Duke4.net Forums: The Dark level Demo release - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Dark level Demo release

Demo release

The protagonist - Victor, for a long time dreaming the same nightmare - he is on the bridge support going to jump.
One morning he woke up, he discovers that his wife had disappeared, and the familiar world has changed.
The author invites you to try the demo level long, long history.

The game is available in English, Russian and Spanish: DOWNLOAD

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Thanks for the linux package...

/s

Spoiler

It was very nice to play! I liked it! Short, but full of surprises in the Eduke32 engine :( There are a few little things you could fix maybe, if I may say so. I know it's hard to make a game like this.
I have a few points that need a little attention.

- You are thrown into the game... the ladder climbing, I would make it slightly faster. Although I was surprised about the effect. Never seen in Eduke32! Thumbs up!
- When on the roof, and the weird noise effect is on the screen, is there a way to make the picture 16:9 instead of 4:3? I know that's fixable through con, it's weird when playing on widescreen.
- When on the roof you hear the creepy whisper noise effect on the background. When you press escape and go back to the game it's gone... That's a typical duke engine thing. Maybe you can fix this?
- The rest... I forgot...
- Oh yeah, the English translation could be much better. There ware a lot of mistakes... some things aren't quite what they should be... but hey that's my opinion :(

Oh man, too many beers...

I must say, I was quite impressed with this demo and I've been waiting a long time to play this. And it fullfilled everything I expected and more. I'm looking forward to the full version. If you need any beta testers in the future I'm happy to test for you.
Keep up the good work man. This project will be great!

User is offline   Mark 

I love point and click adventure games. I've been playing them for decades. I'm really looking forward to playing the full version of this one.

User is offline   Jblade 

Very very short, but you did a really effective job at creating a new experience using polymer. Looking forward to seeing more, although I do agree that the ladders should either be faster or a fade to black and then appearing at the top section of the ladder, instead of the speed now. Apart from that though, a really nice job - well done :(

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMblackwell, on 14 August 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Thanks for the linux package...

It runs fine under Linux. Just extract the ZIP, then the data.zip inside it, run checkdefs.sh over the DEFs and start the mod using something like
$ eduke32 -usecwd common.def

Pretty atmospheric stuff!

command to run

english version
eduke32 -setup -game_dir data -noautoload -cfg data/dl.cfg

russian version
eduke32 -setup -game_dir data -noautoload -cfg data/dl.cfg -mh localization/ru/common.def -mx ocalization/ru/common.con

spanish version
eduke32 -setup -game_dir data -noautoload -cfg data/dl.cfg -mh localization/es/common.def -mx ocalization/es/common.con

This post has been edited by Mr. Alias Nameless: 16 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

• Evil Overlord

View PostHelixhorned, on 16 August 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

It runs fine under Linux. Just extract the ZIP, then the data.zip inside it, run checkdefs.sh over the DEFs and start the mod using something like
$ eduke32 -usecwd common.def

Pretty atmospheric stuff!

When I clicked Download it gave me an exe.

Edit: Just tried it again and now I get a zip. Definitely didn't the first time I tried (when I posted) however. That's why I was so miffed. :(

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I agree on the ladder transition speed etc, but everything else is pretty good.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The story and atmosphere remind me somewhat of Alan Wake. I like it.

Also pretty amazing on a visual level. I'd never guess had I not known otherwise that it was built on a 2.5D engine.

Played the demo, there's pretty entertaining and immersive action, to say the least... with the phones, water and other stuff you really do feel that your character is a real person with his own life, what is pretty unusual for such games. The downside is that it tends to be very short... well, let's see if there will be the full version, personally I'm looking forward to it =)

View PostSimon_Croes, on 14 August 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

- Oh yeah, the English translation could be much better. There ware a lot of mistakes... some things aren't quite what they should be... but hey that's my opinion :(

You've had an opportunity to fix it when it was being edited publicly =P
Still I think I've misunderstood some conceptions, because, for example, Russians have the same word for "ladder" and "stairway" etc. Anyways, writing those lines without seeing the actual game is kinda... playing jeopardy, lol.

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 17 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostCraigFatman, on 17 August 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

You've had an opportunity to fix it when it was being edited publicly =P

Well, it's kinda hard without knowing the context or scene. It should be fairly easy now to fix the translation :( Maybe if I have some free time this week, i'll fix it.

• Evil Overlord

Played through it. Interesting. Had to modify the cons so I could edit the keys/mouse (since I invert the mouse, for example). Technically could have done this by modifying the cfg directly but it definitely needs some kind of in-game mechanism for making changes like that.

Anyway, I did notice some bugs like some onscreen effects needing orientation 1024 added in, and sounds coming from odd places in the apartment (footsteps only coming from the right side for example... note I played with headphones). Also I wasn't keen on unexpected dying:

You can fall off the unsee-able edge of the opening area... which is a death
You can fall off of places where ladders are, which results in death

This makes exploration not as fun since you have no idea if you might die performing an action or not, and without the ability to save it means you have to repeat everything you've just done a moment ago which is almost never fun.

Otherwise I'm interested to see where it goes.

Correction of translation is still available

english https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
spanish https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

The development continues. Currently we are working on the mechanics of our inventory (yes, we gonna have a full inventory). Also we continue making level design. To show different atmospheres between our world and the "Dark level", we had to move the main character into luxury apartments.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

I hope you have fixed wide screen orientation and increased the speed on ladders.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 16 September 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

I hope you have fixed wide screen orientation and increased the speed on ladders.

Yeah, ladders annoy me too.

is there a way to get to respond hitscan to a borders of 3d models, not a sprite borders? As it is implemented in mapster32, when cursor hover on model.

• Evil Overlord

If the model has a clipshape it should respond correctly.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I've yet to get anything to bounce off a model, but IRC clipshape maps were working with the rest of the hitscan stuff.

If you use the showviewunbiased function in the Polymer mode , then the rest of the screen is black. In the Plymost mode everything works as expected. This is a bug?

Posted Image

Polymer doesn't seem to support showview functions atm. Maybe they'll get that fixed in later versions.

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 29 September 2014 - 01:48 AM

Work on the elements of inventory, which can be taken in hand. For example a camera or flashlight.
Posted ImagePosted Image

User is online   zykov eddy 

This and Tenebris are gonna be the most advanced horror games on EDuke 32. Can't wait to play the next version. Are you gonna release one more demo or we'll have to wait for full release?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 06 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

Retro flashlight "Zarya"

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr. Alias Nameless: 07 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

Is this just going to be a clone of Outlast on Eduke or something?
If not, then please come up with something new not seen in every other horror game out there at the moment.
I am not hating on this project, but I'd like to see new stuff not done before in every other one.

User is offline   Mark 

Because of digital distributions and their associated programs to run newer games I have very few. I have nothing like this so its going to be new to me.

Um what?
Can you not play games on Steam or something?

User is offline   Mark 

By choice. I'm a stubborn old man that longs for the days you bought the game from the local store, installed it to any computer in the house and played. No fuss, no worries.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 07 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

There is no fuss with steam. you install it, login, buy a game, and it downloads.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options