Duke4.net Forums: Does eduke play lame duke? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does eduke play lame duke?

User is offline   Darkhog 

Can eduke play lame duke (dn3d beta)? Or am I stuck with dos version if I want to play it?

No, it doesn't. I honestly don't see any real reason for it to anyway

User is offline   Fulsy 

The best way to play lameduke on a modern PC is to learn to run it on dosbox.

Lameduke obviously runs on a rather ancient version of the build engine. I don't think eduke32 will even run the maps.

User is offline   Darkhog 

Well, few levels had something cool going on about them (for example on one map elevator moves to room that seems to be directly above another - dunno if it was TROR that was removed in retail version or did it use teleport trick).

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDarkhog, on 04 July 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Well, few levels had something cool going on about them (for example on one map elevator moves to room that seems to be directly above another - dunno if it was TROR that was removed in retail version or did it use teleport trick).

TROR is engine-side, which means it never existed in the 90s if Ken didn't make it, which he didn't. Every game with ROR or fake elevators did it with teleporters and/or viewportals. Game devs couldn't mess with engine code.

Mapster32 can read the old map format version, but the game won't play like it did in the beta, making running in EDuke32 pointless. The whole idea with playing a beta is seeing the old programming behavior, not just seeing old levels.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

The elevator still exists in the retail version, main difference is that in LD it allowed you to select a direction (crouch + use = down, jump + use = up), Allowing multiple floors with a teleporting elevator. It's just the standard teleporting elevator otherwise, very similar to the ones in E2L1 or E3L4.
The only real "movement" effect that doesn't exist anymore in the code is a "flooding room" code seen here: PICTURE

Dosbox with a low cycle count is a good way to experience it.
In case you want to see what it has to offer, I did a playtrough video from an old DOS laptop along with some screenshots.
Video
Picture "Walktrough" with comments

I suggest watching videos or other media since the game play experience in LD isn't really enjoyable. Most of the maps are pretty confusing to navigate around in and a bunch of them can't even be completed. It's also difficult to get it to run at somewhat right speed.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 04 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   t800 

No, it doesnt.

But... there is one older LameDuke inspired mod for Eduke32 you can try.
http://dukertcm.com/...ns/lamedukex.7z
Problem is that it is packed with obsolete version of Eduke32 and I dont think it is compatible with any other version than that pre-packed one.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Personally I'm quite a fan of LameDuke, and in fact I played through almost every level in summer 2011 with a modified CON file I got off RTCM that turns off player invincibility, and also activates actor code for the Bazooka-wielding gentleman (and possibly tweaks some other things too). It wasn't super challenging but I really love some of the levels which are very atmospheric.

While there is indeed no reason for EDuke32 to support LameDuke, I'm a bit surprised that no one seemingly ever attempted to produce an emulation of this version using EDuke32 as the base. Googling suggests there have been projects of map remakes that can run with retail Duke3D, as well as numerous ambitious projects to create beta-themed mods with pre-release screenshots as a reference, but no project to simply allow LameDuke to run natively on modern platforms as it is, with proper high resolution support and minimal crashes.

I understand that such a project probably requires at least some interest and/or affection for the source material (whereas many topics concerning LameDuke mods contain explicit statements from various users that it's not worth such effort). However, speaking theoretically, how much effort would it require to reproduce game behaviours from LD in EDuke32? Can EDuke32 make use of LD CON files? I know it discards them as having errors, but if modified, could it use them normally?

User is offline   neznam 

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 January 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Personally I'm quite a fan of LameDuke, and in fact I played through almost every level in summer 2011 with a modified CON file I got off RTCM that turns off player invincibility, and also activates actor code for the Bazooka-wielding gentleman (and possibly tweaks some other things too).

Do you still have it?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If it was ever on RTCM, it's still on RTCM, so have a look.

User is offline   neznam 

View PostHendricks266, on 06 January 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

If it was ever on RTCM, it's still on RTCM, so have a look.

Okay. Found it.

A thought that has just occurred to me is that a project to emulate LameDuke using sources from other Build engine games is justified if only because it will encourage detailed, systematic in-depth analysis of this version of Duke3D. I mean, do we really know it inside-out? There are some cool sources like that project to examine and analyse the maps (I can't find the link to it ATM, anyone?), but is there even a document/wiki to present all info available in a systematic way? (there's a LameDuke page at TCRF but anything else?)

Intuitively it feels that LameDuke might have some similarities to Ken Silverman's Build demo. Both share certain features, like the rotating menu header and the reflecting floors (I'm assuming the nature of this particular effect is the same in both). I wonder what a study of Ken-Build's code and comparison to observations of LameDuke behaviour and features could yield.

User is offline   Kawa 

The reflecting floor is indeed from what I can tell exactly the same floormirror effect. The "rotating menu header" threw me off because KenBuild has no menu, but you must mean the spinny-zoomy logo? That'd be a dead giveaway.

