbreaking" is different from "best", because there are a lot of groundbreaking games that I would hesitate to call "best of all time". So why is GoldenEye so great; better than Doom, even?

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 18 August 2014 - 04:37 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Duke Nukem Forever - 91,000th greatest video game of all time. :(

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 August 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Aye, I loved Zelda 64, and it's one of the games I remember one of my best friends by, who passed away in 2011. (That, and GoldenEye.)

I have on of the rare-ass 1.0 grey carts. Wish I had a gold one too, but they're expensive.

Speaking about the enemies, they are a bit easier to take care of in OOT3D, because you have Gryo aiming for your bow and hookshot which feels kind of like WASD+Mouse. Those clamshell fuckers were a pain in the ass.

Wow. A grey 1.0? I'd love to have one of those, a Rev. 0 Sonic 2, and a Spinball cart with the alternate music.

I'll probably never own all three though. Let alone one. Gold carts are pretty cheap in the U.S., are the that expensive in Canada?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options