Duke4.net Forums: The Save Dnf Fund - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Save Dnf Fund

I suggest we make a global "Save DNF Fund"

I will gladly donate some money to save 3DR.

Who else is with me?

SAVE DNF, YES WE CAN!!!

User is offline   Floodge 

3D Realms would probably close it's doors before asking it's FANS for help.

I will donate if they need.

This post has been edited by Floodge: 07 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

I wouldn't trust them my money.

View PostLotan, on May 7 2009, 09:46 AM, said:

I wouldn't trust them my money.

They might fund a company BBQ with it, or George will bet it in a poker game, or it will go to pay some employee who's years of work won't amount to much when they switch engines or cancel the game.

Don't blame you!

User is offline   Spiker 

I don't think DNF fund is a good idea. The game will be released or not and I doubt that you could collect enough money to keep it going. Besides nothing is confirmed yet about DNF so keep your heads up. And even if there will never be DNF there's always Duke3d :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Spiker: 07 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostFloodge, on May 7 2009, 09:11 PM, said:

They might fund a company BBQ with it, or George will bet it in a poker game, or it will go to pay some employee who's years of work won't amount to much when they switch engines or cancel the game.

Don't blame you!

Funding a BBQ actually might be a good use for the money.

User is offline   d3drocks 

a fund is a good idea, but to buy the rights to dnf.
if the community makes it, it will be what we expect from it.

On the topic of such ideas

How about free labor? Imagine DNF finished in the same way as a MOD is done. I mean some mod teams are pretty high quality, like the BMS team.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

If my math is correct and that rumored $5 million needed to finish the game is accurate, that breaks down to roughly 100,000 fans donating $50.
It's not impossible and I'd do it.

User is offline   Kathy 

And if they said they would need another 5 million?

Kicking George out of the project and then donating... Well, maybe.

Besides, this, so called, "donation" is what publishers are doing. Fans "donate" by buying the game. If 3DR is so stubborn(after so many failes attempts) to have some kind of deadlines from the external publisher then it's only logical they end like this.

View PostLotan, on May 7 2009, 12:32 PM, said:

And if they said they would need another 5 million?

Kicking George out of the project and then donating... Well, maybe.

Besides, this, so called, "donation" is what publishers are doing. Fans "donate" by buying the game. If 3DR is so stubborn(after so many failes attempts) to have some kind of deadlines from the external publisher then it's only logical they end like this.

They could take a loan and then that the 5 million back when 100,000 of us buy games.

EDIT: Who has 5 million to loan right now? And would 3DR sooner die then take a loan?

This post has been edited by Floodge: 07 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

Sell 100k digital download codes for fans now, deliver game. There is huge risks involved here, if the game isn't released even after that....

Those codes could include some stuff, as extra.

Yeah, GM lives on loan, I haven't even checked how much loan they have, but still. A lot of companies have loan, and I can't see why 3D Realms rather go bust, than try to get a loan.

This post has been edited by peoplessi: 07 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

View Postpeoplessi, on May 7 2009, 05:12 PM, said:

Sell 100k digital download codes for fans now, deliver game. There is huge risks involved here, if the game isn't released even after that....

Those codes could include some stuff, as extra.

Yeah, GM lives on loan, I haven't even checked how much loan they have, but still. A lot of companies have loan, and I can't see why 3D Realms rather go bust, than try to get a loan.

I'll try anything once(within reason of course).

I like that idea peoplessi.

The fans and people who worked hard on the game over the years deserve a proper "close" to this story. The only one acceptable to me
is that the game gets finished and released.

• Honored Donor

BUT, the big hurdle is, there is no developers left... How likely are they to return to the project?

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on May 7 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

I suggest we make a global "Save DNF Fund"

I will gladly donate some money to save 3DR.

Who else is with me?

SAVE DNF, YES WE CAN!!!

I would gladly donate $100, if that meant total, unrestricted, perpetual access to nightly DNF builds until the game is done.

What about asking id to take DNF in their hands instead?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 07 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

User is offline   Nihilanth 

Sorry, I don't have confidence in 3DR at all.

User is offline   MAT 

I would never donate money for 3D Realms, after what they have done. Still no word from GB or SM. They don't even care to elaborate on the situation. I will miss the people from 3DRealms, but not 3DRealms itself.

For anyone considering donating money, consider what a financial columnist once wrote about a dubious investment idea:

If you hate your money that much, please send it to me.

