Duke4.net Forums: Is there any reason NOT to use a source port in this day and age? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there any reason NOT to use a source port in this day and age?

Source ports don't rely on emulation, therefore run better in a Windows environment.

Also, most source ports have goodies for compatibility with modern hardware. EDuke32 is a jack-of-all-trades port, it does everything great except for multiplayer. DXX-Rebirth is a nice recreation of Descent in modern PCs.

The only situation I can recall where a DOS executable is preferred over a source port is if you're speedrunning Doom, because Compet-N doesn't accept records achieved using most source ports.

Also, I feel somewhat guilty playing DOS over a source port. I mean, in the case of EDuke32, it's been 10 years of hard work. Preferring the "worse" version instead of a source port feels wrong to me. :P

User is offline   Hank 

Not sure about the actual question.
Old title games from GoG come with a build in DosBox. Does DosBox count as a port, or do you want to know why some simply don't use EDuke? I don't because to the best of my knowledge it is not finished. Also, hi-def/res with super fine stereophonic sound ain't not make a better game. The designers of those original games used the available technology to the best of their abilities, and is usually sufficient to enjoy those games with.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostHank, on 02 July 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

Does DosBox count as a port, or do you want to know why some simply don't use EDuke? I don't because to the best of my knowledge it is not finished.

Ummm... OK, that's enough forums for me for tonight.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Does DosBox count as a port, or do you want to know why some simply don't use EDuke?

Posted Image

Not sure about the actual question.
Old title games from GoG come with a build in DosBox. Does DosBox count as a port, or do you want to know why some simply don't use EDuke? I don't because to the best of my knowledge it is not finished. Also, hi-def/res with super fine stereophonic sound ain't not make a better game. The designers of those original games used the available technology to the best of their abilities, and is usually sufficient to enjoy those games with.

DOSBox isn't a port, it's an emulator. Totally different things.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 02 July 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Source ports don't rely on emulation, therefore run better in a Windows environment.

Also, most source ports have goodies for compatibility with modern hardware. EDuke32 is a jack-of-all-trades port, it does everything great except for multiplayer. DXX-Rebirth is a nice recreation of Descent in modern PCs.

The only situation I can recall where a DOS executable is preferred over a source port is if you're speedrunning Doom, because Compet-N doesn't accept records achieved using most source ports.

Also, I feel somewhat guilty playing DOS over a source port. I mean, in the case of EDuke32, it's been 10 years of hard work. Preferring the "worse" version instead of a source port feels wrong to me. :P

Extra nostalgia I guess

I don't do it often, but once in a while I will boot doom or duke3d in dosbox just because, though very rare. I mostly stick to GZDoom/Eduke for actually playing.

I play something like Daggerfall in dosbox because there is no port yet.

That being said I think using the actual hardware for me personally feels like a more interesting option, especially for games I never played as a kid.

I'd love to pop in the daggerfall disc and actually install it on a DOS machine and have it running as it would've been on a computer from 1996.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Multiplayer trough dosbox works pretty well over the internet and one major difference is the lack of the "attract mode" demo when compared to the retail version. Although the support for demos is there, the originals just won't work due to version differences.
Aside from that, what Bloodshot said: Nostalgia.
Also purists might prefer the original version for certain bugs or other stuff that got fixed.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 02 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Source ports are good for the extra features/fixes they bring, and\or the extra modding possibilities. (BTW, this is also true for source ports that run in DOS, like BOOM.) But it's good to have the option to play the original thing too.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 02 July 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

DOSBox isn't a port, it's an emulator. Totally different things.

Fair enough. Still, I only use one source port ZDoom for playing Doom II, all other older games I use D-Fend or what came with GoG. I went from one extreme to the other. From wanting the latest eye candy to fuck them all.

@ Viper, dude, I don't do shootings like that, to chicken to die Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Have you tried Chocolate Doom?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 July 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Have you tried Chocolate Doom?

Nope, but I know about it. If you want the original experience it might be better than DOSBox actually.

One port I really like (to the point of being a fan) is DXX-Rebirth for Descent. Mostly original gameplay with some eyecandy added here and there. And runs much better than that sluggish D2X-XL, too.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostHank, on 03 July 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

@ Viper, dude, I don't do shootings like that, to chicken to die Posted Image

Which came first, ranch, or cool ranch?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 03 July 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Which came first, ranch, or cool ranch?

vegetables Posted Image

User is offline   Komenja 

View PostHank, on 03 July 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

vegetables Posted Image

Buffalo Chicken!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options