• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DOOM (New Game)

View PostBloodshot, on 10 June 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

Holy fucking pessimism batman

I think if there was any more pessimism in this thread time itself would rewind

Fully agreed.
Some people are just pretentious bastards that didn't get it yet. Doom4 is supposed to suck and is supposed to be dead by all that happened recently.
If the game is anything like this teaser, it will be thousands of times better than I was expecting it to be at this point.
Picking on such detail is so hopeless.
Some of you don't seem to understand that your picky shit would have been justified back when doom3 came out, back when doom sequels were still expected to be amazing.
Today, realistic people need to expect doom 4 to suck major ass.
If doom4 manages to be even a moderately decent game, it will already be so much more than it's expected of it to be.

It's fucking obvious that everything will look different from how it looked in doom1 and doom2.
And obviously, if everything will look like doom3, it will also not be good.

Doom4 could very well attempt to reboot the series just like doom3 did.
I absolutely loved the details on the Cyberdemon and I think this teaser was executed masterfully.
If you can put your naive expectations to the side and actually judge this game for being a pure reboot, then stop asking for old designs to make a comeback.
You need to accept that doom4 will never be a doom1 or doom 2 carbon copy with modern graphics.

Expect doom4 to be to doom 1 and 2 what Wolfenstein the new order is to the old Wolfenstein games.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 11 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMr.Deviance, on 10 June 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

It's fucking obvious that everything will look different from how it looked in doom1 and doom2.

LOL, this is the crowd that hates anything that is more than 64 pixels on a side. They never accepted Doom 3 as it didn't use sprites.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 10 June 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

Expect doom4 to be to doom 1 and 2 what Wolfenstein the new order is to the old Wolfenstein games.

So basically a cinematic, linear, scripted shooter... didn't they reboot Doom 4 due to those reasons?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I only said the demon looks stupid. The game could very well be quite fun.

• Polymancer

Bloodshot - id have shed a lot of staff recently, and they all tell of a terrible management structure and a complete misunderstanding of what Doom should be about - culminating in a full reboot and the aforementioned Carmack story.

I love Doom and I'm excited about this game, but from everything I've heard it's going to be a train wreck. I'd love to be wrong and have it be wonderful, but all the indicators point the other way.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Doom 4 has basically gone through a shorter version of what DNF went through.

Doom 4 has lost key members, restarted development multiple times due to poor management and having no idea what they want the game to be, plus id's last game was the mediocre RAGE.
All this doesn't inspire confidence.

Why can't the legendary FPSs of the past catch a break?
Duke and Doom suffered in development hell, Wolfenstein is mediocre and Quake & Half Life are MIA.

The only one that seems to have done alright was Shadow Warrior.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 11 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Maybe it's because SW is more obscure of the lot. I mean half the reason these reboots/sequels whatever have such a tenuous development is exactly because the previous games were so legendary.

User is offline   Paul B 

If there's no Co-op play through the mission like Doom 1 & 2 had I'm really not interested in another single player experience. Those days are over for me. I'm willing to bet this will be another release that goes directly into the discount bin and will still be too expensive at 5 dollars a copy.

If they made the game play style like Left For Dead. Then it might be worth a look.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 11 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostxMobilemux, on 11 June 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

Duke and Doom suffered in development hell, Wolfenstein is mediocre and Quake & Half Life are MIA.

After the wretchedness that was Quake IV, I'm not so upset that the series is MIA.

View PostComrade Major, on 11 June 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

After the wretchedness that was Quake IV, I'm not so upset that the series is MIA.

Funny you say that because I absolutely loved Quake IV
It reminded me of quake 2 so much and it also reminded me of quake 1 in some of the last levels.
They tried to explain what was up with the monsters that threw their brains at you in quake 1 and they did it in the last levels of quake 4 very good.