This post has been edited by AgentScotty: 07 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

User is offline   andwan0 

Preorder Duke Nukem Forever in whatever state it's in. Unfinished business, etc. Beta test.

That way 3D Realms can get back on track... and chance it with the after sales.

Or do a MMORPG Duke Nukem Forever.. that guarantees income for life.

Anyway, I'll donate money. Where's the PayPal address? dukenukemforever@paypal.com

User is offline   Tedades 

We don't even know why they are closing. If they say: "Hey guys, if we have some money we can go on!", I'll donate.
But if they don't want to work at 3DR anymore for some reason, donating sounds useless to me.
Unless we donate so they have some cash while looking for other work...

User is offline   Hudson 

• Meat Popsicle

Sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

User is offline   Gamebrain 

After 13 years of waiting, I wouldn't trust them with my money. Don't get me wrong, I loved 3DR to bits but dammit, I wouldn't send money to them.

User is offline   Kennerado 

• Honored Donor

LAME, dont be so stupid.

User is offline   Tedades 

For anyone that cares, Joe has a paypal account you can donate to:
http://www.rangerfans.com/archives/2009/05...hort_break.html
http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/2009/05/...hort_break.html

He posted these on the 3DR forums.
Money would NOT go to DNF, but to Joe himself.

User is offline   Kathy 

I beg your pardon? Why would Joe need a donation? He's living in Africa with no money to fight the maleria or what? Jeez...

• Honored Donor

View Postandwan0, on May 8 2009, 05:14 PM, said:

Preorder Duke Nukem Forever in whatever state it's in...

I'm sorry, but as good you think your idea is, it won't help a bit. Preorders benefit the retailer, not the game developer/publisher. Nullifying the effect that campaign would have.

The points I made above stay:

1) Let's imagine a situation where they can get the 5million, via selling preorder digital download codes or whatever method - also, very short timeframe mind you!
2) Now the hard part, people to finish the game? It was mostly in-house work, so a lot of time will be spent on familiriazing people on the workflow. Not to mention, the game wouldn't be the same without those people that are responsible for this iteration. I mean, you can replace some, but not all. That's how it goes. Those images show DNF in fairly advanced state of development.
3) ...and here we are, the donation wouldn't help, unless you can muster up 5million NOW, not in 12months
4) oh, and the law issues, I don't really care about them, but they count for something too

Yeah, the idea is very nice, but not doable.

I look at it like this: if 3D Realms wanted my money then they should have released a product for me to purchase. Then I would have gladly given them my money. In fact, I did exactly that when I bought Duke Nukem 3D, Max Payne 1 and 2, and Prey.

Also, if they couldn't get the job done after 12+ years and who knows how many millions of dollars then what's the chance a measly donation is going to make a difference at this point? The phrase "throwing good money after bad" comes to mind.

This post has been edited by Mountain Man: 08 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

View PostMountain Man, on May 8 2009, 09:37 AM, said:

I look at it like this: if 3D Realms wanted my money then they should have released a product for me to purchase. Then I would have gladly given them my money. In fact, I did exactly that when I bought Duke Nukem 3D, Max Payne 1 and 2, and Prey.

Also, if they couldn't get the job done after 12+ years and who knows how many millions of dollars then what's the chance a measly donation is going to make a difference at this point? The phrase "throwing good money after bad" comes to mind.

Oh but remember... GB and the rest of 3DR didn't ask to buy those games or wait around for DNF. As far as they are concerned they are making the game for themselves and not their fans.

View PostTedades, on May 8 2009, 11:14 AM, said:

For anyone that cares, Joe has a paypal account you can donate to:
http://www.rangerfans.com/archives/2009/05...hort_break.html
http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/2009/05/...hort_break.html

He posted these on the 3DR forums.
Money would NOT go to DNF, but to Joe himself.

View PostLotan, on May 8 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

I beg your pardon? Why would Joe need a donation? He's living in Africa with no money to fight the maleria or what? Jeez...

Joe clarified this issue on the 3DR forums: He's been the webmaster for those sites for years, and over the years the visitors there have asked him if he had a tip jar so that they could show their appreciation for his work. He's not hitting ppl up cold for money, it's something visitors on those sites have already offered to give him over the years.

User is offline   Kathy 

I don't know. I wouldn't post those links on the 3dr forums using the thread with most views. There is no easier thing, but to follow links in his profile to end up on his personal sites. It doesn't matter really, though. But I was really amazed.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options