View PostKawa, on 07 January 2017 - 03:23 AM, said:

The "rotating menu header" threw me off because KenBuild has no menu, but you must mean the spinny-zoomy logo?

Exactly, that's what I meant. I'm not sure if LameDuke also has the fading in effect from Ken-Build.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Lameduke is mostly built on top of kenbuild example code snippets and pretty much all build engine features got extra priority for duke so there is a lot of overlap. Kenbuild is basically a zoo map that evolved feature by feature.

I basically know the game inside out bu this point and doing a port with a bunch of fixes is something i want to pull off some day.

I did a playthrough few years back, do you mean this ?
My link

User is offline   dwtietz 

I'm trying to get Lameduke running in eduke32, and I've updated the .con scripts to a minimum point where I no longer receive con script compiling errors but when I attempt to launch the game it just crashes back to the desktop. I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if the Lameduke .map files might need to be updated to a newer version of the .map file format? If it's not that, then I think I might know what to look for next, but I'd like to be able to rule out whether the version of the map files might be a roadblock first.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

It could be anything in between.
You should check the logs.

For things like these you should replace components piece by piece to see what is causing it, use stock maps to see if things load.
Also there are fundamental changes to the CON and GAME during all of 1995, despite getting rid of errors, you won't be able to run it's code as-is.

You will have better luck just rewriting things honestly.
EDuke32 is flexible enough that you can re-implement pretty much everything on a more stable codebase.

View Postoasiz, on 08 December 2021 - 03:08 AM, said:

It could be anything in between.
You should check the logs.

For things like these you should replace components piece by piece to see what is causing it, use stock maps to see if things load.
Also there are fundamental changes to the CON and GAME during all of 1995, despite getting rid of errors, you won't be able to run it's code as-is.

You will have better luck just rewriting things honestly.
EDuke32 is flexible enough that you can re-implement pretty much everything on a more stable codebase.

Yup. Looking at the log was the first thing I did. Nothing there, and I sort of expect it to be a bit of both (map version and additional con file changes).

I'm not even necessarily looking to create an absolutely 100% perfect update of the lameduke files; if I can get it to a point where it will load the maps and allow the player to walk around with some (hopefully most) functionality intact while trying to stick to the variable values as closely as possible that can be found in the original lameduke con files (ammo ammounts and stuff like that for example) then I'll be happy enough with that. Anything more that ends up working will just be extra gravy.

As far as the pre-existing/original lameduke .con scripts go, it wasn't hard to get them updated to the point where there were no more con script compiling errors. Despite the differences, the structure and commands in the scripts are very similar to what's in the released versions a year later, so it was mostly just small syntax changes to bring that much up to speed.

I'm fairly certain that there's going to be more that I need to do with the .con files yet, but I'm going to try to get the .map files converted up to v7 first as I'm pretty sure that'll need to be done too, and it will be easier than attempting to patch more content into the .con files that isn't yet present (although this probably won't be overly difficult either).

This post has been edited by dwtietz: 08 December 2021 - 04:38 AM

User is offline   LakiSoft 

View Postdwtietz, on 08 December 2021 - 04:37 AM, said:

Yup. Looking at the log was the first thing I did. Nothing there, and I sort of expect it to be a bit of both (map version and additional con file changes).

I'm not even necessarily looking to create an absolutely 100% perfect update of the lameduke files; if I can get it to a point where it will load the maps and allow the player to walk around with some (hopefully most) functionality intact while trying to stick to the variable values as closely as possible that can be found in the original lameduke con files (ammo ammounts and stuff like that for example) then I'll be happy enough with that. Anything more that ends up working will just be extra gravy.

As far as the pre-existing/original lameduke .con scripts go, it wasn't hard to get them updated to the point where there were no more con script compiling errors. Despite the differences, the structure and commands in the scripts are very similar to what's in the released versions a year later, so it was mostly just small syntax changes to bring that much up to speed.

I'm fairly certain that there's going to be more that I need to do with the .con files yet, but I'm going to try to get the .map files converted up to v7 first as I'm pretty sure that'll need to be done too, and it will be easier than attempting to patch more content into the .con files that isn't yet present (although this probably won't be overly difficult either).

Try this one, note it's bit tricky to get it work. Try switching between Software and OpenGL mode, try using -forcegl parameter in batch file too in case it doesn't work.
Download: https://files.fm/f/qsqcmceee

Hope this helps.

View PostGingis Khan, on 08 December 2021 - 11:04 AM, said:

Try this one, note it's bit tricky to get it work. Try switching between Software and OpenGL mode, try using -forcegl parameter in batch file too in case it doesn't work.
Download: https://files.fm/f/qsqcmceee

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link. I'll probably check this out, but not until after I try to get this up and running on my own if I can. One of the biggest reasons for me trying to do this is to see if I can make anything useful out of it on my own - Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but trying to make things work that "shouldn't" is half the fun. :P

Appreciate the link to another project that has attempted the same sort of thing though. After I'm done I'll try comparing them to each other to see what each of us may have done the same, or differently.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options