The pessimism is entirely justified. There's not a lot to love regarding the "matured" industry. We all know this game ain't going to be special. Anyway, better to expect shit because it would be a nice surprise if it turns out good ^_^

• The Sarien Encounter

Quake 4 was terrible. Raven really started dropping the ball after their Q3 engine stuff.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

User is offline   Hool 

I wish developers would just drop the whole "not numbering sequels because we haven't released a sequel in about 5 years" thing. We've had Wolfenstein, Doom, Crackdown, Killer Instinct, Thief, Rise of the Triad, Sonic The Hedgehog and I'm pretty sure there are more than that. Now, if the game is terrible then people will say "DOOM sucked" and you'll have to respond with "Which DOOM?". Just call it Doom 4, we as gamers don't care if there hasn't been a sequel since 2004!

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 June 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Quake 4 was terrible. Raven really started dropping the ball after their Q3 engine stuff.

I actually enjoyed Q4 compared to Doom 3.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 11 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

• Polymancer

I liked both of them. I just think that Doom 3 was far too repetitive, and then ended, just as it got going.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Doom 3 was the biggest letdown a game has ever given me.

It was absolutely awful. It falls into every trap a bad FPS can fall into.

The other end of the scale is Sonic Generations. "Oh wow, this is going to be kiddy crap again." "Oh my God, the control and level design is amazing."

View PostBloodshot, on 10 June 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

Holy fucking pessimism batman

I think if there was any more pessimism in this thread time itself would rewind

id Software is teh aids, bro. They haven't done anything good in years and this project has been rebooted at least twice now.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 11 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I liked Doom 3. What was everyone expecting anyway? I do agree it was repetitive.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Sonic Generations.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I found Q4 really meh, and I enjoyed Doom 3 quite a bit, though I hated it my first time through.

Though to be fair I've never really been a huge fan of Q2 either (too samey for my taste) so that might have something to do with it.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 11 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I find Doom 3 to be quite enjoyable and I replay it a lot.
Just write down all the passwords for doors that are mission critical and ignore any secret lockers, they rarely offer you anything worthwhile anyways and just slow you down.
It also helps I know all the enemy spawns and monster closets, so I can shoot off the shotgun into a wall right after I pick up an armor piece and a monster climbs down. Its actually turned into my routine of playing Doom and Doom 2, coming up with these patterns through the levels and enemy locations, etc etc. Its become more of a run and gun game and has been so much more entertaining as a result. Also, the duct tape mod is a must, or actually just don't even use it, the game honestly isn't all that dark compared to how games aesthetics are nowadays.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Doom 3 had issues, but on the whole it wasn't too bad. I think their biggest pitfall was a little too much copy-paste in the level design department, and the loss of Trent Reznor on sound design.

This teaser doesn't tease anything. I'm not interested in seeing where it goes. The cyberdemon doesn't look that much better than the Doom III iteration (Both are way too over designed.)

Personally I think they should drop the attempts at amping up scares and embrace the atmosphere and almost comic-book like tone of the original games premise.

Of course all of that means nothing, because the game will very likely be a cardboard cut out of a shooter. Only you'll shoot generic demon looking things that bare vague resemblances to the classic monsters instead of generic soldiers.

User is offline   Malgon 

I'm a little bit interested to see what id can come up with after seeing this teaser, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up or expecting anything great of course. considering how development has gone so far.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Hell i'm seeing people already turning back to this game on some other forums.

Does it really only take a vague-nostalgia binge Cybie and a sound effect off a stock library from 1993 to get people to go from understanding the reality that Doom 4 will be a big pile of shit because all of the talent that is required to make it anything GOOD is now gone to "YAY TEH DOOMZ!" ? Let me boot up 3DS Max 9, i'll wow the shit out of you with Doom 3 assets. Posted Image

Also, PPS, fuck whatever they say. It's DOOM IV/DOOM 4.

Umm IMHO... I would rather have Doom 64 II than this Doom 4. These folks listed in the credits in this picture needs to reunite, make a new Doom game using Doom 64-ed Id Tech 1 w/ more added feature never seen before in Doom 64 and make it digital downloadable multi-platform game on Steam, XBLA, PSN, Nintendo eShop, etc. Oh and while at it, make it user-level & mod friendly too! That crew gives the original Doom crew at id back in 1993 a run for its money.

