Duke4.net Forums: Man the harpoons/turrets/whatever... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Man the harpoons/turrets/whatever...

Coming from the latest Wolfenstein game I was reminded how useless turret sections can be, especially in a singleplayer-only FPS.

What are your thoughts on them?
Which ones are your favourites/most disliked?
What is the earliest inclusion of a turret section in the game which you can remember?

And finally, do you honestly believe that a turret section belongs in a 2014+ FPS game, if no - do you believe that there is a way to make turret sections more appealing?

*For all intents and purposes turret sections are: Sections where you do not control the movement and you are using a gun that is unavailable for carry/use in the regular game and absolutely cannot proceed without it/the game demands it's use.
Example: Death From Above, Call of Duty 4 - you shoot from an AC-130 airplane piloted by the AI. It's a turret section.
Example: You uproot a turret from it's stand in Wolfenstein: The New Order - it's not a turret section, just a portable turret.

User is offline   Jblade 

Only if the turret is actually fun to use, or if it's set to some bitching music - the end of F.E.A.R 2 was probably one of the better turret fights (because it was set to this masterpeice)

User is offline   Komenja 

View PostJames, on 31 May 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

or if it's set to some bitching music -

This is why I enjoyed the turret sequences in Jurassic: the Hunted. That game had a nice, if very small, soundtrack in general and it always kicked up a guitar-heavy rock track when it put you in a turret.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Freaking sparingly. Maybe twice in a long campaign. I do not like having control taken away from me.

AN example: I was replaying the AVP campaign for the 2010 release. Mostly because I enjoy torturing myself I guess. Anyway, there's a part where you go into an out-building with some facehugger eggs. Should be spooky, mysterious, and it would be a helluva surprise to come around the corner and have eggs right in your face. Of course, the game takes control away from you for about 30 seconds to actually WALK YOU around the corner and show off the egg/lighting. Why? WHY? WHY?

Before anyone says, no, that's not a "turret" section per se, but they all play into that same stupid mindset of forcing the player into a very small spot of the overall media experience. Stop doing that shit game developers. STAHP. NO. BAD. Posted Image

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I can't remember what game it was off hand, but it had turrets/machine guns or something in it.
If you went and used one it was automatically scripted to spawn a bunch of enemies, so if you just skipped it nothing would spawn and the turrets provided no real use.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Yes... I remembered finally... Medal of Honor for the PSP made good use of turrets in the streets... as The Commander said, they spawned enemies when you attached. That part worked pretty good... and you could let go and handle them by hand if you wished. While it might not have added anything to the story or been crucial for game play, it didn't take away anything either if you were playing in a run and gun fashion. Another game I used to play on the PS2 did this also, but I am not sure which one it was... probably one of the Call of Duty games as that is what I played most as far as a military fighting games on PS2. (I really don't play many military fighting games anyway.)

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 01 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't mind a short turret section at the start of a campaign, especially if you're not stationary. Think the start of SiN and Blood Dragon, those were pretty awesome. Plus the turrets had pretty much unlimited ammo and no reload.

On the other hand of the spectrum, you have games like DNF, where you can spend up to several minutes at a time, at a stationary turret, with the cooldown mechanic. If there's anything that can make turret sections even less fun, it's being distracted by a counter, that forces you to stop shooting. The cooldown mechanic should fucking burn in the deepest depths of hell (where it can cool as much as it wants).

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I don't recall any of the turret sections in the new Wolfenstein being required. So i don't care if they are there because i just wont use them and I kinda feel that way about most turret sections. Ones that are required suck.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 01 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostReaperMan, on 01 June 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

I don't recall any of the turret sections in the new Wolfenstein being required. So i don't care if they are there because i just wont use them and I kinda feel that way about most turret sections. Ones that are required suck.

I couldn't remember any required ones either, then I remembered it starts off with one, although I don't think you have to actually shoot anything?

View PostThe Commander, on 01 June 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

I can't remember what game it was off hand, but it had turrets/machine guns or something in it.
If you went and used one it was automatically scripted to spawn a bunch of enemies, so if you just skipped it nothing would spawn and the turrets provided no real use.

There's been a few games that have done this, but I can't remember them at the moment. I want to say one of the Gears of War games did it, but I'm not 100%. You can't even rip off the turret either, meaning there is literally no point in using it in the first place

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 01 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Yup, after repairing the plane (which got me super immersed) you're in a turret. Then when said plane is downed, you have to turret a mecha-dog to death. So 2 required sections in the first 15 minutes.

This post has been edited by uraganotkirki: 02 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

User is offline   100199 

View Posturaganotkirki, on 02 June 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

Yup, after repairing the plane (which got me super immersed) you're in a turret. Then when said plane is downed, you have to turret a mecha-dog to death. So 2 required sections in the first 15 minutes.

that left me a very bad initial impression, but the game was solid overlal.

This post has been edited by 100199: 15 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

View Posturaganotkirki, on 02 June 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

Both of those sections were extremely short and soon after all turrets you found were detachable and made alot of sections more fun because of that.

User is offline   Komenja 

Plus they didn't have a shitty overheating mechanic.

User is offline   Soap DX 

Turret sections sorta go way back, just consider on rail shooters. I forget the name, virtual cop or something there are others. House of the dead, those are lots of fun. But they usually are pretty hyper, often over the top and keep moving.

As for normal shooters with turret sections I think their better when theirs motion like being in a chopper. Blood Dragon's initial turret section in the chopper was great and didn't drag on to long or nothing. SiN had a similar first level, it was short and stayed interesting.

Then you have boring ones like in duke nukem forever on the duke burger where you see enemies come slowly from a distace and you wait for them to be in range, its not the most boring thing but it does slow down the game.

Oh what about missle command or whatever, you are a turret on the ground and shoot planes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options