Duke4.net Forums: Here's how to run SiN in widescreen and in stereoscopy! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Here's how to run SiN in widescreen and in stereoscopy!

Rememer SiN? That 1998 game by Ritual that was released with showstopping bugs which a huge patch subsequently solved, and that probably some of us didn't buy, thinking that DNF would come out in few months, so it wasn't worth it to buy a ripoff?
Yeah, that one.

Well, I've just been able to run it in widescreen, in high resolution and in stereoscopy. I'm posting this guide so that anyone else who wants to try will be able to, without having to "reinvent the wheel".
First, a disclaimer: this guide refers to the version you can buy from GOG.com.

If you have a system like mine (Windows 7, nVidia video card, iz3D stereoscopic drivers) and you try to run SiN just after installing it, you'll be disappointed to see that the game is not displayed at all, but instead it only displays a couple of blue/gray rectangles. Do not panic. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, bring up the task manager and terminate Sin.exe. This happened because the GOG version of SiN is bundled with nGlide, a Glide-to-D3D9 wrapper which is incompatible with the iz3D drivers.

- So, first, open your SiN directory and get rid of all files relating to nGlide (glide.dll, glide2.dll, glide3.dll, nglide_config.exe, nglide_readme.txt)
- Now rename Sin.exe to Quake2.exe (yes, really, I'll explain later why) and launch it again. Its configuration will revert to software mode. Probably, the 2D graphics will not be displayed correctly, but you'll be able to read the text and quit the game.
- Rename your SiN executable back to Sin.exe.
- Go to the Widescreen Gaming Forum, reach the page about SiN and download the SiN patcher for the retail version. Save it into the same directory as Sin.exe.
- Launch the SiN patcher, enter your desired resolution into the text boxes and click "Apply resolution".
- Download GLDirect from Sourceforge and unzip it anywhere. This is an OpenGL to Direct3D9 wrapper, very useful to run games based on Quake 1, 2 or 3 in stereoscopy.
- Go to wherever you unzipped GLDirect, reach the subdirectory gldirect5\bin\release, cut opengl32.dll and paste it into the same directory as Sin.exe.
- Rename Sin.exe to Quake2.exe, again, and launch it.
- Configure it to use Default OpenGL, maximum detail with the resolution of 1152x864. Thanks to the patch you used before, it will actually use the resolution you want, instead. And thanks to the wrapper DLL you pasted, the OpenGL calls will be translated to Direct3D9, allowing the stereoscopic drivers to kick in and display SiN in glorious stereoscopy!

And the reason for renaming Sin.exe to Quake2.exe? Well, apparently, both nVidia and ATI video drivers apply certain optimizations depending on the name of the executable that is being launched. If you deceive the video drivers into believing you are running Quake2, they will apply the necessary optimizations that are required to run SiN. Otherwise, they won't, and SiN will crash.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Very cool...Could I run it in stereoscopic mode on my basement 3DTV?

View PostProtected by Viper, on 27 July 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Very cool...Could I run it in stereoscopic mode on my basement 3DTV?

Yes, if your PC has stereoscopic drivers installed. If you use nVidia stereoscopic drivers, you'll also need a 3D Vision controller so that 3D mode is activated.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Litecoin miners screw me over again! Thanks for forcing me to buy a 770 you dicks! Any way I can just use the 3D glasses Samsung provided me with?

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 28 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostProtected by Viper, on 28 July 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Litecoin miners screw me over again! Thanks for forcing me to buy a 770 you dicks! Any way I can just use the 3D glasses Samsung provided me with?

It depends on the drivers you have and what kind of 3D modes your TV supports. I know for certain that nVidia stereo drivers without a a 3D Vision controller are useless (I tried them, noticed that stereo mode would not switch on, asked in the forum and got that answer).

If you have any version of Windows EXCEPT Windows 8, you can get the Release Candidate version of the iz3D drivers, try all modes to see which one your 3D TV supports, then use a batch file to reset the trial period every time you switch on your PC (iz3D no longer accepts registrations). I would send you the appropriate batch file if one of the supported modes works for you.

If you have any version of Windows INCLUDING Windows 8, you can get the latest version of the TriDef drivers, try all modes to see which one your 3D TV supports, then buy an authentication key to keep using the drivers after 14 days.

I don't have a 3D TV. What I have is an HMZ-T1 head-mounted display that I use with the iz3D drivers in side-by-side mode.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 28 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

User is offline   Ahcruna 

This is great, thanks for the guide and heads up. :P

And with a similar method, you'll be able to play Duke Nukem Manhattan Project in widescreen and stereoscopy too. You won't have to rename anything, but you'll need to use another wrapper because DNMP uses some functions that GLDirect does not support.

For widescreen:
- Go to \duke\base\ and open config.cfg with a text editor.
- Find this line: uset r_mode "1024x768x32"
- Change it to the resolution you desire.

For stereoscopy:
- Configure DNMP so that it uses OpenGL
- After being sure that your stereoscopic drivers are correctly set up, download the latest version of QIndieGL
- Unzip it anywhere
- Reach the place where you unzipped it, double-click on the .reg file to apply the required registry modifications and cut opengl32.dll
- Paste opengl32.dll into your DNMP directory

One thing that, unfortunately, you cannot do with this method is play Duke3D or Prey in stereoscopy, because no OpenGL to Direct3D wrapper currently supports all functions they use.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 28 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Attached File  DirectQ 2011-09-02 Executable.zip (428.23K)
Number of downloads: 219
Bumping the thread because:

1) would an admin please change the title of the thread to "Here's how to run old games in widescreen and in stereoscopy!" ?

2) I found a Quake 1 port that renders the scene with Direct3D 9, so, if you use that, the stereoscopic drivers will automatically intercept all the calls it makes and render it in stereoscopy, and you won't have to lose your sanity with wrappers. It also supports widescreen resolutions, high resolution texture packs (they are automatically recognized without specifying any parameter), and it works with both Quake mission packs too. Just download the latest version (attached to this post to avoid losing it should the Quaddicted page ever disappear), unzip it into your Quake directory and doubleclick DirectQ.exe.
For mission packs, you'll need to create and use batch files with the following content:
directq -game hipnotic for Scourge of Armagon
directq -rogue for Dissolution of Eternity

3) Any hope of ever getting a Direct3D 9 renderer for EDuke32? :( Access to stereoscopy would give a whole new meaning to "Duke Nukem 3D" :(

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 11 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options