EDIT: I forgot one thing. I think it's time to bring back the sprites from the 1990's don't you think?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Doom64Credits.jpg

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 12 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostBloodshot, on 11 June 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

I found Q4 really meh, and I enjoyed Doom 3 quite a bit, though I hated it my first time through.

Though to be fair I've never really been a huge fan of Q2 either (too samey for my taste) so that might have something to do with it.

I absolutely hated quake 2 after I played quake 1. So I know what you mean.
Quake 2 was never original to me and it annoyed me a lot.
Quake 4 however, was a much better quake 2 to me.

• The Sarien Encounter

I never liked any of the Quakes. Quake 1 is far too bizarre and dreary for me. Quake 2 had a more cohesive direction (and an awesome soundtrack) so it's better, but was still very samey throughout. Especially in OpenGL, everything is red, orange, and yellow. I don't like multiplayer only games usually, except for UT99 and CS, so Q3A was a snoozefest.

Quake 4 was basically Doom 3 with aliens instead of demons, actual lengthy outdoor areas (which was decent), terrible shoddy vehicle sections, and a gray palette instead of Q2's orange. A little more suspense/action oriented than Doom 3's horror theme, but when iD is involved all the bad guys and weapons look the same.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I loved Quake 1 because it was moody and atmospheric and the enemies were very lovecraftian. I liked Doom 64 because it felt like a Quake-ified doom. Funny you say that about Quake 4, because Quake 2 felt like Doom with aliens instead of demons to me, except the alien concepts were kinda ripped from star trek and were way to similar to one another.

The only thing I really liked about Q2 were some of the weapons, and playing multiplayer - but even then I prefer Quake 1, specifically Threewave CTF for it.

Though overall, I prefer Unreal/UT. I really wish Unreal would get a new single player game.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostBloodshot, on 12 June 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

Though overall, I prefer Unreal/UT. I really wish Unreal would get a new single player game.

YES! Although, in the same vein as Unreal 1. Unreal 2 missed the mark remarkably.

you can fix about 50% of Quake 4's problems by installing the mod that changes the soundtrack to Quake 2's. suprisingly there is quite a few audio tracks in the game that you don't even recognize because they're these awful ambient tracks that sound like basically nothing.

though yeah, Unreal/UT is pretty much the king of these sort of games. there's so much more interesting about them compared to Quake.

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 13 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

User is offline   -Rhetro- 

Everyone needs to chill the fuck out. YOU ARE ALL TOO PICKY, your nit picking and expectations of a teaser trailer are fucking ridiculous.

Honestly guys, its a video game, take the time to try and be a kid again and enjoy the trailer and think about some of the fun you have had with the Doom franchise.

I just think its absurd how negative you guys are being from a teaser trailer. NOTHING WILL EVER BE GOOD ENOUGH on here. Every time I come on here all I see is people complaining about the next thing they see.

Hmm, Lets give it a chance, maybe play it a bit when it comes out before we make all these accusations about the game that we know nothing about. Unless you are making the game, how then do you have a proper sample size to have an opinion about this right now?

The actual obsession of the detail of the teaser trailer is so fucked, some people on here are worse than Wrestling Smarks that think they know how to run things better than everyone else. If that teaser trailer made you decide oh well this shit sucks and im never playing the game, then if you have that level of pickiness then you have some serious issues in life.

For fuck sakes life isn't that bad, its a teaser trailer, try and enjoy something from time to time. Holly shit life is better when you look at things in an optimistic light.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Post-Rhetro-, on 13 June 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Typical apologist tripe

Sorry, buddy. DooM is one of my favorite games of all time and I WILL set ridiculously high standards for it, even for teaser trailers. Teasers are supposed to be first impressions, aren't they?

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options